WAYLTL - Ifukube
Ed Presson
2015-09-17 17:53:09 UTC
Akira Ifukube: Orchestral Works. Japan Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
conducted by Jyun'ichi Hirokami. King KICC 178

Symphonic Fantasias 1-3 and Rondo Burlesque for Japanese Drum and
Orchestra.

The Fantasias are drawn from Ifukube's film music, mostly
Japanese monster movies such as Godzilla, Battle in Outer Space,
Destroy All Monsters, and many others. As a result, most of the
movements come from the following categories: (1) peace and tranquility,
(2) ominous foreboding as the monster rises from the depths,
(3) march of the human armies to combat the monsters, (4) battle music,
and (5) devastation and tranquility restored-with occasional hints of a
sequel.
Each movement tends to be short, as seems little more than excerpts from
a movie score. There is not attempt to build a new, through-composed,
piece from these excerpts, at least to my ear.

The Rondo Burlesque is one ten-minute movement and tends to
overstay its welcome.

I don't know if the translator is having a bit of fun with stereotypes, or
if
the following in inadvertent:

"Flankenstein Conquers the World"
Recording Information: Studer A820 (2-channel anarogue)

Clearly, the recording was made to appeal to a specific sub-group, for
the recording information continues:

Monitor Speaker: Altec 604G
Monitor Amplifier: Altec 1568A (tube type)

even though the recording was made in 1995 when more modern
equipment was available and widely used.

A very guilty pleasure, to be enjoyed every three or four years.

Ed Presson
Frank Berger
2015-09-17 17:57:21 UTC
I thought this was a different sort of post at first
2015-09-17 18:59:30 UTC
In article <mteuim$ss$***@dont-email.me>, Ed Presson <***@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Akira Ifukube: Orchestral Works. Japan Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
> conducted by Jyun'ichi Hirokami. King KICC 178
>
> Symphonic Fantasias 1-3 and Rondo Burlesque for Japanese Drum and
> Orchestra.
>
> The Fantasias are drawn from Ifukube's film music, mostly
> Japanese monster movies such as Godzilla, Battle in Outer Space,
> Destroy All Monsters, and many others. As a result, most of the
> movements come from the following categories: (1) peace and tranquility,
> (2) ominous foreboding as the monster rises from the depths,
> (3) march of the human armies to combat the monsters, (4) battle music,
> and (5) devastation and tranquility restored-with occasional hints of a
> sequel.
> Each movement tends to be short, as seems little more than excerpts from
> a movie score. There is not attempt to build a new, through-composed,
> piece from these excerpts, at least to my ear.
>
> The Rondo Burlesque is one ten-minute movement and tends to
> overstay its welcome.
>
> I don't know if the translator is having a bit of fun with stereotypes, or
> if
> the following in inadvertent:
>
> "Flankenstein Conquers the World"
> Recording Information: Studer A820 (2-channel anarogue)
>
> Clearly, the recording was made to appeal to a specific sub-group, for
> the recording information continues:
>
> Monitor Speaker: Altec 604G
> Monitor Amplifier: Altec 1568A (tube type)
>
> even though the recording was made in 1995 when more modern
> equipment was available and widely used.
>
> A very guilty pleasure, to be enjoyed every three or four years.

Spotify has a bit of Ifukube, I'm listening to the Symphonic Fantasia
No. 1 with the Russian Philharmonic Orchestra (?) with Dmitry
Yablonsky. Neat! Brings me back to my childhood watching monster
movies at the Academy movie downtown on a Saturday. (On weekends, the
Academy showed kid monster movies, on weekdays, they showed porn.)

2018-08-05 04:20:56 UTC
On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 7:53:16 AM UTC-10, Ed Presson wrote:
> Akira Ifukube: Orchestral Works. Japan Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
> conducted by Jyun'ichi Hirokami. King KICC 178
>
> Symphonic Fantasias 1-3 and Rondo Burlesque for Japanese Drum and
> Orchestra.
>
> The Fantasias are drawn from Ifukube's film music, mostly
> Japanese monster movies such as Godzilla, Battle in Outer Space,
> Destroy All Monsters, and many others. As a result, most of the
> movements come from the following categories: (1) peace and tranquility,
> (2) ominous foreboding as the monster rises from the depths,
> (3) march of the human armies to combat the monsters, (4) battle music,
> and (5) devastation and tranquility restored-with occasional hints of a
> sequel.
> Each movement tends to be short, as seems little more than excerpts from
> a movie score. There is not attempt to build a new, through-composed,
> piece from these excerpts, at least to my ear.
>
> The Rondo Burlesque is one ten-minute movement and tends to
> overstay its welcome.
>
> I don't know if the translator is having a bit of fun with stereotypes, or
> if
> the following in inadvertent:
>
> "Flankenstein Conquers the World"
> Recording Information: Studer A820 (2-channel anarogue)
>
> Clearly, the recording was made to appeal to a specific sub-group, for
> the recording information continues:
>
> Monitor Speaker: Altec 604G
> Monitor Amplifier: Altec 1568A (tube type)
>
> even though the recording was made in 1995 when more modern
> equipment was available and widely used.
>
> A very guilty pleasure, to be enjoyed every three or four years.
>
> Ed Presson

Upcoming radio program:

https://www.wfmt.com/2018/08/05/akira-ifukube/
Ed Presson
2018-08-05 22:33:12 UTC
wrote in message

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 7:53:16 AM UTC-10, Ed Presson wrote:
> Akira Ifukube: Orchestral Works. Japan Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
> conducted by Jyun'ichi Hirokami. King KICC 178
>
> Symphonic Fantasias 1-3 and Rondo Burlesque for Japanese Drum and
> Orchestra.
>
> The Fantasias are drawn from Ifukube's film music, mostly
> Japanese monster movies such as Godzilla, Battle in Outer Space,
> Destroy All Monsters, and many others. As a result, most of the
> movements come from the following categories: (1) peace and tranquility,
> (2) ominous foreboding as the monster rises from the depths,
> (3) march of the human armies to combat the monsters, (4) battle music,
> and (5) devastation and tranquility restored-with occasional hints of a
> sequel.
> Each movement tends to be short, as seems little more than excerpts from
> a movie score. There is not attempt to build a new, through-composed,
> piece from these excerpts, at least to my ear.
>
> The Rondo Burlesque is one ten-minute movement and tends to
> overstay its welcome.
>
> I don't know if the translator is having a bit of fun with stereotypes, or
> if
> the following in inadvertent:
>
> "Flankenstein Conquers the World"
> Recording Information: Studer A820 (2-channel anarogue)
>
> Clearly, the recording was made to appeal to a specific sub-group, for
> the recording information continues:
>
> Monitor Speaker: Altec 604G
> Monitor Amplifier: Altec 1568A (tube type)
>
> even though the recording was made in 1995 when more modern
> equipment was available and widely used.
>
> A very guilty pleasure, to be enjoyed every three or four years.
>
> Ed Presson

>Upcoming radio program:

>https://www.wfmt.com/2018/08/05/akira-ifukube/

Thanks for the link.