Uchida redux
Bozo
2014-10-18 18:07:25 UTC
She speaks briefly about her 4 pianos, the " Diabelli" Variations, and her relationship with the Cleveland Orchestra , and the first mov. of her recording of LvB Op.101 is presented ( on her "old " piano ) as well as the finale from her recent cd with the Cleveland of the Mozart 19th, K.459, Concerto , starting about 1:08:00 into this BBC R3 " In Tune " :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l3721
tomdeacon
2014-10-19 11:42:07 UTC
Post by Bozo
She speaks briefly about her 4 pianos, the " Diabelli" Variations, and
her relationship with the Cleveland Orchestra , and the first mov. of her
recording of LvB Op.101 is presented ( on her "old " piano ) as well as
the finale from her recent cd with the Cleveland of the Mozart 19th,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l3721
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.

Her Mozart Picos seem good in a way her Tate series wasn't.
TD
timharicots@gmail.com
2014-10-19 13:16:59 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.
Her Mozart Picos seem good in a way her Tate series wasn't.
BBC Magazine called her on the cover of its last issue : "The greatest Mozart player", which I happen to find unfair towards Perahia, Zacharias, Pires, Heabler... I could never truly warm to Uchida's Mozart performances.

TH
Post by tomdeacon
--
TD
<https://twitter.com/babeltalen> <https://www.facebook.com/BabelUtrecht>
Lionel Tacchini
2014-10-19 13:51:54 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
BBC Magazine called her on the cover of its last issue : "The
greatest Mozart player", which I happen to find unfair towards
Perahia, Zacharias, Pires, Heabler...
It is not unfair, they'll be the greatest too whenever they are the
subject of an article.
Lionel Tacchini
William Sommerwerck
2014-10-19 14:29:57 UTC
The British have a much-different view of keyboard artistry than Americans.
Herman
2014-10-19 15:25:03 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
Post by ***@gmail.com
"The greatest Mozart player", which I happen to find unfair
towards Perahia, Zacharias, Pires, Heabler... I could never
truly warm to Uchida's Mozart performances.
The British have a much-different view of keyboard artistry than Americans.
Wow, how would you know?

This "greatest" thing is just the way you put it when your putting together a magazine. As somebody else said, if Perahia is on the cover next week, he's the "greatest".
Gerard

Is that view by Americans of some or more importance?
Norman Schwartz
Does it also have to include the British "of some or more importance"?
JohnGavin
I would rate De Larrocha high on that list. She's one of the few who doesn't impose an attitude of reverential purity onto Mozart. Her approach is natural, wonderfully rhythmic and sturdy.
timharicots@gmail.com
2014-10-20 16:03:22 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.
Her Mozart Picos seem good in a way her Tate series wasn't.
BBC Magazine called her on the cover of its last issue : "The greatest Mozart player", which I happen to find unfair towards Perahia, Zacharias, Pires, Heabler... I could never truly warm to Uchida's Mozart performances.
TH
I would rate De Larrocha high on that list. She's one of the few who doesn't impose an attitude of reverential purity onto Mozart. Her approach is natural, wonderfully rhythmic and sturdy.
Absolutely true of course, but I only mentioned Mozart players who are still among us....

TH
--
*BABEL *vergroot je wereld
*T* 030 - 227 0008 | *W* www.babel.nl
<https://twitter.com/babeltalen> <https://www.facebook.com/BabelUtrecht>
Tom Deacon
2014-10-20 17:34:13 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.
Her Mozart Picos seem good in a way her Tate series wasn't.
BBC Magazine called her on the cover of its last issue : "The greatest
Mozart player", which I happen to find unfair towards Perahia,
Zacharias, Pires, Heabler... I could never truly warm to Uchida's
Mozart performances.
TH
I would rate De Larrocha high on that list. She's one of the few who
doesn't impose an attitude of reverential purity onto Mozart. Her
approach is natural, wonderfully rhythmic and sturdy.
Are you opposed to revential purity on principle or just where Mozart
is concerned?
TD
JohnGavin
It's a more subtle quality of authenticity. Some people are genuinely humble, and others feign humility. Mozart playing can suffer in this way. Like playing on tip-toe. Reverence can come across as a sort of filter that doesn't ring true in performance - let's say the perception is subjective, not name names and leave it at that.
MiNe109
2014-10-20 21:19:49 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Tom Deacon
Post by JohnGavin
I would rate De Larrocha high on that list. She's one of the
few who doesn't impose an attitude of reverential purity onto
Mozart. Her approach is natural, wonderfully rhythmic and
sturdy.
Are you opposed to revential purity on principle or just where
Mozart is concerned?
TD
It's a more subtle quality of authenticity. Some people are
genuinely humble, and others feign humility. Mozart playing can
suffer in this way. Like playing on tip-toe. Reverence can come
across as a sort of filter that doesn't ring true in performance -
let's say the perception is subjective, not name names and leave it
at that.
For another take on "authenticity," try Arthur Schoonderwoerd. He
performs on a variety of Mozart appropriate instruments and, most
jarring to my ears, plays Mozart's appoggiaturas short, like acciaccaturas.

Stephen
tomdeacon
2014-10-23 00:31:22 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Tom Deacon
Post by JohnGavin
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by tomdeacon
[...]
There is too much vague impressionism in your thinking here, John. Haskil
is authentic, Uchida not? Hmmmm.

Seems to me you're just trying to couch your taste in lofty language.
TD
JohnGavin
2014-10-23 01:03:15 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Tom Deacon
Post by JohnGavin
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by tomdeacon
[...]
Where did I mention Haskil? My initials are not "TH".
It seems to me that you don't read posts carefully.
tomdeacon
2014-10-23 14:44:50 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Tom Deacon
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
Seems to me you're just trying to couch your taste in lofty language.
--
TD
It seems to me that you don't read posts carefully.
I have been reading yours for a very long time.

In this instance, you didn't mention Haskil, but she's the standard go-to
of Mozart lovers, n'est-ce pas? I don't actually much care for her playing.
As good an example as any, however, particularly as you provided no model
of "authenticity". Perhaps you thought we wouldn't notice? If you have one,
please bring it forward..

But as usual you do not answer my question. Authentic? Meaning? How is
Mozart playing authentic? Period instruments? Authentic "soul"?

Your comments are really meaningless if you are unable to pin down your
parameters much, much, much better, followed by some exemplary paradigm.

I have many Mozart paradigms, John. To be specific: Landowska's D major
sonata, Lipatti's A minor, Zacharias' A major, Arrau's C minor. I could go
on. They are completely dissimilar. But what they share is blazing
conviction in rhythm, phrasing, and scope. Uchida's live Mozart sonata
recital is a major step up from the studio readings. But I do believe she
has the same degree of conviction in her playing as these other pianists I
have mentioned and is true to the music and to herself always. That, for
me, at least, represents authenticity.
TD
Bozo
2014-10-21 02:27:14 UTC
Agreed. As is the little I've heard of Backhaus' playing of Mozart.
tomdeacon
2014-10-31 22:33:05 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.
Her Mozart Picos seem good in a way her Tate series wasn't.
BBC Magazine called her on the cover of its last issue : "The greatest
Mozart player", which I happen to find unfair towards Perahia,
Zacharias, Pires, Heabler... I could never truly warm to Uchida's Mozart performances.
TH
I would rate De Larrocha high on that list. She's one of the few who
doesn't impose an attitude of reverential purity onto Mozart. Her
approach is natural, wonderfully rhythmic and sturdy.
I really dislike the term "reverential purity". Casting aspersions with
cream puff language. Means nothing.
TD
JohnGavin
There are times when I'd like to cast a couple of cream puffs, but not quite in the way you describe above...........if you get my drift, Tom.
Mort
2014-10-20 01:32:10 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.
I attended Ms. Uchida'a series of performances of the complete Mozart
piano sonatas at Tully Hall, NYC, some years ago. After the last
evening, there was an informal question and answer session, and someone
asked her why she has not asked a composer to write a modern piece for
her. Her reply, in perfectly clear British English was: I thought about
it, but then I realized this. How do I know what the shmuck will put on
the paper?

She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.

Good listening,

Mort Linder

---
Frank Berger
2014-10-20 01:55:07 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.
I attended Ms. Uchida'a series of performances of the complete Mozart
piano sonatas at Tully Hall, NYC, some years ago. After the last
evening, there was an informal question and answer session, and someone
asked her why she has not asked a composer to write a modern piece for
her. Her reply, in perfectly clear British English was: I thought about
it, but then I realized this. How do I know what the shmuck will put on
the paper?
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.
Good listening,
Mort Linder
---
The Yiddish word "schmuck," literally means "penis." Although everyone
knows how to use it as an insult (and often don't know its literal
meaning), in traditional Jewish homes the word was considered to be vulgar.

I recall an episode of the Tonight Show, where Johnny Carson used the
word, and a Jewish guest (I can't recall who), asked him if he knew what
it meant and whispered it to him. Carson was surprised.

---
John Wiser
2014-10-20 02:13:01 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to see as
well as hear.
I attended Ms. Uchida'a series of performances of the complete Mozart
piano sonatas at Tully Hall, NYC, some years ago. After the last
evening, there was an informal question and answer session, and someone
asked her why she has not asked a composer to write a modern piece for
her. Her reply, in perfectly clear British English was: I thought about
it, but then I realized this. How do I know what the shmuck will put on
the paper?
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.
Good listening,
Mort Linder
---
protection is active.
The Yiddish word "schmuck," literally means "penis." Although everyone knows how to use it as an
insult (and often don't know its literal meaning), in traditional Jewish homes the word was
considered to be vulgar.
A scion of the noble tribe of goyim
offers you some advice on nuance. Berger.
Schmuck may be used jocularly,
as the lady appears to have used it.
If one desires to call someone a prick
in unsmiling earnest, the word of choice is putz.
To use putz correctly in a sentence:
You, Berger, are a putz of purest ray serene.

jdw
Ricardo Jimenez
2014-10-20 14:32:01 UTC
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 22:13:01 -0400, "John Wiser"
Post by John Wiser
If one desires to call someone a prick
in unsmiling earnest, the word of choice is putz.
It was explained to me many years ago, and I always have assumed it to
be true, that the distinction between schmuck and putz is that the
latter refers to the entire male external genitalia (penis + scrotum).
Mort
2014-10-20 14:14:52 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Mort
Post by tomdeacon
[...]

You are partially correct. In idiomatic use, shmuck means stupid, goofy,
not-with-it. It derives from the German word, which auf Deutsch means
jewel or ornament.(What would Freud say about that?) Putz also means
penis,as well as stupid or dopey.

My description of Ms. Uchida's remarks was simply meant to illustrate
how interconnected we all are these days. Any unpleasant meaning is only
in the mind (or lack thereof) of the reader.

I find it sad that almost any comment, no matter how innocent, results
in nasty responses from a few of our group members. It brings to mind
the bumper sticker, "sh-- happens."

Mort Linder

Mort Linder
William Sommerwerck
2014-10-20 14:33:15 UTC
In idiomatic use, shmuck means stupid, goofy, not-with-it. It derives
from the German word, which auf Deutsch means jewel or ornament.
In English, it 's an extremely vulgar word, akin to "prick". Billy Wilder used
it effectively in "One Two Three".
Frank Berger
2014-10-20 17:29:26 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Mort
Post by tomdeacon
S always it is cery hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier
to see as well as hear.
I attended Ms. Uchida'a series of performances of the complete
Mozart piano sonatas at Tully Hall, NYC, some years ago. After
the last evening, there was an informal question and answer
session, and someone asked her why she has not asked a composer
to write a modern piece for her. Her reply, in perfectly clear
British English was: I thought about it, but then I realized
this. How do I know what the shmuck will put on the paper?
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing
this Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's
English, and properly using a Yiddish word.
Good listening,
Mort Linder
--- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com
Hi,
You are partially correct. In idiomatic use, shmuck means stupid,
goofy, not-with-it. It derives from the German word, which auf
Deutsch means jewel or ornament.(What would Freud say about that?)
Putz also means penis,as well as stupid or dopey.
My description of Ms. Uchida's remarks was simply meant to illustrate
how interconnected we all are these days. Any unpleasant meaning is
only in the mind (or lack thereof) of the reader.
I find it sad that almost any comment, no matter how innocent,
results in nasty responses from a few of our group members. It brings
to mind the bumper sticker, "sh-- happens."
Mort Linder
Mort Linder
Mort, get a grip. My comment wasn't nasty nor was it intended to be.
It was also exactly correct. To oversimplify my point, when a gentile
calls someone a schmuck, Jews cringe or giggle.
Mort
2014-10-20 21:12:10 UTC
Mort, get a grip. My comment wasn't nasty nor was it intended to be. It
was also exactly correct. To oversimplify my point, when a gentile
calls someone a schmuck, Jews cringe or giggle.
Hi Frank,

No, I was not aiming my comment at you at all. Herman said that my
remarks are condescending and ethnocentric. That is not true, and
insulting to boot. I lived happily in 2 European countries for 6 years,
assimilated fully , spoke and still speak the languages fluently,and
never even thought about being ethnocentric or condescending. That is
not who I am.

That is the very point of my complaint, which actually now prevents me
from posting many interesting things about music, for fear of kickbacks
from the gutter.

Mort Linder

---
Frank Berger
2014-10-20 22:50:03 UTC
Post by Mort
Mort, get a grip. My comment wasn't nasty nor was it intended to be. It
was also exactly correct. To oversimplify my point, when a gentile
calls someone a schmuck, Jews cringe or giggle.
Hi Frank,
No, I was not aiming my comment at you at all. Herman said that my
remarks are condescending and ethnocentric. That is not true, and
insulting to boot. I lived happily in 2 European countries for 6 years,
assimilated fully , spoke and still speak the languages fluently,and
never even thought about being ethnocentric or condescending. That is
not who I am.
That is the very point of my complaint, which actually now prevents me
from posting many interesting things about music, for fear of kickbacks
from the gutter.
Mort Linder
---
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.

---
Mort
2014-10-21 01:30:11 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty
Thanks , Frank. I will in one way or another just completely ignore
Herman. He is poisoning a very nice newsgroup, most of whose members are
pleasant and helpful.

Mort Linder

---
Mort
2014-10-22 16:12:14 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.
Hi,

Thanksfor the great suggestion. I perused the on-line literature about
how to set a killfile, an dthere were many complicated methods.

I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SeaMonkey browser. Plesase tell me how
to simply set a killfile just on Herman. I would really appreciate that.

Thanks,

Mort Linder

---
Herman
You guys could also consider doing this type of business privately.
2014-10-22 19:58:27 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.
Hi,
Thanksfor the great suggestion. I perused the on-line literature about
how to set a killfile, an dthere were many complicated methods.
I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SeaMonkey browser. Plesase tell me how
to simply set a killfile just on Herman. I would really appreciate that.
Thanks,
Mort Linder
You guys could also consider doing this type of business privately.
<-- Herm's last words before his virtual electronic death.

-Owen, a murder of killfiles.
Bob Harper
2014-10-23 02:59:00 UTC
Post by O
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.
Hi,
Thanksfor the great suggestion. I perused the on-line literature about
how to set a killfile, an dthere were many complicated methods.
I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SeaMonkey browser. Plesase tell me how
to simply set a killfile just on Herman. I would really appreciate that.
Thanks,
Mort Linder
You guys could also consider doing this type of business privately.
<-- Herm's last words before his virtual electronic death.
-Owen, a murder of killfiles.
As some may know, I do not, on principle, killfile anyone, but it's
interesting to see how much Herman apparently fears that 'virtual
electronic death'.

Bob Harper
2014-10-23 14:24:53 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by O
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.
Hi,
Thanksfor the great suggestion. I perused the on-line literature about
how to set a killfile, an dthere were many complicated methods.
I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SeaMonkey browser. Plesase tell me how
to simply set a killfile just on Herman. I would really appreciate that.
Thanks,
Mort Linder
You guys could also consider doing this type of business privately.
<-- Herm's last words before his virtual electronic death.
-Owen, a murder of killfiles.
As some may know, I do not, on principle, killfile anyone, but it's
interesting to see how much Herman apparently fears that 'virtual
electronic death'.
Maybe he just hates public displays of disaffection. Or people
plotting a killfile in public. Especially one in his honor.

-Owen, who's been electronically murdered several times.
tomdeacon
2014-10-23 14:46:59 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by O
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.
Hi,
Thanksfor the great suggestion. I perused the on-line literature about
how to set a killfile, an dthere were many complicated methods.
I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SeaMonkey browser. Plesase tell me how
to simply set a killfile just on Herman. I would really appreciate that.
Thanks,
Mort Linder
You guys could also consider doing this type of business privately.
<-- Herm's last words before his virtual electronic death.
-Owen, a murder of killfiles.
As some may know, I do not, on principle, killfile anyone, but it's
interesting to see how much Herman apparently fears that 'virtual electronic death'.
I truly doubt that, Bob. But perhaps you do?
TD
Bob Harper

Bob Harper
John Wiser
2014-10-24 15:39:12 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by O
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
[...]
[1] Have a short attention span ?
[2] Take a page from Berger's book ?

jdw
Bob Harper
2014-10-25 03:29:05 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Bob Harper
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by O
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
[...]
I understood, John, but Tom's brevity obfuscated clarity.

Bob Harper
Frank Berger
2014-10-23 15:15:31 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.
Hi,
Thanksfor the great suggestion. I perused the on-line literature about
how to set a killfile, an dthere were many complicated methods.
I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SeaMonkey browser. Plesase tell me how
to simply set a killfile just on Herman. I would really appreciate that.
Thanks,
Mort Linder
---
I don't know SeaMonkey. Usually you highlight a message and somewhere
in tools or messages you can set up a rule to screen out messages from
that sender. Sorry I can't be more specific.

---
tomdeacon
2014-10-23 16:23:18 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by Frank Berger
OK. You need to killfile Herman, as I have done, ASAP. As I will do
with anyone whose posts are invariably nasty.
Hi,
Thanksfor the great suggestion. I perused the on-line literature about
how to set a killfile, an dthere were many complicated methods.
I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SeaMonkey browser. Plesase tell me how
to simply set a killfile just on Herman. I would really appreciate that.
Thanks,
Mort Linder
---
protection is active.
I don't know SeaMonkey. Usually you highlight a message and somewhere in
tools or messages you can set up a rule to screen out messages from that
sender. Sorry I can't be more specific.
What a pity we cannot do such a thing with thise diehard troublemakers in
the Middle East! Wouldn't that be nice!
TD
Bozo
2014-10-23 17:38:05 UTC
What a pity we cannot do such a thing with thise diehard troublemakers the Middle East! Wouldn't that >be nice!
Indeed.

And we need more folks like the Sergeant - At - Arms in your Parliament.
Bob Harper
2014-10-24 14:22:31 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by tomdeacon
What a pity we cannot do such a thing with thise diehard
troublemakers the Middle East! Wouldn't that>be nice!
Indeed.
And we need more folks like the Sergeant - At - Arms in your
Parliament.
Yes, a man who saw his duty and did it. Kudos!

Bob Harper
tomdeacon
2014-10-24 19:25:29 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by Bozo
Post by tomdeacon
What a pity we cannot do such a thing with thise diehard
troublemakers the Middle East! Wouldn't that>be nice!
Indeed.
And we need more folks like the Sergeant - At - Arms in your
Parliament.
Yes, a man who saw his duty and did it. Kudos!
Now, if only someone would do their duty in Israel!

Will nobody rid my kingdom of that devious pol?
TD
Bob Harper
2014-10-25 03:31:17 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by Bozo
Post by tomdeacon
What a pity we cannot do such a thing with thise diehard
troublemakers the Middle East! Wouldn't that>be nice!
Indeed.
And we need more folks like the Sergeant - At - Arms in your
Parliament.
Yes, a man who saw his duty and did it. Kudos!
Now, if only someone would do their duty in Israel!
Will nobody rid my kingdom of that devious pol?
Of whom do you speak? Abu Mazen, or Khaled Mashaal?

Bob Harper
Frank Berger
2014-10-25 23:55:38 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by Bozo
Post by tomdeacon
What a pity we cannot do such a thing with thise diehard
troublemakers the Middle East! Wouldn't that>be nice!
Indeed.
And we need more folks like the Sergeant - At - Arms in your Parliament.
Yes, a man who saw his duty and did it. Kudos!
Now, if only someone would do their duty in Israel!
Will nobody rid my kingdom of that devious pol?
Of whom do you speak? Abu Mazen, or Khaled Mashaal?
Bob Harper
Actually, some Israeli policeman or soldier did exactly this sort of
duty the other day, shooting dead a Palestinian terrorist who had driven
his car into a crowd of people, killing a 3 month old infant and sending
others into critical condition at hospitals.

---
tomdeacon
TD
tomdeacon
2014-10-23 00:32:55 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Mort
[...]
So, Frank, in an act of supreme onanism, has killfiled himself.

LOL
TD
Norman Schwartz
2014-10-20 17:14:30 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Mort
Post by tomdeacon
[...]
Having seen this past Saturday evening's PBS "Indie" movie presentation,
'Putzel', (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1980218/?ref_=nv_sr_1),
I'm reminded that in many instances, 'Putz' can be used in the place of
'Schmuck', and has a similar connotation. (I don't think either is any more
polite than the other.
('Putzel' will be shown again on my local PBS station during the early AM of
Oct. 22. Perhaps other PBS TV stations show 'Putzel' during a similar time
slot.)
Herman
2014-10-20 06:22:35 UTC
Christ, don't you realize how condescending and (let's use a nice word) ethnocentric it is to make comments like this? Wow, this little monkey can speak English, just like I do!
John Wiser
2014-10-20 08:28:23 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.
Christ, don't you realize how condescending and (let's use a nice word) ethnocentric it is to make
comments like this? Wow, this little monkey can speak English, just like I do!
You and Berger oughta team up, Hermster. You could have a great comedy act.
Find a name with legs, go on tour. How about "Putz & Kvetch"? Nah, that's too
easy - the floor is open for suggestions.

jdw
Herman
2014-10-20 08:38:08 UTC
yeah, we're real buddies
John Wiser
2014-10-20 10:49:22 UTC
Post by Herman
yeah, we're real buddies
Lends the ensemble a certain tension, doesn't it?

jdw
Herman
2014-10-20 11:17:26 UTC
I'd say 'close-knit' is the word. (Though it's really two words.)
Bob Harper
2014-10-23 02:52:59 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.
Christ, don't you realize how condescending and (let's use a nice
word) ethnocentric it is to make comments like this? Wow, this little
monkey can speak English, just like I do!
No, Herm, you don't know a good-humored comment (and Mort has
demonstrated, time and again, how good-humored he is) from an
'insensitive' comment, probably because you've specialized in the latter
and avoided the former like the plague. Perhaps good humor and
snarkiness--your specialty--are mutually exclusive.

Bob Harper
tomdeacon
2014-10-23 14:46:59 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.
Christ, don't you realize how condescending and (let's use a nice
word) ethnocentric it is to make comments like this? Wow, this little
monkey can speak English, just like I do!
No, Herm, you don't know a good-humored comment (and Mort has
demonstrated, time and again, how good-humored he is) from an
'insensitive' comment, probably because you've specialized in the latter
and avoided the former like the plague. Perhaps good humor and
snarkiness--your specialty--are mutually exclusive.
Humour? Overrated, Bob. And very dangerous to interpret via the written
word on the Internet.
TD
Bob Harper
2014-10-24 14:20:52 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.
Christ, don't you realize how condescending and (let's use a nice
word) ethnocentric it is to make comments like this? Wow, this little
monkey can speak English, just like I do!
No, Herm, you don't know a good-humored comment (and Mort has
demonstrated, time and again, how good-humored he is) from an
'insensitive' comment, probably because you've specialized in the latter
and avoided the former like the plague. Perhaps good humor and
snarkiness--your specialty--are mutually exclusive.
Humour? Overrated, Bob. And very dangerous to interpret via the written
word on the Internet.
No, Tom, humor is one of the things that make us human. In fact it's
'high seriousness' (to quote M. Arnold) that is overrated. And there is
written as well as spoken humor, so the notion that it is 'dangerous' to
interpret via the written word seems to me puzzling, to say the least.

Bob Harper
Lionel Tacchini
2014-10-24 14:38:45 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
No, Tom, humor is one of the things that make us human.
Like war.
Lionel Tacchini
2014-10-24 17:49:02 UTC
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Bob Harper
No, Tom, humor is one of the things that make us human.
Like war.
Other species gang up in tribes and go out and fight other tribes.
Lots of insects for starters.

-Owen, now when honeybees get nukes...
tomdeacon
2014-10-24 19:25:30 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
[...]
Clearly, then you have failed in tgat attempt. I prefer not to try. As I
say, humour.....
TD
Bob Harper
2014-10-25 03:32:30 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Bob Harper
Post by Herman
Post by Mort
[...]
Not sure I attempted anything, Tom, beyond a comment.

Bob Harper
dk
2014-10-29 19:44:48 UTC
Post by Mort
S always it is very hard to penetrate Uchida's English. Easier to
see as well as hear.
I attended Ms. Uchida'a series of performances of the complete Mozart
piano sonatas at Tully Hall, NYC, some years ago. After the last
evening, there was an informal question and answer session, and someone
asked her why she has not asked a composer to write a modern piece for
her. Her reply, in perfectly clear British English was: I thought about
it, but then I realized this. How do I know what the shmuck will put on
the paper?
She had good humor in abundance. It was really hilarious hearing this
Japanese woman, born in Austria, speaking the King's English, and
properly using a Yiddish word.
Good listening,
Mort Linder
Too bad one never hears any of that humour in
her performances. She always sounds like she
is striving to become another Santa Clara.
Haskil at least had the decency to refrain
from recording repertoire she could not
understand.

dk
operafan
Her Mozart Concertos recorded with Cleveland have plenty of good humor in the right places (I haven't heard the recently released 18-19). The recordings with Tate are prim and proper and neat--I find them boring.
dk
2014-11-02 07:00:58 UTC
Post by operafan
Post by dk
Too bad one never hears any of that humour in
her performances. She always sounds like she
is striving to become another Santa Clara.
Haskil at least had the decency to refrain
from recording repertoire she could not
understand.
Her Mozart Concertos recorded with Cleveland have plenty of
good humor in the right places (I haven't heard the recently
released 18-19). The recordings with Tate are prim and proper
and neat--I find them boring.
Perhaps. I didn't bother to check them out. After
hearing her Schubert and Schumann performances I
erased her name from my musical memory.

dk