Mitropoulos' Best Recordings
ansermetniac
2004-10-06 20:48:31 UTC
Just finished listening to his Mendelssohn Symphonies (3 & 5) with the
NY Phil. The Scottish is good but the Reformation is Superb.

What are his best recordings. Are his Minneapolis recordings better
than his New York ones?

Abbedd
________________

Go To Abbedd's Place For the MP3S of the Week

http://members.aol.com/abbedd/abbedd

Boycott Inglotted CDS
http://home.earthlink.net/~abbedd/noinglottecds.htm

G.P.O.C.
http://home.earthlink.net/~abbedd/GPOC.htm

"Knowing what without knowing why is not knowing what"
"If Music is important,then anti-Musicality is even more important"
"I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made."
FDR
David7Gable
2004-10-07 01:58:17 UTC
One of his best performances is an abridged English-language non-Rimsky (but
not quite entirely Mussorgsky) Boris with Met forces from the 50's. Tozzi is
the magnificent Boris. This was the result of some kind of collaboration
between the Met and RCA, and there are many Mitropoulos recordings in the
series, of which Boris is the only one I've heard.

-david gable
Jeffrey F. Lipton
2004-10-07 04:34:13 UTC
The Tosca with Kirsten is superb also - he really knows how to turn the
screws on the musical tension;
too bad it's slightly abridged (e.g., no sheperd's song in act III).
- Jeff
-david gable
Richard Bernas
2004-10-07 06:15:46 UTC
Post by ansermetniac
Just finished listening to his Mendelssohn Symphonies (3 & 5) with the
NY Phil. The Scottish is good but the Reformation is Superb.
What are his best recordings. Are his Minneapolis recordings better
than his New York ones?
Abbedd
________________
commercial recordings:
Berg: Wozzeck
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet excs
Schoenberg: Verklaerte Nacht

live recordings:
Mahler: Symphonies 1,3,6 & 9 with NYPO
Strauss: Elektra from Salzburg

...though I like the Minneapolis Mahler One and Chausson Symphony a
lot, there is a nasal, strangulated tone quality about the recording
of the brass that I suspect you may not enjoy. (The first trumpet
could never possibly have sounded so kazoo-like, some solos sound like
he is playing them with a disagreeable mute.)

Richard
Richard Bernas
2004-10-07 11:54:15 UTC
Post by Richard Bernas
Mahler: Symphonies 1,3,6 & 9 with NYPO
Strauss: Elektra from Salzburg
I've thought of a couple more live recordings

Verdi: Forza del Destino from Salzburg
which shows Mitropoulos getting focused, musical, intense results from
Tebaldi, del Monaco and Siepi, all of whom phoned in glamorous and
self-interested (bland) accounts of the same roles for Maestro
Molinari Pradelli (for Decca) a few years later.
The difference between live and studio performance? I think the gap is
wider than that.

Puccini: Manon Lescaut from the MET
ditto with Albanese and Bjorling (and Maestro Perlea) in this case.

Richard
Richard Bernas
2004-10-07 11:54:33 UTC
Post by Richard Bernas
Mahler: Symphonies 1,3,6 & 9 with NYPO
Strauss: Elektra from Salzburg
I've thought of a couple more live recordings

Verdi: Forza del Destino from Florence

Richard
Simon Roberts
2004-10-07 14:20:33 UTC
In article <***@posting.google.com>, Richard Bernas
says...
Post by Richard Bernas
Post by Richard Bernas
Mahler: Symphonies 1,3,6 & 9 with NYPO
Strauss: Elektra from Salzburg
I've thought of a couple more live recordings
Verdi: Forza del Destino from Florence
which shows Mitropoulos getting focused, musical, intense results from
Tebaldi, del Monaco and Siepi, all of whom phoned in glamorous and
self-interested (bland) accounts of the same roles for Maestro
Molinari Pradelli (for Decca) a few years later.
The difference between live and studio performance? I think the gap is
wider than that.
Puccini: Manon Lescaut from the MET
ditto with Albanese and Bjorling (and Maestro Perlea) in this case.
Another: Brahms cto 1 with Kapell on M&A

Simon
Matthew B. Tepper
2004-10-07 15:14:16 UTC
In addition to many already mentioned (specifically the Shostakovich
recordings), Barber's _Vanessa_.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
James Kahn
2004-10-07 15:53:52 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by Richard Bernas
Post by Richard Bernas
Mahler: Symphonies 1,3,6 & 9 with NYPO
Strauss: Elektra from Salzburg
I've thought of a couple more live recordings
Verdi: Forza del Destino from Florence
which shows Mitropoulos getting focused, musical, intense results from
Tebaldi, del Monaco and Siepi, all of whom phoned in glamorous and
self-interested (bland) accounts of the same roles for Maestro
Molinari Pradelli (for Decca) a few years later.
The difference between live and studio performance? I think the gap is
wider than that.
Puccini: Manon Lescaut from the MET
ditto with Albanese and Bjorling (and Maestro Perlea) in this case.
Another: Brahms cto 1 with Kapell on M&A
How about Don Giovanni with Walter Berry? I think it's on Sony.
--
Jim
New York, NY
http://www.panix.com/~kahn
Aravind Ayyar
2004-10-08 03:15:43 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by Richard Bernas
Post by Richard Bernas
Mahler: Symphonies 1,3,6 & 9 with NYPO
Strauss: Elektra from Salzburg
I've thought of a couple more live recordings
Verdi: Forza del Destino from Florence
which shows Mitropoulos getting focused, musical, intense results from
Tebaldi, del Monaco and Siepi, all of whom phoned in glamorous and
self-interested (bland) accounts of the same roles for Maestro
Molinari Pradelli (for Decca) a few years later.
The difference between live and studio performance? I think the gap is
wider than that.
Puccini: Manon Lescaut from the MET
ditto with Albanese and Bjorling (and Maestro Perlea) in this case.
Another: Brahms cto 1 with Kapell on M&A
Simon
Have you heard the Casadeus/Mitropoulos "Emperor" coupled with the
Falla, "Nights in the Garden of Spain" on French Sony? David H. raves
about this disc on his website? What is your opinion? Thanks.

AA
Simon Roberts
2004-10-08 11:55:40 UTC
In article <***@posting.google.com>, Aravind Ayyar
says...
Post by Aravind Ayyar
Post by Simon Roberts
Another: Brahms cto 1 with Kapell on M&A
Simon
Have you heard the Casadeus/Mitropoulos "Emperor" coupled with the
Falla, "Nights in the Garden of Spain" on French Sony? David H. raves
about this disc on his website? What is your opinion? Thanks.
I agree with him; I much prefer this to the better-known later Casadesus
recording.

Simon
Marc Perman
2004-10-10 01:45:41 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by Aravind Ayyar
Have you heard the Casadeus/Mitropoulos "Emperor" coupled with the
Falla, "Nights in the Garden of Spain" on French Sony? David H. raves
about this disc on his website? What is your opinion? Thanks.
I agree with him; I much prefer this to the better-known later Casadesus
recording.
More impressive to me than the Emperor with Mitropoulos is the one with
Rosbaud - is this the better-known later recording?

Marc Perman
Simon Roberts

Simon
Chuck Klaus
2004-10-07 13:28:56 UTC
Post by ansermetniac
Just finished listening to his Mendelssohn Symphonies (3 & 5) with the
NY Phil. The Scottish is good but the Reformation is Superb.
What are his best recordings. Are his Minneapolis recordings better
than his New York ones?
Abbedd
________________
I've always been fond of the Mitropoulos Rachmaninoff Second, and his
1957 Vienna performance recording of "Elektra" by Strauss is riveting.

Regards,

Chuck Klaus
M. Weston
2004-10-07 14:27:36 UTC
All of what I've heard on Orfeo is very enjoyable. Was the
Mendelssohn 3/5 recording you listened to a cd or lp? I had an
Arkadia release of his Mendelssohn 3 which listed it as the NYP, I
believe, but Orfeo put out the same recording, and it turned out it
was the VPO.
ansermetniac
2004-10-07 14:30:08 UTC
Post by M. Weston
All of what I've heard on Orfeo is very enjoyable. Was the
Mendelssohn 3/5 recording you listened to a cd or lp? I had an
Arkadia release of his Mendelssohn 3 which listed it as the NYP, I
believe, but Orfeo put out the same recording, and it turned out it
was the VPO.
The Mendelsshon Syms were once available on a Theorema CD . I was
listening from the CSP LP

Abbedd
________________

FDR
Paul Goldstein
2004-10-07 19:23:15 UTC
Post by ansermetniac
Post by M. Weston
All of what I've heard on Orfeo is very enjoyable. Was the
Mendelssohn 3/5 recording you listened to a cd or lp? I had an
Arkadia release of his Mendelssohn 3 which listed it as the NYP, I
believe, but Orfeo put out the same recording, and it turned out it
was the VPO.
The Mendelsshon Syms were once available on a Theorema CD . I was
listening from the CSP LP
John Wilson made excellent transfers of Mitropoulos/NYP's Mendelssohn 3 and 5,
plus Ruy Blas Overture.
Paul Goldstein
ansermetniac
2004-10-07 19:53:45 UTC
On 7 Oct 2004 12:23:15 -0700, Paul Goldstein
Post by Paul Goldstein
Post by ansermetniac
Post by M. Weston
All of what I've heard on Orfeo is very enjoyable. Was the
Mendelssohn 3/5 recording you listened to a cd or lp? I had an
Arkadia release of his Mendelssohn 3 which listed it as the NYP, I
believe, but Orfeo put out the same recording, and it turned out it
was the VPO.
The Mendelsshon Syms were once available on a Theorema CD . I was
listening from the CSP LP
John Wilson made excellent transfers of Mitropoulos/NYP's Mendelssohn 3 and 5,
plus Ruy Blas Overture.
John has good taste

Abbedd

________________

FDR
Peter Schenkman
2004-10-07 20:22:53 UTC
Post by ansermetniac
Post by M. Weston
All of what I've heard on Orfeo is very enjoyable. Was the
Mendelssohn 3/5 recording you listened to a cd or lp? I had an
Arkadia release of his Mendelssohn 3 which listed it as the NYP, I
believe, but Orfeo put out the same recording, and it turned out it
was the VPO.
The Mendelsshon Syms were once available on a Theorema CD . I was
listening from the CSP LP
Abbedd
I have two recordings of Mitropoulos conducting the Mendelssohn
Symphony No. 3.

1. With the Minneapolis Symphony from 1941, available at one time on
LYS as Volume #2 of their Mitropoulos series (LYS 172) paired with
more Mendelssohn and Weber's Jubel Overture.

2. With the Berlin Philharmonic from Salzburg in 1960 available on
Orfeo (488 981) coupled with the Schoenberg Variations and Debussy's
La Mer.

Peter Schenkman
Peter Schenkman
2004-10-07 20:41:09 UTC
Post by Richard Bernas
Post by ansermetniac
Just finished listening to his Mendelssohn Symphonies (3 & 5) with the
NY Phil. The Scottish is good but the Reformation is Superb.
What are his best recordings. Are his Minneapolis recordings better
than his New York ones?
Abbedd
...though I like the Minneapolis Mahler One and Chausson Symphony a
lot, there is a nasal, strangulated tone quality about the recording
of the brass that I suspect you may not enjoy. (The first trumpet
could never possibly have sounded so kazoo-like, some solos sound like
he is playing them with a disagreeable mute.)
Richard
The short-lived Sony Masterworks Heritage series had a very good
sounding transfer of the Mitropoulos led Mahler First from Minneapolis
(MHK 62342)in the works first ever recording, disc mate was an equally
good sounding Rachmaninoff "Isle of the Dead". That series while
around was quite wonderful unfortunately it got axed.

Peter Schenkman
Peter Schenkman
2004-10-07 14:41:54 UTC
Post by ansermetniac
Just finished listening to his Mendelssohn Symphonies (3 & 5) with the
NY Phil. The Scottish is good but the Reformation is Superb.
What are his best recordings. Are his Minneapolis recordings better
than his New York ones?
Abbedd
When faced with a conductor as good as Mitropoulos and also as
under-rated it's next to impossible to know where to start. Many
people tend to think of Dimitri Mitropoulos as primarily a symphonic
conductor but his conducting of opera was prolific to say the very
least. The Nickson label (P.O. Box #25523, Rochester, N.Y. 14625)
shows four different performances of Tosca from the Metropolitan
Opera; in 1957, 58, 59 and 1960 and that's just the tip of the ice
berg. His Elektra and Salome were the equal of any, his recording of
Vanessa has never been out of the catalogue and his recording of
Wozzeck has rightly enjoyed legendary status since it first appeared
in 1951. The Shostakovich Tenth Symphony with the New York
Philharmonic is the equal of any as is that same composers Violin
Concerto with David Oistrakh. Good as the commercial recording is the
live performance; the U.S. premiere from Jan. 1, 1956 "Kicks it up a
notch". That performance is available as part of "The Historic
Broadcasts 1923-1987" from the Philharmonic. Mitropoulos' recording(s)
as both pianist and conductor of the Prokofiev Third Concerto as well
as the Krenek Third Concerto is rather amazing particularly placed
into historical context. In the mid 1940's when the Prokofiev was
recorded it was hardly the piece of standard repertoire that it has
become in this era, North American Orchestras had very little if any
experience with the work. Mahler was also something of a Mitropoulos
specialty and there are certainly recordings to document this,
Symphonies 1, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 9 are available. Franz Schmidt's Oratorio
"The Book With Seven Seals" which he presented at Salzburg on Aug. 23,
1959 available on the Orfeo label is well worth seeking out as is that
same composers Symphony No. 2 on Music & Arts and the list could go
on. William Trotter's biography, "Priest of Music, The Life of Dimitri
Mitropoulos" is a good place to get an overview of the career and man.

Peter Schenkman
Marc Perman
2004-10-08 01:44:26 UTC
Post by Peter Schenkman
[...]
Mitropoulos is also heard to good effect in NY supporting Francescatti in
various concertos on Sony Masterworks Heritage.

Marc Perman
Sol L. Siegel
2004-10-08 02:21:19 UTC
I just got through his Great Conductors set. The second disc -
Berlioz (not Prokofiev) R&J excerpts, La Mer and Dance of the
7 Veils - was every bit as hair-raising as the Cologne Mahler 6
on the first, though the La Mer may not have been exactly what
Debussy had in mind.

BTW, Berkshire has Retrospective releases for $3.99 which
include the superb Vaughan Williams 4 (coupled with the
eccentric but entirely compelling Stokowski version of the 6th).

-Sol Siegel, Philadelphia, PA
--------------------
"I really liked it. Even the music was good." - Yogi Berra, after seeing
"Tosca"
--------------------
(Remove "exitspam" from the end of my e-mail address to respond.)
Matthew B. Tepper
2004-10-08 07:42:07 UTC
BTW, Berkshire has Retrospective releases for $3.99 which include the
superb Vaughan Williams 4 (coupled with the eccentric but entirely
compelling Stokowski version of the 6th).
This was also a Sony UK release under the Essential Classics rubric -- not
picked up by the brain-dead US division of the label, of course.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
g***@gmail.com
On Youtube, there is an Ed Sullivan Show segment from 1956 w/Mitropoulos accompanying Callas in VISSI D'ARTE.
Marcus Maroney
2004-10-07 14:42:51 UTC
Post by ansermetniac
What are his best recordings. Are his Minneapolis recordings better
than his New York ones?
Unfortunately the sound on most of the Minneapolis recordings is
pretty horrible. The NYPO recordings are all pretty solid. At one
time I started writing pretty extensive notes about the LYS releases,
but all I have online right now is this:

Volume 4--A French Festival LYS 211
Recordings from Columbia 78s
Paul Dukas--L'Apprenti sorcier (rec. 27.XII.40) (9:36)
Easily the highlight of the disc. The recorded sound is the best that
LYS offers, and the orchestral execution is marvellous. This rivals
Guido Cantelli's Philharmonia account in virtuosity and conception.
The tempo in the introduction is rather quick. This is a must have.
Emmanuel Chabrier--Joyeuse Marche (rec. 7.XII.41) (3:16)
Unfortunately, the recorded sound on this is horribly boxy.
Chabrier's colorful orchestration is completely lost. The tempo is
quick and the orchestra keeps up well.
Maurice Ravel--Le Tombeau de Couperin (rec. 6-7.XII.41)
I. Prelude (3:03)
II. Forlane (3:14)
III. Menuet (3:20)
IV. Rigaudon (2:23)
Again, this is unfortunately marred by the same boxy sound as the
Chabrier (same sessions, apparently). In the opening, it sounds like
only oboe and clarinet are playing. String balance is just horrible.
The performance is interesting if not great. Kudos to the principle
oboist for handling some quick tempi, especially in the Forlane, while
still sounding comfortable. The Menuet is gorgeous. The Rigaudon
features great solo work.
Edouard Lalo--Overture to Le Roi d'Ys (rec. 2.III.45) (11:14)
Another 'must have.' An underrated work giving a definitive
performance. The numerous wind solos are, of course, beautifully done
and phrasing throughout is wonderful. Recorded sound is very good.
The performance is more expansive than Paul Paray's Detroit S.O.
recording, which boasts much better sound. The dynamic swells in the
fast section and the brass playing are fantastic.
Ravel (arr. Yves Chardon)--Pieces en forme de Habanera (rec. 2.III.45)
(2:28)
To be honest, nothing really special. Chardon's cello playing is nice
but nothing to write home about.
Yves Chardon--Rhumba for Cello and Orchestra (rec. 2.III.45) (1:48)
Pleasant fluff, very fun.
Jules Massenet--Scenes Alsaciennes (Suite for Orchestra No 7) (rec.
11.III.46)
I. Dimance matin (6:03)
II. Au cabaret (4:58)
III. Sous les tilleuls (4:27)
IV. Dimanche soir (5:50)
Not the greatest piece of music in the world, in fact there are many
spots that are downright banal. The performance is a good source of
more wonderful wind solos. Au cabaret shows Mitropoulos as a very
natural waltz conductor. The finale is really irritating in being so
sectional but shows what a precise instrument the Minneapolis
orchestra was--the rhythmic precision is magnificent.

Volume 6--Franck and Chausson LYS 253
Cesar Franck--Symphony in D Minor (Rec. 45)
I. Lento--Allegro non troppo (19:09)
II. Allegretto (9:15)
III. Allegro non troppo (9:28)
The sound in the Franck is very constricted. Dynamic range is pretty
much flat above a certain level. Softs are not ideal either, as one
can immediately hear at the beginning of the piece, where the low
strings are most likely playing a lot quieter than what we hear. The
performance is extraordinary in execution, featuring very strong wind
solos in the slow movement. The coda of the first movement is truly
harrowing, and the second movement brings one of the most graceful
performances in Mitropoulos' discography, at a slightly quicker tempo
than I am used to. The very slight rubato given to the main theme by
the English Horn player is kept throughout the movement and gives a
very pleasant lilt. The horn solo immediately following and its
answer are given with exact attention to the dynamic indications in
the score. In fact, the attention paid to dynamics in this movement
are extraordinary. The middle section is notable for the clarity of
rhythm in the quick string passages and the perfect intonation in the
wind answers. The non troppo indicaiton for the last movement brings
a stately tempo, but the rhythmic punch given to the syncopations in
the main theme provide plenty of momentum. This movement suffers the
worst from the limited dynamic range--the majority of the loud
passages distort or come very close to distortion. The soft passages
feature some tremendous dynamic swells. The return of the big melody
from II. is beautifully done, perfectly balanced in the brass.

I have similar reviews of 4 other volumes in the series and could type
them up if there's interest. Overall, the performancs in the series
are all quite good, the sound quite bad, mostly sounding extremely
artifical, boxy and limited in dynamic range.

On other labels, I'd recommend:

Schmidt, Symphony No. 2/Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht (Vienna PO) on M&A
Schmidt, Book With Seven Seals
Barber, Vanessa
Mozart, Don Giovanni
Brahms, Concerto #1 with Kapell
Prokofiev, R&J selections (NYPO)
Beethoven, Concerto #4 with Rubinstein
Vaughan Williams, Symphony #4 (NYPO)
Mendelssohn, Symphony #3 (any performance)
Shostakovich, Symphony #5 (wonderful on the release with Reiner's
Shosty 6) & 10
Shostakovich, Concert #1 w/ Oistrakh (NYPO)
Prokofiev, Concert #3 (playing and conducting) (Robin Hood Dell)
Menotti, Sebastian Ballet Suite (Robin Hood Dell Orch.)
Strauss, Alpine Symphony (VPO)
Strauss, Symphonia domestica (VPO)
Tchaikovsky, Concerto #1 (Rubinstein, Minneapolis)
Any Mahler recording is at least worth a listen, the M&A box is all
quite wonderful (and sound is listenable to very good throughout)
Kirchner, Concerto #1 (Kirchner, NYPO)
Busoni disc w/ NYPO on M&A
Mennin, Symphony #3 (NYPO)
Sessions, Symphony #2 (NYPO)
Rachmaninoff, Isle of the Dead (his interpretation is definitive for
me)
Collection of Violin Concertos with Francescatti on Sony Masterworks
Heritage

Not very strong:

Prokofiev, Symphony #5 & Shoenberg Violin Concerto with BRSO (sloppy
all-around)
Tchaikovsky, Symphony #5 with NYPO (Sony)
Verdi, Ernani w/ Christoff, Del Monaco, et al. (aural assault sound
quality)
Berg, Wozzeck (maybe just me, sounds horribly sloppy...)
Mozart, Piano concerts 24 & 27 w/ Casadesus (I used to like this, but
a recent listen to 27 left me with a really heavy feeling)
Ravel, Left hand concerto w/ Casadesus
Bach, Brandenburg #5
Most of his Schumann recordings
all issues on "Iron Needle" and "Italian Disc" labels, also "Arkadia"

Cheers,

Marcus Maroney
Richard Bernas
2004-10-07 20:08:08 UTC
(many good suggestions......)
Post by Marcus Maroney
Any Mahler recording is at least worth a listen, the M&A box is all
quite wonderful (and sound is listenable to very good throughout)
Are the M&A transfers any appreciable improvement on the Cetra
releases?
Post by Marcus Maroney
Busoni disc w/ NYPO on M&A
Great performance of the Violin Concerto with Szigeti
which also reminds me of how good his Berg Concerto (also Szigeti) is!
Post by Marcus Maroney
Prokofiev, Symphony #5 & Shoenberg Violin Concerto with BRSO (sloppy
all-around)
Tchaikovsky, Symphony #5 with NYPO (Sony)
Verdi, Ernani w/ Christoff, Del Monaco, et al. (aural assault sound
quality)
A MET broadcast (Milanov/Del Monaco/Warren/Siepi) is a little more
attractive in that respect
Post by Marcus Maroney
Berg, Wozzeck (maybe just me, sounds horribly sloppy...)
Not just you, quite a few of the singers are at sea but so were most
singers of Wozzeck in the early 50s. I was told that Mitropolous
believed in the work so strongly that he financed the recording of Act
3 when Columbia ran out of budget.

Sorry to abridge your excellent list!

Richard
Matthew B. Tepper
2004-10-08 00:07:08 UTC
***@aol.com (Richard Bernas) appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:395a4e39.0410071208.3a0a03b4
Great performance of the Violin Concerto with Szigeti which also reminds
me of how good his Berg Concerto (also Szigeti) is!
I'm astonished to note that I've never owned a CD transfer of this, even
though I had at least three different LP editions, all issued by the Bruno
Walter Society, all with different contents on Side "B." Which CD issues
might be recommendable of this particular broadcast?
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Richard Bernas
2004-10-08 06:58:01 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Great performance of the Violin Concerto with Szigeti which also reminds
me of how good his Berg Concerto (also Szigeti) is!
I'm astonished to note that I've never owned a CD transfer of this, even
though I had at least three different LP editions, all issued by the Bruno
Walter Society, all with different contents on Side "B." Which CD issues
might be recommendable of this particular broadcast?
Good question; I have a Fonit Cetra vinyl of it myself - the other
side is E. Kleiber's Wozzeck fragments - and have never seen it on CD.

Richard
Peter Schenkman
2004-10-08 12:11:05 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
letters to be typed in news:395a4e39.0410071208.3a0a03b4
Great performance of the Violin Concerto with Szigeti which also reminds
me of how good his Berg Concerto (also Szigeti) is!
I'm astonished to note that I've never owned a CD transfer of this, even
though I had at least three different LP editions, all issued by the Bruno
Walter Society, all with different contents on Side "B." Which CD issues
might be recommendable of this particular broadcast?
I know that it was on the 10 disc box that TIM issued, available (or
was) from Berkshire for about $20.00. The transfers were a very iffy
proposition. I seem to recall seeing it elsewhere but off the top of
my head I can't say with certainty.

Peter Schenkman
Alan Cooper
2004-10-08 13:04:14 UTC
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:07:08 GMT, "Matthew B. Tepper"
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
letters to be typed in news:395a4e39.0410071208.3a0a03b4
Great performance of the Violin Concerto with Szigeti which also reminds
me of how good his Berg Concerto (also Szigeti) is!
I'm astonished to note that I've never owned a CD transfer of this, even
though I had at least three different LP editions, all issued by the Bruno
Walter Society, all with different contents on Side "B." Which CD issues
might be recommendable of this particular broadcast?
The first issue of the BWS LP, this performance of the Berg Concerto
b/w Szigeti playing Mozart's Concerto #3 cond. by Bruno Walter, was
the free bonus sent to charter members of the Society. I still have
it ;-) As for CD issues, I am pleased with Lys 067 ("Joseph Szigeti,
Volume 1"), which includes both the Berg Concerto and the Bloch
Concerto cond. by Munch. You would have to turn up a second-hand
copy, I suppose.

AC
Matthew B. Tepper
2004-10-08 15:47:20 UTC
Post by Alan Cooper
[...]
The real killer is that all three Bruno Walter Society issues of the Berg had
the same catalogue number, BWS-701. Let me clarify for future discographers
and crazy completists:

As you correctly note, the coupling on the first such issue was Mozart's
Violin Concerto #3, K. 216, as you state. The second had three items as the
"B" side: JS Bach Violin Concerto in G Minor (arrangement of BWV. 1056),
Mitropoulos/NYP-SO from 1949; the "Lassu" from Bartok's Rhapsody #1, cond.
Abravanel; and Berlioz' "Révérie et Caprice" cond. Monteux. The third issue
had Mozart's Concerto #5, K. 219, with Ormandy/Philadelphia, from 1943. (At
one point I posted that there was a K. 218 on one of the issues, but I was
confusing this with the commercial recording with Beecham for some reason.)

The Lys CD might be a worthwhile find for me, as currently I have this
Szigeti/Munch studio version of the Bloch concerto on a Symposium CD which
needlessly duplicates the Brahms concerto with Harty/Hallé. There is also a
live performance with Mengelberg, variously available including M&A's 4-CD
Szigeti Centenary box; and also one with Beecham/LPO, which so far as I know
has only ever been available as a Beecham Society LP. Interestingly, all
three Szigeti Blochs are from the same year, 1939.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
JRsnfld
2004-10-08 07:21:38 UTC
Just recently I was listening to Mitropoulos's Beethoven Missa Solemnis on
Archipel and was completely won over by the unabashed vigor of it all...also
was won over by his superb Brahms 2/Beethoven 2 on Tahra. I didn't like his
Brahms 3/4 as much (on Arkadia), but I feel that Mitropoulos is a much
underrated conductor of this well traveled repertoire. He wasn't just a
specialist in modern and late romantic works.

--Jeff
Alex Rigas

FDR
Jonathan Yungkans
2004-10-09 12:01:41 UTC
Post by Alex Rigas
After all the reactions to your message I would again stress Borodin's
2nd symphony recorded twice (MSO and NYPO), both studio both
excellent!
Yes. Also Tchikovsky's 1st orchestral suite, which was on LP with the
NY Borodin 2nd, and a hair-raising Khatchaturian piano concert with
Oscar Levant as soloist.

jy
gggg gggg
2023-04-13 16:06:53 UTC