Pieces for children (piano)
Tony
2017-08-04 18:21:33 UTC
I've been enjoying a selection of Weinberg's Children's Notebooks. Wonderful pieces. There are at least 3 different recordings on CD of all three notebooks.

Any other compositions like this that you enjoy? Aside from the ones by Schumann & Debussy....

By the way, are there compositions like this for the violin?
Bozo
2017-08-04 19:19:22 UTC
Bartok, " For Children " , for piano ( Ranki here ) :

Bozo
2017-08-04 19:46:10 UTC
Mompou,"Scenes d'enfants " :

Bozo
2017-08-04 20:00:07 UTC
Finally ( for me ), Prokofieff, “Music for Children” , Op.65, Zhukov here :

laraine
2017-08-08 00:39:25 UTC
http://youtu.be/Z2pGxz9ryPI
Those are nice performances...

I learned Promenade as a child, and got a real kick out of it.

And this gavotte (or any gavotte by Prokofiev) is fun
(though a little harder than it sounds):

C.

HT
2017-08-04 21:23:50 UTC
http://youtu.be/_X7IFKTIzqE
Any other compositions like this that you enjoy? Aside from the ones by Schumann & Debussy....
By the way, are there compositions like this for the violin?
Really interesting. Weinberg's children are an unruly lot, unlike those of Schumann and Debussy.

2017-08-04 22:46:08 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Tony
I've been enjoying a selection of Weinberg's Children's Notebooks. Wonderful pieces. There are at least 3 different recordings on CD of all three notebooks.
http://youtu.be/_X7IFKTIzqE
Any other compositions like this that you enjoy? Aside from the ones by Schumann & Debussy....
By the way, are there compositions like this for the violin?
Really interesting. Weinberg's children are an unruly lot, unlike those of Schumann and Debussy.
Henk
I suppose it depends whether the composer is trying to
describe the behavior of children or lull them to sleep. I
have noticed that children are unruly from time to time.
Tony
2017-08-06 07:17:46 UTC
Indeed, I haven't heard the Weinberg beyond the selection by Grinberg, but they sound worth exploring -- catching and emotive.
m***@gmail.com
2017-08-05 03:05:37 UTC
There's a work of Tchaikovsky, recorded by Esteban Sanchez. Also a small one of Mendelssohn, Op 72. Neither rivals Schumann's.
SE.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-08-05 06:10:58 UTC
Carl Nielsen: Humoreske Bagateller, op. 11. The titles of the individual pieces includes children's toys.

His Klavermusik for Smaa og Store, op. 53 ("for young and old) also in part fit the description, though I can't say I really enjoy them.

Mussorgsky: Memories of Childhood

Soeren
Tony
2017-08-06 07:24:56 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Carl Nielsen: Humoreske Bagateller, op. 11. The titles of the individual pieces includes children's toys.
His Klavermusik for Smaa og Store, op. 53 ("for young and old) also in part fit the description, though I can't say I really enjoy them.
Mussorgsky: Memories of Childhood
Soeren
Thanks to all, especially for the less mentioned ones like Nielsen.

I would add Sviridov's Children's Album, of which I've heard only samples and it sounds a bit simplistic.
c***@gmail.com
2017-08-06 18:40:01 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Carl Nielsen: Humoreske Bagateller, op. 11. The titles of the individual pieces includes children's toys.
His Klavermusik for Smaa og Store, op. 53 ("for young and old) also in part fit the description, though I can't say I really enjoy them.
Mussorgsky: Memories of Childhood
Soeren
Thanks to all, especially for the less mentioned ones like Nielsen.
I would add Sviridov's Children's Album, of which I've heard only samples and it sounds a bit simplistic.
Does anyone remember the several (4?) LPs that Morton Estrin recorded for Connoisseur Society entitled "Great Hits You Played When You Were Young"? A lot of fun, esp. for nostalgia value ("I might have played them that well had I ever practiced.") :-) Were any of them digitized? Not necessarily pieces written for children, of course.

AC
laraine
2017-08-05 20:56:30 UTC
Lots of Russian piano music available, for example:

Stravinsky Les Cinq doigts (The Five Fingers) (M.Beroff)

Prokofiev - Pieces for Piano, Op. 12 - (Vladimir Sofronitsky)

C.
Bozo
2017-08-05 22:42:01 UTC
Hear the wonderful Op.65 Prokofieff," Music for Children" , link earlier in this thread.