Classical music albums to test your speakers
2021-01-06 19:00:13 UTC
https://www.whathifi.com/us/features/the-best-classical-music-tracks-for-testing-speakers?region-switch=1609959000
james.g...@gmail.com
2021-01-07 02:55:50 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.whathifi.com/us/features/the-best-classical-music-tracks-for-testing-speakers?region-switch=1609959000
No organ music? No chamber music?
Graham
2021-01-07 03:03:26 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.whathifi.com/us/features/the-best-classical-music-tracks-for-testing-speakers?region-switch=1609959000
Back in the early 70s it was always Also Sprach, Dark side of the Moon and
Starker playing Kodaly's unaccompanied cello sonata.
RichD

Rich
Graham
2021-01-07 15:09:24 UTC
Post by Graham
Starker playing Kodaly's unaccompanied cello sonata.
Which recording?

Rich
You expect me to remember the details of recordings Hi-Fi stores were using
50 years ago?
Frank Berger
2021-01-07 15:52:47 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Graham
Starker playing Kodaly's unaccompanied cello sonata.
Which recording?

Rich
You expect me to remember the details of recordings Hi-Fi stores were using
50 years ago?
Why not? It would be fitting with the font Graham used for
his post (Prestige Elite, I think).
John Fowler
2021-01-07 16:05:54 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Graham
Starker playing Kodaly's unaccompanied cello sonata.
Which recording?

Rich
You expect me to remember the details of recordings Hi-Fi stores were using
50 years ago?
Why not? It would be fitting with the font Graham used for
his post (Prestige Elite, I think).
Best Also Sprach Zarathustra to test your speakers with:

MiNe109
Mercury Living Presence.
MELMOTH
2021-01-07 10:50:43 UTC
Post by Graham
Back in the early 70s it was always Also Sprach, Dark side of the Moon and
Starker playing Kodaly's unaccompanied cello sonata.
The most important thing is to have recordings that you know
PERFECTLY...

*Piano:* "We get request" (O.Peterson/Verve)...Köln Concert
(Jarrett/ECM)...Lyrical Pieces (Grieg/Gilels)...

*Orchestra* 1812 Overture (Dorati/Mercury)...Heroica
(Monteux/Decca)...

*Organ* : any BVW by Walcha...

*Choir * : Mattahus Passion (Munchinger/Decca)...

*Voice * : Voyage d'Hiver (DFD/Brendel)... "Take Love Easy"
(Fitzgerald/Pass/Pablo)...
MELMOTH

*Harpsichord* : Scarlatti/Ross....
John Fowler
Tomorrow (January 8) is Elvis' 85th birthday. I will start the morning by playing Also Sprach Zarathustra on my record player.
Andy Evans
2021-01-07 13:54:44 UTC
Considering that audio demo tracks are going to be played many multiples of times, the most important thing for me is that I can stand listening to the music 50 times or whatever. My demo tracks are:

Wagner - Götterdämmerung, excerpts from Act 3, Solti "Ein Albe Führte Mich" (voices and orchestra)
Janacek - The Cunning Little Vixen, excerpts from Act 3, Sc.7 "A Vixen Running", Gregor on Supraphon (voices and orchestra)
Albéniz - Recuerdos de Viaje, Op. 71, No. 6 - Puerta Del Tierra, de Larrocha (piano tone)
Steely Dan - Negative Girl (complex mix, dynamics)
Keith Jarrett Trio - It's Easy to Remember (specially for the cymbals at the start)
Kim Burrell - I Come to You More then I Give (vocals + chorus)

I know all these extremely well, and still enjoy them.
james.g...@gmail.com
You would want recordings in good sound, and if at all possible, be of something you know from real life. I love Walcha, but he doesn't provide a good test disc - recording quality is dated, I don't believe he uses any 32' pedal stops in his recordings, and a good test disc should include a wide range, from the most bombastic to the most subtle registrations, which Walcha doesn't provde.
JohnGavin
When I tested out various sound systems, I used an organ recital by James Welch on the Wilson Audio label. The track I used was the Vierne Impromptu which utilizes soft 64’ pedal stops which are an excellent bass tester in excellent sound!
Peter

james.g...@gmail.com
I tried looking up what James Welch discs were available on Amazon, and they all seem to be $902!
JohnGavin
Several of those recordings, including the one mentioned are on Spotify — all you need is a good streamer.
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-07 22:18:58 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.whathifi.com/us/features/the-best-classical-music-tracks-for-testing-speakers?region-switch=1609959000
John Cage. 4′33″. Check for sound-stage, presence, spatiality and a sense that you can feel the room that it was recorded in.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra