JBY
Add Reply
Charles
2017-04-11 00:31:50 UTC
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me that he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't know any details, perhaps some of you do?
Oscar
2017-04-11 02:16:06 UTC
My condolences to Jon Bell Young's family and friends.
dk
2017-04-11 04:03:16 UTC
Post by Charles
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me
that he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't
know any details, perhaps some of you do?
Sorry to hear. May he rest in peace.

2017-04-11 04:10:44 UTC
Post by Charles
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me that
he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't know any
details, perhaps some of you do?
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bell_Young
he retired in 2013 as a result of a stroke. I couldn't find
(or rather Google News could not) any mentions of his passing.
So maybe your information was garbled.

dk
Charles
Someday maybe we'll read more, perhaps in the St. Petersburg (FL) press. Or perhaps he wasn't nearly as well-known as he imagined.
n***@gmail.com
Brings to mind "the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated".
Frank Berger
2017-04-13 01:13:10 UTC
Post by Charles
Post by dk
Post by Charles
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me that
he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't know any
details, perhaps some of you do?
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bell_Young
he retired in 2013 as a result of a stroke. I couldn't find
(or rather Google News could not) any mentions of his passing.
So maybe your information was garbled.
dk
Someday maybe we'll read more, perhaps in the St. Petersburg (FL) press. Or perhaps he wasn't nearly as well-known as he imagined.
He was probably as well known for his legal pissing contest
(not taking sides here) with Valerie Lisitsa. JBY took it
on himself via his blog to destroy Lisitsa's career because
of her political views (again, not taking sides). She
responded with a libel suit, which is still pending, I think.
Bozo
2017-04-13 01:38:38 UTC
He was probably as well known for his legal pissing contest
(not taking sides here) with Valerie Lisitsa.
From Sept., 2015 :

http://www.criticalmass.johnbellyoung.com/pianist-sokolov-refuses-cremona-award-blames-norman-lebrecht/
Charles
2017-04-14 00:51:41 UTC
Bozo: I will press my acquaintance for more details about JBY's death. Apparently the news came to him from friends or former friends of JBY in NY. The lawsuit from Lisitsa is news to me. One can imagine that he got agitated over it and that it had an adverse effect on him--the ultimate one.
Bozo
2017-04-14 01:17:10 UTC
Thanks ; and yes as to stress, as it appears he was acting as his own lawyer.
Frank Berger
2017-04-14 01:34:51 UTC
Post by Charles
He was probably as well known for his legal pissing contest
(not taking sides here) with Valerie Lisitsa.
http://www.criticalmass.johnbellyoung.com/pianist-sokolov-refuses-cremona-award-blames-norman-lebrecht/
Bozo: I will press my acquaintance for more details about JBY's death. Apparently the news came to him from friends or former friends of JBY in NY. The lawsuit from Lisitsa is news to me. One can imagine that he got agitated over it and that it had an adverse effect on him--the ultimate one.
One can imagine a lot of things. But some thought are
ridiculously speculative.

JBY also tried to get a restraining order of some sort
against Lisitsa after she filed her libel (or defamation)
suit. The judge denied it.
n***@gmail.com
2017-04-17 19:16:20 UTC
Post by Charles
He was probably as well known for his legal pissing contest
(not taking sides here) with Valerie Lisitsa.
http://www.criticalmass.johnbellyoung.com/pianist-sokolov-refuses-cremona-award-blames-norman-lebrecht/
Bozo: I will press my acquaintance for more details about JBY's death. Apparently the news came to him from friends or former friends of JBY in NY. The lawsuit from Lisitsa is news to me. One can imagine that he got agitated over it and that it had an adverse effect on him--the ultimate one.
Perhaps this adverse ultimate effect caused his playing one wrong note in concert somewhere (as in):
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dinstant-video&field-keywords=grand+piano
Bozo
2017-04-13 11:09:28 UTC
He was probably as well known for his legal pissing contest
(not taking sides here) with Valerie Lisitsa. JBY took it
on himself via his blog to destroy Lisitsa's career because
of her political views (again, not taking sides). She
responded with a libel suit, which is still pending, I think.
Her lawsuit allegations, ; wow :

https://www.scribd.com/document/323229377/Valentina-Lisitsa-Plaintiff-vs-John-Bell-Young-Defendant-Complaint
Bozo
2017-04-13 11:17:54 UTC
https://www.scribd.com/document/323229377/Valentina-Lisitsa-Plaintiff-vs-John-Bell-Young-Defendant->Complaint
Apparently, JBY still alive March 7,2017, Court filing # 33, representing himself in the lawsuit ( a stressful matter !! ) :

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/15297962/Lisitsa_v_Young#
Frank Berger
2017-04-13 11:58:27 UTC
https://www.scribd.com/document/323229377/Valentina-Lisitsa-Plaintiff-vs-John-Bell-Young-Defendant->Complaint
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/15297962/Lisitsa_v_Young#
Does the fact that JBY's Wikipedia page has not been updated
to reflect his death mean anything? It appears to be
self-written. If JBY died, who would update the page?
Hardly a proof, of course. OTOH, if he did pass away, you
would think there would be some online evidence somewhere.
piano4tay
2017-04-14 05:40:36 UTC
If 'wow' is your response to the Lisitsa allegations, you might want to check out some of the other things JBY had said about people over the years, including on RMCR.......Anyone remembering the things he said about Muslims after 911 might be as surprised as I was to hear him accuse someone else of being 'racist'....Likewise his specious reference to 'cross dressing Tom Deacon' (in a characteristically 'colourful' assessment of Glenn Gould that's still on JBYs blog) doesn't seem to fit with someone complaining about someone else's Homophobia....The NYP headline could easily have read 'Racist' pianist sues racist critic who says she should drop dead,drops dead'.....Alternatively, 'He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword' seems apt.....

A kinder obituary of JBY might refer to him not as a music critic, but as a superb pianist....one who unfortunately recorded far too little, while writing far too much, far too often....

AMN
AB
2017-04-15 17:50:37 UTC
Post by piano4tay
[...]
year ago, he launched an anti-Semitic rant at me for my less than enthusiastic comments regarding Arrau's pianism.
The guy was unhinged.

AB
m***@gmail.com
Can someone clue me in on JBY and what happened that would cause a libel suit - what did he do???
Bozo
2017-04-15 22:42:40 UTC
As posted earlier in this thread on April 13 :

https://www.scribd.com/document/323229377/Valentina-Lisitsa-Plaintiff-vs-John-Bell-Young-Defendant-Complaint
Oscar
2017-04-15 22:50:06 UTC
Meshuggeneh.

From The New York Post:

<< 'Racist' pianist sues critic who says she should 'drop dead'

By Kathleen Boniello
July 31, 2016

A concert pianist claims an online critic — not her own allegedly racist tweets — is ruining her career.

Valentina Lisitsa, a Ukrainian musician who rose to popularity on YouTube with more than 62 million views, says in a lawsuit her CD sales and bookings have plunged since classi­cal-music critic John Bell Young started maligning her on his blog and on Facebook as Islamophobic, anti-Semitic and homophobic.

He doesn’t like her piano playing either.

“She’s some hack,” Young told The Post.

Lisitsa, a pro-Russia native of Kiev who uses her Twitter account to slam her fellow Ukrainians as “bird-brained” Nazis, says in her $6.7 million Manhattan federal-court filing that Young has gone “beyond subjective critiques of artistic talent.”

Lisitsa, 42, who has been touted as the Justin Bieber of classical music, says Young allegedly wrote that she “should die,” and slammed her as a “pig,” “whore,” “criminal,” and the “world’s worst pianist,” who traded sex for career advancement and had abortions as a teen.

“The statements . . . are untrue,” Lisitsa says in her defamation lawsuit.

“Oh, she should absolutely drop dead,” Young retorted. “I don’t really care what she says because she’s a horrible pianist, she’s a horrible human being.”

Lisitsa’s career once included performances at Carnegie Hall and London’s Royal Albert Hall. Last year, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra canceled a scheduled Lisitsa show based on her anti-Ukrainian tweets, which she has defended as free speech. Bookings since dropped from about $188,000 worth of business in 2014 to a mere $25,000 this year, she says.

Young, who reviewed the pianist’s work in February, says he has never met Lisitsa in person but has seen her racist rants online.

“This has made my day,” he said when The Post inquired about the allegations. “She is a racist . . . I would love the whole world to know what kind of woman this is.”

Lisitsa’s Twitter posts include using a picture of pig testicles to represent Ukranian leaders she dislikes.

Another image compared Ukranian teachers in ethnic garb to a photo of black people in tribal dress. She also mocked one political leader as having Down Syndrome.

“My objective is to make sure this vile woman does not perform in the United States of America,” Young said. >>

http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/racist-pianist-sues-critic-who-says-she-should-drop-dead/
Bozo
2017-04-15 23:31:38 UTC
Post by Oscar
Meshuggeneh.
Also posted in this thread April 13.
Frank Berger
2017-04-16 02:08:30 UTC

From: John Bell Young <***@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 00:57:30 -0800
Subject: [Scriabin] MY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A SECURE USA

Here is what I advocate and believe the US should do without
delay,
which is to say, play total hardball:.

1) The immediate suspension of all civil rights of foreign
nationals
of Middle Eastern background. No exceptions.

2) The issuance of National Identity Cards to all
native-born American
citizens, with specially marked cards for naturalized citizens,
especially those of middle eastern backgound ofof
the Muslim faith, whose movements and communications should
be put
under surveillance

3) The establishment of internment camps, with no limits on
detainment, for all suspicious foreign nationals and non-native
citizens of middle eastern descent.

4) Special Identity tags to be worn visibly at all times by
Muslims
and all people of middle eastern descent.

5) The suspension of all visas to all Middle Eastern
nationals, save
for pre-screened diplomats. medical professionals and mnown
suppliers of necessary imports..

6) The immediate closing of all Mosques throughout the US

7) The widespread strategic nuclear bombing of key middle
eastern
states.

8) Broadening the powers of the police and military to
allow them to
arrest suspicious middle eastern types on site.

9) Broadening the power that allows citizens to make citizens
arrests.

10) Rendering the expression of anti-semitism as a crime
punishable
by death, and those who engage in such practices subject to
arrest and
imprisonment. .

I do not consider these measures extreme in the least, but only
necessary to rid the country of the vermin and cockroaches
that are
the fruit of that sick religion, and its spawn, the murderous
terrorists. I do not stand alone on this issue, as it is
pretty plain
here that the vast majority of Americans feel pretty much
the same.
Bozo
2017-04-16 12:21:44 UTC
And he's probably correct that many Trump supporters feel the same way today.

Wonder what JBY suggests we do about nuclear-armed North Korea ? Send bellicose tweets like incompetent maniac DT does ?
dk
2017-04-17 07:16:23 UTC
Wonder what JBY suggests we do about nuclear-armed North Korea?
Simple: send Lisitsa! ;-)

dk
Neil
2017-04-22 10:15:45 UTC
He emailed me to enquire whether Fahran Malik was a fundamentalist. Bonkers.

Colourful and vitriolic. He was a pianist of note, some fine Scriabin recordings.
2017-04-23 03:06:41 UTC
Post by Neil
He emailed me to enquire whether Fahran Malik was a fundamentalist. Bonkers.
Colourful and vitriolic. He was a pianist of note, some fine Scriabin recordings.
Has it been confirmed that he has passed? He lived in NYC, didn't he?
There's usually some announcement when people of note (pun intended)
pass away.

His web site says he lived (lives?) in Palermo, Italy.
m***@gmail.com
2017-04-16 19:13:23 UTC
https://www.scribd.com/document/323229377/Valentina-Lisitsa-Plaintiff-vs-John-Bell-Young-Defendant-Complaint
Thanks
Bozo
2017-04-13 11:56:39 UTC
NY Post story : http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/racist-pianist-sues-critic-who-says-she-should-drop-dead/
n***@gmail.com
2017-04-13 13:59:22 UTC
Post by Charles
Someday maybe we'll read more, perhaps in the St. Petersburg (FL) press. Or perhaps he wasn't nearly as well-known as he imagined.
I didn't recognize the person behind the JBY acronym (?). If he might NOT be "nearly well-known", how many other readers, (aside from 'Oscar') did? Certainly not I, clearly being ignorant about such matters, as well as too many others).

However it got me thinking, which *living* classical music related persons can be recognized from their 3 initials? I only came up with one, JEG. What are some others?
2017-04-13 14:33:49 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
Post by Charles
Someday maybe we'll read more, perhaps in the St. Petersburg (FL) press. Or
perhaps he wasn't nearly as well-known as he imagined.
I didn't recognize the person behind the JBY acronym (?). If he might NOT be
"nearly well-known", how many other readers, (aside from 'Oscar') did?
Certainly not I, clearly being ignorant about such matters, as well as too
many others).
However it got me thinking, which *living* classical music related persons
can be recognized from their 3 initials? I only came up with one, JEG. What
are some others?
Only the ones who always use their middle names. :-)

MTT

-Owen
r***@verizon.net
2017-04-13 14:37:02 UTC
Not living, but ABM comes to mind.
JohnGavin
2017-04-13 15:28:51 UTC
MAH, ADL (gone, but never forgotten!), LL, YW
Bozo
2017-04-13 17:18:13 UTC
YYM.
Bozo
2017-04-12 11:20:32 UTC
Perhaps the acquaintance could provide the details such as when and where ? RIP.
Neil
2017-04-22 10:19:47 UTC

He was admired by Scriabin's daughters. And to my ears a very distinguished Scriabinist.
Neil
2017-04-23 07:50:04 UTC
There's a post on his blog from the 20th of April.
Herman
2017-04-23 08:12:30 UTC
looks like we're looking at a red herring here.
piano4tay
2017-04-23 08:14:38 UTC
We live in an age of fake news...
Amn
Neil
2017-04-23 08:19:26 UTC
Post by piano4tay
We live in an age of fake news...
Amn
And people who can't read properly (i.e me!)
Neil
2017-04-23 08:16:29 UTC
looks like we're looking at a red herring here.
My bad. 20th March. not April.
JohnA
2017-06-21 14:13:53 UTC
Post by Charles
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me that he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't know any details, perhaps some of you do?
A video has appeared on youtube, "In Memoriam of John Bell Young (July 1953 - April 2017)

"Published on May 25, 2017

Masterclass on Scriabin's Etude in C# minor, Op. 2 No. 1 (Part 1) - A video conference with John Bell Young in Vermont, USA and Robert Laniewski in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2015.

Regretfully, John Bell Young passed away at his home in Vermont in April 2017. Further information is pending.

Known as a tough critic, John Bell Young was also a brilliant pianist and teacher in his own right. His knowledge of music was vast and he had a myriad of ideas. His infectious enthusiasm and generous spirit will be fondly remembered.

He was an ardent defender of Israel.

Rest in Peace."

Posted by someone who uses the screen name "rianiewski."

So far, this has been the only reference to Bell's death that I have seen.
JohnA
2017-06-21 14:16:19 UTC

http://youtu.be/0LvdpVmFzgA

s***@nycap.rr.com
2017-06-21 20:13:16 UTC
Post by JohnA
Post by Charles
[...]
What has he got against Valentina Lisitsa? Has she expressed vile opinions that anyone is aware of?

MIFrost
Frank Lekens
2017-06-21 20:32:51 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
Post by JohnA
Post by Charles
[...]
She spawned some controversy with her tweets about Ukraine.
https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-09/ukrainian-pianists-pro-russia-tweets-get-her-barred-torontos-orchestra
--
Frank Lekens

http://fmlekens.home.xs4all.nl/
Frank Berger
2017-06-21 20:49:43 UTC
Post by Frank Lekens
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 10:16:21 AM UTC-4, JohnA
On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7:31:52 PM UTC-5, Charles
Post by Charles
[...]
I'm not sure how vile her tweets were as I haven't read
them. But whatever they were JBY went on a crusade to
destroy her career. Whether this is heroic, demented or
what I don't know. I posted about this before. She brought
suit against him for slandering her (or something like
that). I suppose the suit dies with Young.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/racist-pianist-sues-critic-who-says-she-should-drop-dead/
s***@nycap.rr.com
2017-06-21 22:21:47 UTC
I'm not sure how vile her tweets were as I haven't read
them. But whatever they were JBY went on a crusade to
destroy her career. Whether this is heroic, demented or
what I don't know. I posted about this before. She brought
suit against him for slandering her (or something like
that). I suppose the suit dies with Young.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/racist-pianist-sues-critic-who-says-she-should-drop-dead/
Well, there's still no real evidence that he's died. Is there?

MIFrost
Frank Berger
2017-06-21 22:23:31 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
Post by Frank Berger
I'm not sure how vile her tweets were as I haven't read
them. But whatever they were JBY went on a crusade to
destroy her career. Whether this is heroic, demented or
what I don't know. I posted about this before. She brought
suit against him for slandering her (or something like
that). I suppose the suit dies with Young.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/racist-pianist-sues-critic-who-says-she-should-drop-dead/
Well, there's still no real evidence that he's died. Is there?
MIFrost
If he shows up to testify in the court case, that would
suggest he's still alive. But you never know.
Bozo
2017-06-22 00:04:39 UTC
Could be an imposter , like the guy playing President of the USA.
Oscar
2017-06-22 01:33:49 UTC
We were having a nice little thread lambasting the character of a deceased man, and you had to go ahead and bring politics into it. Harrumph!
Frank Berger
2017-06-22 15:44:45 UTC
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 4:49:51 PM UTC-4, Frank
Post by Frank Berger
I'm not sure how vile her tweets were as I haven't read
them. But whatever they were JBY went on a crusade to
destroy her career. Whether this is heroic, demented or
what I don't know. I posted about this before. She brought
suit against him for slandering her (or something like
that). I suppose the suit dies with Young.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/racist-pianist-sues-critic-who-says-she-should-drop-dead/
Well, there's still no real evidence that he's died. Is
there?
MIFrost
If he shows up to testify in the court case, that would
suggest he's still alive. But you never know.
Here's information about Lisitsa's suit against young which
was filed in July 2016.

https://www.scribd.com/document/323229528/Valentina-Lisitsa-Plaintiff-vs-John-Bell-Young-Defendant-Complaint-Exhibit-A

Young's "Critical Mass" blog seems to be shut down. His
Facebook account is still there, but the posts that refer to
Lisitsa seems to be gone. What's still there is more
moderate, like several references in which he wishes for
Trump and Pence to be killed.
Bozo
2017-06-23 11:16:19 UTC
Looks like he brought politics into it.Or what passes for politics these days.
piano4tay
I clicked on that link expecting a music master class and switched off after watching 55 secs of a senior gentleman trying to get to grips with his first computer....That's not the way I'd want to be remembered.....
Peter Lemken
2017-06-24 09:13:23 UTC
Post by Charles
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me that he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't know any details, perhaps some of you do?
Whatever.

I hope this asshole burns in hell.

Peter Lemken
+43-1
Nature abhors crude hacks.
dk
2017-06-24 19:50:19 UTC
Post by Peter Lemken
Post by Charles
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me
that he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't
know any details, perhaps some of you do?
Whatever.
I hope this asshole burns in hell.
Hell now runs on clean energy! ;-)

dk
rl
2017-06-27 13:26:39 UTC
I thought that video might show more of his human side - that he could be quite cordial. There's a longer video of him giving a masterclass on Chopin after his stroke in 2013, by which time he could no longer play.

I have no wish to cross swords with anyone.

rl
AG
2017-07-12 21:03:52 UTC
Post by Charles
A former acquaintance of JBY's has just informed me that he has died, apparently of a stroke. I don't know any details, perhaps some of you do?
http://slippedisc.com/2017/07/well-known-us-pianist-died-alone-with-his-dog/

A student of John Bell Young has reported his death, in his apartment in Bratteleboro, Vermont, alone with his dog, Ben.

He had not been heard from since April.

Confirmation of his death has been issued by a US district court in New York, where Young was being sued for defamation by by the pianist Valentina Lisitsa.

Young’s sister, reporting his death, declared him to be insolvent and intestate. He had no spouse or children. The death certificate places date of death as ‘April 2017’ and confirms his cremation on April 20, in Middlebury, VT.

John Bell Young, who was 63, had been impaired for the past four years by the effects of a stroke.

A New Yorker of part-Cherokee origin, he supplemented a stuttering career as a pianist with writing reviews in music journals. He considered himself the ultimate authority on the music of Scriabin and attacked anyone who questioned his credentials. A combative, venomous character he issued death threats to imagined enemies and pursued online vendettas against dozens of musicians and media persons.

That was the public face of John Bell Young. His student has described him as a sympathetic teacher, capable of great kindness. May he rest in peace.
Charles
Thank you, AG, for this most final of final replies to my initial email. Lebrecht got it all right, I think.
piano4tay
2017-07-14 06:26:33 UTC
Any news of Ben?....
s***@gmail.com
2017-09-14 18:31:06 UTC
Ben is happily living in Massachusetts with friends and of John's who took care of been when John had his first stroke.