Blocking a user
John Hood
2018-08-16 23:37:31 UTC
I use Thunderbird for this newsgroup. Does anyone know if it has the
ability to block users? It didn't seem obvious when I tried it.

Cheers,

JH

---
graham
2018-08-17 01:20:06 UTC
On 2018-08-16 5:37 PM, John Hood wrote:
> I use Thunderbird for this newsgroup. Does anyone know if it has the
> ability to block users? It didn't seem obvious when I tried it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> JH
>
> ---

Right click on the "From" in the message header and go to "Create filter
from".
It's straightforward from there.
Graham
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 01:46:31 UTC
On 8/16/2018 9:20 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-08-16 5:37 PM, John Hood wrote:
>> I use Thunderbird for this newsgroup. Does anyone know if it has the
>> ability to block users? It didn't seem obvious when I tried it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> JH
>>
>> ---
>>
> Right click on the "From" in the message header and go to "Create filter
> from".
> It's straightforward from there.
> Graham

The problem is that others will respond to the person whose posts you
don't want to see, so you will see them anyway. It really doesn't work,
especially if the offending posts generate a lot of responses such as,
well, you know.
graham
2018-08-17 02:32:46 UTC
On 2018-08-16 7:46 PM, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 8/16/2018 9:20 PM, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-08-16 5:37 PM, John Hood wrote:
>>> I use Thunderbird for this newsgroup. Does anyone know if it has the
>>> ability to block users? It didn't seem obvious when I tried it.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> JH
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>> Right click on the "From" in the message header and go to "Create
>> filter from".
>> It's straightforward from there.
>> Graham
>
> The problem is that others will respond to the person whose posts you
> don't want to see, so you will see them anyway.  It really doesn't work,
> especially if the offending posts generate a lot of responses such as,
> well, you know.

I'm afraid there's no escaping that. I'm surprised that others here
don't block the quotebot.
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 03:34:28 UTC
On 8/16/2018 10:32 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-08-16 7:46 PM, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> Right click on the "From" in the message header and go to "Create
>>> filter from".
>>> It's straightforward from there.
>>> Graham
>>
>> The problem is that others will respond to the person whose posts you
>> don't want to see, so you will see them anyway.  It really doesn't
>> work, especially if the offending posts generate a lot of responses
>> such as, well, you know.
>
> I'm afraid there's no escaping that. I'm surprised that others here
> don't block the quotebot.

You're second sentence is inconsistent with the first. One doesn't
bother to block because "there's no escaping that." If all the most
frequent posters agreed to block him and did it together, that would
reduce the noise level. Though it must be said that some of the threads
he dredges up from the past lead to interesting discussions.\
John Hood
2018-08-17 23:48:34 UTC
On 17/08/2018 9:20 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-08-16 5:37 PM, John Hood wrote:
>> I use Thunderbird for this newsgroup. Does anyone know if it has the
>> ability to block users? It didn't seem obvious when I tried it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> JH
>>
>> ---
>>
> Right click on the "From" in the message header and go to "Create filter
> from".
> It's straightforward from there.
> Graham

Thanks,