Wagner at the MET by Sony
Classica94
2013-01-28 19:21:50 UTC
A set of 25CDs is announced for March : "Wagner at the MET" - Sony

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-MET-Legendary-Performances-Metropolitan/dp/B00AL6SM0S

Probably some common performances with the famous Naxos publication ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Chorus-Orchestra-Metropolitan-Opera/dp/B00008OP1J/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1359400745&sr=1-1

Does anybody have more information about the exact content of the Sony Box ?
wkasimer
2013-01-28 20:03:54 UTC
Post by Classica94
Does anybody have more information about the exact content of the Sony Box ?
No, but it looks promising.

Bill
woytek
2013-01-29 12:44:06 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Classica94
Does anybody have more information about the exact content of the Sony Box ?
No, but it looks promising.
Bill
selection from this titles I think:
http://www.metoperafamily.org/ondemand/catalog/search/results/index.aspx?&composer=Wagner&mediaType=Audio
and probably Verdi box is on the way
wagnerfan
I'm sure its just some of the Sirius broadcasts Wagner fan
wkasimer
2013-01-29 14:45:58 UTC
  I'm sure its just some of the Sirius broadcasts
Which is of great benefit to those of us who no longer waste their
money on Sirius....

Bill
woytek
2013-01-29 15:03:39 UTC
Post by wkasimer
  I'm sure its just some of the Sirius broadcasts
Which is of great benefit to those of us who no longer waste their
money on Sirius....
Bill
Flagstad and Schorr are from this broadcast probably:
http://www.metoperafamily.org/ondemand/catalog/detail.aspx?upc=811357014080
of course this is available from Naxos and others labels
t***@googlemail.com
2013-01-29 20:38:13 UTC
My guess is that it would include the 1936 Gotterdammerung, the 1937 Siegfried and the 1941 Walkure - all of which have appeared on Sirius/on demand. It would be nice if they included the 1937 Rheingold and at least one of the many Tristans with Flagstad and Melchior (none of which have been on Sirius).
Tim
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-01-29 21:15:31 UTC
Post by t***@googlemail.com
My guess is that it would include the 1936 Gotterdammerung, the 1937
Siegfried and the 1941 Walkure - all of which have appeared on Sirius/on
demand. It would be nice if they included the 1937 Rheingold and at
least one of the many Tristans with Flagstad and Melchior (none of which
have been on Sirius). Tim
The broadcast seasons encompassing 1940-41 offered an amazing variety of
female voices for the Wagner fancier. In three "Walküre" performances we
have a choice of Flagstad & Lawrence (17 February 1940), Lawrence & Lehmann
(30 March 1940), and Varnay & (the brand-new) Traubel (6 December 1941).
--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
wade
2013-01-29 21:45:55 UTC
With Margaret Harshaw on the cover of the box, there would have to be some late40s-1950s performance(s) included.
Steve de Mena
2013-01-30 11:35:49 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by wagnerfan
I'm sure its just some of the Sirius broadcasts
Which is of great benefit to those of us who no longer waste their
money on Sirius....
Bill
I don't think it is a waste of money. When I travel and rent a car I
always try and get Sirius/XM service.

Do you think it is overpriced, the programming selection is poor,
and/or the audio quality is not good enough?

Steve
wkasimer
2013-01-30 15:03:34 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
I don't think it is a waste of money. When I travel and rent a car I
always try and get Sirius/XM service.
Do you think it is overpriced, the programming selection is poor,
and/or the audio quality is not good enough?
Yes to all three. Once I bought an iPhone and the Tune-in radio app,
I didn't have any use for Sirius.

Bill
wade
when i moved from Florida to Oregon, after going up US75 I went straight across US10 to Palm Springs and then up US5. I had the met opera station on the whole time and only during the passage thru the mountains around Mt Shasta did I lose signal. It was always fine. Going further west to the Oregon coast, there are times when you lose signal but that is usually when the roads cut thru mountainous areas.
wagnerfan
2013-01-30 15:53:10 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 07:03:34 -0800 (PST), wkasimer
Post by wkasimer
Post by Steve de Mena
I don't think it is a waste of money. When I travel and rent a car I
always try and get Sirius/XM service.
Do you think it is overpriced, the programming selection is poor,
and/or the audio quality is not good enough?
Yes to all three. Once I bought an iPhone and the Tune-in radio app,
I didn't have any use for Sirius.
Bill
I don't have a problem wth Sirius at all though I admit I only
listen to the MET broadcasts. For 50 cents a day I get approximately
15-20 live MET broadcasts per month, the programming selection is a
MET issue not Sirius though the historics they have played run very
deep through the MET repetory and the sound is usually much improved
over the old private issues and the sound is fine for me for live
radio broadcasts. Wagner Fan
wkasimer
2013-01-30 16:35:33 UTC
  I don't have a problem wth Sirius at all though  I admit I only
listen to the MET broadcasts. For 50 cents a day I get approximately
15-20 live MET broadcasts per month, the programming selection is a
MET issue not Sirius though the historics they have played run very
deep through the MET repetory and the sound is usually much improved
over the old private issues and the sound is fine for me for live
radio broadcasts.
Like you, I only listened to the Met broadcasts, and I found it
suboptimal to tune in in the middle of something, and got tired of the
repetition. And the other classical music offerings on Sirius were
largely crap.

Instead, I use my iPhone and iPad to stream various stations (US,
Europe, and Australia) that provide a much greater variety of music,
particularly live performances.

Bill
wagnerfan
2013-01-30 17:09:11 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:35:33 -0800 (PST), wkasimer
Post by wkasimer
[...]
You know you can set the Sirius player to start at the beginning of
a selection - that means even if you get to tune in over an hour into
the opera it will start playing just before the start of the broadcast
and you get the whole thing. I also use my Ipad to get a slew of
foreign stations Wagner FAN
2013-01-30 16:46:32 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Steve de Mena
I don't think it is a waste of money. When I travel and rent a car I
always try and get Sirius/XM service.
Do you think it is overpriced, the programming selection is poor,
and/or the audio quality is not good enough?
Yes to all three. Once I bought an iPhone and the Tune-in radio app,
I didn't have any use for Sirius.
Bill
I don't have a problem wth Sirius at all though I admit I only
listen to the MET broadcasts. For 50 cents a day I get approximately
15-20 live MET broadcasts per month, the programming selection is a
MET issue not Sirius though the historics they have played run very
deep through the MET repetory and the sound is usually much improved
over the old private issues and the sound is fine for me for live
radio broadcasts. Wagner Fan
The MET stuff is the best thing about Sirius. I have/had it in my car,
but I let it expire after the 3 month free trial. They keep offering
to turn it back on for $25 for six months, but they'll bill me at their
regular rates after the six months. Since it's in my car, the MET
isn't that valuable, as you'll almost never get to hear a whole opera,
just bits and pieces at random start times. The "classical" and "light
classical" stations are lousy.

-Owen
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-01-30 20:41:37 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by wagnerfan
I'm sure its just some of the Sirius broadcasts
Which is of great benefit to those of us who no longer waste their
money on Sirius....
Bill
I don't think it is a waste of money. When I travel and rent a car I
always try and get Sirius/XM service.
Do you think it is overpriced, the programming selection is poor,
and/or the audio quality is not good enough?
Steve
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker. There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in. Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
wkasimer
2013-01-30 20:55:20 UTC
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker.  There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in.  Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
No. You'll grow tired of listening to the same opera broadcasts over
and over, and the rest of the classical music on Sirius is Classical
Lite.

Bill
2013-01-30 21:22:19 UTC
In article
Post by wkasimer
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker.  There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in.  Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
No. You'll grow tired of listening to the same opera broadcasts over
and over, and the rest of the classical music on Sirius is Classical
Lite.
Speak of the devil. I just found out, for the next two weeks, you can
listen to SiriusXM for free. Just turn on your car radio. If you
haven't got a car radio that does SiriusXM, you can listen on line.
You'll at least be able to decide if you want it:

http://www.siriusxm.com/listen6

-Owen
i***@gmail.com
I guess it depends how quickly you get bored -the Sirius library has almost 500 non-recent performances (before 1990) it uses for its historic broadcasts. I would think it would take awhile to get through them. I think its a bargain esp. for those who don't already have a lot of these older performances (and even if they do, often the remastered sound is better) Wagner fan
Steve de Mena
2013-02-01 07:51:14 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker. There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in. Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
No. You'll grow tired of listening to the same opera broadcasts over
and over, and the rest of the classical music on Sirius is Classical
Lite.
Bill
They have a light (pops) classical channel and a heavier channel.

Steve
2013-02-01 13:34:10 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker. There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in. Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
No. You'll grow tired of listening to the same opera broadcasts over
and over, and the rest of the classical music on Sirius is Classical
Lite.
Bill
They have a light (pops) classical channel and a heavier channel.
Even the heavy channel has little heft.

-Owen
Steve de Mena
2013-02-01 20:56:12 UTC
Post by O
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker. There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in. Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
No. You'll grow tired of listening to the same opera broadcasts over
and over, and the rest of the classical music on Sirius is Classical
Lite.
Bill
They have a light (pops) classical channel and a heavier channel.
Even the heavy channel has little heft.
-Owen
I turned it on ("Symphony Hall") a half hour ago and the last 3 pieces
played were:

Sammartini - Symphony No.23
Miklos Rozsa - Tri Partita for Orchestra [does not sound like film music]
Beethoven - String Quartet Op.135 (Juiliard Quartet)

Steve
2013-02-03 04:18:29 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by O
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
Maybe they're getting better. Whenever I've turned it on, it was
Mozart and single movements. I must admit I didn't listen very much
after a couple of attempts.

-Owen
Dana John Hill
2013-01-30 22:54:51 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by wagnerfan
I'm sure its just some of the Sirius broadcasts
Which is of great benefit to those of us who no longer waste their
money on Sirius....
Bill
I don't think it is a waste of money. When I travel and rent a car I
always try and get Sirius/XM service.
Do you think it is overpriced, the programming selection is poor,
and/or the audio quality is not good enough?
Steve
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker. There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in. Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
Like Steve, I have found Sirius/XM to be a benefit on long car trips. I
wouldn't get much benefit in town, since it never takes me more than fifteen
minutes to get anywhere. But when you're driving over two hundred miles of
boring Interstate 95 in South Carolina, it's a blessing.

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida
Steve de Mena
2013-02-01 07:50:38 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by wagnerfan
I'm sure its just some of the Sirius broadcasts
Which is of great benefit to those of us who no longer waste their
money on Sirius....
Bill
I don't think it is a waste of money. When I travel and rent a car I
always try and get Sirius/XM service.
Do you think it is overpriced, the programming selection is poor,
and/or the audio quality is not good enough?
Steve
I'm shopping for a car to replace my clunker. There's a Ford Taurus I'm
going to look at which has a satellite radio receiver built in. Since I
rarely listen to the radio any more, and would probably only listen to
classical music, historical Met broadcasts, and maybe Leo Laporte's "The
Tech Guy," do you think it would be worth my while to keep the radio and
subscribe to the service?
I'd try the 30 day free internet trial and listen at home to see if
you like the programming and selection of channels. I have been
working at home now for 4-5 years so do little commuting. And I found
myself spending a lot of that time listening to podcasts versus
satellite radio. The audio quality sounded better in 2004 when I first
became a subscriber - as they expanded channels I think the quality
suffered as they squeezed more into a finite space (like cable TV is
doing with HD channels).

I've liked their classical programming, though I should mention a good
friend is the classical program director and was one of my "proteges"
some 20 years ago.

Steve
Mark S
2013-02-01 15:11:58 UTC
I've never been a fan of radio.

The reason for that is that I don't like the box-of-chocolates method
of picking music to listen to. I prefer making my own choices. Loading
up the CD changer in the car with music that reflects my listening
mood at the times works better for me than allowing a disc jockey to
pick my music.
Kip Williams
2013-02-01 15:37:44 UTC
Post by Mark S
I've never been a fan of radio.
The reason for that is that I don't like the box-of-chocolates method
of picking music to listen to. I prefer making my own choices. Loading
up the CD changer in the car with music that reflects my listening
mood at the times works better for me than allowing a disc jockey to
pick my music.
I'm that way too, but there have been times when the only way I'd hear
things that were new to me were to take my chances on an announcer's
play list. I really miss the WHRO request show, especially since the
announcers pretty much quit accepting requests for "Evening Bells."

Kip W
Mark S
2013-02-01 17:02:47 UTC
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
I've never been a fan of radio.
The reason for that is that I don't like the box-of-chocolates method
of picking music to listen to. I prefer making my own choices. Loading
up the CD changer in the car with music that reflects my listening
mood at the times works better for me than allowing a disc jockey to
pick my music.
I'm that way too, but there have been times when the only way I'd hear
things that were new to me were to take my chances on an announcer's
play list. I really miss the WHRO request show, especially since the
announcers pretty much quit accepting requests for "Evening Bells."
Kip W
The other problem I have with radio is the interference. It drives me
nuts. I can't recall ever listening to classical FM that wasn't
compromised by those squirrely noises that afflict radio.
Kip Williams
2013-02-01 19:14:39 UTC
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
I've never been a fan of radio.
The reason for that is that I don't like the box-of-chocolates method
of picking music to listen to. I prefer making my own choices. Loading
up the CD changer in the car with music that reflects my listening
mood at the times works better for me than allowing a disc jockey to
pick my music.
I'm that way too, but there have been times when the only way I'd hear
things that were new to me were to take my chances on an announcer's
play list. I really miss the WHRO request show, especially since the
announcers pretty much quit accepting requests for "Evening Bells."
The other problem I have with radio is the interference. It drives me
nuts. I can't recall ever listening to classical FM that wasn't
compromised by those squirrely noises that afflict radio.
For a while, I had that problem with my iPod as well. In order to play
it through the car sound system, I have been using some device (Belkin,
I think, made it) that plugs into the lighter socket (do not put a
lighter there, kids!) and holds the unit while sending the signal to the
radio. Finding a frequency that doesn't make squirrely noises is a
challenge and a half. Lucky for me, the used Element we bought a while
back lets me plug it right into the audio.

Kip W
2013-02-04 16:14:48 UTC
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
[...]
In almost all cases, you want to directly connect that iPod/iPhone/iPad
into your car stereo with some form of wire, either the 30 pin iPod
connection or the more ubiquitous 8mm audio plug. The FM band is way
too crowded to find local empty frequencies, particularly when you're
traveling any distance. Avoid bluetooth transmission, too. Although
the connection will be better, bluetooth's bandwidth necessarily
requires more compression, and not as good sound.

Some cars have aftermarket kits that allow you to wire in your iDevice
directly into your car stereo. Subaru owners have such a kit
available, which I used on my wife's car. I hacked into my Kia's radio
(luckily they provided a pinout diagram of one of the plugs, and it
showed me where the audio lines were).

-Owen
Kip Williams
2013-02-04 19:21:39 UTC
Post by O
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
[...]
I have the luxury of 8mm audio plug when I'm driving the Element. When
I'm stuck with the Civic, I either have to use the FM transceiver or
play audio CDs or the radio. I've made four CDs for the short trips I
usually take, containing various short bits I like enough to hear
repeatedly. Even with that, the sound system is fairly shot. The front
speakers are so bad I've set the fader to use the back seat ones, and
now I'm seeing that they're not all that good either. Fortunately, any
time we do a long trip by car, we use the Element.

Kip W
wkasimer
2013-02-04 19:36:08 UTC
Post by O
In almost all cases, you want to directly connect that iPod/iPhone/iPad
into your car stereo with some form of wire, either the 30 pin iPod
connection or the more ubiquitous 8mm audio plug.
I bought my car back in 2004, and skimped a bit on the connectivity
options. Always a bad idea. A few months ago, despite the fact that
I've got 140K miles on it, I replaced the head unit just so that I
could play music from my iPhone or iPad, and listen to stations via
the TuneIn and iHeart Radio apps. Probably a little silly for a car
with that many miles, but it's running fine, and I expect to drive it
for at least another couple of years, until my son commandeers it.
Post by O
The FM band is way
too crowded to find local empty frequencies, particularly when you're
traveling any distance.
I imagine that those FM gadgets MIGHT work in the middle of nowhere,
where the station density is lower. But I tried a couple in the
greater Boston area, and they were utterly useless.
Post by O
Avoid bluetooth transmission, too.  Although
the connection will be better, bluetooth's bandwidth necessarily
requires more compression, and not as good sound.
I've used both Bluetooth and the wired connection, and don't hear a
huge difference - but it's in the car, with the standard speakers that
Infiniti used back in 2004.

Bill
Kip Williams
2013-02-05 13:44:10 UTC
Post by wkasimer
I imagine that those FM gadgets MIGHT work in the middle of nowhere,
where the station density is lower. But I tried a couple in the
greater Boston area, and they were utterly useless.
An employee at Radio Shack gave me some suggested frequencies to use,
and they did seem better than much of the rest of the dial. Placebo
effect, maybe. My problem wasn't with other stations interfering. The
transmitter was close enough that it came through. The problem was what
Mark calls 'squirrely noises,' which are not only irritating, but
inconstant. They come and go. You'll think you have it made, and then
they creep back in, or appear when big trucks go by.

Before that, I used a mock cassette that went in my car's player and
carried the signal to the play head. It required the stereo being turned
way up — far enough that the motor sent some kind of signal to it many
times a second, which went faster and louder when the engine was revved.
Intolerable.

I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.

Kip W
Mark S
2013-02-05 15:55:02 UTC
Post by Kip Williams
I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.
My wife's car has an input for an MP3 player. It's located in the
glove compartment, and the connecting wire is only about 3" long. I
guess that's a safety feature - the driver can't reach the MP3 player
to change tracks. It has to be done by the passenger.
2013-02-05 16:27:50 UTC
In article
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.
My wife's car has an input for an MP3 player. It's located in the
glove compartment, and the connecting wire is only about 3" long. I
guess that's a safety feature - the driver can't reach the MP3 player
to change tracks. It has to be done by the passenger.
More likely a cheap cable for the carmaker.

There are generally two types of connections, the analog audio in,
which is an 8mm stereo connection. You can buy an extenstion for it
here:

<http://www.rogersystems.com/3.5mm_3-ft_extension.php>

(I think they have the wrong photo, but the description is correct.)

Or you might have a USB connection, if it's a newer car, in which case:

<http://www.rogersystems.com/3-foot_USB_Extension.php>

No, I have no connection to rogerssystems, except the prices are cheap,
and I use them a lot.

-Owen
Mark S
Nothing comes cheap on a Benz.
t***@googlemail.com
2013-02-05 16:29:37 UTC
I found this list of contents online - the major addition (if true) would be one of the 1938 Tristans. Looks like a nice set, if accurate!
Tim

Der Fliegende Holländer (Dec. 30, 1950)
Reiner; Varnay, Svanholm, Hotter, Nilsson

Tannhäuser (Jan. 9, 1954)
Szell; Harshaw, Varnay, Vinay, London, Hines

Lohengrin (Jan 2, 1943)
Leinsdorf; Melchior, Thorborg

Rheingold (Jan,21, 1951)
Stiedry; Hotter, Hines

Die Walkure (Dec 6, 1941)
Leinsdorf; Melchior, Huehn

Siegfried (Jan. 30, 1937)
Bodanzky; Flagstad, Melchior, Schorr

Götterdämmerung (Jan. 11, 1936)
Bodanzky; Lawrence, Melchior, Schorr, Hofmann

Tristan und Isolde (1938)
Bodanzky; Flagstad, Melchior

Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg (Jan 10, 1953)
Reiner; Schoeffler, Hopf
wkasimer
2013-02-05 16:38:18 UTC
Post by t***@googlemail.com
Die Walkure (Dec 6, 1941)
Leinsdorf; Melchior, Huehn
A very famous performance - in addition to being the day before Pearl
Harbor, it was Varnay's stage debut, as a last-minute replacement as
Sieglinde. But the Wotan was Schorr, not Huehn.

Bill
Kip Williams
2013-02-05 18:08:22 UTC
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.
My wife's car has an input for an MP3 player. It's located in the
glove compartment, and the connecting wire is only about 3" long. I
guess that's a safety feature - the driver can't reach the MP3 player
to change tracks. It has to be done by the passenger.
The car comes with a little cord sticking into the glove box, rather
than a jack for a cord? Sounds like a weak link to me — the cheap little
part that goes bad, requiring expensive repair/replacement.

Kip W
Mark S
2013-02-05 21:11:07 UTC
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.
My wife's car has an input for an MP3 player. It's located in the
glove compartment, and the connecting wire is only about 3" long. I
guess that's a safety feature - the driver can't reach the MP3 player
to change tracks. It has to be done by the passenger.
The car comes with a little cord sticking into the glove box, rather
than a jack for a cord? Sounds like a weak link to me the cheap little
part that goes bad, requiring expensive repair/replacement.
Kip W
There's a jack that you plug the cord into. I suppose you could buy a
longer cord elsewhere.
Kip Williams
2013-02-05 23:20:59 UTC
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.
My wife's car has an input for an MP3 player. It's located in the
glove compartment, and the connecting wire is only about 3" long. I
guess that's a safety feature - the driver can't reach the MP3 player
to change tracks. It has to be done by the passenger.
The car comes with a little cord sticking into the glove box, rather
than a jack for a cord? Sounds like a weak link to me the cheap little
part that goes bad, requiring expensive repair/replacement.
There's a jack that you plug the cord into. I suppose you could buy a
longer cord elsewhere.
Much better. Probably nine or ten bucks at Radio Shack.

Kip W
Steve de Mena
2013-02-06 06:23:10 UTC
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.
My wife's car has an input for an MP3 player. It's located in the
glove compartment, and the connecting wire is only about 3" long. I
guess that's a safety feature - the driver can't reach the MP3 player
to change tracks. It has to be done by the passenger.
The car comes with a little cord sticking into the glove box, rather
than a jack for a cord? Sounds like a weak link to me the cheap little
part that goes bad, requiring expensive repair/replacement.
Kip W
There's a jack that you plug the cord into. I suppose you could buy a
longer cord elsewhere.
I didn't even get a cord for my $350. (2004 BMW)

Steve

Steve de Mena
2013-02-06 06:21:53 UTC
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
I wished for years that car radios had an input socket. Now we have one
that does. No flying car yet, but this is probably better anyway.
My wife's car has an input for an MP3 player. It's located in the
glove compartment, and the connecting wire is only about 3" long. I
guess that's a safety feature - the driver can't reach the MP3 player
to change tracks. It has to be done by the passenger.
I just have a jack in the glove compartment of my 2004 car. Cost me
$350 to have that Auxiliary input installed and at the time the dealer
didn't even know it was an option. I had to show him the order number.

Steve
Steve de Mena
2013-02-01 20:15:30 UTC
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
I've never been a fan of radio.
The reason for that is that I don't like the box-of-chocolates method
of picking music to listen to. I prefer making my own choices. Loading
up the CD changer in the car with music that reflects my listening
mood at the times works better for me than allowing a disc jockey to
pick my music.
I'm that way too, but there have been times when the only way I'd hear
things that were new to me were to take my chances on an announcer's
play list. I really miss the WHRO request show, especially since the
announcers pretty much quit accepting requests for "Evening Bells."
Kip W
The other problem I have with radio is the interference. It drives me
nuts. I can't recall ever listening to classical FM that wasn't
compromised by those squirrely noises that afflict radio.
Sirius/XM doesn't normally have multipath distortion, either it works
or there's silence. They supposedly have terrestrial antennas too to
cover certain areas but I've never heard any typical FM multipath
characteristics.

Steve
2013-02-03 04:16:55 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
[...]
While driving, I've heard occasional dropouts and stalls in the
reception.

-Owen
Steve de Mena
2013-02-04 07:43:01 UTC
Post by O
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by Mark S
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
[...]
That's what I said, no? Dropouts = "either it works or it doesn't".

Steve
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-02-03 16:45:06 UTC
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Mark S
I've never been a fan of radio.
The reason for that is that I don't like the box-of-chocolates method
of picking music to listen to. I prefer making my own choices. Loading
up the CD changer in the car with music that reflects my listening
mood at the times works better for me than allowing a disc jockey to
pick my music.
I'm that way too, but there have been times when the only way I'd hear
things that were new to me were to take my chances on an announcer's
play list. I really miss the WHRO request show, especially since the
announcers pretty much quit accepting requests for "Evening Bells."
I gave up on Dr. Demento* years ago, when I got effing sick and tired of
his "funny five" always including a piece of humorlessness which was titled
"Last Will and Temperament," but which was only a tedious string of
dialogue in which a group of heirs to an estate were all told that they
were to receive "a boot to the head." Over and over and over and over.
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-02-03 18:06:19 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I gave up on Dr. Demento* years ago
I forgot to annotate the asterisk:

* Barry Hansen, whose doctorate is in musicology, and who wrote one of his
papers on the operas of Alban Berg.
MiNe 109
2013-02-03 18:57:39 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I gave up on Dr. Demento* years ago
* Barry Hansen, whose doctorate is in musicology, and who wrote one of his
papers on the operas of Alban Berg.
More of a doctor than Dr Phil!

Stephen
Kip Williams
2013-02-03 20:42:24 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I gave up on Dr. Demento* years ago, when I got effing sick and tired of
his "funny five" always including a piece of humorlessness which was titled
"Last Will and Temperament," but which was only a tedious string of
dialogue in which a group of heirs to an estate were all told that they
were to receive "a boot to the head." Over and over and over and over.
I wearied of the flood of disk jockeys who thought that if Weird Al
Yankovic could do it, so could they, so they turned out hour after hour
of popular songs with the nouns replaced by the names of fish, or
something like that. And this drek edged out the real core of the show,
the antique novelties.

Yankovic made it look too easy to be funny. They couldn't see how much
art and craft goes into his work, even the parodies. He turns in the
occasional lemon, but as a rule, he's a mile above his imitators.

Kip W
2013-02-04 16:17:42 UTC
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
Yankovic is amazing in that his musical parodies don't just replace
lyrics, but he manages to embrace the original artist's musical style.

-Owen
Kip Williams
2013-02-04 19:24:36 UTC
Post by O
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
He and his band are very tight. This was driven home to me when I saw a
concert they did. They do some covers of pop tunes in a sped-up polka
style that reminds me of Spike Jones, in that they're fast and precise,
and so funny you don't notice how tough it must be to play. (Spike and
his band got together with one of the Dorseys one time to play around,
and sort of scared the other band when they played things double time
without breaking a sweat.)

Kip W
2013-02-04 22:45:55 UTC
Post by Kip Williams
Post by O
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
I saw him live a couple of times, and the breakneck speeds he plays at
are the breakneck speeds he really plays at. (Once was at an amusement
park where he rode the roller coast first -- you could see his long
hair sweeping out behind him.) I'm sure Spike had a big influence on
him in terms of musical precision (Spike was supposed to have been
pretty tough on his musicians, a la Toscanini). The "Hot Rocks Polka"
on his UHF soundtrack is amazing as it encompasses the Rolling Stones
entire musical career in a three minute polka.

-Owen
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-02-05 05:36:59 UTC
Post by O
Post by Kip Williams
Post by O
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
I saw "Weird Al" perform live once, at (as it happens) an amusement park in
Minnesota maybe thirty years ago. The highlight of his concert, for me, was
"One More Minute," which he performed in true Elvis style, caressing young
women in the audience with his scarf.
Kip Williams
2013-02-05 13:54:12 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by O
Post by Kip Williams
Post by O
Post by Kip Williams
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
Looking at what I listen to most, my favorites of his aren't the
parodies as much as some of his original songs (like "One More Minute").
"Christmas at Ground Zero," written years before Ground Zero came to
mean the World Trade Center, is the only song he wrote from anger, but
it's a sharply hilarious mash-up of schlock Christmas tunes and World
War Three. The video is a perfect blend of the kind of bland holiday
movies they used to show at my school, along with "duck and cover"
educational films, with some cheap monster movies for lagniappe.

"Dare to be Stupid" is the greatest Devo song ever. Mark Mothersbaugh of
Devo said "I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever
heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and, umm ...
I hate him for it, basically." The video, once again, adds materially to
my enjoyment of the song. There's a brief shot of Al and his band,
decked out in appropriate uniforms, looking resolutely in the same
direction, all with ice cream cones mashed to their foreheads.

The aforementioned polka sessions are wonderful in their own way.

Of his parodies, the best is "Fat." His video for that is an
affectionate, but devastating, spoof on Michael Jackson and his
pretensions to high drama. Great use of sound effects, too. Ho!

(I'll mention my favorite Devo video as well — "RU Experienced," a cover
of the Jimi Hendrix tune that deftly dissects the 1960s. I first saw it
in 1984, and I think it was the first time I'd seen morphing used in a
music video.)

Kip W
Oscar
2013-02-02 00:54:54 UTC
Hair Nation Channel 39 http://tiny.cc/ctsurw
Steve de Mena

Steve
wkasimer
2013-01-29 14:45:07 UTC
selection from this titles I think:http://www.metoperafamily.org/ondemand/catalog/search/results/index.a...
I'm not so sure about that. Flagstad and Schorr are on the cover, and
neither of them is represented on those on-demand offerings.

Bill
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-01-29 21:15:31 UTC
wkasimer <***@comcast.net> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:6f01f2ea-49ef-4ab9-96ee-65748335f799
selection from this titles I think:http://www.metoperafamily.org/ondemand
/catalog/search/results/index.a...
I'm not so sure about that. Flagstad and Schorr are on the cover, and
neither of them is represented on those on-demand offerings.
Perhaps that one is 30 March 1940.
i***@gmail.com
Both Flagstad and Schorr were both represented on Sirius rebroadcasts - Flagstad in the 37 Siegfried and Schorr on the 41 Walkure. Wagner Fan
Thornhill
2013-02-05 14:41:18 UTC
Post by Classica94
A set of 25CDs is announced for March : "Wagner at the MET" - Sony
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-MET-Legendary-Performances-Metropolita...
Probably some common performances with the famous Naxos publication ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Chorus-Orchestra-Metropolitan-Opera/dp...
Does anybody have more information about the exact content of the Sony Box ?
According to the translated product description at HMV, this box uses
the original master tapes (as opposed to an off-air recording):

"Used for the first time the original master regular that are stored
in archives and other Metropolitan Opera, re-mastered after adjustment
repair and polite, when the launch of this time, inspiring
masterpieces historic resurrection in the state of best you."

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Wagner_000000000019275/item_Wagner-at-the-MET-Legendary-Performances-from-the-Metropolitan-Opera-25CD-Limited_5341168
wkasimer
2013-02-05 15:13:30 UTC
Post by Thornhill
According to the translated product description at HMV, this box uses
Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered from Amazon UK; the price is pretty
reasonable.

Speaking of historic Wagner, there are two DG sets in the pipeline:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/great-wagner-voices-deutsche-grammophon-6cds.html

http://www.mdt.co.uk/great-wagner-conductors-deutsche-grammophon-4cds.html

Not much on the vocal set that I don't already have on CD, other than
a couple of the Jess Thomas selections. I probably don't have most of
the contents of the conductors set, but I'm not sure that I really
need it.

Bill