Discussion:
Charles Münch: The Complete Warner Recordings (13 CD Box)
(too old to reply)
Randy Lane
2018-07-23 03:10:12 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Found on Amazon.fr today

Release Date 09/28/2018

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07FDQJ5QZ/
John Fowler
2018-07-24 01:01:16 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
To be released in September.
Apparently it includes Munch's pre-Boston mono recordings with the Paris Conservatoire + the stereo Erato recordings with the French Natl Radio Orchestra + the post-Boston stereo recordings with Orchestre de Paris.
Jerry
2018-07-24 14:14:45 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 9:01:18 PM UTC-4, John Fowler wrote:
> To be released in September.
> Apparently it includes Munch's pre-Boston mono recordings with the Paris Conservatoire + the stereo Erato recordings with the French Natl Radio Orchestra + the post-Boston stereo recordings with Orchestre de Paris.

Oh, the stupidity of Amazon's track listings. No apparent need to
acknowledge composers.

As far as I can tell:

CDs 1 - 3 (Stereo from EMI, OdP)

CD1: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique & Ravel Daphnis Suite 2
CD2: Ravel Pavane, Rap. Esp., Piano Concerto in G, Bolero
CD3: Brahms Symph. No. 1 and Honegger: Symph. No. 2

CDs 4 - 6 (Stereo from Erato)

CD4: Lalo & Saint-Saens Cello Concerti
CD5: Roussel Symphs. 3 & 4 and Suite in F
CD6: Honegger Symph. No. 4 & Duttileux Metaboles and Symph. No. 2

CDs 7 - 13 (All 78s from HMV/VsM, Columbia, Pathe)

CD7: Saint-Saens 4th PC (Cortot) a Vivaldi V.C. and "Mozart" V.C. No. 7
(Soriano) and a "Berceuse" (haven't yet nailed down this one).

CD8: Bloch V.C. (Szigeti); one of the two Ravel Left Hand Concerti
Munch left on 78s, and Mozart V.C. No. 5 (Thibaud)

CD9: Honegger Danse des Morts and Symphony No. 2 and Tchaikovsky
P.C. No. 1 (Konstantinoff)

CD10: Hoffmann (attrib. Bach) Cantata 189; Halffter Rap. Portugesa (Long);
Works by Delannoy; Liszt 1st P.C. (Benvenuti (?) from Pathe, 1941)

CD11: The other 78rpm Ravel Left Hand Concerto (Cortot?): La Mer; and
Mozart P.C. No. 20 (Doyen?)

CD12: LvB Emperor Concerto (Long) and works by Jolivet, Samezeuih, Aubert; etc.

CD13: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique (c. 1945) and Chopin/Aubert: Nuit


So, possibly an attractive proposition for Munch completists with
over half from 78rpm discs. Many of these had appeared on
privately issued CDs "A Classical Record" ACR 40/41 (Munch Vol. 1)
and ACR 43/44 (Munch Vol. 2). Were there others?

I gratefully acknowledge the discography posted at

http://b.duhoux.free.fr/munch.html

an invaluable guide.


Jerry
Kerrison
2018-07-25 06:57:39 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>
> I gratefully acknowledge the discography posted at
>
> http://b.duhoux.free.fr/munch.html
>
> an invaluable guide.
>
>
> Jerry

Thanks for the link to that discography. I'm glad they listed the 'live' BSO Vaughan Williams's 8th Symphony on 'Pristine' as there is no finer performance of it on disc. In fact, it puts all the others in the shade: check out the 'comments' under this upload. Incidentally, was this the only RVW symphony Munch performed, does anyone know? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Two4qjxmw&t=133s
MarkM
2018-07-25 11:34:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Symphony #8 was the only one he conducted, at least with the BSO, and all performances occurred during the 1957/1958 season (according to the BSO's performance database)
Matthew Silverstein
2018-07-26 14:40:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 9:14:48 AM UTC-5, Jerry wrote:
>
> CDs 1 - 3 (Stereo from EMI, OdP)
>
> CD1: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique & Ravel Daphnis Suite 2
> CD2: Ravel Pavane, Rap. Esp., Piano Concerto in G, Bolero
> CD3: Brahms Symph. No. 1 and Honegger: Symph. No. 2

How is this Brahms 1? I don't think I've ever heard Munch in this symphony. (I quite like his Brahms 2 and 4 on RCA.)

Matty
s***@gmail.com
2018-07-26 18:07:35 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Munch did a Brahms 1st w Boston. Nicely done, but I would rate others higher.

Stan Punzel
Invocation
2018-07-26 23:17:55 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
For the interests of Munch completists, Eloquence will pack all of Munch's Decca recordings in a boxset for release early next year, with new remastering.


在 2018年7月24日星期二 UTC-4上午10:14:48,Jerry写道:
> On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 9:01:18 PM UTC-4, John Fowler wrote:
> > To be released in September.
> > Apparently it includes Munch's pre-Boston mono recordings with the Paris Conservatoire + the stereo Erato recordings with the French Natl Radio Orchestra + the post-Boston stereo recordings with Orchestre de Paris.
>
> Oh, the stupidity of Amazon's track listings. No apparent need to
> acknowledge composers.
>
> As far as I can tell:
>
> CDs 1 - 3 (Stereo from EMI, OdP)
>
> CD1: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique & Ravel Daphnis Suite 2
> CD2: Ravel Pavane, Rap. Esp., Piano Concerto in G, Bolero
> CD3: Brahms Symph. No. 1 and Honegger: Symph. No. 2
>
> CDs 4 - 6 (Stereo from Erato)
>
> CD4: Lalo & Saint-Saens Cello Concerti
> CD5: Roussel Symphs. 3 & 4 and Suite in F
> CD6: Honegger Symph. No. 4 & Duttileux Metaboles and Symph. No. 2
>
> CDs 7 - 13 (All 78s from HMV/VsM, Columbia, Pathe)
>
> CD7: Saint-Saens 4th PC (Cortot) a Vivaldi V.C. and "Mozart" V.C. No. 7
> (Soriano) and a "Berceuse" (haven't yet nailed down this one).
>
> CD8: Bloch V.C. (Szigeti); one of the two Ravel Left Hand Concerti
> Munch left on 78s, and Mozart V.C. No. 5 (Thibaud)
>
> CD9: Honegger Danse des Morts and Symphony No. 2 and Tchaikovsky
> P.C. No. 1 (Konstantinoff)
>
> CD10: Hoffmann (attrib. Bach) Cantata 189; Halffter Rap. Portugesa (Long);
> Works by Delannoy; Liszt 1st P.C. (Benvenuti (?) from Pathe, 1941)
>
> CD11: The other 78rpm Ravel Left Hand Concerto (Cortot?): La Mer; and
> Mozart P.C. No. 20 (Doyen?)
>
> CD12: LvB Emperor Concerto (Long) and works by Jolivet, Samezeuih, Aubert; etc.
>
> CD13: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique (c. 1945) and Chopin/Aubert: Nuit
>
>
> So, possibly an attractive proposition for Munch completists with
> over half from 78rpm discs. Many of these had appeared on
> privately issued CDs "A Classical Record" ACR 40/41 (Munch Vol. 1)
> and ACR 43/44 (Munch Vol. 2). Were there others?
>
> I gratefully acknowledge the discography posted at
>
> http://b.duhoux.free.fr/munch.html
>
> an invaluable guide.
>
>
> Jerry
Invocation
2018-07-27 18:01:49 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
在 2018年7月24日星期二 UTC-4上午10:14:48,Jerry写道:
> On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 9:01:18 PM UTC-4, John Fowler wrote:
> > To be released in September.
> > Apparently it includes Munch's pre-Boston mono recordings with the Paris Conservatoire + the stereo Erato recordings with the French Natl Radio Orchestra + the post-Boston stereo recordings with Orchestre de Paris.
>
> Oh, the stupidity of Amazon's track listings. No apparent need to
> acknowledge composers.
>
> As far as I can tell:
>
> CDs 1 - 3 (Stereo from EMI, OdP)
>
> CD1: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique & Ravel Daphnis Suite 2
> CD2: Ravel Pavane, Rap. Esp., Piano Concerto in G, Bolero
> CD3: Brahms Symph. No. 1 and Honegger: Symph. No. 2
>
> CDs 4 - 6 (Stereo from Erato)
>
> CD4: Lalo & Saint-Saens Cello Concerti
> CD5: Roussel Symphs. 3 & 4 and Suite in F
> CD6: Honegger Symph. No. 4 & Duttileux Metaboles and Symph. No. 2
>
> CDs 7 - 13 (All 78s from HMV/VsM, Columbia, Pathe)
>
> CD7: Saint-Saens 4th PC (Cortot) a Vivaldi V.C. and "Mozart" V.C. No. 7
> (Soriano) and a "Berceuse" (haven't yet nailed down this one).
>
> CD8: Bloch V.C. (Szigeti); one of the two Ravel Left Hand Concerti
> Munch left on 78s, and Mozart V.C. No. 5 (Thibaud)
>
> CD9: Honegger Danse des Morts and Symphony No. 2 and Tchaikovsky
> P.C. No. 1 (Konstantinoff)
>
> CD10: Hoffmann (attrib. Bach) Cantata 189; Halffter Rap. Portugesa (Long);
> Works by Delannoy; Liszt 1st P.C. (Benvenuti (?) from Pathe, 1941)
>
> CD11: The other 78rpm Ravel Left Hand Concerto (Cortot?): La Mer; and
> Mozart P.C. No. 20 (Doyen?)
>
> CD12: LvB Emperor Concerto (Long) and works by Jolivet, Samezeuih, Aubert; etc.
>
> CD13: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique (c. 1945) and Chopin/Aubert: Nuit
>
>
> So, possibly an attractive proposition for Munch completists with
> over half from 78rpm discs. Many of these had appeared on
> privately issued CDs "A Classical Record" ACR 40/41 (Munch Vol. 1)
> and ACR 43/44 (Munch Vol. 2). Were there others?
>
> I gratefully acknowledge the discography posted at
>
> http://b.duhoux.free.fr/munch.html
>
> an invaluable guide.
>
>
> Jerry


Details have been released:
http://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2018/07/27/1104
Haydn House CD
2018-08-05 12:38:08 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 11:10:14 PM UTC-4, Randy Lane wrote:
> Found on Amazon.fr today
>
> Release Date 09/28/2018
>
> https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07FDQJ5QZ/

Just imagine a complete box of ALL Munch/BSO concert broadcast recordings? That would be the ultimate release!
Haydn House CD
www.HaydnHouse.com
drh8h
2018-08-05 12:52:37 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 8:38:11 AM UTC-4, Haydn House CD wrote:
> On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 11:10:14 PM UTC-4, Randy Lane wrote:
> > Found on Amazon.fr today
> >
> > Release Date 09/28/2018
> >
> > https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07FDQJ5QZ/
>
> Just imagine a complete box of ALL Munch/BSO concert broadcast recordings? That would be the ultimate release!
> Haydn House CD
> www.HaydnHouse.com

With U.S. copyright laws and the unions, we should be glad for the few available on the BSO site and not expect much more. Have to be content with dribbles from foreign sources. West Hill did a good job in some of their volumes, but I think that label left us.

DH
Loading...