WAYLTL - August
2017-08-03 23:36:59 UTC
Think I mentioned before, but can't find, in any event highly recommend after a re-hear tonight , JPC cd :

Bartok , Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion
Stravinsky , Two Piano Concerto

http://tinyurl.com/y8bvrj2t
Bozo
2017-08-04 00:42:23 UTC
Michael Tippett, Piano Sonata # 1 , the Ogden EMI Classics cd :

number_six
2017-08-14 00:02:08 UTC
Ralph Kirkpatrick 1950s Bach recordings on Archiv
First time I heard the English Suites it was this version.

In the famous prelude he builds, and builds, and when the time comes to let go the energy potential in the structure that's been created, he does so to great effect.

Rita Streich singt unvergangliche Melodien (DG)
Fruhlingstimme, arias from Rusalka, Dinorah, etc. Heaven.

Ian Widgery - Shanghai Divas Redefined (Pathe)
Bai Guang's original version of Dang Zhe Ni Hui Lai is the best but I enjoyed these chill remixes
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-08-14 20:23:35 UTC
Bartok , Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion
Stravinsky , Two Piano Concerto
http://tinyurl.com/y8bvrj2t
Tristan und Isolde/Karajan, Modl, Vinay/1952 not the one on the Orfeo label.
Great performance marred by too much bass on this edition. Would the Orfeo
edition be better, given the bass response problem?
Andy Evans
2017-08-14 20:58:50 UTC
Parsifal, Karajan. Sometimes Solti...

On an Overgrown Path, Janacek. Trip to Prague coming up....
Oscar
2017-08-14 21:02:50 UTC
Laus mea Dominus: Oldest Gregorian Compositions from Mass, Vespers and Compline

Consortium Vocale Oslo / Alexander M. Schweitzer

Gaudeamus CD GAU 304 ℗ © 2002.
Recorded at Gamle Aker Kirke, Oslo, Norway, January 2000.
Producer: Morten Lindberg.
Edited by Lindberg Lyd AS.
Recording engineer: Hans Peter L'Orange [great name!].
Cover: Facsimile of a detail from p.73 of Codex 121 of the Stiftsbibliothek Einsiedeln (Msc. 1151), © 1991 Acta humaniora, VCH Verlagsgesellschaft, Weinheim, Germany. The detail shows the opening of the Introit Suscepimus Deus.
Total time = 59.54.
ASV Ltd.
LONDON, England.
http://www.sanctuaryclassics.com

Music
The pieces performed here number among the most ancient and authentic examples of their respective genres. They represent a selection of Gregorian compositions which enable an overview of the repertoire in the variety of its forms. Among the most important criteria for selection was the reproduction of every available mode, including the archaic modes. (The classification by mode of each piece in the text section of this booklet is indicated in brackets following the title of the piece.) Another important criterion was that the majority of the different musical-liturgical genres of the Gregorian repertoire be represented: from simple recitatives, simple psalmody, canticles and hymns of the Divine Office to the syllabic chants of the Ordinary of the Mass, and the rich and elaborate melismatic chants of Mass Propers.

Sent from my iPhone
wkasimer
2017-08-14 21:24:55 UTC
I don't remember the bass response specifically, but the Orfeo issue sounded substantially better than the Myto or Opera d'Oro releases.
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-08-14 23:33:18 UTC
The T & I edition I have is a product of 'intensemedia.de' that some reviews on amazon stated this was in better sound than the Orfeo
Bozo
2017-08-17 23:59:48 UTC
Roger Muraro playing the Ravel Left-Hand PC at the Finals of the 1986 Tchaikovsky Competition ( audio only ) ,Melodiya:

Muraro , Sinaisky perhaps " Russianized " the work a bit for their audience, but still remains for me one of the most impressive readings of the work I've heard ; and live , under this pressure, Mon Dieu ! My first hearing since my 1986-87 memories, wow.

I think all had to play the Tchaikovsky # 1 ; winner Barry Douglas also played the Brahms D minor ; 2nd Natalia Trull the Prokofieff # 3 ; Muraro a very gutsy choice with the Ravel ( before an audience still remembering 1812 (?) )
Bozo
2017-08-18 00:36:33 UTC
More Muraro, from the 1986 winners’ concert ; thanks, Tony :

Messiaen, Vingt regards - Le baiser de l'enfant-Jésus (The kiss of the infant Jesus)
Chopin , Nocturne no. 20 in C-sharp minor, op. posth.
Ravel , Pavane pour une infante défunte

Extraordinary playing. The audience chases off the Comp.official after the Chopin.

The Rachmaninoff Six Moments Musicaux,Op.16, from Muraro’s all -Rach cd I’ve recommended here before :

Lawrence Chalmers
2017-08-18 15:41:35 UTC
Bartok , Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion
Stravinsky , Two Piano Concerto
http://tinyurl.com/y8bvrj2t
Bach Suites for Cello 1-6 by Andre Navarra, a favorite cellist of mine. Recorded in the 70's the quality of sound and playing is quite good. I've listened to Rostropovich/emi and was either 'not ready' or bored. If memory serves, the Rostropovich seemed more subdued than Navarra. But while listening to Navarra a question occurred about the pieces themselves which
seemed 'loud' and lacking some quieter moments. I'll have to some day check out Starker and Rostropovich. Another version I have is by Queyras on Harmonia Mundi. I'll revisit that one too. Any opinions are most welcome.
Thanks very much.
wkasimer
2017-08-18 15:58:07 UTC
The suites themselves are not inherently loud, although some cellists lacking imagination fail to employ adequate dynamic variety. I think that you'll prefer Queyras (and I'd recommend one of Wispelewey's last two recordings).
Bozo
2017-08-18 19:44:58 UTC
I have only the Mercury "Living Prescence" cd set of all 6 Suites with Starker, which I enjoy greatly, but I believe some feel he is not nuanced enough. Set also has the (?) 2 Bach Cello Sonatas, with Gyorgy Sebok,pianist.
Bozo
2017-08-19 02:06:23 UTC
Some of my fav solo piano works of Karol Szymanowski , from Martin Roscoe’s Naxos cd’s :

Valse Romantique (1925 ) :

2 Mazurkas, Op.62 :

Prelude,Op.1, No.7 :

Bozo
2017-08-23 22:09:54 UTC
Constance Keene plays Hummel's 5th Piano Sonata :

Why more youngsters don't play this work is a mystery, instead of feeling they have to play Opa.106-111 or D.958-960 or the Liszt B minor or Prok 7 .
Bozo
2017-08-23 22:38:46 UTC
Mark Bebbington's SOMM cd of William Hurlstone's Piano Sonata ( mentioned here before ) :

Oscar
2017-08-24 01:32:49 UTC
I like those Mark Bebbington discs on Somm.

Listening in the car to Ashkenazy's Rachmaninoff Moments musicaux, Morceau de fantasie, Fragments, Prelude (Op. posth.), and two transcriptions on Decca SACD (48kHz/24-bit). Recorded at Potton Hall, Suffolk, in 2002 & 2004. Haven't listened to this one in ages. Good, if not great.

Also found Scherchen's mono Bach Musical Offering, BWV 1079, with 9 soloists, and a Trio Sonata for filler on Japan Westminster [MVCW-18015]. SEALED copy from 1998, 20-bit remastered. Woot!! First appearance on CD??
Bozo
2017-08-24 02:35:07 UTC
Try also Roger Muraro's Rachmaninoff cd, 2nd Sonata, Moments Musicaux Op.16, and " Corelli " Variations.
Bozo
2017-08-27 23:01:04 UTC
Would that the French youngsters present these occasionally, rather than yet another Ravel G or Saint-Saens # 2 :

The wonderful Marylene Dosse,pianist, Vox recordings :

Jules Massenet’s Piano Concerto, 2nd mov.:

Edouard Lalo’s Piano Concerto, 1st mov. :

The Massenet , after an unremarkable opening mov., proceeds with great slow and final movs.; the Lalo a great opening mov. , if unremarkable thereafter ; but a breath of fresh piano is helpful at times. ( Even great cabernet loses its impact if consumed too often.)
Al Eisner
2017-08-28 21:39:32 UTC
On my car radio this morning: the second and third movements of Mozart's
Sinfonia Concertante, in a 1988 EMI recording by Augustin Dumay and Gerard
Caussé, with Emmanuel Krivine (a conductor I've not followed) and the
Sinfonia Varsovia (an ensemble I hadn't heard of). This seemed rather
impressive to me: especially a deep second movement, plus an energetic
third, with fine solo playing. My long-time favorite has been Durian/
Skernick with Szell/Cleveland, but this one seems well worth pursuing.
I've not heard Dumay's later (DG) recording.

I since found it was favorable discussed in rmcr by Simon and others (as
part of an inexpensive multi-CD Dumay Mozart set); and that a single
CD (with two Rondos for violin and orchestra and a duo for violin and
viola) is currently at Berkshire, and a single CD coupled with one or more
Mozart VC's is at Amazon, both inexpensive. I'm frankly a bit confused
by these multiple EMI releases....
2017-08-29 02:12:07 UTC
I'd go for the 3-CD set if you can find a cheap copy (there are two on Amazon @ca. $10 as I write: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000009MMW/). The highlights are the excellent K. 364 that you mention and the K. 563 played by Dumay, Caussé, and Hoffman. I have some Sinfonia Varsovia / Krivine recordings of Mozart symphonies on Denon that I like very much for both the performances and the recorded sound.

2017-08-29 04:07:06 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
[...]
Thanks for the link. I hadn't manage to find it in my earlier Amazon search,
not an uncommon phenomenon with their rather sensitive search engine. :)
2017-08-29 18:11:17 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Al Eisner
[...]
AC
Thanks for the link. I hadn't manage to find it in my earlier Amazon search,
not an uncommon phenomenon with their rather sensitive search engine. :)
I went ahead and ordered one of those $10 used sets in "Good" condition.
(There is also a "Very Good" listed at $30.) Of the two suppliers, I chose
the one with the higher satisfaction rating; the other one said its sets
were "preloved", which didn't sound very attractive. :)

Curiously, there are two reviews at Amazon, posted by the same person
ten years apart. The first confuses the issue with Dumay's later DG
releases (Simon actually posted a comment to that effect); the second
one confuses Dumay with another violinist. But I trust you guys here
much more than Amazon reviewers anyway. :)

Thanks again, Alan.
2017-08-29 16:01:12 UTC
Are the MLP SACDs of the Starker any better than the CDs? I have read some opinions that the pitch on the CDs is off, but that the pitch is corrected on the SACDs.
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-08-28 21:15:19 UTC
Bartok , Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion
Stravinsky , Two Piano Concerto
http://tinyurl.com/y8bvrj2t
Cd one of three of a work by Eliane Radigue called "Tragedie de la Mort.' I enjoy occasional forays into electronic music. There's a lot to be found on YT but is best enjoyed on a real sound system.