Schumann's Carnaval
Andy Evans
2006-12-08 13:10:41 UTC
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
frankwm
2006-12-08 13:33:15 UTC
My favourite 'Carnaval' ??
Quite a wide range of 'styles' are apparent in the fair number of
recordings I have..
For a straight first choice I'd not hesitate to alight on Sergio
Fiorentino - the 1965 Guildford Town Hall session - my copy on (LP)
Revelution RCB 23.
I'm not a constant admirer of his style - but this recording is (for
me) difficult to fault.
Dazzling fingerwork - wide dynamic's employed - extremely subtle tonal
variation and nuancing.

Probably now available on The Joyce Hatto Fanclub CD label (Concert
Artists).
Andy Evans
2006-12-08 16:21:03 UTC
Who can comment on which pressing of the Rachmaninov - there's one in a
Brilliant Classics box for instance - anything else better?
Josep Vilanova
2006-12-08 14:20:33 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
My favourite is, so far, Cortot. I imprinted on Michelangeli, and
although I still like it I don't listen to it too frequently nowadays.

JohnGavin
2006-12-08 15:00:34 UTC
Post by Josep Vilanova
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
My favourite is, so far, Cortot. I imprinted on Michelangeli, and
although I still like it I don't listen to it too frequently nowadays.
I grew up with the Cortot - Michelangeli is still my favorite. Hess is
very good, and among the younger set, Hamelin's is very good.
fha.jonkers
2006-12-08 15:00:27 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
I do not like the Rachmaninoff that much. Too much about speed and
weird characterization, imo. Give me Cortot any day, or Arrau 1939.
Henk van Tuijl
2006-12-08 16:26:36 UTC
"Andy Evans"
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing
this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody
else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version
of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then -
the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've
heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
The best version of Rachmaninov I have
is in the GPOC. Favourites are (OTTOMH)
Cortot (perhaps even more than
Rachmaninov and among the living
Hamelin. Other favourites are Ginzburg
(on a horrible instrument with a noisy
audience)and Magaloff (who introduced me
to Carnaval).

Henk
graham
2006-12-08 17:11:30 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
I imprinted on Solomon, now on Testament SBT 1084.
Graham
M. B.
2006-12-08 18:20:08 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
My favorite is Nelson Freire (Decca) for his vivid characterization and
fabulous musicality, together with first-rate pianism. Kissin (RCA) is
also impressive, but sometimes too harsh and unsensitive.

M.B.
b***@yahoo.com
2006-12-09 02:00:28 UTC
Post by M. B.
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
My favorite is Nelson Freire (Decca) for his vivid characterization and
fabulous musicality, together with first-rate pianism. Kissin (RCA) is
also impressive, but sometimes too harsh and unsensitive.
M.B.
You needn't bother slagging one off, because they're both bad in this.
Their sound and style may play well in the Long Branch Saloon, but not
in any reputable recital hall.

Michelangeli and Gavrilov are two that are on target.
tomdeacon
2006-12-09 19:11:42 UTC
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by M. B.
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
My favorite is Nelson Freire (Decca) for his vivid characterization and
fabulous musicality, together with first-rate pianism. Kissin (RCA) is
also impressive, but sometimes too harsh and unsensitive.
M.B.
You needn't bother slagging one off, because they're both bad in this.
Their sound and style may play well in the Long Branch Saloon, but not
in any reputable recital hall.
Clearly Boris may be "good enough" for Calgary, where the citizenry
knows more about saloons than he does about Carnaval.

But it's really not good enough for RMCR.
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Michelangeli and Gavrilov are two that are on target.
QED.

TD
graham
2006-12-09 20:46:01 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by M. B.
Post by Andy Evans
[...]
Careful, Tom!! We're not all hicks!
Graham
TD
tomdeacon
2006-12-10 14:39:30 UTC
Post by graham
Post by tomdeacon
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by M. B.
Post by Andy Evans
[...]
Unless proof exists, we assume, however, that you are.

TD
TD
w***@hotmail.com
2006-12-09 23:20:08 UTC
Post by b***@yahoo.com
M.B.You needn't bother slagging one off, because they're both bad in this.
Their sound and style may play well in the Long Branch Saloon, but not
in any reputable recital hall.
Nonsense! I heard Freire several times in Carnaval live in their was
absolutely NOTHING wrong with his sound!
I agree that Kissin (whom I also heard live in Carnaval) sounded harsh
and pecussive, but again, he had no trouble being heard ....

W.
Matt
2006-12-08 22:28:50 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available?
I prefer the Andante remastering (in the Schumann set) to the RCA complete
Rachmaninov. It's noisier, but you hear a lot more of Rachmaninov along
with the surface noise. Of course, the answer to your question depends on
your noise reduction philosophy and how much crackle are you willing to
tolerate.

Regards,
Matt
MrT
2006-12-10 14:33:11 UTC
I don't like the Rachmaninov recording. My favorites for this work are
Cortot, Fiorentino and Nat. Another favorite is a concert performance
by Alicia de Larrocha... unfortunately, her recording for Decca (late
88s) completely let me down: it's well played, as expected, but not at
all thrilling, way too cautious. I wish someone had released that
concert performance or a similarly exciting one.

Best,

MrT
Phil Caron
2006-12-08 23:08:46 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available?
Don't know.
Post by Andy Evans
What are your favourites?
In no particular order, Rachmaninoff, Cortot (1923), Hamelin, Solomon.
Sol L. Siegel
2006-12-09 04:44:43 UTC
On 8 Dec 2006 05:10:41 -0800, "Andy Evans"
Post by Andy Evans
What are your favourites?
My imprint was Grigory Sokolov, taped when he was about 16 or 17, from
an old Melodiya/Angel LP. The kid was on fire. I don't think it's
made it to CD, though.

My favorite stereo version that has is Egorov. I'm also fond of both
Rubinsteins. But the rulers remain Cortot (I have him on Biddulph)
and the aforemention Rachmaninov (I supposed my GPOC set will just
have to do for now).

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA
"It may take a village to raise a child - but it only takes one idiot
to burn down the village."
Martin Altschwager
2006-12-09 16:01:24 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
What are your favourites?
My imprint was Grigory Sokolov, taped when he was about 16 or 17,
from an old Melodiya/Angel LP. The kid was on fire. I don't think
it's made it to CD, though.
It did make it to CD, via the Russian Masters label (a small outlet based in
St. Petersburg that has - besides that Sokolov 1969 recital - lots of
Richter from Moscow and some Gilels, Ginsburg). Strangely though, the
Sokolov volume (No. 29) is no longer listed on their website
http://www.trovar.com/rm/, neither is the Ginsburg volume.

Yes, Sokolov was on fire (he was 19 back then), but the sound comes across a
little harsh, at least on CD.

M.A.
Bob Lombard

bl
Martin Altschwager
2006-12-09 16:20:58 UTC
Post by Bob Lombard
St. Petersburg?
Sorry, Kiev.

M.A.
tomdeacon
2006-12-09 19:05:42 UTC
Post by Martin Altschwager
Post by Bob Lombard
St. Petersburg?
Sorry, Kiev.
Same difference.

Both are in lands whose notion of "copyright" is completely
non-existent.

This outfit is a PIRATE!

TD
j***@aol.com
2006-12-09 07:13:10 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
Poor me. I imprinted on someone I don't remember, and then Gavrilov. I
guess he wasn't so bad, actually.

I like Sofronitsky, Michelangeli, Cortot, Solomon, Fiorentino,
Rosen...I guess Nat too, though I can't remember at this point. So no
new leads from me. Same old, same old as everyone else.

--Jeff
Daniel Levenstein
2006-12-09 22:07:48 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
Besides the ones already mentioned, I like Catherine Collard on Lyrinx,
and Geza Anda live on Orfeo. The Anda CD also features a wonderful
Kreisleriana and Symphonic Etudes, though he does have a couple of ugly
memory slips.

Daniel
Thomas Wood
2006-12-12 03:11:13 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
A "dark horse" recording that I've always liked is Alicia deLaroccha on
Decca. She captures the intimate, domestic side of Schumann especially well.

Tom Wood
JohnGavin
2006-12-12 04:33:43 UTC
Post by Thomas Wood
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
A "dark horse" recording that I've always liked is Alicia deLaroccha on
Decca. She captures the intimate, domestic side of Schumann especially well.
Tom Wood
Her live performances of Carnival were far more remarkable than the
recording. Especially from the late 70s onward Alicia DeLarrocha
tended to record a bit too safely, seemingly afraid to let go - there
are some very good things however from that time.
j***@yahoo.com
2006-12-12 06:35:51 UTC
There are actually two commercial recordings by Larrocha of Carnaval:
one from the late 1980's, and one from the late 1970's that I heard is
going to be reissued to CD in the next few months. As some of the
posters have acknowledged here, Larrocha more or less "owned" the piece
in live performance; I never heard it surpassed by anyone either live
or in recording, and distinctly remember her Carnegie Hall performance
from the mid 1980's as part of an all-Schumann recital in which Arthur
Rubinstein's daughter came backstage after the concert (where I was
getting her autograph) and said words to the same effect. Larrocha
also said at the time that it's her favorite Schumann work and in her
opinion the most difficult to play.
d***@aol.com
2006-12-12 07:08:56 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
Rosen's first recording on Epic, which was briefly available on Sony.

-david gable
j***@aol.com
2006-12-12 07:15:37 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
Rosen's first recording on Epic, which was briefly available on Sony.
-david gable
Is the same one I mentioned (I have Rosen on a Sony Essential Classics
CD), or an earlier recording?

--Jeff
d***@aol.com
2006-12-12 07:21:16 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Is the same one I mentioned (I have Rosen on a Sony Essential Classics
CD), or an earlier recording?
Jeff, that is indeed Rosen's Epic recording, the earlier of two.
There's a later recording that made it to CD on Globe.

-david gable
tomdeacon
2006-12-12 11:28:06 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
Rosen's first recording on Epic, which was briefly available on Sony.
Hmmmmmm.

Carnaval in black and white.

TD
Steve Emerson
2006-12-12 20:50:34 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me.
I rather like the Hess recording as well and agree that Sofronitsky's is
not among the best of his Schumann.

My favorites are by Michelangeli, with a particular nod to the
abbreviated Prague performance from 1957 on Multisonic. Rachmaninoff's
is indispensable; OTOH it does make things easy in that just about
anybody else will give you a "different view."

Catherine Collard's is extremely vivid and wonderfully played, calling
on a wider array of pianist's resources than say the Hess performance.
AFAIC, of the post-ABM recordings, this would be the one to have.

SE.
tomdeacon
2006-12-12 21:09:48 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Andy Evans
[...]
My own experience is that what is called "pianistic resources", i.e.
the ability to play loud and fast, or soft and slow or any combination
of the above, as well as to display a wide variety of touches, doesn't
always bring this piece to life. Examples abound of pianists who are in
possession of vast such resources but whose imagination, or soul, or
other more intangible elements are woefully lacking.

SR captivates, of course, but then Cortot can steel your heart.

In any event this piece has been on a greased slide in my estimation,
particularly when compared to Schumann's masterpiece, which I now feel
to be the Davidsbundlertanze. Even the Fantasy doesn't match that work,
wonderful as it is, specially the final movement. Carnaval is fun. But
Davidsbundlertanze is not simply an amusement; it reveals the very
essence of Schumann the human being. And here again pianistic resources
are needed and inabundance, but without a sense for the poetry in
Schumann's writing, it doesn't amount to much of anything at all.

Which is why I tend to discard ABM in Schumann's music. Too much craft
and not enough soul.

Not a lot has been said about Freire's Carnaval (perhaps few here have
actually heard it?). It seems to me to strike a fine balance among
contemporary readings of this music. I do long, however, to hear Freire
venture beyond the Papillons, Etudes Syphoniques, Fantasy, and Carnaval
to hear him plumb the depths of David's Dances.

TD
JohnGavin
2006-12-12 21:40:08 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
SR captivates, of course, but then Cortot can steel your heart.
Are you saying that Cortot turns the listener's heart into steel - as
in stainless steel?? I thought like LIKED Cortot.
The soul is there - you have to go deeper within to hear it.
Steve Emerson
2006-12-12 22:50:12 UTC
In article <***@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com>,
"tomdeacon" <***@mac.com> wrote:

[...]
Post by tomdeacon
In any event this piece has been on a greased slide in my estimation,
particularly when compared to Schumann's masterpiece, which I now feel
to be the Davidsbundlertanze. Even the Fantasy doesn't match that work,
wonderful as it is, specially the final movement. Carnaval is fun. But
Davidsbundlertanze is not simply an amusement; it reveals the very
essence of Schumann the human being. And here again pianistic resources
are needed and inabundance, but without a sense for the poetry in
Schumann's writing, it doesn't amount to much of anything at all.
I agree in that I don't think Carnaval is among the greatest of the
works. Nothing approaching Kreisleriana or the Fantasy. And the Carnaval
has certainly been well served in recordings.

The Catherine Collard Davidsbundlertanze btw is just as noteworthy as
its discmate Carnaval.
Post by tomdeacon
Which is why I tend to discard ABM in Schumann's music. Too much craft
and not enough soul.
It can seem that way, but that's not at all my feeling about the early
performances -- than which not much more need be said.
Post by tomdeacon
Not a lot has been said about Freire's Carnaval (perhaps few here have
actually heard it?). It seems to me to strike a fine balance among
contemporary readings of this music. I do long, however, to hear Freire
venture beyond the Papillons, Etudes Syphoniques, Fantasy, and Carnaval
to hear him plumb the depths of David's Dances.
I haven't heard it but will keep an eye open, being a great admirer of
his Fantasy, Etudes Symphoniques, and concerto. Did the Carnaval ever
get onto a CD? AFAIK his Liszt sonata among other things has not.

SE.
Steve Emerson
2006-12-12 23:04:01 UTC
Did the [Freire] Carnaval ever get onto a CD?
Never mind, I see this is a recent digital recording.

SE.
d***@aol.com
2006-12-13 18:44:04 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
I agree in that I don't think Carnaval is among the greatest of the
works.
I disagree. I think Carnaval is one of the three greatest Schumann
piano works along with the Fantasy and the Davidsb�ndlert�nze
although the latter is the greatest of them all. Carnaval suffers from
overexposure, but the overexposure is a function of its extraordinary
viability, the brilliance with which the manic fragments sum to a
convincing and actual whole. The eccentric technique that made the
more complex and ambiguous Davidsb�ndlert�nze possible is already in
full bloom in Carnaval, and any of its movements could easily have come
from the Davidsb�ndlert�nze.

-david gable
Steve Emerson
2006-12-14 02:31:21 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by Steve Emerson
I agree in that I don't think Carnaval is among the greatest of the
works.
I disagree. I think Carnaval is one of the three greatest Schumann
piano works along with the Fantasy and the Davidsb?ndlert?nze
although the latter is the greatest of them all. Carnaval suffers from
overexposure, but the overexposure is a function of its extraordinary
viability, the brilliance with which the manic fragments sum to a
convincing and actual whole.
I agree about those things. Still, I think the programmatic aspect is
another reason for its popularity; for me though that's a detraction
(not to mention a distraction).
Post by d***@aol.com
The eccentric technique that made the
more complex and ambiguous Davidsb?ndlert?nze possible is already in
full bloom in Carnaval, and any of its movements could easily have come
from the Davidsb?ndlert?nze.
If it helps any, I don't include the Davidsbundlertanze among the
greatest either.

Complexity and ambiguity incidentally are in rather long supply
throughout Schumann. Humoreske, Symphonic Etudes, Waldszenen. Anyway I
thoroughly enjoy practically all of his piano music. Op. 4, Op. 32, the
sonatas, Nachtstucke, Bunte Blatter, in addition to the more conspicuous
works. You too, I imagine.

SE.
M. B.
2006-12-16 09:17:25 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by tomdeacon
Not a lot has been said about Freire's Carnaval (perhaps few here have
actually heard it?). It seems to me to strike a fine balance among
contemporary readings of this music. I do long, however, to hear Freire
venture beyond the Papillons, Etudes Syphoniques, Fantasy, and Carnaval
to hear him plumb the depths of David's Dances.
I haven't heard it but will keep an eye open, being a great admirer of
his Fantasy, Etudes Symphoniques, and concerto. Did the Carnaval ever
get onto a CD? AFAIK his Liszt sonata among other things has not.
SE.
Actually the Carnaval was published three times already - twice on CD,
once on LP. The first Carnaval is part of a live recital in Rio de
Janeiro, given on September 19, 1980; however, that particular CD is
difficult (but not impossible) to obtain - I have already seen it up at
amazon.de for example. It also contains some Scriabin, Rachmaninov and
Albeniz. The second CD manifestation is of course his recent recording
for Decca that should be easily available anywhere and that is in my
opinion preferable to the live recital - greater depth, more details
and superior sound, of course. Then there is Freire's old recording for
CBS (now Sony) from the 1960s (1964 I believe) that has never been
transferred to CD (neither has his Liszt sonata - a real pity). Great
playing there, too, but of course very difficult to obtain (I found my
copy on eBay).

M.B.
d***@aol.com
2006-12-13 18:53:17 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is fun. But
Davidsbundlertanze is not simply an amusement
Carnaval is "not simply an amusement," and neither is any other
Schumann piano piece. The Davidsbündlertänze are the greatest of all
the Schumann sets, but let's not underesimate Carnaval just because
we've heard it too many times.

-david gable
Ian Pace
2006-12-13 19:04:41 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is fun. But
Davidsbundlertanze is not simply an amusement
Carnaval is "not simply an amusement," and neither is any other
Schumann piano piece. The Davidsbündlertänze are the greatest of all
the Schumann sets, but let's not underesimate Carnaval just because
we've heard it too many times.

-david gable

How would you rate the Kreisleriana or the Humoreske, two of my favourites?

Ian
d***@aol.com
2006-12-13 18:57:14 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
How would you rate the Kreisleriana or the Humoreske, two of my favourites?
Highly, and especially the Kreisleriana.

-david gable
MrT
2006-12-13 18:59:26 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is fun. But
Davidsbundlertanze is not simply an amusement
Carnaval is "not simply an amusement," and neither is any other
Schumann piano piece. The Davidsbündlertänze are the greatest of all
the Schumann sets, but let's not underesimate Carnaval just because
we've heard it too many times.
-david gable
How would you rate the Kreisleriana or the Humoreske, two of my favourites?
Wonderful, both of them. The Kreisleriana is mysterious even for
Schumann. I do wish more pianists would program the Humoreske. The nice
thing about Schumann is that you can never fully understand or "get"
his pieces completely. At least, that's true for me. I never get tired
of his music (even the symphonies, which don't have such a hot
reputation).

Best,

MrT
d***@aol.com
2006-12-13 19:26:30 UTC
Post by MrT
I never get tired
of his music (even the symphonies, which don't have such a hot
reputation).
If you're that much of a Schumann addict, Mr. T, I hope you'll
track down the Szenen aus Göthes Faust. Somehow much of it doesn't
manage to "take off," and it's certainly not on the same exalted
level throughout, but two of the scenes are magnificent beyond all
imagining, among the greatest things Schumann ever wrote:

Ariel; Sonnenaufgang
Fausts Tod

I've got two recordings, both of which I like: Britten's studio
recording and a live performance with Boulez. Britten and Boulez both
have or had a special affection for this sprawling piece, and both turn
in reasonably vivid performances. Fischer-Dieskau is Faust for both of
them, and I usually can't stand his fussy and mannered projection of
the text, but, in the scene of Faust's death, his identification with
Goethe's poetry is so total and unaffected as to win me over
entirely. Not that the voice is in perfect shape either time out, but
who cares? In any case, the music Schumann supplies here is entirely
worthy of Goethe.

-david gable
Henk van Tuijl
2006-12-13 19:02:25 UTC
On Dec 12, 4:09 pm, "tomdeacon"
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is fun. But
Davidsbundlertanze is not simply an
amusement
Carnaval is "not simply an amusement,"
and neither is any other
Schumann piano piece. The
Davidsbündlertänze are the greatest of
all
the Schumann sets, but let's not
underesimate Carnaval just because
we've heard it too many times.
-david gable
How would you rate the Kreisleriana or
the Humoreske, two of my favourites?
And mine! I prefer them to Carnaval and
the Fantasy.

Henk
Steve Emerson
2006-12-14 02:32:16 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
How would you rate the Kreisleriana or the Humoreske, two of my favourites?
They're certainly among mine.

SE.
JohnGavin
2006-12-16 14:35:10 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is fun. But
Davidsbundlertanze is not simply an amusement
Carnaval is "not simply an amusement," and neither is any other
Schumann piano piece. The Davidsbündlertänze are the greatest of all
the Schumann sets, but let's not underesimate Carnaval just because
we've heard it too many times.
-david gable
Part of the reason for Carnaval's popularity over the others is that it
works better as concert music in large halls. Kreisleriana and
especially Davidsbundlertanze are more intimate on the whole - harder
to project to big audiences in a live situation. My hunch is, if you
research recital programs from the 1920s to the end of the century,
Carnaval would probably appear 5 to 10 times more frequently on recital
programs than the others, with the Fantasy being the second most
frequently programmed.
d***@aol.com
2006-12-16 22:21:20 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Part of the reason for Carnaval's popularity over the others is that it
works better as concert music in large halls.
If so, it has nothing to do with sound (assuming that's what you're
getting at: I don't think we disagree so much as we come at this
point from different angles). It has to do with the shape of the piece
and the degree of its complexity.

Schumann ultimately imposes a kind of direction on Carnaval that he
withholds from -- refuses to impose on -- its closest companion, the
Davidsbündlertänze, which doesn't even end "properly" and is
followed by melancholy commentary lying outside the larger form.
(We're well on the way to Boulez's notion of form as digression and
reflection in the 3rd Sonata here.) Nevertheless, Carnaval was the
first fully realized masterpiece en route to the even more radical
achievement of the Davidsbündlertänze. Both pieces represent the
moods of the little band of David, and both are collections of short
dance fragments filled with eccentric rhythmic and contrapuntal effects
pasted together to create a larger mosaic: the result is no mere
potpourri as with the many opera overtures in which a number of tunes
from the opera are simply strung together but a radically new kind of
larger form. In the case of Carnaval, the mosaic form built up by a
cinematic shifting from one dance to another ultimately seems to
culminate in the final March. Moreover, the textures in Carnaval are
simpler than the textures in the Davidsbündlertänze: Carnaval not
only has the more conventionally "effective" larger shape, it's
easier to learn to hear. Now that Schumann's style has been thoroughly
assimilated and no longer seems shockingly bizarre and eccentric,
it's difficult to appreciate that only the Davidsbündlertänze among
pieces written according to the same principles was a more radical
achievement than Carnaval.

Beethoven's piano sonatas endured a similar process of assimilation.
For more than a century, the late sonatas were very rarely played and
virtually never on public recitals. The ubiquitous "big" pieces
were the Waldstein and the Appassionata. Carnaval became Schumann's
Waldstein or Appassionata.
Post by JohnGavin
My hunch is, if you
research recital programs from the 1920s to the end of the century,
Carnaval would probably appear 5 to 10 times more frequently on recital
programs than the others
Of course it would. But that doesn't explain why it "works"
better. It proves that Carnaval was easier for pianists to assimilate
than the Davidsbündlertänze. And it proves that Carnaval, uniquely
among Schumann's forms of its type, ultimately has a more traditional
larger shape imposed on it. Schumann has proved both that he can and
that he doesn't have to impose such a larger shape: in Carnaval and
the Davidsbündlertänze respectively.

Nor is the triumph of the Davidsbund in Carnaval as definitive as it
may seem. That mad march in 3 exhibits the triumphant and manic mood
of New Years' Eve revelers wearing party hats and linked in a conga
line after drinking too much champagne: an ephemeral and fleeting mood,
not a definitive triumph. There's a desperate insistence on
triumphant gaiety as the march unfolds that betrays an underlying
anxiety. As the tempo of the march increases toward the end, the
character of the march switches from phrase to phrase, switching
between a forced and manic glee and snatches of genuine if momentary
happiness. The Davidsbündlertänze may not depict the morning after
when everybody is hung over. But it's another more sober occasion
when there's no champagne to wash away the melancholy and hard
truths.

-david gable
tomdeacon
2006-12-17 02:01:31 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
[...]
I have to say that depicting Schumann's pianistic masterpiece as a kind
of post-hangover memento doesn't really serve the composer well.

I am not even sure that Schumann drank!

TD
Bob Lombard
2006-12-17 02:26:49 UTC

Post by d***@aol.com
when everybody is hung over. But it's another more sober occasion
when there's no champagne to wash away the melancholy and hard
truths. >>
Jeez, Tom, you must be skimming excessively.

Mr. Gavin's analysis works for me (and that may alarm him more than your
incomprehension).

bl
Ian Pace
2006-12-17 03:45:26 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
I am not even sure that Schumann drank!
Oh, Schumann liked his tipples all right, especially when he was young. In
the Tagebuch, he referred to a period in February 1830, during which he was
drinking to excess (as was common during the period he was half-heartedly
studying law), as the 'most debauched week of my life', and in March of the
same year said that 'My loathsomeness - drunk out of boredom - very high -
my longing to plunge into the Rhine'. Carnaval was written around 4 years
later, Davidsbundlertaenze 3 years after that - I'm sure at the very least
memories of hangovers from that period would have been vivid in his mind.
During the dispute with Frederick Wieck over marrying Clara, Wieck accused
him of being a drunkard. This was false, and Wieck later withdrew the
accusation, but that Schumann certainly enjoyed beer and wine was well-known
to all who knew him.

Ian
d***@aol.com
2006-12-17 19:56:45 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
I have to say that depicting Schumann's pianistic masterpiece as a kind
of post-hangover memento doesn't really serve the composer well.
I didn't describe it as a kind of post-hangover memento.

-david gable
tomdeacon
2006-12-17 22:56:41 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by tomdeacon
I have to say that depicting Schumann's pianistic masterpiece as a kind
of post-hangover memento doesn't really serve the composer well.
I didn't describe it as a kind of post-hangover memento.
Certainly gave me that impression. Perhaps it was unintended. That
said, if drinking to excess is likely to induce me to write something
like Carnaval, perhaps I should pour myself another Scotch!!!

TD
Edward Jasiewicz
2006-12-17 17:52:49 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Part of the reason for Carnaval's popularity over the others is that it
works better as concert music in large halls.
If so, it has nothing to do with sound (assuming that's what you're
getting at: I don't think we disagree so much as we come at this
point from different angles). It has to do with the shape of the piece
and the degree of its complexity.

Schumann ultimately imposes a kind of direction on Carnaval that he
withholds from -- refuses to impose on -- its closest companion, the
Davidsbündlertänze, which doesn't even end "properly" and is
followed by melancholy commentary lying outside the larger form.

Schnabel used to say the ending of the Davidsbündlertänze, his choice for
Schumann's greatest piece BTW, is the only example of "hinauf" that goes
down instead of up the keyboard.

-Ed
Edward Jasiewicz
2006-12-17 18:03:27 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by JohnGavin
Part of the reason for Carnaval's popularity over the others is that it
works better as concert music in large halls.
If so, it has nothing to do with sound (assuming that's what you're
getting at: I don't think we disagree so much as we come at this
point from different angles). It has to do with the shape of the piece
and the degree of its complexity.
Schumann ultimately imposes a kind of direction on Carnaval that he
withholds from -- refuses to impose on -- its closest companion, the
Davidsbündlertänze, which doesn't even end "properly" and is
followed by melancholy commentary lying outside the larger form.
Schnabel used to say the ending of the Davidsbündlertänze, his choice for
Schumann's greatest piece BTW, is the only example of "hinauf" that goes
down instead of up the keyboard.
Oops. Only that last sentence was mine, despite the response's indication...
(?)
unknown
2006-12-18 01:23:44 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by JohnGavin
Part of the reason for Carnaval's popularity over the others is that it
works better as concert music in large halls.
If so, it has nothing to do with sound (assuming that's what you're
getting at: I don't think we disagree so much as we come at this
point from different angles). It has to do with the shape of the piece
and the degree of its complexity.
Actually, it does have something to do with the sound. Carnaval is,
from a pianist's point of view, easier to project. To a performer, it
feels as if the audience Schumann mentally envisioned for the music,
and the space it inhabited, was a different one.
Post by d***@aol.com
[...]
You're saying that Schumann was anticipating Hollywood?!?!!
Post by d***@aol.com
Moreover, the textures in Carnaval are
simpler than the textures in the Davidsbündlertänze: Carnaval not
only has the more conventionally "effective" larger shape, it's
easier to learn to hear. Now that Schumann's style has been thoroughly
assimilated and no longer seems shockingly bizarre and eccentric,
it's difficult to appreciate that only the Davidsbündlertänze among
pieces written according to the same principles was a more radical
achievement than Carnaval.
Beethoven's piano sonatas endured a similar process of assimilation.
For more than a century, the late sonatas were very rarely played and
virtually never on public recitals. The ubiquitous "big" pieces
were the Waldstein and the Appassionata. Carnaval became Schumann's
Waldstein or Appassionata.
Some of this may be true, but basically you are indulging once again in
your favorite conceit of "only give them enough time and the general
audience will learn to appreciate any difficult thing the artist gives
them". I don't know why you are so enamored of this idea - I mean,
really, who cares, besides yourself? It's not as if the audience has
learned to appreciate that difficult thing in its original context,
which is what would count for something. More often, the case is that
the esthetic sense of the audience has shifted/eroded enough so that
what was originally tough simply no longer matters in the same way as
it once did, which is a far cry from true appreciation, or from some
kind of linear cultural "progress".

And I suspect that if you compare the eventual appreciation of late
Beethoven with some kind of similar process with Schumann, Schumann
will come out the loser, simply because the quality of Schumann's
output generally doesn't match that of Beethoven. It's useless to even
do the comparison. But anyway, they were two very different sorts of
composer, and using their "radicalism" as a bracketing term doesn't
work very well. Just as the most obvious point - much of Schumann's
most radical writing was rather directly based on literary interests
and thinking, but Beethoven didn't seem all that interested in
employing extra-musical processes to create what he created.
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by JohnGavin
My hunch is, if you
research recital programs from the 1920s to the end of the century,
Carnaval would probably appear 5 to 10 times more frequently on recital
programs than the others
Of course it would. But that doesn't explain why it "works"
better. It proves that Carnaval was easier for pianists to assimilate
than the Davidsbündlertänze.
It doesn't "prove" anything about pianists at all. It possibly could
hint at something about audiences and concert management, though.
Pianists (and their management) don't program music depending on what
they've assimilated, but on what they think will work in concert. It's
well known that many pianists have studied, played, and loved music
that they have never presented to the public. Or in some cases, have
presented only once or twice. It has absolutely nothing to do with
their assimilation of the music.

Or maybe it does. Maybe they've assimilated it well enough to know it
doesn't work very well in big public concerts.
Post by d***@aol.com
And it proves that Carnaval, uniquely
among Schumann's forms of its type, ultimately has a more traditional
larger shape imposed on it. Schumann has proved both that he can and
that he doesn't have to impose such a larger shape: in Carnaval and
the Davidsbündlertänze respectively.
Just out of curiosity, what precisely is that "more traditional larger
shape" that Carnaval has imposed on it. Since you say it's
traditional, maybe you could offer some earlier examples of that
tradition. The only thing I can think of that remotely fits is Weber's
Invitation to the Dance, but that single piece is not enough to be a
tradition.
Post by d***@aol.com
Nor is the triumph of the Davidsbund in Carnaval as definitive as it
may seem. That mad march in 3 exhibits the triumphant and manic mood
of New Years' Eve revelers wearing party hats and linked in a conga
line after drinking too much champagne: an ephemeral and fleeting mood,
not a definitive triumph. There's a desperate insistence on
triumphant gaiety as the march unfolds that betrays an underlying
anxiety. As the tempo of the march increases toward the end, the
character of the march switches from phrase to phrase, switching
between a forced and manic glee and snatches of genuine if momentary
happiness. The Davidsbündlertänze may not depict the morning after
when everybody is hung over. But it's another more sober occasion
when there's no champagne to wash away the melancholy and hard
truths.
It's wonderful that you're on a Schumann jag - he's quite worth going
on a jag about.

wr
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 01:51:24 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Of course it would. But that doesn't explain why it "works"
better. It proves that Carnaval was easier for pianists to assimilate
than the Davidsbündlertänze.
WR: It doesn't "prove" anything about pianists at all. It possibly could
Post by d***@aol.com
Or maybe it does. Maybe they've assimilated it well enough to know it
doesn't work very well in big public concerts.

It's surely much more straightforward - Carnaval goes down better in concert
because it has a lot more surface pianistic brilliance than
Davidsbundlertanze.

Ian
d***@aol.com
2006-12-18 04:54:41 UTC
Post by unknown
It doesn't "prove" anything about pianists at all.
You're right, because pianists are individuals with independent minds,
and it is a certain kind of independence that you value above all.
Valuing this form of indepdence and "free thinking" is a fundamental
piece of your psychology that makes of you both a "canon buster" and a
foe of generalities, somebody whose sense of self depends on the
inconoclastic rejection of many a commonplace.

The fact remains that pianists in general, like human beings in
general, are going to have an easier time assimilating an earlier and
less complex exemplar of such a bizarre and eccentric new style as
Schumann's than a later, more complex, and more private exemplar of the
same style. There is nothing remotely surprising about the relatively
greater success with late nineteenth century pianists of Carnval over
the Davidsbündlertänze.

By the way, I reject out of hand all arguments that managers and
audiences are significant determinants in the relatively greater
success of Carnaval. Audiences hear what musicians choose to play.

-david gable
j***@yahoo.com
2006-12-18 07:18:47 UTC
Carnaval is much more popular than Davidsbundlertanze or Humoreske
because it's Schumann's most brilliant piano work and has an
interesting program aspect to it (in addition to being great and
memorable music). It has one of the most effective finales in all of
the piano literature (I love the quoting of the Beethoven fifth
concerto in it...also in the Fantasy). They're all great music, just
different pieces for different moods and occasions...but I don't think
anyone can ever consider the Carnaval trite or vapid. Every great
pianist of the 20th century has performed Carnaval but not necessarily
the other pieces (including Horowitz; you can see it on youtube, but it
is awful), and I think that probably says a lot about the quality of
the work.
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 15:55:39 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
By the way, I reject out of hand all arguments that managers and
audiences are significant determinants in the relatively greater
success of Carnaval. Audiences hear what musicians choose to play.

If you think the music world is totally run by the musicians themselves,
then you haven't worked in it. A few extraordinarily famous players can play
pretty much whatever they want (but that's probably a minority even amongst
the famous), so Pollini can play Boulez, Stockhausen and Nono if he chooses
to. But that's very much the exception rather than the rule. Especially with
respect to new music.

Ian
d***@aol.com
2006-12-18 16:21:40 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
If you think the music world is totally run by the musicians themselves,
then you haven't worked in it.
That's not what I said. And if no musician wants to play Boulez,
Boulez's music will not survive.

-david gable, not worried
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 16:29:47 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by Ian Pace
If you think the music world is totally run by the musicians themselves,
then you haven't worked in it.
That's not what I said. And if no musician wants to play Boulez,
Boulez's music will not survive.
There are other factors as to whether Boulez's music will survive or not,
prominent amongst which is the decisions or otherwise of promoters to
programme it, for funding bodies to subsidise performances of it, and of
audiences to come along or not. And musicians, certainly in the context of
new music, do not always 'choose' what they play (promoters make plenty of
decisions on that) - if they have strong objections, they might refuse, but
most have to compromise in that respect.

You said before that:

'By the way, I reject out of hand all arguments that managers and audiences
are significant determinants in the relatively greater success of Carnaval.
Audiences hear what musicians choose to play.'

How do you define 'success' of a work?

Ian
unknown
2006-12-18 21:38:33 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
[...]
And musicians choose to play, by and large, what audiences want to
hear. They are, after all, doing it for the money, as unidealistic and
anti-artistic as that may seem. If a musician chooses to play what
audiences don't want to hear, that musician will soon find there is not
much of an audience showing up at concerts.

wr
d***@aol.com
2006-12-18 22:41:52 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
If a musician chooses to play what
audiences don't want to hear, that musician will soon find there is not
much of an audience showing up at concerts.
There is no such thing as music that audiences don't want to hear,
because whatever a musician finds sufficiently absorbing, there will
always be somebody else who finds it sufficiently absorbing that he or
she will listen. Music uses performers to create an audience. The
fact is that Boulez's music will never enjoy an audience the size of
Brittany Spears' audience. Neither will Haydn's string quartets. No
matter. Many extremely gifted performers find Boulez's music
fascinating, and as long as that remains true, Boulez's music will
survive. And if some musicians find Boulez's music intriguing, some
listeners will find it intriguing, because the listener does not belong
to an entirely different species from the musician. There is an
audience for Boulez's music. It's just not very big. But it's larger
than some people imagine. Boulez's concerts of Boulez's music do sell
out.

Pianists don't play Beethoven and Chopin because, although they'd much
rather play something else, they MUST play Beethoven and Chopin or
nobody will come. It simply doesn't work that way. Moreover, it took
time for Beethoven to win an audience for much of his music. It took
Habeneck and the orchestra of the Conservatoire a full year of
rehearsals before they could give a credible performance of the 9th
symphony, the first in Paris. Habeneck didn't have to do Beethoven's
9th. Nobody held a gun to his head. Habeneck was determined to do it.
The success of the big name composers has depended on the enthusiasm
of performers who have been determined to play the music about which
they are enthusiastic. If no pianist had ever wanted to play
Beethoven, you would never have heard of him. There is also always
music that wins over performers and audiences with greater ease than
some of Beethoven's music did. That doesn't disprove my point. There
are also audiences and audiences. There is the audience for Brittany
Spears today, and then there's the minuscule audience for the music of
Johannes Ockeghem. It's possible that somebody will still be listening
to Brittany Spears 500 years from now, but that strikes me as
improbable. More likely, there will be a vast audience for the
Brittany Spears of the day and no audience for Brittany Spears. It's
more likely that there will still be a very tiny audience for the music
of Johannes Ockeghem 500 years from today than for Brittany Spears.

-david gable
tomdeacon
2006-12-18 22:52:01 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
If a musician chooses to play what
audiences don't want to hear, that musician will soon find there is not
much of an audience showing up at concerts.
There is no such thing as music that audiences don't want to hear,
because whatever a musician finds sufficiently absorbing, there will
always be somebody else who finds it sufficiently absorbing that he or
she will listen. Music uses performers to create an audience. The
fact is that Boulez's music will never enjoy an audience the size of
Brittany Spears' audience. Neither will Haydn's string quartets. No
matter. Many extremely gifted performers find Boulez's music
fascinating, and as long as that remains true, Boulez's music will
survive.
If music survives only through the advocacy of a few crazed
afficcionados ,then perhaps, David, it doesn't really deserve to
survive?

Audiences cannot be fooled, at least not for long. We have found that
out with Arnold's music. Dead as a fucking doornail! Berg and Webern
survive, however. They wrote more interesting music.

And when I talk about survival, I am not speaking of music on
life-support!
Post by d***@aol.com
And if some musicians find Boulez's music intriguing, some
listeners will find it intriguing, because the listener does not belong
to an entirely different species from the musician.
Are you sure about that?

Does that mean that the species of human that listens to BS will also
find Boulez fascinating?
Post by d***@aol.com
There is an
audience for Boulez's music. It's just not very big. But it's larger
than some people imagine. Boulez's concerts of Boulez's music do sell
out.
My question would be: Why do you always bring up Boulez as an example,
David? It is almost as though he is the very essence of a composer whom
people don't want to listen to but whom you want to love.
Post by d***@aol.com
Pianists don't play Beethoven and Chopin because, although they'd much
rather play something else, they MUST play Beethoven and Chopin or
nobody will come. It simply doesn't work that way.
Of course not.

They play Beethoven and Chopin because it is not only satisfying for
the performer, but also greatly rewarding for the audience. Still. And
after two centuries.

TD
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 23:10:13 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
[...]
As I'm sure you know, I'm not going to agree with that either. There are
many more than just 'a few crazed aficionados' who like Boulez's music.
Post by tomdeacon
Audiences cannot be fooled, at least not for long. We have found that
out with Arnold's music.
Even more who like Schoenberg. And a VERY large number of composers who have
been influenced by him in one sense or another - does that count for
nothing?
Post by tomdeacon
Dead as a fucking doornail! Berg and Webern
survive, however. They wrote more interesting music.
Very much surprises me that you rank Webern over Schoenberg!
Post by tomdeacon
And when I talk about survival, I am not speaking of music on
life-support!
Meaning state subsidy? Which most classical music depends upon.
Post by tomdeacon
Post by d***@aol.com
And if some musicians find Boulez's music intriguing, some
listeners will find it intriguing, because the listener does not belong
to an entirely different species from the musician.
Are you sure about that?
Does that mean that the species of human that listens to BS will also
find Boulez fascinating?
I'm sure there are some who like both.
Post by tomdeacon
Post by d***@aol.com
There is an
audience for Boulez's music. It's just not very big. But it's larger
than some people imagine. Boulez's concerts of Boulez's music do sell
out.
My question would be: Why do you always bring up Boulez as an example,
David? It is almost as though he is the very essence of a composer whom
people don't want to listen to but whom you want to love.
I would get less frustrated if David considered any other contemporary
composers as well as Boulez and Carter (and occasionally Berio and Amy). How
about considering these questions in the context of Lachenmann, or Aperghis,
or Sciarrino, or Dillon, say?
Post by tomdeacon
Post by d***@aol.com
Pianists don't play Beethoven and Chopin because, although they'd much
rather play something else, they MUST play Beethoven and Chopin or
nobody will come. It simply doesn't work that way.
Of course not.
They play Beethoven and Chopin because it is not only satisfying for
the performer, but also greatly rewarding for the audience. Still. And
after two centuries.
Yes, it is, for a certain audience (bear in mind that all classical music is
a minority interest, and increasingly so), but I'd be surprised if there are
more than a tiny handful of performers who don't come under pressure to play
certain things with which they have been typecast, and so on.

Ian
tomdeacon
2006-12-19 00:07:20 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
Post by tomdeacon
If music survives only through the advocacy of a few crazed
afficcionados ,then perhaps, David, it doesn't really deserve to
survive?
As I'm sure you know, I'm not going to agree with that either. There are
many more than just 'a few crazed aficionados' who like Boulez's music.
Are you really prepared to assault me with a load of literalism on this
point, Ian?

You know precisely what I mean. Even then, compared to the mass of the
world's population, even my slight exaggeration is only a slight one.
Post by Ian Pace
Post by tomdeacon
Audiences cannot be fooled, at least not for long. We have found that
out with Arnold's music.
Even more who like Schoenberg. And a VERY large number of composers who have
been influenced by him in one sense or another - does that count for
nothing?
A great many have been influenced by him. Does that make him a great
composer or a great influence?

In any event, most of the influence has been detrimental to music.
Post by Ian Pace
Post by tomdeacon
Dead as a fucking doornail! Berg and Webern
survive, however. They wrote more interesting music.
Very much surprises me that you rank Webern over Schoenberg!
Why? He wrote less. Therefore he is less offensive, less damaging
overall.
Post by Ian Pace
Post by tomdeacon
And when I talk about survival, I am not speaking of music on
life-support!
Meaning state subsidy? Which most classical music depends upon.
When I sit at my piano, Ian, I don't get support for anyone in order to
enjoy classical music. Nor do you, I presume.
Post by Ian Pace
Post by tomdeacon
Post by d***@aol.com
Pianists don't play Beethoven and Chopin because, although they'd much
rather play something else, they MUST play Beethoven and Chopin or
nobody will come. It simply doesn't work that way.
Of course not.
They play Beethoven and Chopin because it is not only satisfying for
the performer, but also greatly rewarding for the audience. Still. And
after two centuries.
Yes, it is, for a certain audience (bear in mind that all classical music is
a minority interest, and increasingly so), but I'd be surprised if there are
more than a tiny handful of performers who don't come under pressure to play
certain things with which they have been typecast, and so on.
Agreed.

I suppose Murray Perahia has been typecase as a Mozart pianist. So he
plays lots of Mozart. Ditto with Mitsuko Uchida. They both play it
well, if differently, of course, but that is sort of beside the point.

TD
d***@aol.com
2006-12-19 07:13:48 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Are you really prepared to assault me with a load of literalism on this
point, Ian?
It is you and not Ian who started a purely statistical argument without
either numbers to back it up or criteria for evaluating the numbers
that would back it up. Your deafness to Schoenberg's achievement, your
failure to come to grips with it, is evidence of precisely nothing.
The opinion that matters is not the opinion of the marketing arm of
Philips Records. The opinion that matters is the opinion of the
amazing musicians who will not stop performing Schoenberg's music
because they are so far inside it that they know its worth. The list
of conductors, pianists, and members of string quartets who are
passionately determined to perform Schoenberg's music is far too
extensive for your dismissal to carry the least weight in the face of
it. If you don't want to listen to his music, don't, but don't pat
yourself on the back for your own ignorance.

-david gable
d***@aol.com
2006-12-18 23:34:04 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
If music survives only through the advocacy of a few crazed
afficcionados ,then perhaps, David, it doesn't really deserve to
survive?
If it doesn't, it won't. Music cannot be made to survive because of
the enthusiasm of a single nut. Nor does art need a large audience to
survive. Emily Dickinson and St�phane Mallarm� continue to have
their tiny devoted audiences. The trouble with music is that, unlike
painting, it doesn't yield a material object in which one can invest
(otherwise Boulez's and Carter's would sell at the prices that
Pollock's fetch), and unlike poetry, music costs a lot of money to
reach an audience: the cost of a performance, and if the performance
is by an orchestra and requires a lot of rehearsal, the costs go up.
All you have to do to disseminate the poetry of Emily Dickinson is
reprint her poems.
Post by tomdeacon
Audiences cannot be fooled, at least not for long. We have found that
out with Arnold's music. Dead as a fucking doornail!
This is untrue, of course. Arnold is only now coming into his own with
Solti and Boulez performing Moses in Chicago, Christopher Keene and
Levine in New York, as much as you wish they wouldn't. There are more
recordings of Pierrot lunaire than you can shake a stick at, and the
remarkable thing about them is the overwhelmingly high quality of the
vast majority of them.
Post by tomdeacon
They play Beethoven and Chopin because it is not only satisfying for
the performer, but also greatly rewarding for the audience. Still. And
after two centuries.
They play it because it's rewarding to practice by the hour unlike
something that they exhaust so quickly they can no longer bear to face.
Audiences are the least of their worries despite your Philips
Marketing Attitude toward Art. Music is not delimited by the average
audience member's ears. Music is limited by the composer's ears.

-david gable
tomdeacon
2006-12-19 00:18:56 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
painting, it doesn't yield a material object in which one can invest
(otherwise Boulez's and Carter's would sell at the prices that
Pollock's fetch), and unlike poetry, music costs a lot of money to
reach an audience: the cost of a performance, and if the performance
is by an orchestra and requires a lot of rehearsal, the costs go up.
All you have to do to disseminate the poetry of Emily Dickinson is
reprint her poems.
ARGH!!!

So, Boulez' music is now likened to the splash a bit of paint on a
canvas and call it art? I am not sure he would be flattered. Nor
Carter, for that matter. Both are rather self-conscious composers, and
very, very particular about each and every note. Whereas Pollock.....
Well, this point doesn't even need to be made.

The art world has always had its nutty crazes, David. Are you sure this
isn't just another one, like all the others? I won't labour you with
the "isms" that have bitten the dust over the years.

TD
d***@aol.com
2006-12-19 07:29:22 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
The art world has always had its nutty crazes, David. Are you sure this
isn't just another one, like all the others? I won't labour you with
the "isms" that have bitten the dust over the years.
The rise and fall of -isms is the eternal story in the history of every
art. Every -ism bites the dust and every -ism will continue to do so.
It is impossible today to write music in the sonata style of Haydn,
Mozart, and Beethoven, to paint an impressionist painting, or to write
the kind of music that Boulez wrote in the late 1950's and early
1960's. The shelf life of styles is exceedingly short. The fragile
unity of the impressionist group failed to last even two decades,
falling apart long before any of the impressionist painters died.
After World War I, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Richard Strauss, Picasso,
Kandinsky, Klee, etc. etc. etc. were unable to continue in the styles
they had developed just before the war. Schumann was unable to
perpetuate the style of the great early piano works. The composer of
the symphonies and chamber music was not the same guy who had written
Carnaval and the Davidsbuendlertaenze. And with the advent of
Romanticism, the shelf life of styles has grown shorter. Easier for
Josquin, Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Rembrandt, and Bach to sustain
fairly consistent styles over the course of a lifetime than for
Schumann or Stravinsky.

-david gable
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 23:05:17 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
[...]
Now, I think I've heard something like that before - oh yes, in Rosen's
essay on new music in Critical Entertainments. But what about this mystical
statement:

'Music uses performers to create an audience.'

I have this vision of two scores (with arms and legs) walking down the
street together, saying 'Hey - I think we kinda need an audience', then
pulling some automatic pistols on a couple of performers they happen to see
walking nearby, bundling them into the boot (trunk - for Americans) of a
car, then taking them to some unknown location, where they are roped to
chairs, the scores still pointing their pistols at them, saying 'You've got
24 hours to create us an audience, or else.....'. Seriously, what on earth
does that statement mean?

'whatever a musician finds sufficiently absorbing, there will always be
somebody else who finds it sufficiently absorbing that he or she will
listen.'

Hmmm - I'd be interested in seeing you trying to negotiate with promoters on
that basis - 'There's someone out there - somewhere'. Hardly going to be
very convincing when box-office is what counts (and I'm sure you know I
dislike having to gauge music on that basis, as much as anyone can do - but
it tends to be a condition of funding these days).

'Many extremely gifted performers find Boulez's music fascinating, and as
long as that remains true, Boulez's music will survive.'

In what sense do you mean by 'survive'? How often does it need to be played
in order to be said to have 'survived'?
Post by d***@aol.com
Pianists don't play Beethoven and Chopin because, although they'd much
rather play something else, they MUST play Beethoven and Chopin or
nobody will come. It simply doesn't work that way.
Once again, I think you should spend some time in the music business. This
is pie-in-the-sky stuff.
Post by d***@aol.com
Moreover, it took
time for Beethoven to win an audience for much of his music. It took
Habeneck and the orchestra of the Conservatoire a full year of
rehearsals before they could give a credible performance of the 9th
symphony, the first in Paris. Habeneck didn't have to do Beethoven's
9th. Nobody held a gun to his head. Habeneck was determined to do it.
Tell me one orchestra in the world that would give a new piece a full year
of rehearsals nowadays.
Post by d***@aol.com
The success of the big name composers has depended on the enthusiasm
of performers who have been determined to play the music about which
they are enthusiastic.
And on the patrons who supported them, and in recent times on certain
promoters, record company executives, radio producers, etc. Try reading Amy
C. Beal's new book 'New Music, New Allies: American Experimental Music in
West Germany from the Zero Hour to Reunification', which has a lot about how
various American composers established their reputations, internationally,
in large measure because of the efforts of certain radio producers in West
Germany.
Post by d***@aol.com
If no pianist had ever wanted to play
Beethoven, you would never have heard of him.
Nowadays, lots of musicians take things up because promoters ask them to. I
have worked intensely in this world for the last 13 years, and know a lot
about how it works - you might care to consider that I do know something of
what I'm talking about here.
Post by d***@aol.com
There is also always
music that wins over performers and audiences with greater ease than
some of Beethoven's music did. That doesn't disprove my point.
I'm not really sure what that point is.
Post by d***@aol.com
There
are also audiences and audiences. There is the audience for Brittany
Spears today, and then there's the minuscule audience for the music of
Johannes Ockeghem. It's possible that somebody will still be listening
to Brittany Spears 500 years from now, but that strikes me as
improbable. More likely, there will be a vast audience for the
Brittany Spears of the day and no audience for Brittany Spears. It's
more likely that there will still be a very tiny audience for the music
of Johannes Ockeghem 500 years from today than for Brittany Spears.
Total speculation, no possible way of knowing that.

We are living in a hugely more market-driven world than was the case in
Beethoven's time, let alone Ockeghem's. You might care to think about how
that impacts upon music-making in general.

Ian
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 23:17:53 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
If a musician chooses to play what
audiences don't want to hear, that musician will soon find there is not
much of an audience showing up at concerts.
There is no such thing as music that audiences don't want to hear,
because whatever a musician finds sufficiently absorbing, there will
always be somebody else who finds it sufficiently absorbing that he or
she will listen.
I was under the impression that Boulez left the New York Philharmonic
precisely because he wanted to conduct music that the subscription
audience wasn't buying tickets to hear.
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 23:15:06 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
If a musician chooses to play what
audiences don't want to hear, that musician will soon find there is not
much of an audience showing up at concerts.
There is no such thing as music that audiences don't want to hear,
because whatever a musician finds sufficiently absorbing, there will
always be somebody else who finds it sufficiently absorbing that he or
she will listen.
I was under the impression that Boulez left the New York Philharmonic
precisely because he wanted to conduct music that the subscription
audience wasn't buying tickets to hear.
Many more such stories where that one comes from. But David, in his fantasy
world, likes to think music has nothing to do with society, and that
music-making, including what gets played, is unaffected by such things as
what brings in audiences and so on.

It isn't.

Ian
tomdeacon
2006-12-19 00:10:23 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
Post by JohnGavin
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
If a musician chooses to play what
audiences don't want to hear, that musician will soon find there is not
much of an audience showing up at concerts.
There is no such thing as music that audiences don't want to hear,
because whatever a musician finds sufficiently absorbing, there will
always be somebody else who finds it sufficiently absorbing that he or
she will listen.
I was under the impression that Boulez left the New York Philharmonic
precisely because he wanted to conduct music that the subscription
audience wasn't buying tickets to hear.
Many more such stories where that one comes from. But David, in his fantasy
world, likes to think music has nothing to do with society, and that
music-making, including what gets played, is unaffected by such things as
what brings in audiences and so on.
It isn't.
This point is, Ian, SO obvious, that I find myself wondering why we are
arguing it at all?

TD
d***@aol.com
2006-12-19 07:04:23 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
But David, in his fantasy
world, likes to think music has nothing to do with society, and that
music-making, including what gets played, is unaffected by such things as
what brings in audiences and so on.
On the contrary. What I believe is that the aesthetic is one among
many ways of "being in the world," that man is not reducible to Homo
Politicus, as you believe, that there is also Homo Aestheticus. The
aesthetic is quite enough to attract the audience for music, painting,
and poetry. Mathematicians get interested in math because it's an
intrinsically interesting corner of the universe. You demand more of
music than mathematicans demand of math, and in the process, you
downplay the importance of the musicality of music.

-david gable
d***@aol.com
2006-12-19 00:00:43 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
I was under the impression that Boulez left the New York Philharmonic
precisely because he wanted to conduct music that the subscription
audience wasn't buying tickets to hear.
This isn't quite the right way to put it. There was a flurry of
subscription cancellations when Boulez's Music Directorship was
announced, but, by the second season and throughout his tenure, Boulez
sold tickets as well as Bernstein. Boulez is extremely canny in his
understanding of audiences. No doubt he did less new music of the kind
with which he is identified than he would like to have done, although
he did program a representative sample of new music every season, but
he introduced two series outside the subscription series.

Boulez is quite candid about this sort of thing. If you're going to
give an all-Messiaen concert or an all-Carter concert with the Ensemble
InterContemporarin in Paris, you can use a hall of a certain size and
an audience will come. But if you're going to give a concert of music
by young unknown French composers, three quarters of the hall will be
empty and it makes sense to use a smaller venue. Similarly, in New
York Boulez introduced the wildly successful and habitually sold out
"rug" concerts that were populated by a mainly young audience and
included more new music than regular subscription concerts. At the
rugs you would routinely hear, say, Ligeti and a Brandenburg Concerto
on the same program. The administration of the New York Phil was
extremely enthusiastic about the rug concerts and tried to continue
them after Boulez left, but it didn't work. Marketing is a funny
thing, and the success of the rug concerts was tied to Boulez's name.

The other series Boulez introduced in New York was the Prospective
Encounter Series, which was held at various locations in Greenwich
Village and featured members of the New York Philharmonic who were
interested in new music in concerts of contemporary chamber music.

As for Boulez's own music, Boulez refused to use the New York
Philharmonic as a platform for its promotion as a matter of principle.
Many aficionados were discouraged that he never performed Pli selon pli
with the New York Phil, for example. (The U.S. premiere of Pli selon
pli was given by Arthur Weisberg and a much expanded Contemporary
Chamber Ensemble the season after Boulez left: Pli selon pli shared a
program with Debussy's Afternoon of a Faun, and the program booklet
included all of the relevant Mallarm� poems in French and English.)
The only one of his own pieces Boulez programmed with the New York Phil
on a regular subscription concert was Rituel, shortly after it was
written. He also performed the Deux Improvisations sur Mallarm� at
the rugs. (Boulez was involved in a couple of New York performances of
his own music that didn't use the NY Phil.)

Boulez left New York, among other reasons, because, France being
France, the French government was willing to give him everything he
wanted to get him to return to France.

-david gable
d***@aol.com
2006-12-18 04:42:07 UTC
Post by unknown
Just out of curiosity, what precisely is that "more traditional larger
shape" that Carnaval has imposed on it. Since you say it's
traditional, maybe you could offer some earlier examples of that
tradition.
Carnaval is an end weighted form. If only in retrospect, the large
climactic form at the end ties together and imposes a shape on the
whole piece. In other ways, the form of Carnaval is quite as novel as
the Davidsbündlertänze's, the form of which is only a further
refinement of Carnaval's. But, in the vague and general sense of
"traditional form" that I intend, an end weighted form is just about as
traditional as it gets. The weight of the form of Hamlet is thrown to
the end by the impressive number of corpses that piles up within a
"crescendo" of plot activity at the very end. Verdi was delighted
when he discovered the phrase "crescit eundo" in Lucretius: "it grows
as it goes." This end weighting principle is typical of the central
finales of operas, including both Figaro's and Barber's. In many a
central finale, plot complication is piled on top of plot complication
as more and more characters are introduced within a "crescendo" form.
The end of the central finale is generally the place in the opera where
the plot attains something like maximum complexity or confusion, and
some of Rossini's central finales end with an "ensemble of
consternation" in which the assembled cast gives amusing voice to its
consternation and befuddlement. "Now this plot is knotted tighter.
Who or what might set it righter?"

The ultimate end weighting and end weighted form is the Liebestod's:
the Liebestod is both the end toward which we can almost convince
ourselves the entire opera was directed and an end weighted form in its
own right, building to a shattering climax through a series of
crescendos.

If you're going to discuss end weighting in a more substantial way than
I have here, you have to distinguish among end weightings, and you have
to distinguish Haydn and Mozart, whose balanced forms do not depend on
ultimate cathartic Wagnerian resolutions, from the end weighting
characteristic of so much 19th century music. Beethoven's imposing
and end weighting codas distinguish him from Haydn and Mozart.
Beethoven's transformation of classical forms, which included
throwing the weight to the end with massive codas, made possible new
kinds of quasi-narrative forms that move toward ultimate triumph and
resolution, and it is this new approach that allies Beethoven with
later 19th century music. In Carnaval, which still ends in a triumph
of sorts, Schumann bows to the principle of throwing the weight to the
end. In the Davidsbündlertänze, where no such sense of triumph is
still possible, there is no such climactic large-scale movement at the
very end.

Although Debussy and Stravinsky inaugurated the era of skepticism with
respect to Romanticism in general and German Romanticism in particular,
both still made use of the kinds of crescendo shapes you find in
Wagner, Bruckner, and Mahler. Debussy still exploited what Boulez
refers to in an essay on Debussy as "the rhetoric of the culminating
point." It's astonishing the extent to which so "revolutionary" and
would be anti-Romantic a work as Le sacre du printemps still depends on
the crescendo shapes characteristic of later 19th century music or at
least the outer shell, the envelope, of such shapes. The form of the
opening movement of Mahler's 9th consists of three gradually unfolding
crescendos, each of which builds to a more imposing climax. Le sacre
du printemps is largely made out of the same kind of external shapes,
if shapes on a smaller scale than Mahler's, but the shapes aren't
constituted with the same kind of language and don't build to
shattering quasi-cathartic climaxes: the crescendo-like "building"
characteristic of Wagner's and Mahler's forms is maintained but
divorced from their language and affect.

-david gable
unknown
2006-12-18 08:23:59 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Just out of curiosity, what precisely is that "more traditional larger
shape" that Carnaval has imposed on it. Since you say it's
traditional, maybe you could offer some earlier examples of that
tradition.
Carnaval is an end weighted form.
<...>
Hmm, you sure could have avoided a lot of verbiage had you just said
that in your previous post. "End-weighted" isn't exactly the kind of
thing that first springs to mind on seeing the word "form", especially
when qualified by "traditional".

wr
d***@aol.com

-david gable
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 15:16:00 UTC
Post by d***@aol.com
Post by unknown
Just out of curiosity, what precisely is that "more traditional larger
shape" that Carnaval has imposed on it. Since you say it's
traditional, maybe you could offer some earlier examples of that
tradition.
Carnaval is an end weighted form. If only in retrospect, the large
climactic form at the end ties together and imposes a shape on the
whole piece. In other ways, the form of Carnaval is quite as novel as
the Davidsbündlertänze's, the form of which is only a further
refinement of Carnaval's.
Yet the Fantasy, probably Schumann's second most performed large scale
piano work, as a whole is certainly not "end weighted".
d***@aol.com
2006-12-18 16:31:34 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Yet the Fantasy, probably Schumann's second most performed large scale
piano work, as a whole is certainly not "end weighted".
It also doesn't have the radical kind of mosaic structure of the
Carnaval and Davidsbündlertänze. And, if any movement made the
Fantasy a hit with pianists, it was the last movement. The Fantasy has
always been the classic instance of Schumannian rhapsodic improvisatory
revery. And the work as a whole, originally intended as a monument to
Beethoven, is a kind of Schumannian take on traditional forms: not a
classicizing work such as the later Schumann would feel duty bound to
produce as a good German composer, but a bold new take on the old forms
in Schumann's original and youthful manner. (And more successful than
the F sharp minor Sonata it is, too, for that very reason.
Aesthetically successful.)

-david gable
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 16:49:30 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Yet the Fantasy, probably Schumann's second most performed large scale
piano work, as a whole is certainly not "end weighted".
DG: It also doesn't have the radical kind of mosaic structure of the
Carnaval and Davidsbündlertänze. And, if any movement made the
Fantasy a hit with pianists, it was the last movement. The Fantasy has
always been the classic instance of Schumannian rhapsodic improvisatory
revery.

In my experience, the appeal of the Fantasy to a lot of pianists (certainly
younger ones) has been more about the virtuosity presented by the coda of
the second movement, with its perilous leaps.

Ian
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 17:30:10 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
Post by JohnGavin
Yet the Fantasy, probably Schumann's second most performed large scale
piano work, as a whole is certainly not "end weighted".
DG: It also doesn't have the radical kind of mosaic structure of the
Carnaval and Davidsbündlertänze. And, if any movement made the
Fantasy a hit with pianists, it was the last movement. The Fantasy has
always been the classic instance of Schumannian rhapsodic improvisatory
revery.
In my experience, the appeal of the Fantasy to a lot of pianists (certainly
younger ones) has been more about the virtuosity presented by the coda of
the second movement, with its perilous leaps.
Ian
Ian, I don't or can't believe that last sentence for a second. It goes
too far down the trail (gradually established on this thread) of
attributing a superficiality to the musical motives of audiences and
performers alike. You would have had to approach "a lot of pianists"
and asked them "Was the primary appeal of learning the Schumann Fantasy
the challenge of negotiating those perilous leaps in the coda of the
second mvt"? Then, they would have had to say something like "Yes,
I'm afraid so". I don't believe it for a second!!
Ian Pace
2006-12-18 17:29:23 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
Post by JohnGavin
Yet the Fantasy, probably Schumann's second most performed large scale
piano work, as a whole is certainly not "end weighted".
DG: It also doesn't have the radical kind of mosaic structure of the
Carnaval and Davidsbündlertänze. And, if any movement made the
Fantasy a hit with pianists, it was the last movement. The Fantasy has
always been the classic instance of Schumannian rhapsodic improvisatory
revery.
In my experience, the appeal of the Fantasy to a lot of pianists (certainly
younger ones) has been more about the virtuosity presented by the coda of
the second movement, with its perilous leaps.
Ian
JG: Ian, I don't or can't believe that last sentence for a second. It goes
too far down the trail (gradually established on this thread) of
attributing a superficiality to the musical motives of audiences and
performers alike. You would have had to approach "a lot of pianists"
and asked them "Was the primary appeal of learning the Schumann Fantasy
the challenge of negotiating those perilous leaps in the coda of the
second mvt"? Then, they would have had to say something like "Yes,
I'm afraid so". I don't believe it for a second!!

I'm sorry, but if you spend time around lots of young players (which I have
both as a student and a teacher) I think you'll find that 'superficiality'
in very large doses. And that feeds into the competitions, and so on and so
forth. Do you think it's primarily the other musical qualities of Liszt's
Feux Follets that make pianists want to play it? Not that I'm impugning
virtuoso display, by the way, I wouldn't necessarily call it 'superficial'
(including the case of the Schumann and Liszt pieces).

Ian
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 17:59:45 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
[...]
But there's a huge gulf between Feux Follets and the Schumann Fantasy.
The later being a terribly demanding work on a pianist's emotional
resources - from the very first note to the end. As you know, it's a
piece that exposes the heart and lays it bare - it conveys something
deeper than the flying around of fireflies. Even a young piano-jock
with half a brain will quickly realize that his depth or lack of will
be cruelly exposed before getting a chance to show how quickly and
accurately he can flail his arms in opposite directions!

Maybe the challenge of executing that coda accurately is part of the
Fantasy's allure for a young pianist, but I still can't believe it
could be the primary motive :) It's the equivalent of playing Op. 111
solely to show off your trills.
Martin Altschwager
2006-12-19 11:00:05 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
But there's a huge gulf between Feux Follets and the Schumann Fantasy.
The later being a terribly demanding work on a pianist's emotional
resources - from the very first note to the end. As you know, it's a
piece that exposes the heart and lays it bare - it conveys something
deeper than the flying around of fireflies. Even a young piano-jock
with half a brain will quickly realize that his depth or lack of will
be cruelly exposed before getting a chance to show how quickly and
accurately he can flail his arms in opposite directions!
Well, Lang Lang recently played the Fantasy. While it isn't really new to
his repertoire, he has yet to realize the hard truth you describe.

Oh, by the way, he missed a few of those leaps in the second movement.

M.A.

unknown
2006-12-18 21:52:33 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Ian Pace
Post by JohnGavin
[...]
Then there's the fact that very very few actually manage those leaps
with any reliability, and even fewer still can do it while in the heat
of a really good performance (in other words, there's an inverse
relationship of the excitement Schumann calls for and accuracy of
execution that virtually no pianists can get under control).

wr
tomdeacon
2006-12-18 18:12:35 UTC
Post by Ian Pace
Post by JohnGavin
Yet the Fantasy, probably Schumann's second most performed large scale
piano work, as a whole is certainly not "end weighted".
DG: It also doesn't have the radical kind of mosaic structure of the
Carnaval and Davidsbündlertänze. And, if any movement made the
Fantasy a hit with pianists, it was the last movement. The Fantasy has
always been the classic instance of Schumannian rhapsodic improvisatory
revery.
In my experience, the appeal of the Fantasy to a lot of pianists (certainly
younger ones) has been more about the virtuosity presented by the coda of
the second movement, with its perilous leaps.
Correct.

See also: Scarbo(sheer difficulty), Islamey(sheer difficulty), Liszt B
minor sonata(flashy octaves), Tchaikovsky Pico No.1(flashy octaves),
Beethoven Hammerklavier(unresistable temptation to bang and still sound
musical), Schubert Wanderer Fantasy(unresistable temptation to bang and
still sound musical), Prokofiev Sonata No. 7 (unresistable temptation
to bang and still sound musical), and so on, and on.

Pianists can never resiste the temptation to flash and dash, loud and
fast, as opposed to subtle and contemplative, soft and slow.

Jeanne-Marie Darre used to say that she couldn't programme Faure's
lovely Theme and Variations because of the ending. (actually, I heard
her play it in concert in Paris; she played it magnificently, but the
audience was unmoved, of course, and only applauded when they realized
that there was no more music!!!) Rachmaninoff's Corelli Variations and
Chopin Variations have similar problems, which SR tried to remedy
himself in performance and in ossias in the scores.

Schumann's Fantasy is NOT often programmed, in my experience, despite
the temptations of the second movement, because of that damned last
movement. Beautiful. But really. How is a pianist supposed to get the
public wild with excitement with such an interior piece of music? It's
like Shakespeare hoping to get a standing ovation for a reading of one
of his sonnets.

And standing ovations are de rigueur. They command a return invitation
for the pianist from the impresario. Done deal. Let's have loud and
fast.

TD
David Fox
2006-12-18 18:39:25 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Correct.
See also: Scarbo(sheer difficulty), Islamey(sheer difficulty), Liszt B
minor sonata(flashy octaves), Tchaikovsky Pico No.1(flashy octaves),
Beethoven Hammerklavier(unresistable temptation to bang and still sound
musical), Schubert Wanderer Fantasy(unresistable temptation to bang and
still sound musical), Prokofiev Sonata No. 7 (unresistable temptation
to bang and still sound musical), and so on, and on.
My edition of the Liszt Sonata does not end in flashy octaves. Yours
may be missing a few pages.

DF
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 18:42:54 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Schumann's Fantasy is NOT often programmed, in my experience, despite
the temptations of the second movement, because of that damned last
movement. Beautiful. But really. How is a pianist supposed to get the
public wild with excitement with such an interior piece of music? It's
like Shakespeare hoping to get a standing ovation for a reading of one
of his sonnets.
And standing ovations are de rigueur. They command a return invitation
for the pianist from the impresario. Done deal. Let's have loud and
fast.
TD
Now Tom... Are pianists so superficial that EVERY piece on their
program has to end with a bang? Any pianist who wishes to impress and
audience with their brilliance just won't END the recital with the
Schumann Fantasy - they'll follow it up with Mazeppa or something like
that. Even the Liszt Sonata and Scarbo end rather quietly and
delicately. Madame Darre could easily have followed up the Faure
Variations with some Liszt-Paganini Etudes. Even Horowitz programmed
the Fantasy for his big comeback recital, he just didn't end with it.
This discussion seems to be distorted by a cynical perception of
massive superficiality that is being exaggerated for sure.
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 19:01:51 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Schumann's Fantasy is NOT often programmed, in my experience, despite
the temptations of the second movement, because of that damned last
movement. Beautiful. But really. How is a pianist supposed to get the
public wild with excitement with such an interior piece of music? It's
like Shakespeare hoping to get a standing ovation for a reading of one
of his sonnets.
And standing ovations are de rigueur. They command a return invitation
for the pianist from the impresario. Done deal. Let's have loud and
fast.
TD
Oh come on... Are pianists so superficial that EVERY piece on their
program has to end with a bang? Any pianist who wishes to impress and
audience with their brilliance just won't END the recital with the
Schumann Fantasy - they'll follow it up with Mazeppa or something like
that. Even Scarbo ends rather quietly and delicately. Madame Darre
being exaggerated for sure.
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 19:02:47 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Schumann's Fantasy is NOT often programmed, in my experience, despite
the temptations of the second movement, because of that damned last
movement. Beautiful. But really. How is a pianist supposed to get the
public wild with excitement with such an interior piece of music? It's
like Shakespeare hoping to get a standing ovation for a reading of one
of his sonnets.
And standing ovations are de rigueur. They command a return invitation
for the pianist from the impresario. Done deal. Let's have loud and
fast.
TD
Tom... Are pianists so superficial that EVERY piece on their program
has to end with a bang? Any pianist who wishes to impress and audience
with their brilliance just won't END the recital with the Schumann
Fantasy - they'll follow it up with Mazeppa or something like that.
Even Scarbo ends rather quietly and delicately. Madame Darre could
being exaggerated for sure.
tomdeacon
2006-12-18 20:36:10 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
[...]
Exaggerations are sometimes helpful, John, to perceive the subtle but
invidious nature of trends.

On the subject of CARNAVAL, again, with some exaggeration just to bring
the point home.

I must have been sparing myself the pleasure, but this afternoon, in
the mail, I received Madame Juana Zayas' latest box of chocolates, her
Schumann collection from Music&Arts. (the main item was Schnabel's
Mozart box from Music&Arts, which is anything BUT candy, of course)

If one were to take ONLY the Chopin section from Carnaval, I think you
would get the (alas very pretty) picture clearly.

Here Madame Zayas turns Schumann's piece into the Nocturne Chopin never
wrote. Each bass note is given its own very special weight and
significance, with the pianist landing on each and every one as though
it was the most significant moment in recent musical history. If if had
not been, that is, for the melodic line, where we are forced to wait at
the top of each and every phrase for the oh, so, significant note to
finally be sounded. And then there are the "inner voices" so highly
developed by the likes of Hofmann and his ilk. ARGH!!! The inner voices
take precedence over the melodies themselves, even though they have no
particular vocal contribution to make to the music. They are just its
"stuffing"!!! When, finally, Chopin is over, we all breathe a sigh of
signifant relief, unprepared to go through that kind of torture ever
again.

I didn't finish the Toccata. The spit curls and little affetuoso
touches were simply too much, certainly for the music. If you want to
hear this piece, please get hold of Martha Argerich's live performance.
The Fantasiestucke and Arabesque will simply have to wait for another
bout of masochism to hit.

It is said that this Cuban-born pianist gave up her career to raise a
family. Hmmmmm. First of all, I have never been able to discern even
the slightest indication of temperament in this pianist, let alone any
obvious signs of her having been Cuban, of all things. Secondly, one
wonders whether all those cookies and cakes and chocolate puddings
which were a part of her domestic career have penetrated her
music-making.

Gooey, is one word for it.

Carnaval is usually entertaining, but not this time round.

TD
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 21:15:56 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is usually entertaining, but not this time round.
TD
In case you're up for yet another painful rendition of Carnaval, here's
another:

(I was unaware that this film existed)
unknown
2006-12-18 22:18:34 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is usually entertaining, but not this time round.
TD
In case you're up for yet another painful rendition of Carnaval, here's
http://youtu.be/vK2rylJ1roY
(I was unaware that this film existed)
Speaking of YouTube (and painful, in this case, memories), have you
tubians noticed that there's been a recent rash of videos featuring a
<cross-fingers> former rmcr contributor whose name I won't mention for
fear of attracting some sort of googlianish trouble, but whose initials
begin with "jay", end with "why", and are separated by a "bee"?

wr
JohnGavin
2006-12-18 22:31:04 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is usually entertaining, but not this time round.
TD
In case you're up for yet another painful rendition of Carnaval, here's
http://youtu.be/vK2rylJ1roY
(I was unaware that this film existed)
Speaking of YouTube (and painful, in this case, memories), have you
tubians noticed that there's been a recent rash of videos featuring a
<cross-fingers> former rmcr contributor whose name I won't mention for
fear of attracting some sort of googlianish trouble, but whose initials
begin with "jay", end with "why", and are separated by a "bee"?
wr
Yes, while searching under "Medtner" and "Stephen Hough" (not two
references that will win scads of viewers). He might consider using
some cross-references like "Spears" "Eminem" "Aguilera" and "Jolie" or
"Pitt".
tomdeacon
2006-12-18 22:38:07 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is usually entertaining, but not this time round.
TD
In case you're up for yet another painful rendition of Carnaval, here's
http://youtu.be/vK2rylJ1roY
(I was unaware that this film existed)
EEE GAD!!!!

I had heard he played the piece in his later years, but also didn't
know there was incriminating evidence.

I don't have the courage tonight, I think.

TD
Henk van Tuijl
2006-12-19 09:01:13 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
Carnaval is usually entertaining, but
not this time round.
TD
In case you're up for yet another
painful rendition of Carnaval, here's
http://youtu.be/vK2rylJ1roY
(I was unaware that this film existed)
Horowitz should have known better than
to give that recital in Japan!
Everything he played was unworthy of
him.

Henk
tomdeacon
2006-12-16 02:48:42 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I imprinted on Rachmaninov playing this, which rather ruined the
experience of listening to anybody else, but it's time to review that.
For a start, what's the best version of the Rachmaninov sound-wise out
of what's now available? And then - the rest? I prefer Gieseking and
Myra Hess to Sofronitsky of those I've heard - which surprised me. What
are your favourites?
I have no intention of reopening this discussion.

But I would be remiss if I did not call attention to an obscure
performance of Carnaval by a young and very talented pianist from
Greece by the name of George-Emanuel Lazaridis. This is on the SOMM
label from the UK. Lazaridis first came to my attention through his
outstanding recording of the Liszt Sonata a few months ago on the LINN
label, and I have sought out his earlier efforts. He is still very
young, of course, so there is not a great deal. But among the previous
discs there is a Schumann recital with Carnaval on it. Lazaridis has an
unusual ability to give different gradations of dynamics to a series of
otherwise very similar notes, causing things to come into focus that
otherwise would remain buried in the texture. The Liszt Sonata displays
this talent particularly well, but so does the Schumann. I think he's a
pianist to watch carefully.

TD