Dover Quartet at CMNW
2019-07-29 16:21:30 UTC
I suppose this post is about a recording which needs to exist rather
than one that does exist, but here goes:

Chamber Music Northwest's Summer Festival ended yesterday afternoon with
a concert by the Dover Quartet playing the Dvorak Piano Quintet with
Jeffrey Kahane and the Schubert String Quintet with Peter Wiley.

The Dvorak was wonderfully played and hard (but not over)-driven by
Jeffrey Kahane, and received enthusiastic applause from the capacity
crowd at Lincoln Hall in Portland.

The Schubert Quintet, with Peter Wiley as 2nd Cello, was in another
category, perfect from first note to last. I cannot recall another
performance of anything ever that has given me more satisfaction. I hope
Cedille (the group's label) will get these performers into the studio
ASAP to record their interpretation. One for the ages!

2019-07-29 17:01:08 UTC
I suppose this post is about a recording which needs to exist rather
Chamber Music Northwest's Summer Festival ended yesterday afternoon with
a concert by the Dover Quartet playing the Dvorak Piano Quintet with
Jeffrey Kahane and the Schubert String Quintet with Peter Wiley.
The Dvorak was wonderfully played and hard (but not over)-driven by
Jeffrey Kahane, and received enthusiastic applause from the capacity
crowd at Lincoln Hall in Portland.
The Schubert Quintet, with Peter Wiley as 2nd Cello, was in another
category, perfect from first note to last. I cannot recall another
performance of anything ever that has given me more satisfaction. I hope
Cedille (the group's label) will get these performers into the studio
ASAP to record their interpretation. One for the ages!
Bob Harper
Man, I have a lot of recordngs of each of these:

Dvorak:

Richter, Borodin Quartet 1982
Bernathova, Janacek Quartet 1957
Buchbinder, Alban Berg Quartet 1993
Farnadi, Barylli Quartet 1953
Firkusny, Juilliard String Quartet 1975
Hala, Smetana Quartet 1978
Hansen, Amadeus Quartet 1950
Klansky, Prazak Quartet 2002
Leonskaja, Alban Berg Quartet 1987
Luisada, Talich Quartet 1993
Reisenberg, Gilimir Quartet 1980
Richter, Borodin Quartet 1982
Rubinstein, Guarneri Quartet 1971
Schnabel, Pro Arte Quartet 1934
Klansky, Prazak Quartet 2002

Schubert:

Amadeus Quartet, Cohen (Robert) 1986
Budapest String Quartet, Heifetz (Benar) 1941
Guarneri Quartet, Rose 1975
Hollywood String Quartet, Reher 1951
Prazak Quartet, Coppey 2002-03
Stern, Lin, Laredo (Jaime), Ma, Robinson 1993
Tatrai Quartet, Szilvasy 1988
Vegh, Zoldy, Janzer, Casals, Szabo 1961
Cleveland Quartet, Ma 1984
Krachmalnik, Pernel, Tuttle, Foley, Casals 1953
Smetana Quartet, Sadlo 1973
Stern, Schneider, Katims, Casals, Tortelier 1952
Strub Quartet, Schrader 1941
Vegh Quartet, Czako 1948
Vienna Konzerthaus Quartet, Weiss 1946