Is it safe to download from the Usenet?
h***@btinternet.com
2017-07-13 15:40:34 UTC
I want to download a transfer of an LP - Pomerium singing Ockeghem masses - which seems to be available through the usenet. When I press the relevant buttons from here

http://usmusica.com/reggae/871776-johannes-ockeghem--pomerium-musices-alexander-blachly-missa-ma-maistresse-missa-au-travail-suis-motets--chansons-download-free.html

I eventually get to here

https://en.usenet.nl/registration/?utm_content=0_1&utm_source=AF_TA_102141&utm_campaign=437812&utm_medium=AFSI

Which asked for me to set up a PayPal payment.

Is it safe to proceed? Maybe someone who is already a usenet.nl member could check that the recording exists and that there's nothing dodgy going on.
JohnA

MiNe109
2017-07-13 15:54:44 UTC
Post by h***@btinternet.com
I want to download a transfer of an LP - Pomerium singing Ockeghem
masses - which seems to be available through the usenet. When I press
the relevant buttons from here
http://usmusica.com/reggae/871776-johannes-ockeghem--pomerium-musices-alexander-blachly-missa-ma-maistresse-missa-au-travail-suis-motets--chansons-download-free.html
I eventually get to here
https://en.usenet.nl/registration/?utm_content=0_1&utm_source=AF_TA_102141&utm_campaign=437812&utm_medium=AFSI
Which asked for me to set up a PayPal payment.
Is it safe to proceed? Maybe someone who is already a usenet.nl
member could check that the recording exists and that there's nothing
dodgy going on.
Scamadviser gives usmusica a "Low Trust Rating."

A transfer is on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/Il_KaEWu0uA
h***@btinternet.com
2017-07-13 15:58:09 UTC
Yes John that's the LP, and the sound on YouTube is not bad at all. Of course I'm hoping that the usenet transfer will sound better!
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-19 17:56:34 UTC
I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that the website you are calling "usenet" is probably abusing, and at minimum, sewing confusion about what usenet is.

Usenet has a long history, and one that is not formally bound to the web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Any website claiming to be "usenet" is deceiving you. Now, maybe the site is one that allows access to the newsgroups on Usenet, but I didn't get that sense from what you said.
2017-07-19 18:18:58 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that the website you are calling
"usenet" is probably abusing, and at minimum, sewing confusion about what
usenet is.
Usenet has a long history, and one that is not formally bound to the web.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
Any website claiming to be "usenet" is deceiving you. Now, maybe the site is
one that allows access to the newsgroups on Usenet, but I didn't get that
sense from what you said.
To be a bit more direct, the answer to the question "Is it safe to
download from the Usenet" is no.

2017-07-19 19:19:22 UTC
Post by O
To be a bit more direct, the answer to the question "Is it safe to
download from the Usenet" is no.
-Owen
To be correct, you need to say "Usenet.nl", the bogus site under discussion here.

It's not possible to host a downloadable file "within" Usenet proper.

We are essentially conversing in Usenet right now- Google Groups (if that is where you are, not not a Usenet newsreader) is just a front end accessing the Usenet technology. People post links to download things here all the time, but the links are not part of Usenet. They are to other sites where files are. And whether those files are safe (they may or may not- no way to tell) is a question that has nothing to do with Usenet.
Bozo
2017-07-19 23:39:06 UTC
Post by h***@btinternet.com
Is it safe to proceed?
FWW:

From Wiki , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Decline :

In 2008, Verizon Communications, Time Warner Cable and Sprint Nextel signed an agreement with Attorney General of New York Andrew Cuomo to shut down access to sources of child pornography.[56] Time Warner Cable stopped offering access to Usenet. Verizon reduced its access to the "Big 8" hierarchies. Sprint stopped access to the alt.* hierarchies. AT&T stopped access to the alt.binaries.* hierarchies. Cuomo never specifically named Usenet in his anti-child pornography campaign. David DeJean of PC World said that some worry that the ISPs used Cuomo's campaign as an excuse to end portions of Usenet access, as it is costly for the Internet service providers and not in high demand by customers. In 2008 AOL, which no longer offered Usenet access, and the four providers that responded to the Cuomo campaign were the five largest Internet service providers in the United States; they had more than 50% of the U.S. ISP marketshare.[57] On June 8, 2009, AT&T announced that it would no longer provide access to the Usenet service as of July 15, 2009.[58]
AOL announced that it would discontinue its integrated Usenet service in early 2005, citing the growing popularity of weblogs, chat forums and on-line conferencing.[59] The AOL community had a tremendous role in popularizing Usenet some 11 years earlier.[60]
In August 2009, Verizon announced that it would discontinue access to Usenet on September 30, 2009.[61][62] JANET(UK) announced it will discontinue Usenet service, effective July 31, 2010, citing Google Groups as an alternative.[63] Microsoft announced that it would discontinue support for its public newsgroups (msnews.microsoft.com) from June 1, 2010, offering web forums as an alternative.[64]
Primary reasons cited for the discontinuance of Usenet service by general ISPs include the decline in volume of actual readers due to competition from blogs, along with cost and liability concerns of increasing proportion of traffic devoted to file-sharing and spam on unused or discontinued groups.[65][66]
Some ISPs did not include pressure from Attorney General of New York Andrew Cuomo's aggressive campaign against child pornography as one of their reasons for dropping Usenet feeds as part of their services.[67] ISPs Cox and Atlantic Communications resisted the 2008 trend but both did eventually drop their respective Usenet feeds in 2010.[68][69][70]
Mr. Mike
2017-07-22 19:26:38 UTC
If you Google search, you will find plenty of articles about the stuff
which is "not safe" to download from Usenet, particularly the binary
news groups. Like this:

http://theloadguru.com/avoid-fake-file-usenet/