Marston Records - The Complete Josef Hofmann: vol. 9
George P
2017-07-27 19:45:36 UTC
Earlier this week, the final volume in Marston Records' series of Josef Hoffman shipped out to subscribers. Anyone get their copy yet? When I became a subscriber about 7 years ago, they would ship everything FedEx and I would get it fast. Seems they now use media mail. :(

More info on this release here: https://www.marstonrecords.com/pages/future

George
Da Zecret Archivz
2017-08-03 22:02:33 UTC
Looks like only a few alternate takes and another restoration of a broadcast previously issued - now from a different source.

Let's wait 10 more years of the Buenos Aires recital then.
Da Zecret Archivz
2017-10-12 00:57:19 UTC
the interviews are GREAT and the 1936 broadcast is now in amazing sound.
Andy Evans
2017-10-12 09:20:32 UTC
Did Hofmann record the whole of Chopin's Sonata 3 or just movt. #1?
Da Zecret Archivz
2017-10-12 13:13:55 UTC
Hofmann recorded just the first movement as a test recording in 1935 which wasn't issued until the LP era.
Tony
2017-10-12 12:08:41 UTC
Post by Da Zecret Archivz
the interviews are GREAT and the 1936 broadcast is now in amazing sound.
Hearing Bolet say that Lucie Stern was unbelievable was nice to hear. It's a shame she died so young.

The Hofmann Moonlight is special.
Tony
2017-10-12 12:14:42 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Da Zecret Archivz
the interviews are GREAT and the 1936 broadcast is now in amazing sound.
Hearing Bolet say that Lucie Stern was unbelievable was nice to hear. It's a shame she died so young.
The Hofmann Moonlight is special.
Also hearing Bolet talk about how Hofmann raised his hands and came down WHAM on the keyboard (for musical purposes) reminds me of Sokolov's breathtaking head-high right-hand attack at 2:20 into the Prokofiev finale