What is your favorite recording of the Elgar "Enigma Variations"?
Add Reply
Polluter Politika
2011-12-08 14:54:47 UTC

2011-12-08 15:01:44 UTC

2011-12-08 15:20:22 UTC
On Dec 8, 8:54 am, Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I like the - in this order
> 1 MSO- Dutoit
> 2 BSO - Litton
> 3 HO - Barbirolli
> 4.LSO - Boult
> What is your favorite?

Solti/Chicago -- the London/Decca recording, and the live broadcast I
taped off the air back in 1979 and have since released into the wilds
of the 'net. Solti's (both the LP and the broadcast cassette) was my
imprint version, having heard him and the CSO do it in 1979. I still
love it.

I remember being intrigued to hear the work in the first place after
reading an interview with Solti. He said something like, "When I die,
I want to be buried with the scores of Beethoven's 9th Symphony in one
hand and Elgar's Enigma Variations in the other." At the time, in my
late 'teens, I was OBSESSED with Beethoven and nothing more than the
9th, and I was a fan of the CSO, my hometown orchestra, and Solti, so
I figured I should get to know this mysterious-sounding "Enigma
Variations."

Dave Royko
http://www.davidroyko.com is Dave Royko's site for info about:
The book, Royko In Love: Mike's Letters to Carol (UofCPress);
The book, Voices of Children of Divorce (St. Martin's Press);
Music reviews & features (Chgo Trib, etc.); Ben stories (Autism);
CSO "From The Archives" index; Music Ramblings; and plenty of Etc.
Polluter Politika
2011-12-08 15:25:28 UTC

Tank you for this posing
Heck51
2011-12-08 22:03:08 UTC

Yes, same here, tho the Monteux/LSO is really excellent as well.
Frank Berger
2011-12-08 15:29:02 UTC
Polluter Politika wrote:
> I like the - in this order
> 1 MSO- Dutoit
> 2 BSO - Litton
> 3 HO - Barbirolli
> 4.LSO - Boult
>
> What is your favorite?

So many good ones. The one that springs to mind is Stokowski's 1972 Decca
recording with the Czech PO. Was available in the Decca Original Masters
box and indicidually on Cala at one time or another. Both are available used
on Amazon.
Matthew B. Tepper
2011-12-08 15:38:48 UTC
Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:339e6251-f81f-4158-97a0-
***@q30g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

> I like the - in this order
> 1 MSO- Dutoit
> 2 BSO - Litton
> 3 HO - Barbirolli
> 4.LSO - Boult
>
> What is your favorite?

Monteux/LSO
Boult 1970
Elgar 1926
Toscanini/BBCSO
Stokowski/CzPO
Mehta/LAPO

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
Abbeddrose Bierce
2011-12-08 17:20:18 UTC
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 06:54:47 -0800 (PST), Polluter Politika
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>I like the - in this order
>1 MSO- Dutoit
>2 BSO - Litton
>3 HO - Barbirolli
>4.LSO - Boult
>
>What is your favorite?

Toscanini owns this piece

Abbedd
Polluter Politika
2011-12-08 17:29:29 UTC

horrible sound
phlogiston
2011-12-08 17:35:39 UTC
Jochum LPO -spacious almost Brucknerian "Nimrod"
Andrew Davis and the New Philharmonia did a good recording, including
the organ part in the finale, which adds an extra dimension.

Best wishes,
MSW
2011-12-08 20:39:42 UTC
On Dec 8, 11:35 am, phlogiston <***@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Jochum LPO -spacious almost Brucknerian "Nimrod"
> Andrew Davis and the New Philharmonia did a good recording, including
> the organ part in the finale, which adds an extra dimension.

I like Davis's BBCSO disc a lot, but my top three would likely be
Monteux, Mehta and Barbirolli's nixa one.
Nils-Eivind Naas
2011-12-10 21:20:25 UTC
phlogiston <***@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
om:

> Jochum LPO -spacious almost Brucknerian "Nimrod"

The DG recording was with the LSO, I believe.
If there is an LPO recording, I have not seen it.

I agree with your recommendation.
nen
Abbeddrose Bierce
2011-12-08 18:58:06 UTC
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:29:29 -0800 (PST), Polluter Politika
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 8, 12:20 pm, Abbeddrose Bierce <***@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 06:54:47 -0800 (PST), Polluter Politika
>>
>> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >I like the - in this order
>> >1 MSO- Dutoit
>> >2 BSO - Litton
>> >3 HO - Barbirolli
>> >4.LSO - Boult
>>
>> >What is your favorite?
>>
>> Toscanini owns this piece
>>
>> Abbedd
>
>horrible sound

Not in MY remastering

Abbedd
Gerard
2011-12-08 20:11:52 UTC

More than horrible sound.
Abbeddrose Bierce
2011-12-08 20:31:33 UTC
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 21:11:52 +0100, "Gerard"
<ghendrikse-***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Abbeddrose Bierce wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:29:29 -0800 (PST), Polluter Politika
>> <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > horrible sound
>>

>> Not in MY remastering
>>

>More than horrible sound.

How can you say that when you have never heard it?

Abbedd
Gerard
2011-12-08 20:37:39 UTC

Why not?
Abbeddrose Bierce
2011-12-08 21:35:16 UTC
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 21:37:39 +0100, "Gerard"
<ghendrikse-***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Abbeddrose Bierce wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 21:11:52 +0100, "Gerard"
>> <ghendrikse-***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > More than horrible sound.
>>
>> How can you say that when you have never heard it?
>>
>> Abbedd
>
>Why not?

I guess you ARE that stupid

Abbedd
Gerard
2011-12-08 21:37:18 UTC

Stupid to listen to your "remastering"?
2011-12-08 23:12:56 UTC
On Dec 8, 4:37 pm, "Gerard" <ghendrikse-***@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Stupid to listen to your "remastering"?

No, stupid to respond to him.

Ever.
Oscar
2011-12-08 23:41:45 UTC
The worst is easily Norrington's recent release with Stuttgart RSO
http://tiny.cc/picrt I bought it in July for $6...in the used bin, of
course.
M forever
2011-12-09 02:07:25 UTC

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered it.
herman
2011-12-08 20:40:24 UTC

you don't do remasters, since you have no access to the mastertapes.
Abbeddrose Bierce
2011-12-08 21:37:14 UTC
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:40:24 -0800 (PST), herman <***@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 8 déc, 19:58, Abbeddrose Bierce <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Not in MY remastering
>>
>> Abbedd
>
>you don't do remasters, since you have no access to the mastertapes.

Why would somebody that stupid respond with such a stupid statement

You were caught being stupid yesterday. Now it is two days in a row.

What should we expect tomorrow?

Abbedd
M forever
2011-12-08 22:30:22 UTC
On Dec 8, 4:37 pm, Abbeddrose Bierce <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:40:24 -0800 (PST), herman <***@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On 8 déc, 19:58, Abbeddrose Bierce <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Not in MY remastering
>
> >> Abbedd
>
> >you don't do remasters, since you have no access to the mastertapes.
>
> Why would somebody that stupid respond with such a  stupid statement
>
> You were caught being stupid yesterday. Now it is two days in a row.
>
> What should we expect tomorrow?
>
> Abbedd

You have been caught being stupid every time you posted something over
years here, and you have been caught being completely incompetent
every time you post one of your "remasterings" here, again for many
years now.
So it is pretty safe to say that any of your "remasterings" sound like
crap without listening to it. You have proven so many times that you
have no clue what you are doing.
D***@aol.com
2011-12-08 22:13:45 UTC
On Dec 8, 11:29 am, Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 8, 12:20 pm, Abbeddrose Bierce <***@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 06:54:47 -0800 (PST), Polluter Politika
>
> > <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >I like the - in this order
> > >1 MSO- Dutoit
> > >2 BSO - Litton
> > >3 HO - Barbirolli
> > >4.LSO - Boult
>
> > >What is your favorite?
>
> > Toscanini owns this piece
>
> > Abbedd
>
> horrible sound

The RCA Victor NBC SO recording? It has very good sound, better than
Victor gave Toscanini at other times. To what version have you
listened? Or do you mean the much earlier BBC SO performance?

Don Tait
Polluter Politika
2011-12-08 23:45:08 UTC
On Dec 8, 5:13 pm, "***@aol.com" <***@aol.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 8, 11:29 am, Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 12:20 pm, Abbeddrose Bierce <***@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Toscanini owns this piece
>
> > > Abbedd
>
> > horrible sound
>
>   The RCA Victor NBC SO recording? It has very good sound, better than
> Victor gave Toscanini at other times. To what version have you
> listened? Or do you mean the much earlier BBC SO performance?
>
>   Don Tait

I agree of course but I was dealing with Abbedd which is a stupid
name. the name alone is enough to gt one worked up even if he posts a
kind word or two
Abbeddrose Bierce
2011-12-09 00:11:57 UTC
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 15:45:08 -0800 (PST), Polluter Politika
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>I agree of course but I was dealing with Abbedd which is a stupid
>name. the name alone is enough to gt one worked up even if he posts a
>kind word or two

Please get help

Abbedd
pgaron
2011-12-08 15:56:29 UTC
On Dec 8, 9:54 am, Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I like the - in this order
> 1 MSO- Dutoit
> 2 BSO - Litton
> 3 HO - Barbirolli
> 4.LSO - Boult
>
> What is your favorite?

Lenny/BBCSO - eccentric though it may be...

pgaron
T. Esteban Ayala
2011-12-08 17:59:02 UTC
On Dec 8, 6:54 am, Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I like the - in this order
> 1 MSO- Dutoit
> 2 BSO - Litton
> 3 HO - Barbirolli
> 4.LSO - Boult
>
> What is your favorite?

5.) London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult (EMI; 1970)
4.) London Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux (Decca)
3.) London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Edward Elgar (Naxos, EMI; 1926)
2.) Halle Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli (Dutton, 1956?)
1.) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/John Eliot Gardiner (DG)
M forever
2011-12-08 18:11:33 UTC

Gardiner?
T. Esteban Ayala
2011-12-08 18:23:28 UTC
On Dec 8, 10:11 am, M forever <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 12:59 pm, "T. Esteban Ayala" <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 6:54 am, Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I like the - in this order
> > > 1 MSO- Dutoit
> > > 2 BSO - Litton
> > > 3 HO - Barbirolli
> > > 4.LSO - Boult
>
> > > What is your favorite?
>
> > 5.) London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult (EMI; 1970)
> > 4.) London Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux (Decca)
> > 3.) London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Edward Elgar (Naxos, EMI; 1926)
> > 2.) Halle Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli (Dutton, 1956?)
> > 1.) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/John Eliot Gardiner (DG)
>
> Gardiner?

Yeah. I bought it on a whim in 2002, even though I was by no means an
Elgar fan then (bore me to tears actually). But I found it used at a
very reasonable price and decided to try it. I was bowled over--it was
superb; made me a convert to Elgar's music right there and then. Just
hearing that luscious, plump VPO sound was enough for me. Even today I
find myself liking that recording best.

Other recordings I should've included in my lists are BBC Symphony
Orchestra/Arturo Toscanini and Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Leopold
Stokowski.
Matthew B. Tepper
2011-12-08 20:59:14 UTC
"T. Esteban Ayala" <***@gmail.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:7092401a-31b3-48a2-8606-04ed85e7a025
@r16g2000prr.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 8, 10:11 am, M forever <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 12:59 pm, "T. Esteban Ayala" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > 5.) London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult (EMI; 1970)
>> > 4.) London Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux (Decca)
>> > 3.) London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Edward Elgar (Naxos, EMI; 1926)
>> > 2.) Halle Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli (Dutton, 1956?)
>> > 1.) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/John Eliot Gardiner (DG)
>>
>> Gardiner?
>
> Yeah. I bought it on a whim in 2002, even though I was by no means an
> Elgar fan then (bore me to tears actually). But I found it used at a
> very reasonable price and decided to try it. I was bowled over--it was
> superb; made me a convert to Elgar's music right there and then. Just
> hearing that luscious, plump VPO sound was enough for me. Even today I
> find myself liking that recording best.

Wishlisted! Thanks.

--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
M forever
2011-12-09 02:32:22 UTC
On Dec 8, 1:23 pm, "T. Esteban Ayala" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 10:11 am, M forever <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 12:59 pm, "T. Esteban Ayala" <***@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > 5.) London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult (EMI; 1970)
> > > 4.) London Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux (Decca)
> > > 3.) London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Edward Elgar (Naxos, EMI; 1926)
> > > 2.) Halle Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli (Dutton, 1956?)
> > > 1.) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/John Eliot Gardiner (DG)
>
> > Gardiner?
>
> Yeah. I bought it on a whim in 2002, even though I was by no means an
> Elgar fan then (bore me to tears actually). But I found it used at a
> very reasonable price and decided to try it. I was bowled over--it was
> superb; made me a convert to Elgar's music right there and then. Just
> hearing that luscious, plump VPO sound was enough for me. Even today I
> find myself liking that recording best.

Interesting. I, too, enjoy the rich and deep sound of the orchestra in
this recording, but at the same time also the enormous refinedness and
detailedness of the playing which brings out a lot of the very fine
detail in the score.
There is also a recording with the WP and Solti which I think is very
good. Do you know it? If you know his CSO recording in which he and
the orchestra, as usual hack and slash and blare through the piece,
that may be hard to picture, but his highly energetic, sometimes
frenetic conducting, when tempered by an orchestra with a more
horizontal and sustained playing style could actually lead to quite
impressive results.

D***@aol.com
2011-12-08 22:26:01 UTC
On Dec 8, 11:59 am, "T. Esteban Ayala" <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 8, 6:54 am, Polluter Politika <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I like the - in this order
> > 1 MSO- Dutoit
> > 2 BSO - Litton
> > 3 HO - Barbirolli
> > 4.LSO - Boult
>
> > What is your favorite?
>
> 5.) London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult (EMI; 1970)
> 4.) London Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux (Decca)
> 3.) London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Edward Elgar (Naxos, EMI; 1926)
> 2.) Halle Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli (Dutton, 1956?)
> 1.) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/John Eliot Gardiner (DG)

These are all great versions. It's nice to see Elgar's own included.
And others included Jochum's, which is a superb version indeed. Solti
also did it magnificently, as David Royko posted.

I'd add Beecham's recording with the RPO. It's very personal as
always with him, but unforgettable.

Don Tait
Christopher Howell
2011-12-10 07:32:58 UTC
On 8 Dic, 23:26, "***@aol.com" <***@aol.com>
wrote:

>   I'd add Beecham's recording with the RPO. It's very personal as
> always with him, but unforgettable.
>
>   Don Tait>

Another British recording from the 50s worth considering for the list
is Weldon

Chris Howell
ways
2018-08-20 05:55:29 UTC
Elgar
Kerrison
2018-08-20 06:38:32 UTC
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 6:55:32 AM UTC+1, ways wrote:
> Elgar

This discography lists over 60 recordings from 1924 onwards, though as it stops at 2012 it's probably in need of up-dating. It is a nonsense for that one article to say which is the "best" as it's all a matter of opinion. To say which one you personally like the most is another matter and I find many of the non-British conductors & orchestras particularly interesting in this work, such as Steinberg / Pittsburgh, Ormandy / Philadelphia, Stokowski / Czech Philharmonic, and especially Kleinert / Berlin Radio SO which I'd put up there with the best of them, but that's only my opinion! ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_Variations_discography

Here's a little sample of the live Czech performance under the 90-year old Stokowski with a gorgeously resonant 'Nimrod' due to all that free-bowing in the strings ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US-cquums-E
r***@gmail.com
2018-08-20 07:45:45 UTC
I don't think anybody's mentioned Bernstein and BBC SO from early 80s.
That was a very controversial reading.

Rosemary Forbes-Butler
Terry
2011-12-08 22:48:38 UTC
On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 01:54:47 +1100, Polluter Politika wrote
(in article
<339e6251-f81f-4158-97a0-***@q30g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>):

> I like the - in this order
> 1 MSO- Dutoit
> 2 BSO - Litton
> 3 HO - Barbirolli
> 4.LSO - Boult
>
> What is your favorite?

Monteux, closely followed by Andrew Davis and then Yehudi Menuhin.

--
Cheers!

Terry
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-20 02:54:23 UTC
On Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 4:54:47 AM UTC-10, Polluter Politika wrote:
> I like the - in this order
> 1 MSO- Dutoit
> 2 BSO - Litton
> 3 HO - Barbirolli