Discussion:
Brailowsky set....
(too old to reply)
drh8h
2018-08-03 14:35:18 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
I notice the release date of the Brailowsky Chopin set on Sony has been pushed back to September 21. Could be worse though, like that Sony Casals box that keeps getting pushed from year to year. I still think the box phenom is going fade soon. Just too many of them coming too fast. Sony seems to have trouble getting their boxes out on original release date.

DH
Invocation
2018-08-03 14:52:56 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
在 2018年8月3日星期五 UTC-4上午10:35:21,drh8h写道:
> I notice the release date of the Brailowsky Chopin set on Sony has been pushed back to September 21. Could be worse though, like that Sony Casals box that keeps getting pushed from year to year. I still think the box phenom is going fade soon. Just too many of them coming too fast. Sony seems to have trouble getting their boxes out on original release date.
>
> DH

I wish they could reconsider the project and pack the rest of his RCA recordings as well.
drh8h
2018-08-03 15:30:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 10:52:58 AM UTC-4, Invocation wrote:
> 在 2018年8月3日星期五 UTC-4上午10:35:21,drh8h写道:
> > I notice the release date of the Brailowsky Chopin set on Sony has been pushed back to September 21. Could be worse though, like that Sony Casals box that keeps getting pushed from year to year. I still think the box phenom is going fade soon. Just too many of them coming too fast. Sony seems to have trouble getting their boxes out on original release date.
> >
> > DH
>
> I wish they could reconsider the project and pack the rest of his RCA recordings as well.

As we saw in another discussion, these projects take a long time to come together, probably more than one year, maybe two. What would really be infuriating is if they come out with a complete edition three or four years from now.

DH
JohnGavin
2018-08-03 15:39:14 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Re Sony Boxed Sets - how about an E. Power Biggs box - We will settle for 3 years from now.
Randy Lane
2018-08-03 16:16:14 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
And Ormandy, Leinsdorf, and the Juilliard Quartet
Throw in the non-CSO Reiner somewhere too.
drh8h
2018-08-03 20:33:06 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 12:16:17 PM UTC-4, Randy Lane wrote:
> And Ormandy, Leinsdorf, and the Juilliard Quartet
> Throw in the non-CSO Reiner somewhere too.

I hear you all. How about Szigeti and Firkusny from Sony? The latter's recordings for them are almost forgotten. Maybe Piatigorsky without Heifetz. New Music Quartet. Spivakovsky. Gold and Fizdale or Vronsky and Babin. Complete mono Budapest. How about Schneider outside the Budapest? The song recordings of Farrell? If we can have Tourel's over-the-hill outing with Bernstein simply because he is there, why not a little lesser-known Farrell in her prime? They have never put her Medea on CD for criminy's sake! I think we are all dreaming.

As I have said before, Biggs and Ormandy simply too big. If Sony couldn't give us Bernstein complete for his 100th, how can we expect much on someone like Biggs. Organ doesn't sell and except for oldsters Biggs is forgotten. I bet Universal sold a ton of the Dupre Mercury boxes. Virgil Fox--I wouldn't be surprised. Bizarre and human train-wrecks (Levant, some extent Jonas) will win out over dull and sane.

DH
JohnGavin
2018-08-07 16:31:21 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
As I have said before, Biggs and Ormandy simply too big. If Sony couldn't give us Bernstein complete for his 100th, how can we expect much on someone like Biggs. Organ doesn't sell and except for oldsters Biggs is forgotten. I bet Universal sold a ton of the Dupre Mercury boxes. Virgil Fox--I wouldn't be surprised. Bizarre and human train-wrecks (Levant, some extent Jonas) will win out over dull and sane.

DH

I’ve been thinking about this, and looking through Amazon at recently re-issued boxes. RCA has released an Ania Dorfman Box and an André Tchaikovsky Box. I say if they merit a Box, so does E. Power Biggs!

Also Sony should consider an Anthony Newman box, which would include his outrageously irreverent and fascinating Goldbergs, and a great WTC Book 2.
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-07 16:43:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 12:31:24 PM UTC-4, JohnGavin wrote:
I’ve been thinking about this, and looking through Amazon at recently re-issued boxes. RCA has released an Ania Dorfman Box and an André Tchaikovsky Box. I say if they merit a Box, so does E. Power Biggs!
>
> Also Sony should consider an Anthony Newman box, which would include his outrageously irreverent and fascinating Goldbergs, and a great WTC Book 2.

Agreed on the Biggs box. A Peter Serkin box would be nice also.

Hank
drh8h
2018-08-07 21:01:51 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 12:43:46 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 12:31:24 PM UTC-4, JohnGavin wrote:
> I’ve been thinking about this, and looking through Amazon at recently re-issued boxes. RCA has released an Ania Dorfman Box and an André Tchaikovsky Box. I say if they merit a Box, so does E. Power Biggs!
> >
> > Also Sony should consider an Anthony Newman box, which would include his outrageously irreverent and fascinating Goldbergs, and a great WTC Book 2.
>
> Agreed on the Biggs box. A Peter Serkin box would be nice also.
>
> Hank

A Biggs box, even if the stereos only, would be very large. I just don't think organ sells.

DH
Bozo
2018-08-07 18:20:36 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 3:33:08 PM UTC-5, drh8h wrote:
> I hear you all.

And pianists Noel Lee and Beveridge Webster. whoever owns those now.
Frank Berger
2018-08-07 18:39:56 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/7/2018 2:20 PM, Bozo wrote:
>> On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 3:33:08 PM UTC-5, drh8h wrote:
>> I hear you all.
>
> And pianists Noel Lee and Beveridge Webster. whoever owns those now.
>

Practically no Webster on CD. Long-defunct pirate "Disco Archivia" had
transfered a radio broadcast in which Webster plays Beethoven PC#2 and
Weber's Grand Duo.
vhorowitz
2018-08-07 21:08:53 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
I have talked to Michael Webster, Beveridge Webster’s son, and as far as HE knows, the tapes are missing in action.
Bozo
2018-08-07 21:32:36 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 4:08:56 PM UTC-5, vhorowitz wrote:
> I have talked to Michael Webster, Beveridge Webster’s son, and as far as HE knows, the tapes are missing >in action.

Thanks. How terrible.
Frank Berger
2018-08-07 22:07:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/7/2018 5:08 PM, vhorowitz wrote:
> I have talked to Michael Webster, Beveridge Webster’s son, and as far as HE knows, the tapes are missing in action.
>

There are lots of Beveridge Webster LPs on ebay.
Bozo
2018-08-07 22:31:58 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
And a Constance Keene box would be nice.

But then, so would be a Liszt box ;his " box " of 1886 wont do.
drh8h
2018-08-08 01:29:21 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 6:32:01 PM UTC-4, Bozo wrote:
> And a Constance Keene box would be nice.
>
> But then, so would be a Liszt box ;his " box " of 1886 wont do.

If there were a Liszt box, it could have as bonus that cylinder of Wagner conducting Tristan at Bayreuth. Of course, Tristan was not given at Bayreuth in Wagner's time. Maybe the recording instead was of Richard barking like a dog. I have read he used to greet people that way!

DH
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-03 16:16:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 10:52:58 AM UTC-4, Invocation wrote:

> I wish they could reconsider the project and pack the rest of his RCA recordings as well.

I wish Sony would just bite the bullet and issue Brailowsky's complete Columbia and RCA in one box. Iirc, the Columbia stereo recordings have all been issued in Japan.

Hank
Loading...