ID this string quartet piece?
Add Reply
Mr. Mike
2017-08-06 15:24:24 UTC
http://www.mjq.net/del/party.mp3

Appears in the background at a fancy dress party during a Streets of
San Francisco episode.

Is this from a real piece, or is it just made up?
Herman
Haydn
Russ (not Martha)
2017-08-07 18:24:50 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
http://www.mjq.net/del/party.mp3
Appears in the background at a fancy dress party during a Streets of
San Francisco episode.
Is this from a real piece, or is it just made up?
Haydn
Music is too good to be an imitation - but which Haydn? Sounds like a main theme comes up at 0:36 but I checked the incipits of all the Haydn quartet slow movts and came up dry. It would help if the OP recalls in which episode of SoSF the music occurred. The series ran from 1972 to 1977.

Russ (not Martha)
Herman
2017-08-07 20:18:40 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Mr. Mike
http://www.mjq.net/del/party.mp3
Appears in the background at a fancy dress party during a Streets of
San Francisco episode.
Is this from a real piece, or is it just made up?
Haydn
Music is too good to be an imitation - but which Haydn? Sounds like a main theme comes up at 0:36 but I checked the incipits of all the Haydn quartet slow movts and came up dry. It would help if the OP recalls in which episode of SoSF the music occurred. The series ran from 1972 to 1977.
Russ (not Martha)
Now I know why I wasn't able either to place which particular Haydn quartet this is from.

It's from one of those preludes Mozart wrote to Back fugues for String Trio.
Herman
2017-08-07 20:21:34 UTC
It's Mozart / Bach KV 404 nr 3 in F major.

Beautiful piece.
Mr. Mike
2017-08-08 02:18:06 UTC
It's Mozart / Bach KV 404 nr 3 in F major.
Beautiful piece.
Thanks.

Mr. Mike
2017-08-08 02:08:37 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 11:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "Russ (not Martha)"
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Music is too good to be an imitation - but which Haydn? Sounds like a main theme comes up at 0:36 but I checked the incipits of all the Haydn quartet slow movts and came up dry. It would help if the OP recalls in which episode of SoSF the music occurred. The series ran from 1972 to 1977.
Of course, I know the episode, I was "working on it," LOL...

But what good would knowing the episode be?

http://www.thestreetsofsanfrancisco.info/sosf-2.htm#6