Blomstedt new Beethoven cycle and 9 Blu-Ray
2017-07-09 19:24:24 UTC
This is the kind of "more of the same" I can put my money into- a new Beethoven cycle of Blomstedt with Leipzig, released just a few days ago.

In poking around for info, I came across the Blu-Ray of 9 which was release last November. Accentus lists it on their site and provides a trailer which you can view here:

On my two-channel desk system it sounds perfectly fine. And I like what I see and hear. Move over to Amazon, though, and you have three one-star reviews which fault the manufacturing (burned BD-Rs), "muddy sound" (perhaps on multi-channel, but unclear), and even the performance.

Does anyone have any first-hand familiarity with any of the recordings connected to these releases?
Oscar
2017-07-09 23:58:44 UTC
I bought the Ninth on Blu-ray last December and watched it. Solid, dependable conducting by Blomstedt. About as much as you can expect from this old-school exponent of the Central European tradition, and yes, I intend that as a compliment. (Also, yes, I know Blomstedt is Swedish and therefore not 'Central European', but his style is such and grandly so.) I look forward to buying this new set. I enjoyed Jansons's integrale Beethoven Symphonies a few years ago, with BRSO, and expect this to be somewhat similar in terms of interpretation.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 15:26:58 UTC
Post by Oscar
I bought the Ninth on Blu-ray last December and watched it.
Is your system two-channel or something else, and did you have any reaction to the sound quality?

Calling Blomstedt an "old-school exponent of the CE tradition" might be a bit unfair. To my ears HB has always sought tighter ensemble work than many conductors. His Nielsen stands out for precisely this reason. What little I heard from Jansons in his Beethoven cycle epitomized the relaxed, VPO-esque interchange between sections, and for me this more often than not sounded slack. Blomstedt has always reached for unified articulation and tempi that don't change as things get complicated, and it distinguishes many of his recordings, no matter how slow overall tempi may be. Pointign this direction, a one-star review on amazon called his 9 "too fast", and pointed to Thielemann as a video reference. Yes, that's the set to get if you don't want to miss the bloat.