OT - Pink Floyd - The Wall
Bob Lombard
2005-11-20 14:40:09 UTC
I'm aware that some readers of this ng enjoy rock music,
so...

If you have been searching for a good copy of the "The Wall"
LP set, I have one of those; freshly cleaned and in Near
Mint condition. It's yours for the cost of shipping ($3.50
media mail). The first-received application gets priority.

I acquired this as part of a collection, cleaned it for
sampling because I remember getting some pleasure out of the
"Dark Side of the Moon" album.

Oh well.

bl
John Harrington
2005-11-20 14:56:48 UTC
Post by Bob Lombard
I'm aware that some readers of this ng enjoy rock music,
so...
And, for another view, rock is crap.

ansermetniac
2005-11-20 15:41:53 UTC
Post by John Harrington
Post by Bob Lombard
I'm aware that some readers of this ng enjoy rock music,
so...
And, for another view, rock is crap.
What about Klezmer?

Abbedd
Gerard
What about smartlap?
Iain Neill Reid
2005-11-21 14:25:45 UTC
Post by John Harrington
Post by Bob Lombard
I'm aware that some readers of this ng enjoy rock music,
so...
And, for another view, rock is crap.
At the very least, I would have thought that you might appreciate this
as a picture of just how screwed up war-orphaned children can become

Neill Reid
Paul Ilechko
2005-11-22 15:26:25 UTC
Post by John Harrington
Post by Bob Lombard
I'm aware that some readers of this ng enjoy rock music,
so...
And, for another view, rock is crap.
And for yet another view, some rock music is very good, but Pink Floyd
are (mostly) crap.

William Sommerwerck
2005-11-20 16:29:05 UTC
Not all rock is crap. But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't understand how
people could like such simple music.
John Harrington
2005-11-20 16:38:18 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap.
And, for another view, all rock is crap.
Post by William Sommerwerck
But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't understand how
people could like such simple music.
Is this the same Glenn Gould that liked Petula Clark?

Bob Lombard
2005-11-20 17:02:51 UTC
Post by John Harrington
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap.
And, for another view, all rock is crap.
Post by William Sommerwerck
But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't understand how
people could like such simple music.
Is this the same Glenn Gould that liked Petula Clark?
Anyhow, I have a taker (not GG)

bl
ansermetniac
2005-11-20 17:02:44 UTC
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:29:05 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap. But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't understand how
people could like such simple music.
I Dream Of jeannie Witht eh Light Brown Hair is Simple. But sublime

Abbedd
Ian Pace
2005-11-20 17:03:50 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap. But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't understand how
people could like such simple music.
Those who think rock music is simple should try creating it.

Ian
Andrys Basten
http://www.andrys.com
William Sommerwerck
2005-11-21 03:51:00 UTC
Post by Andrys Basten
Post by Ian Pace
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap. But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't
understand how people could like such simple music.
Those who think rock music is simple should try creating it.
Exactly!
I would suggest that those who think rock and other popular music _isn't_
simple should compare it with a Beethoven piano sonata, a Brahms piano
concerto, or a Mahler symphony.
Raymond Hall
2005-11-21 04:37:27 UTC
Post by Andrys Basten
Post by Ian Pace
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap. But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't
understand how people could like such simple music.
Those who think rock music is simple should try creating it.
Exactly!
I would suggest that those who think rock and other popular music _isn't_
simple should compare it with a Beethoven piano sonata, a Brahms piano
concerto, or a Mahler symphony.
A bit of a "if it isn't somewhat complex, then it must be simple" argument,
surely. And who cares one way or the other about complexity, if it bores the
pants off 99% of potential listeners. And who cares about complexity for the
sake of complexity? Does it make some people feel good to say they are
listening to so-called complex music?

The best Rock has enormous entertainment, and in quite a few cases, enormous
musical value of a visceral kind, with touch and finesse in some cases. A
Dire Straits concert I attended in Sydney, demonstrated perhaps the most
moving, and affecting touch I have heard from any musician. Yes, Mark
Knoppfler wasn't a Hendrix, and neither was he a Clapton, but his finesse at
times, has been rarely bettered by any other musician from any other musical
genre. Same with Paul Simon's lyrics. At least they challenge the listener
beyond the kindergarten stage.

As others have said, if it is that simple, then I am surprised why the
*speaking and talking Rock-hating geniuses* here, are not into their first
50 million. But then we all know why don't we. Sheer lack of go get - or
maybe total lack of any musical talent. Or maybe because they are blinkered
beyond any sort of redemption concerning musical value and artistry.

In short, they merely waffle to hear the sound of their own pathetic voices.

Ray H
Taree
Andrys Basten
2005-11-21 05:54:56 UTC
Post by Andrys Basten
Post by Ian Pace
[...]
Right.

And it's not a matter of either/or. They're different forms
of music. Many here can play pieces composed by others
to some extent. FEW can produce the kind of music that has
been composed by many of the disdained whose area is rock.

Different forms. And there is a type of complexity
in most worthwhile music or even in the simplest motifs
(as we've seen in Classical too).

And, as with classical, there are bad and good practioners
of rock or "popular" (its real sin) music.

- A
http://www.andrys.com
Owen Hartnett
2005-11-21 12:34:23 UTC
Post by Andrys Basten
Post by Ian Pace
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap. But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't
understand how people could like such simple music.
Those who think rock music is simple should try creating it.
Exactly!
I would suggest that those who think rock and other popular music _isn't_
simple should compare it with a Beethoven piano sonata, a Brahms piano
concerto, or a Mahler symphony.
Or a Satie Gymnopedie, or MacDowell's "To a Wild Rose," or Wellington's
Victory or Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies.

-Owen
Chel van Gennip
2005-11-21 13:12:04 UTC
Post by Andrys Basten
Post by Ian Pace
Post by William Sommerwerck
Not all rock is crap. But as Glen Gould remarked, he didn't
understand how people could like such simple music.
Those who think rock music is simple should try creating it.
Exactly!
I would suggest that those who think rock and other popular music
_isn't_ simple should compare it with a Beethoven piano sonata, a Brahms
piano concerto, or a Mahler symphony.
Sometimes it is quite complex to make things look simple. A nice quote from
Einstein: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not
simpler." He did a nice job with his E=MC2.

BTW, a new registration of Beethovens Tempest in MP3 is available on the
website of my son. It is from the recital last Saturday. The video of the
Tempest on the site is from a recital last Thursday.

Why should we compare music, and specificly why should we compare Pink
Floyd with Beethoven? For Pink Floyd I recomend the video reistrations in
Venice and Pompeii. If I compare it with Beethoven, I see it is
different, so what?
--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com