Pianist Sydney Foster (1917-1977)
2019-11-19 19:53:37 UTC
Anyone heard any of the new Marston 7-cd set of performances by the pianist ? TIA.

https://www.marstonrecords.com/collections/piano/products/foster

Sydney Foster plays Prokofieff’s 3rd Piano Sonata, live, 1959:

A YT Comment: “ Recently listened to Gilels in this piece and he simply blasts his way through it; Foster, by contrast, though equally "virtuosic", reveals all kinds of delightful details and overall conveys a sense of joy in the music where Gilels merely hectors. In fact, this is surely one of the great recordings of this piece.”
Frank Berger
2019-11-19 20:48:16 UTC
http://youtu.be/01sSTKe8G4w
A YT Comment: “ Recently listened to Gilels in this piece and he simply blasts his way through it; Foster, by contrast, though equally "virtuosic", reveals all kinds of delightful details and overall conveys a sense of joy in the music where Gilels merely hectors. In fact, this is surely one of the great recordings of this piece.”
I believe it's Sidney with an "i." Usually Sydney is a female name, I
think.

There has some some discussion here already, IIRC. You might search
RCMR archives.
Frank Berger
2019-11-19 22:04:25 UTC
Anyone heard any of the new Marston 7-cd set of performances by the pianist ? TIA.
https://www.marstonrecords.com/collections/piano/products/foster
http://youtu.be/01sSTKe8G4w
A YT Comment: “ Recently listened to Gilels in this piece and he
simply blasts his way through it; Foster, by contrast, though equally
"virtuosic", reveals all kinds of delightful details and overall
conveys a sense of joy in the music where Gilels merely hectors. In
fact, this is surely one of the great recordings of this piece.”
I believe it's Sidney with an "i."   Usually Sydney is a female name, I
think.
There has some some discussion here already, IIRC.  You might search
RCMR archives.
Actually, he was born Sidney Earl Finkelstein. Probably changed his
name because Jews could not have successful careers as pianists. Just
kidding.
g***@gmail.com
2020-02-27 20:03:24 UTC
This 3rd Prokofiev 3rd sonata Sidney Foster live performance was published by IPAM—a 2-disc, “Ovation to Foster”—about 10 years ago. The Marston issue, the 7-CD Foster set “Rediscovering an America Master,” published late 2018, includes a live performance of the Prokofiev 9th Sonata and a group of the Visions Figitive ( as well, Slavic-wise, of the Scriabin 9th, Rachmanioff’s Second Sonata).
g***@gmail.com
g***@gmail.com
2020-07-05 06:48:15 UTC
Anyone heard any of the new Marston 7-cd set of performances by the pianist ? TIA.
https://www.marstonrecords.com/collections/piano/products/foster
http://youtu.be/01sSTKe8G4w
A YT Comment: “ Recently listened to Gilels in this piece and he simply blasts his way through it; Foster, by contrast, though equally "virtuosic", reveals all kinds of delightful details and overall conveys a sense of joy in the music where Gilels merely hectors. In fact, this is surely one of the great recordings of this piece.”
(Upcoming radio program):

https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel
Bozo
2020-07-05 13:10:23 UTC
https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel
Thanks.Appears Fogel will be playing some of the Marston recordings.While the WFMT printed schedule says July 13, I believe an error as the program appears to be Sundays at 10 pm CDT which would by July 12.There is another of Fogel's programs, pianist Rudolf Kehrer tonight, Sunday,July 5.
t***@gmail.com
2020-07-09 06:35:28 UTC
t***@gmail.com
2020-07-09 06:58:36 UTC
WFMT—Collectors’s Corner, hosted by Fogel—presents a two-part “The Art of American Pianist Sidney Foster,” Sunday Nights July 19 and 26, 2020, at 10pm, Chicago Time, which, the link says, will be performances from the Marston 7-CD set ( Dec. 2018).
WMFT offers each part to its “ affiliates” for a week: so Part I will he “broadcast” by the stations around the nation, and some overseas, from July 13-20, depending when they regularly schedule Collectors’ Corner.
Similarly, Part II of the apparent “ Fosterthon” can be found July 21-28, with the specific local WFMT.com broadcasting it July 26, 10pm, Chicago time.
If one is uncontrollably eager, Detroit’s WTGE.org carries it Tuesday at 10pm, July 14th, and Part II on the 21st.
if i’m not mistaken, while almost all the stations that pick up Collector’s Corner during the week have .org URLs, the WFMT station is a .com.
e***@gmail.com
2020-07-09 09:27:38 UTC
https://beta.prx.org/stories/324881

https://beta.prx.org/stories/324883
Bozo
2020-07-11 18:58:09 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
https://beta.prx.org/stories/324881
https://beta.prx.org/stories/324883
I did hear selections from Marston Records 7-cd set of . I believe some may be on Youtube as well . WFMT broadcasts with Henry Fogel ( does not play all 7 ). Thanks all for the links. Sound a bit tinny and shallow, suspect the actual cd’s better, but well worth hearing for the interpretations.

I heard the Schumann “Carnaval”, Chopin Op.49 Fantasy, Prokofieff “Visions”, Chopin Op.10 Etudes Nos.4,5,6,8, Beethoven “Waldstein Sonata, Scriabin Etudes Op.42,Nos.1,2,4,5, Chopin 4th Ballade, and Bartok’s 3rd PC with the Boston Symphony under Aaron Copland. Did not hear the Chopin 3rd Sonata or Beethoven 3rd PC,other smaller works. Enjoyed all, felt especially interesting “Carnaval”, the Chopin Etudes, and the Scriabin Etudes 4,5.

t***@gmail.com
Bozo, since this is your Topic originally, can you go back and correct the spelling of “Sydney”, to Sidney; otherwise, harder to find the instant discussion for those looking for Sidney Foster.
Bozo
2020-07-11 21:41:12 UTC
I do not know how to do that.I use Google Groups.Feel free to do so yourself.Fww,when one enters "Sidney Foster" in the "Search for messages" box at the top of an RMCR Google page, this "Sydney" thread , with its " 1917-1977" and " Pianist" appears as the 4th entry after 3 "Sidney " entries.
t***@gmail.com
t***@gmail.com
2020-07-22 23:01:57 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
[...]
Yes, agree, terrific Carnaval. Too bad it seemed recorded on poorer tape, with diminished dynamics. But thrilling, original, impassioned, in turns potently “ reckless” and anguished beauty. Just too bad we couldn’t hear full sound. Must have been breathtaking in the hall.
On the other hand, we can hear—and marvel at—full virtuosic sound in the Scriabin Etudes recording. While it sounded like the mic was almost *in* the piano—no doubt inhibiting our hearing the full shading of the lyrical etudes, the fullness, power, articulation, potency of Foster’s rendering comes through: making one wonder what the listening experience—as good as it is on several of these live recordings—could have been had better pianos been picked and the performances appropriately miked for better balance and sound recordings. We can tell by differences between the sound on this vs. that performance how much is being lost of what Foster must have produced in the halls.
Bozo
2020-07-11 21:34:51 UTC
Edit