Debussy - Pelleas and Melisande
2018-07-16 23:12:25 UTC
I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?
Raymond Hall
2018-07-17 00:38:54 UTC
http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html

The above link is very instructive. Added to the usual suspects, Desormiere, Abbado, HvK, Casadeus, is a thumbs up for Ansermet.

2018-07-17 03:47:52 UTC

Really like Ansermets second in stupendous stereo
Lawrence Kart
2018-07-17 03:57:18 UTC

I agree.
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 18:42:39 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 5:47:54 PM UTC-10, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:38:56 PM UTC-4, Raymond Hall wrote:
> > http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html
> >
> > The above link is very instructive. Added to the usual suspects, Desormiere, Abbado, HvK, Casadeus, is a thumbs up for Ansermet.
> >
> > Ray Hall, Taree
>
> Really like Ansermets second in stupendous stereo

According to the following:

- For me, the recording of Pelléas that comes closest to realizing Debussy’s ideal came from Ernest Ansermet and his Orchestre de la Suisse Romande in their 1964 remake with Erna Spoorenberg (Mélisande), Camille Maurane (Pelléas), George London (Golaud), Guus Hoekman (Arkel) and Josephine Veasey (Geneviève) (Decca). Like Debussy, Ansermet strove in all his work for clarity, efficiency, precision and proportion, and never more so than here. In his notes to this set he cited as his challenge “bringing out the continuity of the melos, scattered between the instruments and the voices, and giving the vocal line its true value without preventing it from being bathed in the orchestral harmony that clarifies its meaning.” Like the pioneering 1941 venture a generation before, Ansermet’s forces live and breathe the score, but with a difference – the recording is so detailed as to add a further layer of meaning to enhance Debussy’s art. Ernest Ansermet conducts Pelleas et Melisande (London LP set cover) The soundstage is thoroughly convincing, with voices slightly moving and receding with the action, and atmospheric resonance reflecting the settings and moods – the reverberant sound of the grotto where Golaud threatens Pelléas is truly terrifying without being overdone. Not only are the instrumental textures and their interplay fully displayed, but the timbres of the voices add complexity to the characters, tracing Mélisande’s transformation from scared waif to viable lover and then reverting to a wimpering cipher on her deathbed. While clearly respecting the French theatrical tradition of diffident lyrical expression, the vocal acting runs the gamut from the wrenching poignancy of Mélisande quietly sobbing “Je ne suis pas heureuse” (“I am not happy”) and piteously dissembling as she tries to explain the loss of her heirloom ring, to Golaud’s frighteningly intense demented tirade (abetted by snarling brass) and Pelleas's ardent profession of love. (The only weak link in the cast is an infantile-sounding Yniold, admittedly a difficult and unrewarding role.) The orchestral playing is superb, beautiful without lapsing into affectation, and Ansermet leads it all with sustained focus on presenting the external content while enabling us to explore its implications, keeping a firm grip on the emotional vicissitudes, ideally balancing stylized artistry and underlying emotion, and selecting tempos so “right” that the whole thing seems to transcend time and place to dwell in a universe that is remote yet infused with our most basic human feelings.

Ansermet’s recording is a remarkable achievement. Perhaps, then, he should have the last word: “[Pelléas] realizes at once that miracle which the musical theatre has always tried to produce as the highest ideal: the perfect identification of a musical essence with its poetic substance.”

http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html
Andy Evans
2018-07-17 06:41:29 UTC

Thanks Ray - that's very useful. I have Abbado on CD and I'm starting to see that there's a lot more in this opera than I'm getting out right now.
Andy Evans
2018-07-17 07:06:30 UTC
Here's what's on YT
OSR/Ansermet mono w. Danco
OSR/Ansermet w. Spoorenberg+London 1964s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HrqwodAfo&t=2877s&frags=pl%2Cwn
Vienna/de Billy – video w. Dessay+Naouri nice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqsVHY5jTk&frags=pl%2Cwn
VPO/Abbado - score https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7h0BLCBQk&t=185s&frags=pl%2Cwn
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhorceostU&frags=pl%2Cwn
ORTF/Inghelbrecht – 1962 w. Danco+Maurane live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mdxcmYfQ8M&frags=pl%2Cwn
Haitink live w. Von Otter+Holzmair
Casdesus, Naxos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBsybemqTM&list=PL9_kfnyCNPITw9qhmjPeoXQjx4sL8n0eC
RAI/Karajan 1954 mono w. Schwarzkopf+Haefliger
VS Opera/Karajan 1962 w. Gueden+Waechter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex3onUVOUpA&frags=pl%2Cwn
Karajan 1978 w/ von Stade, Van Dam
ROH/Boulez w. Soderstrom
Lamoureux/Fournet mono w. Gorr+Maurane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLcqiUdHCHM&frags=pl%2Cwn
Lyon/Baudo 1978
Montreal/Dutoit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XQc00dcas&frags=pl%2Cwn
Opera de Leon/Gardiner – video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH-GMMj0N0Q&frags=pl%2Cwn
Welsh Nat Opera/Boulez – video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHSKXZpZWCk&frags=pl%2Cwn
LSO/Rattle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-wq6_y7OJI&frags=pl%2Cwn
LPO/Andrew Davis – video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuBTeIGSFXw&frags=pl%2Cwn
Paris Conservatoire/Desormiere 1941 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYHO0fek_c4&frags=pl%2Cwn
Monte Carlo/Jordan
Cluytens - mono w. de Los Angeles, Souzey
Bavarian RO/Kubelik w.Donath+F-D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAaCAj_eV4A&frags=pl%2Cwn
Act II – Nice but who?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMVyVmBasU&list=RDAoMVyVmBasU&t=19
g***@gmail.com
2018-07-17 16:44:14 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 2:38:56 PM UTC-10, Raymond Hall wrote:
> http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html
>
> The above link is very instructive. Added to the usual suspects, Desormiere, Abbado, HvK, Casadeus, is a thumbs up for Ansermet.
>
> Ray Hall, Taree

This Wikipedia discography may also be of interest. It includes a 1934 MET broadcast w/Bori and Johnson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pell%C3%A9as_et_M%C3%A9lisande_discography
g***@gmail.com
2018-07-17 23:57:24 UTC

Now that I think of it, when one considers the vastness of the MET's interior, is it possible for a baryton-martin Pelleas to be heard there?
g***@gmail.com
2018-07-17 16:41:09 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 1:12:28 PM UTC-10, Andy Evans wrote:
> I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?

Has the 1945 MET performance w/Singher and Sayao already been mentioned?:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=662&ei=sBtOW9_GN6aG0wKvwa3oBQ&q=sayao+pelleas&oq=sayao+pelleas&gs_l=img.3...1228.3271.0.3392.14.8.0.6.0.0.194.989.0j7.7.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.6.866.0..0j35i39k1j0i10k1j0i5i30k1j0i30k1.0.w-eKoEb8u48#imgrc=Jl5YbKuoCQ3dlM:
wkasimer
2018-07-17 16:54:08 UTC

It has now....
Andy Evans
2018-07-17 20:23:52 UTC
Are there any fans of Monte Carlo/Jordan 1979 w. Yakar+Huttenlocher+Tappy here? Good stereo recording. Sounds great to my ears. That's been getting the most air time here together with Ansermet mono (can't take London) and Inghelbrecht.
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 18:19:48 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 1:12:28 PM UTC-10, Andy Evans wrote:
> I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?

Although Teyte never recorded the role, the following selections are on THE EXQUISITE MAGGIE TEYTE:

- Voici Ce Qu'il Ecrite,

- Tu Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
p***@classicalnotes.net
2018-08-18 01:23:24 UTC

Curiously, though, these selections that Teyte recorded decades later were, respectively, Genevieve's recitative from Act I, Scene 2 and both roles of a dialogue from Act IV, Scene 4 dominated by Pelleas. Thus they provide only indirect clues as to her Melisande interpretation that she had prepared extensively with Debussy himself.
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-20 07:17:36 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 1:12:28 PM UTC-10, Andy Evans wrote:
> I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?

Is this a MET performance?:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=2ml6W8beFdP10wKw27HwDg&q=theodor+uppman+&oq=theodor+uppman+&gs_l=img.3..0i30k1j0i24k1.11166.16225.0.16535.13.12.0.0.0.0.280.1367.0j2j4.6.0....0...1c.1.64.img..9.3.724...0i5i30k1j0i7i30k1.0.nqR9_25ccQk#imgrc=aKajZOANowuJxM:
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-20 07:26:04 UTC

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=UGt6W5e-I4G48APP6ruYCw&q=pelleas+angeles&oq=pelleas+angeles&gs_l=img.3...173513.182531.0.182698.23.18.0.0.0.0.367.2182.0j1j4j3.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..15.6.1757.0..0j0i67k1j0i30k1.0.2abf9SWZlAE#imgrc=uAdCHvxIG0kcGM: