Toscanini's 39 cycle on Andromeda
chez_toscanini
2006-02-06 10:37:31 UTC
Found this and bought. Toscanini at his best. Technique should be at
its quite best. Remastering inspiring no enthusiasm. The source appears
to be the same as the old Relief, but no improvement. In many cases it
appears a quite rough disc-to-disk copy with a few interventions on
sound quality. probably distortions on high volumes of sound was
present in the source but it could be somehow solved with more care on
sound processing. Sound is kept quite dry, probably to evoke the Studio
8-h dryness.
About the cycle: a must have for those Toscanini's estimators who have
not yet it.
Ezio
Feuillade
2006-02-06 18:06:46 UTC
Post by chez_toscanini
Found this and bought.
Where?

Tom Moran
Marc Perman
2006-02-07 02:59:46 UTC
Post by chez_toscanini
Found this and bought. Toscanini at his best. Technique should be at
its quite best. Remastering inspiring no enthusiasm. The source appears
to be the same as the old Relief, but no improvement. In many cases it
appears a quite rough disc-to-disk copy with a few interventions on
sound quality. probably distortions on high volumes of sound was
present in the source but it could be somehow solved with more care on
sound processing. Sound is kept quite dry, probably to evoke the Studio
8-h dryness.
About the cycle: a must have for those Toscanini's estimators who have
not yet it.
I haven't heard the Andromeda transfers but Naxos did a very good job with
these a few years ago.

Marc Perman
Matthew B. Tepper
2006-02-07 04:01:24 UTC
Post by Marc Perman
Post by chez_toscanini
Found this and bought. Toscanini at his best. Technique should be at
its quite best. Remastering inspiring no enthusiasm. The source appears
to be the same as the old Relief, but no improvement. In many cases it
appears a quite rough disc-to-disk copy with a few interventions on
sound quality. probably distortions on high volumes of sound was present
in the source but it could be somehow solved with more care on sound
processing. Sound is kept quite dry, probably to evoke the Studio 8-h
dryness.
About the cycle: a must have for those Toscanini's estimators who have
not yet it.
I haven't heard the Andromeda transfers but Naxos did a very good job
with these a few years ago.
Ezio already mentioned the Relief edition. I used to have a nice fancy-
looking 6-CD box on Nuova Era. And of course I had the Olympic LPs, which
were basically Everest licensing from the Arturo Toscanini Society.
I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)
chez_toscanini
2006-02-07 07:22:43 UTC
1- Found in a shop here in Italy, I was surprised too as the release
date was given February on an Internet site, but who knows the
commercial plans of the distributors?
2- I agree about Naxos, what a pity that they have less chances, and
also they made some evident mistakes (ie, Mendelssohn concert)
3- The Nuova Era (R.I.P. for the old releases) had some good things.
Perhaps too much reverberation as for the German requiem, but also some
very good sources, as I told to Mark Obert-Thorn, which made a really
good work for Naxos, but with a worse source.

Ezio