WAYLT - July,2018
2018-07-14 11:37:09 UTC
Music of Paul Ben Haim.

( Violin Concerto with Perlman/Mehta )

(Piano music with Gila Goldstein )
c***@gmail.com
2018-07-14 13:00:46 UTC
Music of Paul Ben Haim.
http://youtu.be/Oe9SlliLlIE ( Violin Concerto with Perlman/Mehta )
http://youtu.be/6MW5Ro0s6vY (Piano music with Gila Goldstein )
Some extraordinary archival recordings of Ben Haim's music have been uploaded to Symphonyshare. Highly recommended for those with interest and access.

AC
HT
2018-07-14 18:57:54 UTC
I'm resisting CDs I haven't heard for a long time. Lately:

1. Tokarev French music.
Nice but nothing special.

2. Trpceski Tchaikovsky/Pletnev, Scriabin #5, Stravinsky Petrouchka, Prokofiev #6.
Great fingers, some great ideas but in general a lack of purpose.

3. Uninsky. Mozart K460, Liszt sonata, Stravinsky Ptroucka, Debussy from: Images and Preludes, Prokofiev: Gavotte and Toccata.
Great fingers, great ideas, a lack of structure in particular in the Mozart, Liszt and Stravinsky.

In the 1960s he was considered one of the great. I remember a radio interview with Rubinstein, Malcuzynski and Uninsky about touring soloists and their complaints about being served frozen chicken (otherwise excellently prepared). Uninsky could always taste the difference. Malcuzynski told that he used not to go on holidays. He was afraid that his technique would suffer if he didn't practice every day. When he finally did he noticed that it took him only a few days to reach his former level and that he liked liked his 'job' better than before. Rubinstein was a pleasure to listen to but I cannot remember a word he said.

4. Vondracek. Haydn sonata #50, Rachmaninoff Corelli, Prokofiev #7
Most impressive of the four as a pianist and musician. It surprises me how difficult it is to listen to him. He has everything so much under control that it sounds more like a 'this is the way to play Haydn ...' than Haydn ..He has won the QEB and is as impressive but much easier to listen to live.

2018-07-24 22:57:50 UTC
**NEW release:

Beethoven: Trios for clarinet, cello and piano
including Op.38 (after Septet, Op.20)

Eric Le Sage
Paul Meyer
Claudio Bohorquez

alpha.

iTunes Store download. Had to buy it. Magnifique.
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-07-25 00:29:17 UTC
Music of Paul Ben Haim.
http://youtu.be/Oe9SlliLlIE ( Violin Concerto with Perlman/Mehta )
http://youtu.be/6MW5Ro0s6vY (Piano music with Gila Goldstein )
Shostakovich 4th and 11th symphonies by Andris Nelsons and the BSO. Great
performances and sound to match.

Started Hartmann's Simplicius Simplicimus on Challenge Classics. Very
powerful music by a favorite composer of mine.

Been on a Weill kick and watched Pabst's Threepenny Opera. His 2 symphonies
and Violin Concerto (wonderful) on emi. Plus various selections by Lotte Lenya
Patti LuPone on You Tube.