Amazon
2021-02-01 19:54:04 UTC
I doubt Frank will agree, but where is the modern Judge Harold Greene
when we need him?
I am a conservative, not a libertarian, and I find myself wondering
whether it might not be appropriate to break up Amazon into different
business units--marketplace, AWS, and delivery services, for example.
Worked for AT&T and much earlier for Standard Oil.

2021-02-01 20:12:01 UTC
I doubt Frank will agree, but where is the modern Judge
Harold Greene when we need him?
I am a conservative, not a libertarian, and I find myself
wondering whether it might not be appropriate to break up
Amazon into different business units--marketplace, AWS, and
delivery services, for example. Worked for AT&T and much
earlier for Standard Oil.
Bob Harper
I've probably forgotten most of what my mostly free-market
oriented professors at UCLA tried to teach me. But I recall
them saying we should judge by the actions of the market
players and not so much just the results. If someone has an
effective monopoly because of his smarts, skills, natural
market conditions, etc. and not because of illegal
activities that would be basically OK and probably best
viewed as temporary. If his behavior as a monopolist is
egregious enough (deleting comments, e.g.) he will be
inviting in competitors. I don't know why Amazon has
succeeded in acquiring such apparent market power (despite
probably its being obvious to everyone else).

Always remembering that in order to police and enforce
government antitrust actions, you have fund the bureaucracy
that's going to do the work. Who's going to control them?

Is the FAA treating SpaceX correctly/fairly?