More Klemperer boxes on the way....
wkasimer
2012-11-05 20:51:31 UTC
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings). The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.

January:
Brahms Symphonies and Overtures, Requiem (4 discs)
Concertos (6 discs)
Mozart Symphonies, Overtures, Serenades (8 discs)

March:
Mozart Operas (11 discs)
20th Century Music (4 discs, including a "bonus audio documentary").

Bill
Gerard
2012-11-05 22:00:30 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings). The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.
What are the "Romantic" sets?
Post by wkasimer
Brahms Symphonies and Overtures, Requiem (4 discs)
Concertos (6 discs)
Do you know which concertos?
Recommended blindly.
wkasimer
2012-11-05 22:16:23 UTC
Post by Gerard
What are the "Romantic" sets?
http://www.amazon.com/Romantic-Symphonies-Otto-Klemperer/dp/B008YKRRIQ
Post by Gerard
Post by wkasimer
Concertos (6 discs)
Do you know which concertos?
No. If I knew anything more about the contents, I'd have posted it.

Bill
Gerard
Thanks.
wagnerfan
2012-11-06 00:11:53 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by wkasimer
Concertos (6 discs)
Do you know which concertos?
No. If I knew anything more about the contents, I'd have posted it.
Bill
The cover of the bx shows Concertos by Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms,
Schumann and Liszt with soloists Daniel Barenboim, Anne Fischer and
David Oistrakh.

Note also that the Beethoven Symphony box due out tomorrow has all of
the Beethoven symphonies he recorded for EMI including mono and stereo
versions

Wagner Fan
Steve de Mena
2012-11-06 06:32:34 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings). The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.
20th Century Music (4 discs, including a "bonus audio documentary").
Wonder if that will include his own Symphony that I believe was
coupled on a 2CD set with the Mahler 7th (OOP and pricey)?

Steve
wkasimer
2012-11-06 15:11:19 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Wonder if that will include his own Symphony that I believe was
coupled on a 2CD set with the Mahler 7th (OOP and pricey)?
His name is listed among the composers on the cover, so I'm guessing
that it will be included. BTW, the 2CD set has become a littleless
pricey on the used market since they issued the Mahler 7 in the cheap
box. Still overpriced, and I'm guessing that once these new boxes see
the light of day, they'll be giving them away, except to those buyers
who insist upon copies without an IFPI code.

Bill
Steve de Mena
2012-11-07 05:42:38 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Steve de Mena
Wonder if that will include his own Symphony that I believe was
coupled on a 2CD set with the Mahler 7th (OOP and pricey)?
His name is listed among the composers on the cover, so I'm guessing
that it will be included.
They'll probably include his shorter (and delightful) "Merry Waltz"
from his opera "Das Ziel". (I'll guess they'll include this CD
verbatim: http://amzn.to/WyhDrN )

Steve
Matthew B. Tepper
2012-11-07 15:00:29 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by Steve de Mena
Wonder if that will include his own Symphony that I believe was
coupled on a 2CD set with the Mahler 7th (OOP and pricey)?
His name is listed among the composers on the cover, so I'm guessing
that it will be included.
They'll probably include his shorter (and delightful) "Merry Waltz"
from his opera "Das Ziel". (I'll guess they'll include this CD
verbatim: http://amzn.to/WyhDrN )
Steve
I imagine they will do exactly that. BTW, how is the Stravinsky? Anyone?
--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
Kerrison
2012-11-07 15:41:10 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by wkasimer
Post by Steve de Mena
Wonder if that will include his own Symphony that I believe was
coupled on a 2CD set with the Mahler 7th (OOP and pricey)?
His name is listed among the composers on the cover, so I'm guessing
that it will be included.
They'll probably include his shorter (and delightful) "Merry Waltz"
from his opera "Das Ziel".  (I'll guess they'll include this CD
verbatim:  http://amzn.to/WyhDrN)
Steve
I imagine they will do exactly that.  BTW, how is the Stravinsky?  Anyone?
--
Matthew B. Tepper:  WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here:http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
Someone has uploaded Klemperer's Philharmonia recordings of
Tchaikovsky's last three symphonies, all complete, on You Tube, so
that's a convenient way to find out what they're like. Also the first
movement (only, it seems) of the Shostakovich No. 9 broadcast with the
RAI Turin Orchestra which was not a band of Philharmonia standard.
Matthew B. Tepper
wkasimer
2012-11-06 15:13:50 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings).  The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.
Brahms Symphonies and Overtures, Requiem (4 discs)
Concertos (6 discs)
Mozart Symphonies, Overtures, Serenades (8 discs)
Mozart Operas (11 discs)
20th Century Music (4 discs, including a "bonus audio documentary").
I should have turned the page - later in 2013 (month not indicated):

The Mahler recordings (6 CD's, presumably identical to the cheap box
currently available).
Wagner and Strauss (5 CD's)
Bach, Rameau, Handel, Gluck and Haydn (8 CD).

Bill
Kerrison
2012-11-07 00:41:33 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by wkasimer
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings).  The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.
Brahms Symphonies and Overtures, Requiem (4 discs)
Concertos (6 discs)
Mozart Symphonies, Overtures, Serenades (8 discs)
Mozart Operas (11 discs)
20th Century Music (4 discs, including a "bonus audio documentary").
The Mahler recordings (6 CD's, presumably identical to the cheap box
currently available).
Wagner and Strauss (5 CD's)
Bach, Rameau, Handel, Gluck and Haydn (8 CD).
Bill
Just as a matter of interest, where in all these Klemperer boxes are
his recordings of any of the works of Elgar, Sibelius, Shostakovich,
Verdi, Rachmaninov, Holst, Saint-Saens, Bizet, Vaughan Williams, etc.
etc.? Talk about a one-trick Teutonic pony.
Gerard
Do you mean that his Shostakovich 9 is not included?
Kerrison
2012-11-07 12:22:24 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Kerrison
Post by wkasimer
Post by wkasimer
[...]
No, because it wasn't an EMI recording with the Philharmonia
Orchestra.
wade
Klemperer didn't record anything by any of these composers for EMI, at least from the point of his recording contract in the middle 1950s.
wkasimer
2012-11-07 18:08:22 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Just as a matter of interest, where in all these Klemperer boxes are
his recordings of any of the works of Elgar, Sibelius, Shostakovich,
Verdi, Rachmaninov, Holst, Saint-Saens, Bizet, Vaughan Williams, etc.
etc.? Talk about a one-trick Teutonic pony.
Right - we'd have been much better off if Klemperer had conducted (and
recorded) lots of music in which he had little interest.

If you want musical gluttony, there's always Karajan or Solti...

Bill
Kerrison
2012-11-07 18:37:19 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Kerrison
Just as a matter of interest, where in all these Klemperer boxes are
his recordings of any of the works of Elgar, Sibelius, Shostakovich,
Verdi, Rachmaninov, Holst, Saint-Saens, Bizet, Vaughan Williams, etc.
etc.? Talk about a one-trick Teutonic pony.
Right - we'd have been much better off if Klemperer had conducted (and
recorded) lots of music in which he had little interest.
If you want musical gluttony, there's always Karajan or Solti...
Bill
Yes, and if you want the same old Austro-Germanic stodge, Klemps is
your man, churning it out in ever slower recyclings until his tempos
verged on the grotesque. You'd never believe from this pathetic
performance on You Tube that the Beethoven 7th finale is marked
"Allegro con brio." Probably just as well he kept off those other non-
teutonic composers after all, if he were to subject them to the kind
of interminable slog that poor old LvB was subjected to ...

wkasimer
2012-11-07 20:28:26 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Yes, and if you want the same old Austro-Germanic stodge, Klemps is
your man, churning it out in ever slower recyclings until his tempos
verged on the grotesque.
So in other words, you really couldn't care less what Klemperer
recorded, and are just taking the opportunity to do a little Klemperer-
bashing.

Welcome to RMO.

Bill
Johannes Roehl
2012-11-08 08:51:02 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by wkasimer
Post by Kerrison
Just as a matter of interest, where in all these Klemperer boxes are
his recordings of any of the works of Elgar, Sibelius, Shostakovich,
Verdi, Rachmaninov, Holst, Saint-Saens, Bizet, Vaughan Williams, etc.
etc.? Talk about a one-trick Teutonic pony.
Right - we'd have been much better off if Klemperer had conducted (and
recorded) lots of music in which he had little interest.
If you want musical gluttony, there's always Karajan or Solti...
Yes, and if you want the same old Austro-Germanic stodge, Klemps is
your man, churning it out in ever slower recyclings until his tempos
verged on the grotesque. You'd never believe from this pathetic
performance on You Tube that the Beethoven 7th finale is marked
It seems quite unfair to judge Klemperer mainly for the EMI recordings
he did while in his 70ties and 80ties, often in ill health. I think it
is nothing short of amazing how good many of them are, considering his
age and frailty.
There are not many earlier recordings, but certainly his repertoire was
far wider than "teutonic" stuff in the '20ties and '30ties. t the "Kroll
Opera" in Berlin he was conducting mainly contemporary music and even
from the fifties there are some broadcast recordings of works that were
far from mainstream back then (like Janaceks Sinfonietta). An Mahler
wasn't mainstream either in the '50ties.

For French bonbons and British bores there's always Beecham and others.
I am quite glad that the old Klemp focussed on what he knew and did best
(i.e. stodgy Teutonics) instead of wasting time with Holst or Saint
Saens. (Shostakovich was mostly ignored in the west until the '80ties or so)
Lena
2012-11-15 11:23:06 UTC
Post by Johannes Roehl
Post by Kerrison
Post by wkasimer
Post by Kerrison
[...]
I just want to add my unnecessary cents to this and say that the view
above is obviously a pretty major caricature. Mr. Kerrison probably
just had a bad day...

And as you say, Klemperer can be very good, even in his slow
recyclings. Of all that "teutonic stodge" repertoire. :)
Unfortunately (or fortunately), it's kind of hard to get around the
idea that, without the "stodge", there would be a pretty serious hole
right in the middle of the repertoire. So afaic, one might as well
just go ahead and call this period of classical music the age of
teutonality... :)

It's not even that long an era, in the wider view of things. So those
opposed to the Great Teutonic Stodge can console themselves by
thinking of all the wonderful -- though also pretty stodgy :) --
French/Flemish repertoire that ruled the earth only a few centuries
earlier...

(I'm not sure who to blame *that* stodge on. For now, I think I'll
blame it on all French, Dutch and Belgian citizens individually and
collectively. :) )

L.
.
John Wiser
2012-11-15 12:31:09 UTC
Post by Lena
It's not even that long an era, in the wider view of things. So those
opposed to the Great Teutonic Stodge can console themselves by
thinking of all the wonderful -- though also pretty stodgy :) --
French/Flemish repertoire that ruled the earth only a few centuries
earlier...
Whoa! Stodge? STODGE?
On the Dufay-Ockeghem axis?
That must remain
in the 'ole of the behearer,
not in mine.
So don't knock the Ock.

jdw
Alan Cooper
2012-11-15 13:35:37 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Lena
It's not even that long an era, in the wider view of things. So those
opposed to the Great Teutonic Stodge can console themselves by
thinking of all the wonderful -- though also pretty stodgy :) --
French/Flemish repertoire that ruled the earth only a few centuries
earlier...
Whoa! Stodge? STODGE?
On the Dufay-Ockeghem axis?
That must remain
in the 'ole of the behearer,
not in mine.
So don't knock the Ock.
jdw
And didn't we all grow up with the "3 Bs," Binchois, Busnois, and Brumel?

(Here's a great collection, btw: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IIA9GY.)

AC
Matthew B. Tepper
2012-11-15 20:31:53 UTC
Post by Alan Cooper
And didn't we all grow up with the "3 Bs," Binchois, Busnois, and Brumel?
Years ago, Brumel was just a name to me, a composer I had heard of merely
because the science fiction writer Lloyd Biggle, Jr., had written his
dissertation on him, I kid you not. Then I heard one of the recordings of
his Missa Et ecce terrae motus, and I was hooked.
Lena
2012-11-16 12:06:25 UTC
[...]
Post by Alan Cooper
Post by John Wiser
Whoa! Stodge? STODGE?
On the Dufay-Ockeghem axis?
That must remain
in the 'ole of the behearer,
not in mine.
So don't knock the Ock.
jdw
And didn't we all grow up with the "3 Bs," Binchois, Busnois, and Brumel?
Yes, all of us future Renaissance men began our existence as
Renaissance children... :) (Well, actually maybe not, but
whatever. :) )

As a caveat, growing up with Busnois might not be such a good idea for
easily influenced underage types. Too much violence. (Otoh, the
music is excellent.)

L.
jrsnfld
2012-11-16 17:27:40 UTC
Post by Lena
Yes, all of us future Renaissance men began our existence as
Renaissance children... :)   (Well, actually maybe not, but
whatever. :) )
As a caveat, growing up with Busnois might not be such a good idea for
easily influenced underage types.   Too much violence.  (Otoh, the
music is excellent.)
Due to Federal mandates, I endured plenty of bus noise as a child.

--Jeff
John Wiser
2012-11-16 21:27:12 UTC
Post by Lena
As a caveat, growing up with Busnois might not be such a good idea for
easily influenced underage types. Too much violence. (Otoh, the
?> music is excellent.)
?Due to Federal mandates, I endured plenty of bus noise as a child.
How's your Latin?

The Motor Bus

What is this that roareth thus?
Can it be a Motor Bus?
Yes, the smell and hideous hum
Indicat Motorem Bum!
Implet in the Corn and High
Terror me Motoris Bi:
Bo Motori clamitabo
Ne Motore caedar a Bo---
Dative be or Ablative
So thou only let us live:---
Whither shall thy victims flee?
Spare us, spare us, Motor Be!
Thus I sang; and still anigh
Came in hordes Motores Bi,
Et complebat omne forum
Copia Motorum Borum.
How shall wretches live like us
Cincti Bis Motoribus?
Domine, defende nos
Contra hos Motores Bos!
-- Alfred Denis Godley

John Wiser
Jicotea Used Books
PO Box 136
Howells NY 10932-0136 USA
http://www.amazon.com/shops/ceeclef ***@gmail.com
41° 29' 36.06" N 74° 29' 24.84" W
Lena
2012-11-17 11:46:30 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Lena
Post by Lena
[...]
Per prophetas, this Godley seems to have a volume called "Lyra
Frivola" (conveniently just out in 1899). I think I'll try to find
it.

L.
Kip Williams
2012-11-17 14:10:35 UTC
Post by Lena
Post by John Wiser
Post by Lena
Post by Lena
[...]
http://textual.net/access.gutenberg/1/A.D.Godley

Gutenberg has it in several formats, including EPUB, MOBI (Kindle), and
plain text (with and without accents).

Kip W
Matthew B. Tepper
2012-11-17 17:41:33 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Yes, all of us future Renaissance men began our existence as Renaissance
children... :)   (Well, actually maybe not, but whatever. :) )
As a caveat, growing up with Busnois might not be such a good idea for
easily influenced underage types.  Too much violence.  (Otoh, the music is
excellent.)
Due to Federal mandates, I endured plenty of bus noise as a child.
--Jeff
Dang it, guys, can't you spell Busoni correctly? ;--)
Lena
2012-11-16 11:50:19 UTC
Post by John Wiser
It's not even that long an era, in the wider view of things.  So those
opposed to the Great Teutonic Stodge can console themselves by
thinking of all the wonderful -- though also pretty stodgy :) --
French/Flemish repertoire that ruled the earth only a few centuries
earlier...
Whoa! Stodge? STODGE?
On the Dufay-Ockeghem axis?
That must remain
in the 'ole of the behearer,
not in mine.
So don't knock the Ock.
Not at all knocking -- me, I like "stodge" (of every
nationality :) ).

Lena
2012-11-16 14:22:28 UTC
In article
Post by Lena
Post by John Wiser
It's not even that long an era, in the wider view of things.  So those
opposed to the Great Teutonic Stodge can console themselves by
thinking of all the wonderful -- though also pretty stodgy :) --
French/Flemish repertoire that ruled the earth only a few centuries
earlier...
Whoa! Stodge? STODGE?
On the Dufay-Ockeghem axis?
That must remain
in the 'ole of the behearer,
not in mine.
So don't knock the Ock.
Not at all knocking -- me, I like "stodge" (of every
nationality :) ).
I think that nickname is going to stick, like "Fluffy's" did.

-Owen
William Sommerwerck
2012-11-17 15:11:08 UTC
Post by Lena
And as you say, Klemperer can be very good, even in his slow
recyclings of all that "teutonic stodge" repertoire. :)
Is that true? I've never cared for his late-career, Beethoven, but hi Brahms
is fine, and hardly "stodgy".
Al Eisner
2012-11-09 00:07:26 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by wkasimer
Post by wkasimer
[...]
Four of the nine composers on the Romantic Symphonies box are not
German or Austrian (unless you want to count Dvorak as Teutonic).
Al Eisner
D***@aol.com
2012-11-15 21:46:49 UTC
On Nov 6, 6:41 pm, Kerrison <kerrison126-***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Kerrison
Just as a matter of interest, where in all these Klemperer boxes are
his recordings of any of the works of Elgar, Sibelius, Shostakovich,
Verdi, Rachmaninov, Holst, Saint-Saens, Bizet, Vaughan Williams, etc.
etc.? Talk about a one-trick Teutonic pony.
Well...these are EMI boxes...and Klemperer never recorded any music
by those composers for them. Anyone who knows about him knows that.
His recordings elsewhere of music by Debussy, Ravel, Gershwin, and
Offenbach evidently aren't included either. Or were you just being
jocose?

Don Tait
Ray Hall
2012-11-16 00:31:10 UTC
Post by D***@aol.com
[snip]
Post by Kerrison
Just as a matter of interest, where in all these Klemperer boxes are
his recordings of any of the works of Elgar, Sibelius, Shostakovich,
Verdi, Rachmaninov, Holst, Saint-Saens, Bizet, Vaughan Williams, etc.
etc.? Talk about a one-trick Teutonic pony.
Well...these are EMI boxes...and Klemperer never recorded any music
by those composers for them. Anyone who knows about him knows that.
His recordings elsewhere of music by Debussy, Ravel, Gershwin, and
Offenbach evidently aren't included either. Or were you just being
jocose?
Don Tait
I have a Klemperer cassette taken from a Fonit Cetra recording taken
from a performance in Turin (21Dec1956), of Haydn 101 (Clock),
Shostakovich No.9, and Stravinsky Pulcinella (1949).

I have never heard a better Shosty 9, and the Stravinsky is hugely
'earthy'. Goes to show that Klemps could be dynamite when younger and
especially in 20th century repertoire.

Ray Hall, Taree
M forever
2012-11-15 23:04:21 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by wkasimer
Post by wkasimer
[...]
I see symphonies by Dvorak, Franck, Tchaikovsky, Berlioz - are those
all "Teutonic" composers? Even in the "Teutonic" repertoire, Klemperer
conducted the music of a wide variety of composers - how does make him
a "one-trick pony"?
g***@gmail.com
2018-03-11 06:46:40 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings). The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.
Brahms Symphonies and Overtures, Requiem (4 discs)
Concertos (6 discs)
Mozart Symphonies, Overtures, Serenades (8 discs)
Mozart Operas (11 discs)
20th Century Music (4 discs, including a "bonus audio documentary").
Bill
Otto Klemperer (upcoming radio program):

https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
g***@gmail.com
2018-03-24 06:16:55 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by wkasimer
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings). The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.
Brahms Symphonies and Overtures, Requiem (4 discs)
Concertos (6 discs)
Mozart Symphonies, Overtures, Serenades (8 discs)
Mozart Operas (11 discs)
20th Century Music (4 discs, including a "bonus audio documentary").
Bill
https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
Otto Klemperer III & IV (upcoming radio programs)

https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
g***@gmail.com
2018-04-02 06:51:08 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by wkasimer
Just received my copy of the reissued Don Giovanni (including
rehearsal recordings). The rather skimpy booklet does provide
information about some upcoming sets. In addition to the Bruckner,
Beethoven, and "Romantic" sets due out this month, there are more
coming out.
Brahms Symphonies and Overtures, Requiem (4 discs)
Concertos (6 discs)
Mozart Symphonies, Overtures, Serenades (8 discs)
Mozart Operas (11 discs)
20th Century Music (4 discs, including a "bonus audio documentary").
Bill
https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
Otto Klemperer III & IV (upcoming radio programs)
https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
Recent Youtube upload:

Otto Klemperer: Closer to Bach Than We Think?