WAYLTL - April 2021
2021-04-04 22:15:14 UTC
Paul Schutze - Deus ex Machina (Tone Casualties)
very good late 90s collage /concrete album
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-04 22:38:02 UTC
Elliott Sharp has been putting his operas online....

https://elliottsharpoperas.bandcamp.com/

American music needing to turn to Europe for performance....
number_six
2021-04-05 21:00:52 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Elliott Sharp has been putting his operas online....
https://elliottsharpoperas.bandcamp.com/
American music needing to turn to Europe for performance....
There's another guy I haven't kept up with!

Have a couple of his collaborations -- Soldier SQ and 'Orch Carbon -- but nought since.
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-06 22:03:36 UTC
I wasn't aware of the extent of his activities until more recently....
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-20 21:25:45 UTC
https://harrypartch.bandcamp.com/album/the-bewitched-a-ballet-satire

Authentic American weirdness, 1980 Berlin staging... released here
on digital last month, on the streaming services (supposedly?) this
past Friday. Various videos to be found on Bandcamp & Youtube too.
number_six
2021-04-21 18:22:27 UTC
Casella - Orchestral works volume 2 - Noseda, BBC Phil (Chandos)

Ferneyhough - La Chute d'Icare, other works - (Etcetera)
Spanjaard, Nieuw Ensemble et al

Andrew Clarke
2021-04-05 02:16:49 UTC
Post by number_six
Paul Schutze - Deus ex Machina (Tone Casualties)
very good late 90s collage /concrete album
Morton (not Marty) Feldman. Piano and String Quartet. Vicki Ray, Eclipse Quartet. My first encounter with this celebrated American composer. I'm going to need several more.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Henk vT
2021-04-05 10:16:27 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by number_six
Paul Schutze - Deus ex Machina (Tone Casualties)
very good late 90s collage /concrete album
Morton (not Marty) Feldman. Piano and String Quartet. Vicki Ray, Eclipse Quartet. My first encounter with this celebrated American composer. I'm going to need several more.
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Pompa Baldi: the Rheinberger sonatas.
Till Fellner: Reubke's Grand sonata and Schumann's Kreisleriana.
Very well performed and (therefore?) interesting music.

A Pfitzner and Villa-Lobos 'binge', to borrow DK's phrase. The first is difficult to listen to, the second is a man of moments, not of compositions.

Henk
Mr. Mike
2021-04-05 19:20:37 UTC
Recent SACDs from the local library:

Bartok, Wooden Prince and Miraculous Mandarin Suite, Helsinki SO,
Susanna Malkki (BIS). Mandarin is appropriately nasty.

Bruckner - LSO recording, London SO conducted by Rattle. Seems to be
in a rush in the first movement; I have Klemperer on LP, purchased in
Japan around 1973. The slow movement is broken between sides on my LP,
was this the same with the Angel release in North America?

Mahler, Symphony 1, Minnesota Orch, Vanska - the level of detail in
this recording is absurd. (BIS)

Norgard, Symphonies 1 & 8, Vienna SO, Oramo (DaCapo) - Can't get
excited to the level of the hype on the back cover, "one of the
greatest symphonists of our time." Couldn't finish this one.

Sudbin, Rachmaninov Piano Concertos 2 & 3, BBC SO, Oramo (BIS). The
left-hand chords at the beginning of No. 2 are played in a way I've
never heard before. He plays the "long" cadenza in the 3rd's first
movement.The Grammy-Phone slobbered over this one.

Tamara Stefanovich, Influences - works by Ives (Sonata 1), Bartok
(Improvisations on Hungarian Peasant Songs), Messiaen (Canteyodjaya),
Bach (Aria variata in A minor, BWV 989) (Pentatone)
number_six
2021-04-07 18:14:22 UTC
Post by Henk vT
A Pfitzner and Villa-Lobos 'binge', to borrow DK's phrase. The first is difficult to listen to, the second is a man of moments, not of compositions.
Henk
This is an adroit turn of phrase, but I would not apply it to Villa Lobos, many (of course not all) of whose compositions are IMO strong throughout.

If your binge includes the Five Preludes, whose recording?
Henk vT
2021-04-07 18:54:04 UTC
Post by Henk vT
A Pfitzner and Villa-Lobos 'binge', to borrow DK's phrase. The first is difficult to listen to, the second is a man of moments, not of compositions.
Henk
This is an adroit turn of phrase, but I would not apply it to Villa Lobos, many (of course not all) of whose compositions are IMO strong throughout.
If your binge includes the Five Preludes, whose recording?
Segovia and Schic. As far as I know, neither of them has recorded the complete Preludes. I was mainly looking for piano music or interpretations of it that I had not heard before. Along the way I picked up quite a few other interesting pieces. My judgment is based primarily on his piano music, and in particular the concertos.

2021-04-05 21:10:18 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by number_six
Paul Schutze - Deus ex Machina (Tone Casualties)
very good late 90s collage /concrete album
Morton (not Marty) Feldman. Piano and String Quartet. Vicki Ray, Eclipse Quartet. My first encounter with this celebrated American composer. I'm going to need several more.
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
I'm a Feldman fan but haven't heard that recording yet.

Cover depicts him sans cigarette. He might have been around longer without the nearly omnipresent butt.

Schade!
Néstor Castiglione
2021-04-08 07:17:10 UTC
Post by number_six
Paul Schutze - Deus ex Machina (Tone Casualties)
very good late 90s collage /concrete album
* Lise Davidsen's second recital for Decca. Her first one was disappointing. For somebody that was being hyped as the next Flagstad, her debut for Decca was pretty dull. Nothing special. Second time around, however, she sounds completely different. Rich, opulent, secure, with a touch of silver to her mid and top ranges. Her Wesendonck Lieder are one of the finest I've heard in a long time. The nimbleness with which she can wield her voice, the multifaceted emotions which she can intimate through it were remarkable. Ditto her excerpts of Italian opera. Elder is a much better partner than Salonen, who fine musician though he is was a terrible choice for conducting Wagner and Strauss. His clipped phrasing and emotional aloofness don't work with these composers. Really eating my words with this disc. Been dipping into it regularly this month.

* I feel like I've been talking up the set of Salgado symphonies on Brilliant repeatedly on RCMR—and here I go again! Had never heard of this composer until about a week ago. This symphonic late-bloomer left nine symphonies which are comparable in quality to symphonies being composed north of the Rio Grande during this time. His earlier symphonies are very much in the post-neoclassical nationalist style of the 1930s and 1940s, but afterwards Salgado wends down some gnarlier paths. Because of neglect at home (and most certainly abroad), it appears that Salgado's manuscripts are in some disarray. Movements, full scores, and even entire works are now missing and presumed lost forever. A couple of instances of this creep up with the symphonies, but conductor Micheal Meissner has done some heroic work in mending this problem. The performances by the Cuenca Symphony Orchestra evince deep commitment, but the ambitious scope of Salgado's music strains the capabilities of this Ecuadorean orchestra. Nevertheless, this is a highly rewarding set which has already become one of my favorite recordings of 2021. If anybody from Naxos, Chandos, CPO, etc. is reading—look into recording more Salgado!

* BMOP Sound's very fine disc of early Carter ballets has been a fun listen. Sort of sub-Copland kind of stuff. Not great music by any means, but instructive to hear where Carter started. They give little foretaste of the dazzling (and more rewarding) directions Carter would move in decades later.

* Yunus Kaya's recital of late Brahms on Ars Produktion was a pleasant surprise. Never heard of this pianist and his mumbo-jumbo about wanting to convey Brahms' "loneliness and introversion," as well as his "spontaneity" put me off initially. Anyway, what more can be said of these pieces? But surprise—this is a really superb disc. Kaya has a fine feel for long-breathed lyricism and carefully modulated harmonic colors. Gorgeous playing abetted by an equally gorgeous production. Whether these sound "lonely" enough, who knows? But this is a very distinguished, beautiful disc. Will need to keep my peepers peeled for more of Kaya's work.
Gerard
2021-04-08 07:50:03 UTC
Thanks! The Brilliant Cla
Chris from Lafayette
2021-04-08 18:26:04 UTC
Hard to tell about the loneliness of it all. What I want to know is how "carefully modulated" did he make the "harmonic colors" seem? ;-)
Néstor Castiglione
2021-04-08 18:32:52 UTC
Very! Oh, what was it that Elvis Costello or Zappa said about writing on music...? ;-D
JohnGavin
2021-04-09 19:55:48 UTC
Bach - Mass in B Minor - John Butt , Dunedin Consort -

Wonderful performance. HIP at its best. Minimal vocal and instrumental forces, brisk tempos. Beautifully engineered recording.
Henk vT
2021-04-09 21:15:14 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Bach - Mass in B Minor - John Butt , Dunedin Consort -
Wonderful performance. HIP at its best. Minimal vocal and instrumental forces, brisk tempos. Beautifully engineered recording.
Zlatan Chochieva with several arrangements for piano. Brilliant performances.
Anderszewski with preludes from WTC II. Fascinating.

2021-04-09 22:21:12 UTC
Paavo Järvi conducting Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich in Tchaikovsky Symphonies Nos.2 & 4 on alpha (via AppleMusic). New release this week. You know what to expect: Järvi's fleet n' flexible tempos, nimble orchestral phrasing, transparent textures, none-too-much heft, somewhat exciting but not exactly thrilling style, but altogether excellent performances. I like the Little Russian here a lot.
Andy Evans
2021-04-11 16:56:42 UTC
Piano music here - I've been rebuilding my amplifiers and they are particularly nice on piano now. So Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett, Schubert sonatas and exploring Poulenc on YT. Rubinstein and Roge are nice, but I don't like Tharaud, who's recorded a lot of it.