Fey's health; Haydn series cancelled?
Bastian Kubis
2015-11-03 19:35:31 UTC
I posted the message below earlier today on the Haydn forum; as the
first two replies indicated that, although not really very new
information, this apparently hasn't too widely spread, I'll repeat it here.

I was looking for information on possible new releases of Fey's Haydn
series, as there hasn't been anything new for more than a year. First
thing I noticed: what's happend to Hänssler Classics? The old web site
seems gone; there is only one about Profil and the "Edition Günter
Hänssler" now: <http://www.haenssler-classic.de/profil/index.php>, and
the links to the old Haydn edition that one still finds via Google are
dead. The only information I could find then is in German newpaper
articles in the "Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung", so the following links are only
for those who read German.

A brief note that the Haydn edition has been cancelled by Hänssler is
more than a year old:
<http://www.rnz.de/kultur-tipps/kultur-regional_artikel,-Aus-fuer-Haydn-_arid,3263.html>
It says sales have been below expectations; as a result, they couldn't /
didn't want to comply with Fey's demands for higher payment.

Much more important than a bunch of CDs not being recorded: briefly
after that decision, in October last year, Fey seems to have had a
severe accident at home, with craniocerebral injury. An interview with
a member of the orchestra in February:
<http://www.rnz.de/kultur-tipps/kultur-regional_artikel,-Heidelberger-Sinfoniker-sind-in-ihrer-Existenz-gefaehrdet-_arid,76721.html>
says that he is recovering very slowly; as of August this year:
<http://www.rnz.de/kultur-tipps/kultur-regional_artikel,-Heidelberger-Sinfoniker-spielen-weiterhin-ohne-Thomas-Fey-_arid,122464.html>,
it was unclear whether he will ever be able to conduct again. As a
consequence, also the orchestra's existence is in serious danger (as it
is not one of the state-funded German orchestras).

In the interview with Heidelberg orchestra member Michael Neuhaus, he
says that they still want to record symphony No. 101 as the final London
one still missing; Frieder Bernius has conducted it in concert very
recently:
<http://www.rnz.de/kultur-tipps/kultur-regional_artikel,-Frieder-Bernius-dirigiert-am-Sonntag-erstmals-die-Heidelberger-Sinfoniker-_arid,134651.html>,
and apparently the orchestra want to record it without conductor to
honor Fey:
<http://www.morgenweb.de/nachrichten/kultur/regionale-kultur/ziel-weiter-qualitat-beweisen-1.2379917>.
I don't know whether this is a statement concerning their expectations
to be able to re-unite with their founding conductor.

Apologies if this has been known to people around here; I just found out
for myself. I would be grateful if others who may know more would share
their information.

Bastian
Dana John Hill
2015-11-03 20:08:11 UTC
On 11/3/2015 2:35 PM, Bastian Kubis wrote:

Thanks for this.

Dana
Bob Harper
2015-11-04 00:18:39 UTC
On 11/3/15 12:08 PM, Dana John Hill wrote:
> On 11/3/2015 2:35 PM, Bastian Kubis wrote:
>

> Thanks for this.
>
> Dana
Yes, thanks, though I wish it were not so.

Bob Harper
maready
2015-11-04 02:38:31 UTC

Thanks for this information --- I have not seen anything about this in non-German language press. Terrible news.
Bastian Kubis
2015-11-04 08:12:43 UTC
I hesitate to write this in this context, but if anybody (for whom it is
economical to order CDs from Germany) feels like filling potential gaps
in their Haydn-by-Fey collection now, JPC seems already to be selling
the series off for less than half price...

Bastian
M***@aol.com
2018-08-16 22:25:12 UTC

If all that is remaining to be recorded is Haydn's Symphony No. 101, please keep me posted when that recording will be available
Ricardo Jimenez
2018-08-16 23:23:10 UTC
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 15:25:12 -0700 (PDT), ***@aol.com wrote:

>If all that is remaining to be recorded is Haydn's Symphony No. 101, please keep me posted when that recording will be available

It is included in the set of 12 London Symphonies by Fey and the
Heidelberger Sinfoniker 2018. I've listend to the set on Spotify.
Bob Harper
2018-08-17 00:08:06 UTC
On 8/16/18 4:23 PM, Ricardo Jimenez wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 15:25:12 -0700 (PDT), ***@aol.com wrote:
>
>> If all that is remaining to be recorded is Haydn's Symphony No. 101, please keep me posted when that recording will be available
>
> It is included in the set of 12 London Symphonies by Fey and the
> Heidelberger Sinfoniker 2018. I've listend to the set on Spotify.

One hopes that #101 will be released with some other thus far unrecorded
symphony, even if it isn't Thomas Fey conducting (and what a shame his
injury is!). I have all the others, and even at the low price asked
would prefer not to buy this box, especially since some of the other
London Symphonies are coupled with earlier symphonies.