Debussy - Pelleas and Melisande
Andy Evans
2018-07-16 23:12:25 UTC
I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?
Raymond Hall
2018-07-17 00:38:54 UTC
http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html

The above link is very instructive. Added to the usual suspects, Desormiere, Abbado, HvK, Casadeus, is a thumbs up for Ansermet.

Ray Hall, Taree
m***@gmail.com
2018-07-17 03:47:52 UTC
Really like Ansermets second in stupendous stereo
Lawrence Kart
I agree.
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 18:42:39 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Raymond Hall
http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html
The above link is very instructive. Added to the usual suspects, Desormiere, Abbado, HvK, Casadeus, is a thumbs up for Ansermet.
Ray Hall, Taree
Really like Ansermets second in stupendous stereo
According to the following:

- For me, the recording of Pelléas that comes closest to realizing Debussy’s ideal came from Ernest Ansermet and his Orchestre de la Suisse Romande in their 1964 remake with Erna Spoorenberg (Mélisande), Camille Maurane (Pelléas), George London (Golaud), Guus Hoekman (Arkel) and Josephine Veasey (Geneviève) (Decca). Like Debussy, Ansermet strove in all his work for clarity, efficiency, precision and proportion, and never more so than here. In his notes to this set he cited as his challenge “bringing out the continuity of the melos, scattered between the instruments and the voices, and giving the vocal line its true value without preventing it from being bathed in the orchestral harmony that clarifies its meaning.” Like the pioneering 1941 venture a generation before, Ansermet’s forces live and breathe the score, but with a difference – the recording is so detailed as to add a further layer of meaning to enhance Debussy’s art. Ernest Ansermet conducts Pelleas et Melisande (London LP set cover) The soundstage is thoroughly convincing, with voices slightly moving and receding with the action, and atmospheric resonance reflecting the settings and moods – the reverberant sound of the grotto where Golaud threatens Pelléas is truly terrifying without being overdone. Not only are the instrumental textures and their interplay fully displayed, but the timbres of the voices add complexity to the characters, tracing Mélisande’s transformation from scared waif to viable lover and then reverting to a wimpering cipher on her deathbed. While clearly respecting the French theatrical tradition of diffident lyrical expression, the vocal acting runs the gamut from the wrenching poignancy of Mélisande quietly sobbing “Je ne suis pas heureuse” (“I am not happy”) and piteously dissembling as she tries to explain the loss of her heirloom ring, to Golaud’s frighteningly intense demented tirade (abetted by snarling brass) and Pelleas's ardent profession of love. (The only weak link in the cast is an infantile-sounding Yniold, admittedly a difficult and unrewarding role.) The orchestral playing is superb, beautiful without lapsing into affectation, and Ansermet leads it all with sustained focus on presenting the external content while enabling us to explore its implications, keeping a firm grip on the emotional vicissitudes, ideally balancing stylized artistry and underlying emotion, and selecting tempos so “right” that the whole thing seems to transcend time and place to dwell in a universe that is remote yet infused with our most basic human feelings.

Ansermet’s recording is a remarkable achievement. Perhaps, then, he should have the last word: “[Pelléas] realizes at once that miracle which the musical theatre has always tried to produce as the highest ideal: the perfect identification of a musical essence with its poetic substance.”

http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html
Andy Evans
2018-07-17 06:41:29 UTC
Thanks Ray - that's very useful. I have Abbado on CD and I'm starting to see that there's a lot more in this opera than I'm getting out right now.
Andy Evans
2018-07-17 07:06:30 UTC
Here's what's on YT
OSR/Ansermet mono w. Danco
OSR/Ansermet w. Spoorenberg+London 1964s

Vienna/de Billy – video w. Dessay+Naouri nice

VPO/Abbado - score

Video -

ORTF/Inghelbrecht – 1962 w. Danco+Maurane live

Haitink live w. Von Otter+Holzmair
Casdesus, Naxos

RAI/Karajan 1954 mono w. Schwarzkopf+Haefliger
VS Opera/Karajan 1962 w. Gueden+Waechter

Karajan 1978 w/ von Stade, Van Dam
ROH/Boulez w. Soderstrom
Lamoureux/Fournet mono w. Gorr+Maurane

Lyon/Baudo 1978
Montreal/Dutoit

Opera de Leon/Gardiner – video

Welsh Nat Opera/Boulez – video

LSO/Rattle

LPO/Andrew Davis – video

Paris Conservatoire/Desormiere 1941

Monte Carlo/Jordan
Cluytens - mono w. de Los Angeles, Souzey
Bavarian RO/Kubelik w.Donath+F-D

Act II – Nice but who??

g***@gmail.com
2018-07-17 16:44:14 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
http://www.classicalnotes.net/opera/pelleas.html
The above link is very instructive. Added to the usual suspects, Desormiere, Abbado, HvK, Casadeus, is a thumbs up for Ansermet.
Ray Hall, Taree
This Wikipedia discography may also be of interest. It includes a 1934 MET broadcast w/Bori and Johnson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pell%C3%A9as_et_M%C3%A9lisande_discography
g***@gmail.com
Now that I think of it, when one considers the vastness of the MET's interior, is it possible for a baryton-martin Pelleas to be heard there?
g***@gmail.com
2018-07-17 16:41:09 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?
Has the 1945 MET performance w/Singher and Sayao already been mentioned?:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=662&ei=sBtOW9_GN6aG0wKvwa3oBQ&q=sayao+pelleas&oq=sayao+pelleas&gs_l=img.3...1228.3271.0.3392.14.8.0.6.0.0.194.989.0j7.7.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.6.866.0..0j35i39k1j0i10k1j0i5i30k1j0i30k1.0.w-eKoEb8u48#imgrc=Jl5YbKuoCQ3dlM:
wkasimer
2018-07-17 16:54:08 UTC
It has now....
Andy Evans
2018-07-17 20:23:52 UTC
Are there any fans of Monte Carlo/Jordan 1979 w. Yakar+Huttenlocher+Tappy here? Good stereo recording. Sounds great to my ears. That's been getting the most air time here together with Ansermet mono (can't take London) and Inghelbrecht.
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 18:19:48 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?
Although Teyte never recorded the role, the following selections are on THE EXQUISITE MAGGIE TEYTE:

- Voici Ce Qu'il Ecrite,

- Tu Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
p***@classicalnotes.net
2018-08-18 01:23:24 UTC
Curiously, though, these selections that Teyte recorded decades later were, respectively, Genevieve's recitative from Act I, Scene 2 and both roles of a dialogue from Act IV, Scene 4 dominated by Pelleas. Thus they provide only indirect clues as to her Melisande interpretation that she had prepared extensively with Debussy himself.
g***@gmail.com
2020-06-24 04:06:35 UTC
Post by p***@classicalnotes.net
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Andy Evans
I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?
- Voici Ce Qu'il Ecrite,
- Tu Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
Curiously, though, these selections that Teyte recorded decades later were, respectively, Genevieve's recitative from Act I, Scene 2 and both roles of a dialogue from Act IV, Scene 4 dominated by Pelleas. Thus they provide only indirect clues as to her Melisande interpretation that she had prepared extensively with Debussy himself.
To hear Teyte sing the following excerpts from "Pelleas...":

- Act 1: Scene 2 - Voici ce qu'il ecrit a son frere...
Act 1: Scene 2 - Il a toujours ete si prudent...
Act 2: Scene 3 - Oui, c'est isi, nous y somme...
Act 4: Scene 2 - Oh! cette pierre est lourde...
Act 4: Scene 2 - Sais'tu pourquoi je t'ai demande de venir ce soir?

https://www.amazon.com/Maggie-Teyte-Concert-Andre-Ernest-Modeste-Gretry/dp/B000003LJW
g***@gmail.com

Maggie Teyte: Pelléas et Mélisande: 5 scenes, 5 roles: Town Hall: 1/15/48
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-20 07:17:36 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I'm trying to find the better versions out of a long list of recordings. Can you help with some recommendations please?
Is this a MET performance?:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=2ml6W8beFdP10wKw27HwDg&q=theodor+uppman+&oq=theodor+uppman+&gs_l=img.3..0i30k1j0i24k1.11166.16225.0.16535.13.12.0.0.0.0.280.1367.0j2j4.6.0....0...1c.1.64.img..9.3.724...0i5i30k1j0i7i30k1.0.nqR9_25ccQk#imgrc=aKajZOANowuJxM:
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-20 07:26:04 UTC

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=UGt6W5e-I4G48APP6ruYCw&q=pelleas+angeles&oq=pelleas+angeles&gs_l=img.3...173513.182531.0.182698.23.18.0.0.0.0.367.2182.0j1j4j3.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..15.6.1757.0..0j0i67k1j0i30k1.0.2abf9SWZlAE#imgrc=uAdCHvxIG0kcGM:
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-20 14:09:48 UTC
You're the researcher here - figure it out
JohnA
2018-08-20 14:41:42 UTC
There's a button there that says "visit." If you would click that, you would find out.
g***@gmail.com
2020-06-16 22:28:17 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.opera/KGRmgWEPhWQ
Andy Evans
2020-06-17 07:29:34 UTC
Raymond Hall
2020-06-19 05:20:57 UTC
Gerard
2020-06-19 05:25:58 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
As a video I think the performance to go for is Boulez with Welsh National
Opera in 1992. Good singing and Boulez is idiomatic.
This gets the big things right
- it's in period costume which for me this score demands
- The sets and staging by Peter Stein are creative, beautiful and fit the opera
- Melisande has to be young, beautiful and seductive for the plot to make
any sense, and Hagley is perfect
"Alison Hagley's Melisande, whom this production intended all along as a
blend of fragile poetry and overt sexuality. "I've always thought you had
to be born for Melisande," said the American Matthew A. Epstein, who has
succeeded Mr. McMaster at the Welsh National. "And that you had to be
blonde. Alison, who's an essentially blonde creature, was Melisande from
the very first rehearsal."
I've been going through some of Ansermet's recordings available, and noted a
recording of Pelleas on the Eloquence label, with London, and with
Spoorenberg as Melisande. I have the Karajan recording with von Stade, but
this work, for me, needs a determination on my part to do another course.
Maybe the video makes more sense.

----------------

The Ansermet French Music box (32 cd) contains 2 recordings: 1952 and 1964.
Raymond Hall
2020-06-19 07:02:32 UTC
Post by Gerard
The Ansermet French Music box (32 cd) contains 2 recordings: 1952 and 1964.
I think the one on Eloquence is the 1952 mono recording.

Ray Hall, Taree
Gerard
2020-06-19 07:11:39 UTC
Post by Gerard
The Ansermet French Music box (32 cd) contains 2 recordings: 1952 and 1964.
I think the one on Eloquence is the 1952 mono recording.

Ray Hall, Taree

-----------------

The recording with Sporenberg. London, Maurane, Hoekman, Veasey, Brédy,
Shirley-Quirk and Kubrack is the 1964 stereo recording.
Frank Berger
2020-06-19 14:06:32 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
Post by Andy Evans
[...]
The Eloquence release is from 1952 with Danco. The 1964
recording with London and Spoorenberg is on Decca, but not
Eloquence. Just to clarify, not that it matters.
g***@gmail.com
2020-08-05 04:37:27 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.opera/gvk_wewbqjQ