Tannhauser from Munich today, Sunday July 9, 2017
Add Reply
jeffc
2017-07-09 06:07:44 UTC
https://www.staatsoper.de/infos-service/aktuelles/meldung/news/oper-fuer-alle-eroeffnungskonzert-am-24-juni.html?no_cache=1

The performance is shown live on a big screen on the front
of the National Theatre -- and the telecast will begin at 9:45PM (GMT+2/CEST)
on Arte or via

https://www.staatsoper.de/tv.html?no_cache=1

The Tannhauser is Klaus Florian Vogt -- a much lighter
voice than one usually hears. And the conductor, Kirill Petrenko
conducts with a much lighter touch as well and considerable subtlety -- there are moments that sound like belcanto.

Well worth hearing. As for the production, Munich likes
to be provocative -- after all, Munchiners have seen a lot of
Wagner over the decades:

Premieres --

10 June 1865, Tristan and Isolde by Richard Wagner
21 June 1868, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg by Richard Wagner
22 September 1869, Das Rheingold by Richard Wagner
26 June 1870, Die Walküre by Richard Wagner
29 June 1888, Die Feen by Richard Wagner

I understand there are 30 half-naked Amazons in the first scene!
Herman
2017-07-09 07:22:09 UTC
well, that's what the word Amazone means. Hal;f-clad.
m***@gmail.com
When they are fully naked, call me
2017-07-10 11:56:24 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by jeffc
[...]
Were they naked on the port or starboard side?

????
s***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 20:41:41 UTC
Here is an answer to Owen's question.

The Amazons were topless. They were beautiful, if not particularly sexy. I wondered what the dandies of the Jockey Club and Baudelaire would have thought. Besides playing with their hair as if in a shampoo commercial, the Amazons spent most of the long orchestral opening aiming their bows and shooting their arrows at a disc, which showed an eye. Excellent aim. In fact, the Regietheater production was full of bows and arrows. Hermann and Wolfram take aim, but do not shoot Tannhäuser. When he rejoins the troubadour band, each member smears his own face with blood. Elisabeth sticks an arrow into Tannhäuser towards the end of the second act. At times her dress seems transparent, so one gets a stylized sense of Anja Harteros' nipples and pubic hair.

There were all sorts of symbolic chazerei in this Munich Tannhäuser. Venus is a big girl (Elena Pankratova, who sang well), but she was placed in a small mountain of melting flesh made up of bodies in tones of fat. So much for lust and a sense of sin. Bodies of this stuff are left around the stage and lumps decompose in the third act to represent the deaths of Tannhäuser and Elisabeth. (The body stocking crew gets a curtain call.) I have a certain tolerance for Regietheater. One of the last theses I advised was on recent Ring cycles on DVD. (It is on line, but in Portuguese.) My student had me sit through at least seven of varying quality, so I have developed immunity. This Tannhäuser from Munich could have been worse, and for 2017 it was well sung. The problem with Regietheater is that it is distracting. I have very little sense of what Kirill Petrenko was doing with his orchestra. (If it were bad, I would have noticed.) Unfortunately the opera no longer seems to be on line, but there is a clip on Youtube:

Eric, longtime lurker
Ricardo Jimenez
2017-07-10 22:48:09 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
http://youtu.be/0D5hByvNlvc
Eric, longtime lurker
That excerpt didn't include the Entry of the Guests. What kind of
silliness did the director do there? The Met, as least up to last
year, has been doing Otto Schenk's beautiful 1977 production, and
getting good reviews and enthusiastic audiences!
s***@gmail.com
2017-07-11 00:43:13 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
That excerpt didn't include the Entry of the Guests. What kind of
silliness did the director do there? The Met, as least up to last
year, has been doing Otto Schenk's beautiful 1977 production, and
getting good reviews and enthusiastic audiences!
If memory serves me, one does get to see part of the Entry of the Guests during the clip (1:20 to 1:35), but the music that accompanies the scene is Dich, teure Halle, grüß ich wieder. Those men who are lying down at 1:35 in the clip are the contestants in the song contest. An androgynous, long-haired blond will tap Walter and Wolfram when it is time to get up and sing.

The most of guests were dressed appropriately for a Tannhäuser, but the flesh colored bodysuit crowd was there and lots of women in white. The set for Act Two was mostly a gauze curtain. Then again, I am describing an opera I saw on a iPod mounted on a stationary bicycle, the sound streamed to Bluetooth speakers. It is really not the best way to stream an opera, but I wanted to get some exercise. I could have hooked up my laptop to the home theater, but that would have taken time and the opera had already begun.