Casals conducting Dvorak
Carlos
2017-06-18 05:59:10 UTC
More than once I've read of a recording of Casals conducting the Czech Philharmonic in the Dvorak New World Symphony, recorded in 1937 at Abbey Road. (Not to be confused, of course, with the Szell recording sometimes paired with the Casals Dvorak cello concerto.) I've never seen this on CD or even on vinyl for that matter -- any pointers on how to find it?

Thanks in advance.
Carlos
YM ​יוֹשִׁיוּכִּי
2017-06-18 06:15:08 UTC
Post by Carlos
More than once I've read of a recording of Casals conducting the Czech Philharmonic in the Dvorak New World Symphony, recorded in 1937 at Abbey Road. (Not to be confused, of course, with the Szell recording sometimes paired with the Casals Dvorak cello concerto.) I've never seen this on CD or even on vinyl for that matter -- any pointers on how to find it?
Thanks in advance.
Carlos
Not sure about the Casals / Czech Philharmonic one. But, many thanks for information.

Incidentally, I do have heard of existence of complete recording of a concert held on January 25, 1925
in New York Carnegie Hall of the New York Philharmonic conducted by Wilhelm Furtwängler aired by
NBC radio. Anyone can confirm where to find it?

Thanks in advance.
YM with Darius II
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-06-18 13:37:43 UTC
Post by YM ​יוֹשִׁיוּכִּי
Incidentally, I do have heard of existence of complete recording of a concert held on January 25, 1925
in New York Carnegie Hall of the New York Philharmonic conducted by Wilhelm Furtwängler aired by
NBC radio. Anyone can confirm where to find it?
Another thing that doesn't exist. I'm not aware of any NBC airchecks earlier than c.1931/32. Anything broadcast before that which was preserved was recorded by Victor (e.g. the Lindbergh return radio coverage in 1927) or as experimental electrical recordings by Bell Labs (the 1924 NYP broadcast excerpts with Mengelberg and van Hoogstraten). If there was live Furtwangler/NYP, we would have heard of its existence by now.

Mark O-T
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-06-18 13:31:42 UTC
Post by Carlos
More than once I've read of a recording of Casals conducting the Czech Philharmonic in the Dvorak New World Symphony, recorded in 1937 at Abbey Road. (Not to be confused, of course, with the Szell recording sometimes paired with the Casals Dvorak cello concerto.) I've never seen this on CD or even on vinyl for that matter -- any pointers on how to find it?
Thanks in advance.
Carlos
It doesn't exist. What you recall seeing was probably miscredited from the Dutton CD release with both the Casals/Szell Dvorak Concerto and the New World Symphony on one disc.

Mark O-T
Sol L. Siegel
2017-06-20 01:34:15 UTC
Post by Carlos
More than once I've read of a recording of Casals conducting the Czech
Philharmonic in the Dvorak New World Symphony, recorded in 1937 at
Abbey Road. (Not to be confused, of course, with the Szell recording
sometimes paired with the Casals Dvorak cello concerto.) I've never
seen this on CD or even on vinyl for that matter -- any pointers on
how to find it?
That recording was also conducted by Szell, not Casals. Dutton has issued
at least two incarnations of a coupling of them. There's also an Opus Kura
that pairs the Szell recording of the symphony with Feuermann's recording
of the concerto.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA