Ormandy dream box?
Add Reply
Wolfgang Sebastian Beethoven
2017-09-01 23:35:01 UTC
In this age of mega box sets:

Mozart 225
Jascha Heifetz Complete
Karajan Complete Recordings
etc.

could there be an Ormandy box in the works (hopefully presented like the Gould, Rubinstein, Yo Yo Ma boxes). How many discs would it contain if in the original jacket format? What percentage would be mono?
Marc P.
2017-09-02 05:15:29 UTC
I would be thrilled but I'd be stunned if it happened.
Precious Roy
2017-09-02 06:22:28 UTC
Really? I think it's likely. When you get a giant Cluytens box can giant Ormandy be far behind? I just hope it contains everything including his mono recordings, like the recent Serkin box.
drh8h
2017-09-02 11:32:54 UTC
Post by Precious Roy
Post by Marc P.
I would be thrilled but I'd be stunned if it happened.
Really? I think it's likely. When you get a giant Cluytens box can giant Ormandy be far behind? I just hope it contains everything including his mono recordings, like the recent Serkin box.
It would also have to include all of his prewar RCAs with the Minneapolis and Philadelphia Orchestras. This could be a huge box. Maybe issue in two parts-mono and stereo? But I think we are dreaming. Only a tiny fraction of his pre-stereo records have ever been officially issued on CD. They would all have to be remastered, unless Sony did that already, doubtful, and have them in queue somewhere. I am still wondering if they will ever put out an absolutely complete Bernstein set, RCAs and Columbias. They dance around it, but never do it, now less than one year from LBs 100th birth anniversary.

Dennis
j***@gmail.com
2017-09-02 17:02:12 UTC
My sense is that Sony may not remaster all of Bernstein's Columbia and Rca albums and put them in one box given the size of the Bernstein catalog. I think this is why Sony has decided to remaster 100 discs worth of his output: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leonard-Bernstein-Remastered/dp/B072M4GVVB. Of course this doesn't preclude Sony from remastering the rest (or a subset of the rest) if this box sells well. My view is that this could apply to Ormandy as well - we might see a selection of remastered recordings in a huge box like the aforementioned Bernstein box. Personally, I hope Sony is working on a complete Columbia/Epic Szell box first.
Bob Harper
2017-09-02 19:13:19 UTC
(snip) Personally, I hope Sony is working on a complete Columbia/Epic Szell box first.
From your keyboard to Sony's decision makers!