Prokofiev Sym 5 Stokowski Melodiya
2017-07-13 23:14:05 UTC
Anyone know this recording?

https://www.amazon.com/MK-1551-Prokofiev-Symphony-Stokowski/dp/B015A52L2E

Has it ever been reissued?
Frank Berger
2017-07-13 23:50:44 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Anyone know this recording?
https://www.amazon.com/MK-1551-Prokofiev-Symphony-Stokowski/dp/B015A52L2E
Has it ever been reissued?
There was a Stokowski performance from 1958 with the Moscow
Radio Symphony" which I'm guessing is the same as the "USSR
Radio Symphony" released on Memories 2067/2068. They
actually have it at BRO.
Kerrison
2017-07-14 13:45:52 UTC
There was a Stokowski performance from 1958 with the Moscow
Radio Symphony" which I'm guessing is the same as the "USSR
Radio Symphony" released on Memories 2067/2068. They
actually have it at BRO.
According to the Stokowski Legacy site, which attempts to list every concert he ever conducted, he played the Prokofiev 5th just once 'live' on that tour, with the USSR State Radio Large Symphony Orchestra in the Great Hall of the Moscow Conservatory. He then recorded it in studio sessions for 'Melodya' and on MK 1551 it was simplified to USSR Radio Symphony Orchestra. As you rightly guess, it's the same recording as the Moscow Radio Symphony one.

Interesting to read in the 'Pristine' notes that Stokowski's US Premiere of the Prokofiev 6th Symphony was the first of only four that he ever gave of the work, in November & December 1949, and he returned to No. 5 just once more, in 1967 with the American Symphony.

http://www.stokowski.org/Leopold_Stokowski_Concerts.htm

Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-07-14 00:46:55 UTC
See: https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc161

Mark O-T
Bozo
2017-07-14 01:14:22 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
See: https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc161
The Scherzo :

Kerrison
2017-07-14 10:04:13 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
See: https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc161
The Scherzo : http://youtu.be/Nk1qR_gIPTs
Also on You Tube from that same 1958 USSR tour, is Stokey conducting the last minute of the Shostakovich 11th, of which he'd just given the US Premiere in Houston ...