Strauss Alpensinfonie?
2021-03-30 06:51:36 UTC
Suggestions and recommendations much appreciated!
MELMOTH, which performances and recordings sound
best in your audiophile castle on the Seine?

TIA

dk
MELMOTH
2021-03-30 09:27:36 UTC
Suggestions and recommendations much appreciated!
MELMOTH, which performances and recordings sound
best in your audiophile castle on the Seine?
Integrale *Kempe*...
*Boehm* anthology...

Of course...

NB : I do NOT live in Paris, fortunately !...My castle is in Brittany,
in the middle of the Armorique Park...
Alex Brown
2021-03-30 12:46:24 UTC
Suggestions and recommendations much appreciated!
MELMOTH, which performances and recordings sound
best in your audiophile castle on the Seine?
TIA
dk
Karajan does it for me (the Sony video is a rare official "live"
recording, in better sound than the infamous DGG early digital effort).
The bourgeois grandiosity of the piece suited him I think.

But if allergic to Karajan, and at the other end of the prestige scale,
Antoni Wit with the Staatskapelle Weimar on Naxos "get it". (In a
similar vein, Dave Hurwitz's recommendation, Kazimierz Kord with the
Warsaw PO on the Accord label, is exciting and direct).

Sonically, the best recording I've heard is Jansons/Bavarian RSO on BR
Klassik. But as an interpretation it's kind of sleepy.

Kempe/Dresden I find admirable more than exciting.
- Alex Brown
Yoshiyuki Mukudai
2021-03-30 13:48:05 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by dk
Suggestions and recommendations much appreciated!
MELMOTH, which performances and recordings sound
best in your audiophile castle on the Seine?
TIA
dk
Karajan does it for me (the Sony video is a rare official "live"
recording, in better sound than the infamous DGG early digital effort).
The bourgeois grandiosity of the piece suited him I think.
I agree. It's live in 1983 with Sabine Meyer. It's a profound recording.

YM
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-03-30 18:08:58 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by dk
[...]
I fully agree about Wit/Staatskapelle Weimar. Tremendous recording,

2021-03-31 02:40:06 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Alex Brown
Post by dk
[...]
Ray Hall, Taree
Wit is an excellent conductor; I wonder whether his huge presence on
Naxos hasn't made him less appreciated than if he were on one of the
'major' labels?

Bob Harper
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-03-31 04:11:46 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Alex Brown
Post by dk
[...]
Agree fully. I suspect his recorded repertoire of the major Polish composers of the 20th century, of which there are a few, has allowed him to indulge with Naxos, whereas other major labels not so much, although he has recorded for EMI. Plus of course his long association with the Polish RSO and then the Warsaw PO, made the fit.
Wit has conducted worldwide and he has also latterly been involved with many regional orchestras in Spain.

Ray Hall, Taree
Chris from Lafayette
2021-03-31 18:40:47 UTC
2021-03-31 21:01:40 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
Post by Bob Harper
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Alex Brown
Antoni Wit with the Staatskapelle Weimar on Naxos "get it".
- Alex Brown
I fully agree about Wit/Staatskapelle Weimar. Tremendous recording,
Ray Hall, Taree
Wit is an excellent conductor; I wonder whether his huge presence on
Naxos hasn't made him less appreciated than if he were on one of the
'major' labels?
Bob Harper
Good point, Bob. Wit has some magnificent recordings of other repertoire too, including the Brahms German Requiem, the Brahms shorter choral works with orchestra, the Dvorak Requiem, and the Mahler Eighth, not to mention the Szymanowski Symphonies. All of these except for the Brahms shorter choral works were (are?) available on blu-ray audio - I don't know what their availability on that format is right now (I see only the Dvorak currently listed on Amazon), but they certainly sound wonderful in hi-rez MCh. (I'm sorry that Naxos got cold feet about issuing their recordings in MCh - a practice which evidently didn't fit their cost/benefit analysis after awhile.)
I was fortunate enough to see Wit and his merry band from Warsaw in concert when they came to San Francisco a few years ago (Beethoven Emperor with Avdeeva - merely OK - and the Dvorak Eighth, with Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever" as an encore, complete with some of the orchestra players waving little American flags at the end - funny!). And for icing on the cake, the orchestra even had some babes in it! So there was a great conductor, an enthusiastic and accomplished orchestra, and babes - what more could you want?
Sounds great, but given the tenor of the Lara St. John thread, I'd be
careful with the personnel comments, Chris :).

Bob Harper
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-03-30 19:43:16 UTC
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 7:46:30 AM UTC-5, Alex Brown wrote:
Kazimierz Kord with the
As direct as he is, he'd better be exciting. In my collection only Fried is faster, with Kord at 43:30 and Fried at 43:00. Meanwhile, the Asahina All-Japan performance is the longest I have at 57:47. I'm not a Celi-hugger, and don't think slow is any shortcut to magic, but Asahina works, and the rhythms are tight enough when necessary. I have the NDR and Osaka performances and neither really grabs me- the All-Japan performance is just better.
Alex Brown
2021-03-30 19:49:17 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Kazimierz Kord with the
Post by Alex Brown
Warsaw PO on the Accord label, is exciting and direct).
As direct as he is, he'd better be exciting. In my collection only Fried is faster, with Kord at 43:30 and Fried at 43:00. Meanwhile, the Asahina All-Japan performance is the longest I have at 57:47. I'm not a Celi-hugger, and don't think slow is any shortcut to magic, but Asahina works, and the rhythms are tight enough when necessary. I have the NDR and Osaka performances and neither really grabs me- the All-Japan performance is just better.
I do like that Asahina recording too, though it may be magisterial to a
fault.
- Alex Brown
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-03-31 01:44:20 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Kazimierz Kord with the
Sorry, for the record, Fried is 40:23.
Alan Dawes
2021-03-31 10:13:24 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by dk
Suggestions and recommendations much appreciated!
MELMOTH, which performances and recordings sound
best in your audiophile castle on the Seine?
TIA
dk
Karajan does it for me (the Sony video is a rare official "live"
recording, in better sound than the infamous DGG early digital effort).
The bourgeois grandiosity of the piece suited him I think.
But if allergic to Karajan, and at the other end of the prestige scale,
Antoni Wit with the Staatskapelle Weimar on Naxos "get it". (In a
similar vein, Dave Hurwitz's recommendation, Kazimierz Kord with the
Warsaw PO on the Accord label, is exciting and direct).
Sonically, the best recording I've heard is Jansons/Bavarian RSO on BR
Klassik. But as an interpretation it's kind of sleepy.
Kempe/Dresden I find admirable more than exciting.
I would suggest Frank Shipway with the Sao Paulo Sym. O. if you want a
performance in excellent surround sound with the players on the edge of
their seats. It was recorded in 2012 a couple of years before his death.
BIS-1950 SACD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strauss-Alpensinfonie-Symphony-Shipway-BIS1950/dp/B008S87SYW

For comments see:

https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Alpensinfonie-Symphony-Shipway-BIS1950/dp/B008S87SYW

Incidentally the "What is the BEST recording of Beethoven's 7th" thread
reminded me of an impressive Mahler 5th played by the RPO and conducted by
Frank Shipway:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symphony-No-5-Gustav/dp/B000AAVCY8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-No-5-Rpo-Shipway/dp/B0000264QY
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
dk
2021-03-31 10:35:21 UTC
Post by Alan Dawes
Post by Alex Brown
Post by dk
[...]
Thanks for the pointer. I will give it a try.

2021-03-31 10:36:49 UTC