Sibelius Seventh symphony/Ormandy
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-08-15 20:28:13 UTC
Is Ormandy the only one to use the brass in the last two notes of the work?
And did Sibelius indicate/sanction this use?
Kerrison
2018-08-15 22:23:08 UTC
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 9:28:16 PM UTC+1, Lawrence Chalmers wrote:
> Is Ormandy the only one to use the brass in the last two notes of the work?
> And did Sibelius indicate/sanction this use?

Ordmandy and the PhO are on You Tube in this work, as are loads of other recordings. Here is one 'comment' under the video: "The ending with the trumpet doubling the violins, a vile practice that began with Koussevitzky, and the crescendo in the timpani that Sibelius never wrote in the final bar, tells you everything you need to know about Ormandy's take on this great work."

Other comments damn the performance altogether while others think it is just great. I thought the ending pretty effective, in much the same way that Toscanini's addition of half-a-dozen tam-tam crashes to the end of the Tchaikovsky 'Manfred' Symphony's first movement are pretty effective too! ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4fXGE9DiOw

Here is Bernstein without the Koussevitzky ending ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUxEuo5pcYg

And here is Beecham with it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKjRXoHHaHc

Lots more on You Tube if you wanna check them out ... Rattle, Karajan, Salonen, Mravinsky, Berglund, Szell, Maazel, etc. etc.
Bozo
2018-08-16 00:27:04 UTC

To the best of my ear , Sixten Ehrling with the Stockholm , 50's recording ( my only 7th ) uses brass next to last note, but not on the last.
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-08-16 02:33:43 UTC

I checked the remake for RCA by Ormandy and he does not use the brass.
Kerrison
2018-08-16 11:36:28 UTC
On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 3:33:47 AM UTC+1, Lawrence Chalmers wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 1:28:16 PM UTC-7, Lawrence Chalmers wrote:
> > Is Ormandy the only one to use the brass in the last two notes of the work?
> > And did Sibelius indicate/sanction this use?
>
> I checked the remake for RCA by Ormandy and he does not use the brass.

Ormandy played it in Holland in 1969 with Concertgebouw Orchestra and he sticks with the trumpet-and-drum additions at the end even more forcefully than with the Philadelphians in his 1960 Sony recording ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRgDz-3fGc

Somewhat surprisingly, Sir Adrian Boult also adopts the same idea in a live performance with the Royal Philharmonic. However, since he was chief conductor of the BBC Symphony at the time of Koussevitzky's own recording with it, maybe he thought the change worth retaining ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C97YVjUKudc

However, Stokowski and the All-American Youth Orchestra, in their 1940 US Columbia recording on 'Guild,' do not adopt the Koussevitzky amendment!
Russ (not Martha)
2018-08-18 17:16:52 UTC
On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 6:36:31 AM UTC-5, Kerrison wrote:

> Ormandy played it in Holland in 1969 with Concertgebouw Orchestra and he sticks with the trumpet-and-drum additions at the end even more forcefully than with the Philadelphians in his 1960 Sony recording ...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRgDz-3fGc

It doesn't particularly bother me that Ormandy gooses the orchestration a bit at the very end of the work.

What I really don't like are the 'scoops' in the cellos & basses he inserts at 12:02-12:04 and 12:16-12:18 in the Concertgebouw performance, and the same at 13:18-13:20 and 13:36-13:38 in the Philadelphia recording on Sony. I have not heard the remake for RCA.

Russ (not Martha)