Beethoven
Add Reply
Martin Krauss
2020-07-17 11:39:45 UTC
As for Beethoven's sonatas for violin and piano I only have the
Perlman/Ashkenazy version.
I think we can probably "do better"?
Thank you for your advice.
melmoth13
2020-07-17 11:50:30 UTC
Post by Martin Krauss
As for Beethoven's sonatas for violin and piano I only have the
Perlman/Ashkenazy version.
I think we can probably "do better"?
Thank you for your advice.
*Francescati-Casasesus*...
*Ferras-Barbizet*...
*Grumiaux-Haskil*

And :
Kreisler/Rupp...
Szigetti/Arrau...
Kremer/Argerich...
Menuhin/Kempf...
Gerard
2020-07-17 15:22:15 UTC
"Martin Krauss" wrote in message news:res2m0$165$***@gioia.aioe.org...

As for Beethoven's sonatas for violin and piano I only have the
Perlman/Ashkenazy version.
I think we can probably "do better"?
Thank you for your advice.
Maybe not "better" but very good:

Suk, Panenka
Faust, Melnikov
Kremer, Argerich
Dumay, Pires
Grumiaux, Haskil
wkasimer
2020-07-17 16:15:41 UTC
Post by Martin Krauss
As for Beethoven's sonatas for violin and piano I only have the
Perlman/Ashkenazy version.
I think we can probably "do better"?
Thank you for your advice.
Suk, Panenka
Faust, Melnikov
Kremer, Argerich
Dumay, Pires
Grumiaux, Haskil
And a couple of superb sets by lesser-known duos on obscure labels:

Govatos/Barone
Dawes/Koop
c***@gmail.com
2020-07-17 18:56:55 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Govatos/Barone
Dawes/Koop
Continuing in this vein while acknowledging that there have been many excellent suggestions already (I like Dawes/Koop too, btw; don't know the other one above):

Alexander Plocek and Josef Páleníček (https://www.supraphonline.cz/umelec/12146-alexander-plocek)
Henri Temianka and Leonard Shure
Paul Makanowitzky and Noel Lee

In more or less modern sound I second esp. Dumay/Pires, Suk/Panenka, and Ferras/Barbizet. Based on the reviews, I expected great things Ibragimova/Tiberghien but I was underwhelmed.

AC
wkasimer
2020-07-20 14:17:09 UTC
Same here. I find Ibragimova's thin, wiry violin tone virtually unlistenable.
c***@gmail.com
2020-07-20 18:18:47 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by c***@gmail.com
Based on the reviews, I expected great things Ibragimova/Tiberghien but I was underwhelmed.
Same here. I find Ibragimova's thin, wiry violin tone virtually unlistenable.
OTOH, when I purchased the Mullova/Bezuidenhout op. 12/3 + Kreutzer, I thought, this could be the great cycle of our time. But that was a decade ago, and if there was a follow-up I missed it. As a result of this thread, I just re-listened with pleasure to Plocek/Páleníček. Kudos to supraphonline for making this rarity available at low cost.

2020-07-21 20:14:18 UTC
I haven't listened to these in a while but my notes say
Spring:
Mutter/Orkis

Schneiderhan/Kempff

Menuhin/Kempff

Kreutzer:
Taschner/Gieseking

Kulenkampff/Kempff

Szigeti/Bartok (Vanguard)
Huberman/Friedman
Elman/Seiger

s***@nycap.rr.com
2020-07-17 16:50:27 UTC
Post by Gerard
Suk, Panenka
Faust, Melnikov
Kremer, Argerich
Dumay, Pires
Grumiaux, Haskil
I have, and very much like, The Kremer/Argerich set and the Faust/Melkinov set. The former is more extrovert. Sharper and edgier, as I hear it. But both are superb.

MIFrost
dk

dk
s***@nycap.rr.com
2020-07-31 21:49:33 UTC
Post by Martin Krauss
As for Beethoven's sonatas for violin and piano I only have the
Perlman/Ashkenazy version.
I think we can probably "do better"?
Thank you for your advice.
If you're still interested you might check this out:

https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2301484#utm_source=ArkivMusic_NL&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=WS-7312020&utm_content=Beethoven-7CD-Francescatti

MIFrost