Classical record shops in London
Add Reply
Jenn
2019-10-06 08:45:56 UTC
Hi everyone,
My first trip to London (at my advanced age!) is coming up in December/January. Does anyone here have suggestions for record shops to visit. I'm mostly interested in classical LPs. I'm fantasizing about a place that would have loads of used Lyritas, EMIs, etc. Do such places exist?

Thanks for any help.

Jenn
Frank Berger
2019-10-06 09:38:48 UTC
Post by Jenn
Hi everyone,
My first trip to London (at my advanced age!) is coming up in December/January. Does anyone here have suggestions for record shops to visit. I'm mostly interested in classical LPs. I'm fantasizing about a place that would have loads of used Lyritas, EMIs, etc. Do such places exist?
Thanks for any help.
Jenn
E-bay has 327 hits on "Lyrita LP." Believe me, I understand the
enjoyment of hunting through dusty record bins, but I transferred my
hunting from stores to internet over 10 years ago. I know that if, on
our first trip to London, I had wanted to take a side trip to an old
record store, my wife would have thought me nuts. And she'd have been
right.
n***@g.harvard.edu
2019-10-06 10:15:11 UTC
The Music & Video Exchange at 38 Notting Hill Gate (a short walk from the station) is worth a look. The classical music department has its own floor.

Naun.
Chew Chiat Naun
2019-10-06 10:19:55 UTC

Naun.
Chew Chiat Naun
2019-10-06 10:41:10 UTC
I was out there about a month ago while taking in a week's worth of Proms concerts. Most of the floor space is given over to LPs. A good selection of EMIs, Deccas, etc. Can't be sure I saw any Lyritas. The prices are very reasonable and they vet them fairly carefully for condition before putting them out for sale. They have bargain bins at the back as well, with records 50p and under.

Naun.
Mandryka
2019-10-06 11:49:18 UTC
Londoners may be interested in these videos of Roger from Gramex, which is now closed. The bastard still owes me well over 100 quid!

http://www.gramex.co.uk/roger.php
Ed Romans
2019-10-06 16:39:25 UTC
Hi - the Notting Hill Record and Video Exchange (Notting Hill Gate tube) as mentioned by Naun is now the only remaining shop in London with a substantial selection of second classical lps and cds. They do have a marked section for Lyrita lps but at most it has about 10 lps in it.

The only other remaining classical record shop in central London is the main Foyles bookshop on Charing Cross Road which has reasonable selection of new CDs and books, and a small number of secondhand classical CDs. Gramex, Harold Moores have all closed, as has HMV again.

Ed
Jenn
2019-10-06 17:54:12 UTC
THANK YOU, everyone.
Marc P.
2019-10-07 02:56:44 UTC
A store called The Record Album in Brighton is significantly devoted to classical LPs. It’s right by the train station and about an hour’s journey from central London, if you’re so inclined.
themusicparlour
2019-10-07 11:37:52 UTC
A store called The Record Album in Brighton is significantly devoted to classical LPs.
https://www.therecordalbum.com/genres/classical/
£18 for an HMV Digital LP?
£25 for SAL Dorati/Wooden Prince?
At least box sets are cheap (£5).
But mostly the stock is utterly commonplace - what a dealer would give you 10pence/each - if that. (M&VE routinely paid similar for £100 titles).
Apart from a few titles, Lyrita peaked years back.
c***@googlemail.com
2019-10-07 14:38:49 UTC
Post by Marc P.
A store called The Record Album in Brighton is significantly devoted to classical LPs. It’s right by the train station and about an hour’s journey from central London, if you’re so inclined.
If you visit Brighton there is also Fine Records in neighbouring Hove that has a good selection of secondclassical CDs plus some lps.

The best shop that I am aware of in the entire UK for secondhand classical lps is Bookcase in Carlisle. They have an enormous number of classical lps in their slightly damp basement.

Ed