New piano cd's at Netherlands Radio 4
2018-07-22 19:31:45 UTC
New Harmonia Mundi cd of Debussy, Book 2 of the Preludes complete , and Debussy’s transcription of his “ La Mer “ for piano-4 hands ( ! ) . Pianists Alexander Melnikov and Olga Pashchenko in “ La Mer”, Melnikov on a period (?) Erard in the Preludes :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/alexander-melnikov-en-olga-pashchenko-debussy

“ Prepare to be spellbound…This does not sound like an old piano, merely a distinctive one in the hands of a truly remarkable player…It is not only the individual sounds that impress…but also Melnikov’s ability to combine seemingly contradictory textures, with sharply drawn detail surrounded by a shimmering haze as if multiple pianos are being used. This is indeed compelling pianism.” BBC Music Magazine,August, 2018

“ La Mer “ sounds almost a completely different work , perhaps Debussy’s intent ?
Heard 4 of the Preludes ( the Radio 4 track listing is not accurate ). Not much “ haze.”

Jonathan Plowright plays solo piano music of Josef Suk, on Hyperion. I heard the 5 “Moods “ , Op.10 :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/josef-suk-jonathan-plowright
AB
2018-07-23 01:07:45 UTC
listening to the Suk---- very interesting. Very well played. Thanks

Arri
Bozo
2018-07-23 01:24:53 UTC
Post by AB
listening to the Suk---- very interesting. Very well played. Thanks
Glad you enjoy.

Here is pianist Plowright playing the rarely heard Paderewski Piano Sonata live in Ireland, and interrupted TWICE by an automated " the museum is now closed " public address system:

( Part 1 of 4 )
Frank Berger
2018-07-23 11:51:14 UTC
Post by AB
Post by Bozo
https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/alexander-melnikov-en-olga-pashchenko-debussy
“ Prepare to be spellbound…This does not sound like an old piano, merely a distinctive one in the hands of a truly remarkable player…It is not only the individual sounds that impress…but also Melnikov’s ability to combine seemingly contradictory textures, with sharply drawn detail surrounded by a shimmering haze as if multiple pianos are being used. This is indeed compelling pianism.” BBC Music Magazine,August, 2018
“ La Mer “ sounds almost a completely different work , perhaps Debussy’s intent ?
Heard 4 of the Preludes ( the Radio 4 track listing is not accurate ). Not much “ haze.”
https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/josef-suk-jonathan-plowright
listening to the Suk---- very interesting. Very well played. Thanks
Arri
Plowright has 5 CDs of Brahms on BIS. and a CD of Paderewski with the
sonata.
m***@gmail.com
I was not very convinced of these recordings I have to admit. The first two CDs were quite good, the later ones suffered from rather slow tempi (which made in particular the early pieces sound sluggish).
HT
2018-07-23 07:28:21 UTC
The new Kholodenko:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/skrjabin-pianowerken-door-vadym-kholodenko

Have yet to listen to it.

BTW, Melnikov is becoming more sui generis with every new recording. Sui generis is not always a good thing. Have yet to listen to Plowright. Suk is an interesting composer.

2018-07-23 13:27:42 UTC
BTW, Melnikov is becoming more sui generis with every new recording. Sui generis is not always a good >thing.
Agreed, and despite BBC positive review, I'm not convinced a good thing in this new Debussy Preludes cd.The Suk Op.10 "Moods" was a one-hear for me , have not heard the rest of that cd yet.
Bozo
2018-07-23 15:10:05 UTC
I completed listening to Melnikov’s Debussy Preludes and Plowright’s Suk works.Some interesting Suk worth hearing, but all one-hears for me. Melnikov worth hearing, even if not convincing . “ …he points up the modernism of the music to such an extent that (for instance) Ondine sounds like The Rite of Spring.” Presto Classical.

Not cd’s I’ll acquire. Thanks for the Kholodenko link.
Bozo
2018-07-23 16:40:56 UTC
Thanks for the Kholodenko link.
That new Harmonia Mundi cd is all Scriabin, Op.13 , 16 , 42 Preludes, all complete, 4th and 5th Sonatas, “ Vers la flamme “ , Op.34 and 36 Poems :

Uniformly wonderful , personal playing all , especially 4th Sonata, Poems, “Mosquito “ Etude. May be in the Horowitz, Richter, Sofronitsky league some day , perhaps already.
m***@gmail.com
2018-07-24 08:06:02 UTC
Thanks for the Kholodenko link.
Uniformly wonderful , personal playing all , especially 4th Sonata, Poems, “Mosquito “ Etude. May be in the Horowitz, Richter, Sofronitsky league some day , perhaps already.
It's excellent indeed, I share your view on that recording. The last edition of the French classical music magazine "Diapason" gave it their highest mark (Diapason d'Or).

It's also available as HiRes download on Qobuz, for example.
Frank Berger
2018-07-24 10:50:29 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Thanks for the Kholodenko link.
Uniformly wonderful , personal playing all , especially 4th Sonata, Poems, “Mosquito “ Etude. May be in the Horowitz, Richter, Sofronitsky league some day , perhaps already.
It's excellent indeed, I share your view on that recording. The last edition of the French classical music magazine "Diapason" gave it their highest mark (Diapason d'Or).
It's also available as HiRes download on Qobuz, for example.
I believe I read a review that compared Kholodenko's Scriabin
unfavorably to Sudbin's.
HT
2018-07-24 11:52:18 UTC
I believe I read a review that compared Kholodenko's Scriabin
unfavorably to Sudbin's.
Sudbin's Scriabin is exceptional. It means that Kholodenko can still be very good.

2018-07-24 13:42:03 UTC
I believe I read a review that compared Kholodenko's Scriabin
unfavorably to Sudbin's.
I probably have heard too little of Sudan's Scriabin, have had mixed reactions to what have heard.