Jones and the Little Orchestra of London
Spam Scone
2004-11-13 12:51:39 UTC
Is there a discography of recordings by the Little Orchestra of London
and Leslie Jones online? Did they record a complete set of Haydn
symphonies for Nonesuch? What else did they record? I've recently
purchased a couple of discs of the Haydn London symphonies by
Jones/LOOL and they are wonderful. One of the long-time posters on
RMCR has done marvelous transfers of these recordings.

Neil Brennen, attempting to improve the s/n ratio.
chessnews at mindspring dot com
Alan Watkinsuk
2004-11-13 14:45:28 UTC
I am not aware of a discography but to my knowledge they recorded Haydn 93-104,
82-87, 6-8, 19/31/45,44/49,63/77/78,3/39/61,35/43, Six Divertimenti Op 31, some
Michael Haydn, Beethoven 1, Dvorak Serenade for Strings,Grieg/Sibelius/Nielsen
(Rakastaava, Holberg, Elegiac Melodies, Little Suite). The slow movement of
the Holberg is memorable. Stanley: Six Concertos Op 2.

There are probably other recordings I do not know about. He was an interesting
man: a lawyer for most of his life, he sold his practice in England in his 50's
to devote himself full time to music and, of course, founded the Little
Orchestra (hand picked players from the London "pool") to do "small scale"
performances, usually directed by him from the keyboard.

He was an accomplished keyboard player and frequently prepared his own
editions. He was at the forefront of the movement to reduce the size of Haydn
orchestras. You might also look up discussion on music newsgroups relating to
Moldens Woldike who was doing the same thing elsewhere, also particularly with
Haydn (and others).

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins
Curtis Croulet
2004-11-13 16:12:35 UTC
In vinyl days I got great pleasure from his set of the London Symphonies.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California
33° 27' 59"N, 117° 05' 53"W
James Ringland
2004-11-13 18:10:54 UTC
Post by Alan Watkinsuk
[...]
Jones also recorded Haydn symphonies 90/91, which have much of the same
vibrancy and simplicity of the London set. There may be others too; I
have some but not all. Some of the specific couplings Alan mentioned
are different than the ones Nonesuch had. For example, digging though
my collection, I see Nonesuch coupled 61 and 77 and put 63 and 78
together with the Overture to an English Opera. Pye (who I think
actually recorded these) may have put out different editions. Other
than Haydn, I know Jones also recorded the CPE Bach orchestral
symphonies for twelve obbligato parts Wq. 183.

Jones gets occasional discussion on the Yahoo Haydn group if you are
interested in probing there.

By the way, I think Nonesuch's recording of Haydn 6/7/8 was by Karl
Ristenpart, not Jones.
Jim Ringland
Paul Goldstein
2004-11-13 20:57:09 UTC
In article <***@news.west.earthlink.net>, James Ringland
says...
Other
Post by James Ringland
than Haydn, I know Jones also recorded the CPE Bach orchestral
symphonies for twelve obbligato parts Wq. 183.
Jim, you took the words right out of my mouth. Nonesuch H-71180, a fine LP that
I have not played in many years.
Paul Goldstein
James Ringland
2004-11-13 22:36:45 UTC
In article <***@drn.newsguy.com>, ***@sbcglobal.net
says...
Post by Paul Goldstein
says...
Other
Post by James Ringland
than Haydn, I know Jones also recorded the CPE Bach orchestral
symphonies for twelve obbligato parts Wq. 183.
Jim, you took the words right out of my mouth. Nonesuch H-71180, a fine LP that
I have not played in many years.
Yet another reason for LP -> CD transfers!
Jim Ringland
Steve Haller
2004-11-15 17:12:36 UTC
Post by James Ringland
Post by Alan Watkinsuk
[...]
...and if it's 6/7/8 with Ristenpart you want, you can find it at
www.rediscovery.us -- a great recording!
Alan Watkinsuk
2004-11-15 21:09:34 UTC
I think most of mine are Pye and so, as you comment, the couplings may be
different. The Grieg/Nielsen/Sibelius is, I think, Unicorn or it was in
England.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins