Recordings of live performances of note - XX
2018-07-15 20:12:53 UTC
Beatrice Rana, pianist, Prokofieff PC # 3 , live video, National Orchestra of France under Emmanuel Krivine, May 31, 2018, Paris ,sound not great , but worth hearing . She has a good measure of this work as she does with the Prok # 2 :

https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/maison-de-la-radio-auditorium-ferroud-prokofiev-tchaikovski-rana-onf-krivine

Encores : Chopin Prelude # 13 , Gigue from Bach’s Partita # 1
Bozo
2018-07-16 13:51:22 UTC
Yuja Wang plays Prokofieff PC # 5 with WDR Symphony Cologne under Jacob Hrusa at 2018 Ruhr Festival :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2375323

The expected technical brilliance, but also transparency and ability to make sense of the composer’s rhetoric and hold lines in the first 3 movs., appropriate elegiac atmosphere in the slow 4th mov. , not Richter’s intensity, darkness in the final mov., or elsewhere, but the work perhaps can bear her more “ cheerful “ approach as well. Whether one agrees with her approach or not, glad she is advocating this neglected work so it is perhaps more widely heard.

Here’s pianist Dino Ciani and Abbado playing that 5th PC in Rome, 1968, posted here earlier :

Bozo
2018-07-16 14:06:31 UTC
Following up on the Richter discussion in the separate Kempff-Fischer thread here :

A Richter lp in my collection is “Richter in Italy “ , an Ange lpl of live Schumann small pieces from his 1962 Italian tour, not sure these were ever kept together on a single, later cd (? ), but some of his more enjoyable playing for me especially “ Papillons” and Op. 26 , FWW :

( Angel lp cover )

I believe these are all from that Angel lp :

( Papillons, Op.2 )

( 2nd , G minor Sonata , Op.22 )

(Faschingsschwank aus Wien , Op.26 )
Bozo
2018-07-24 15:49:00 UTC
National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America ( ages 16-18 ), from 26 States and Puerto Rico, Micheal Tilson Thomas conductor , live at Carnegie Hall a few days ago :

https://www.wqxr.org/shows/carnegie

“ Brass Tacks “, by Ted Hearne ( World premiere )
Gershwin, Piano Concerto in F, Jean-Yves Thibaudet, pianist
Intermission
Sibelius, Symphony No.2

Some fine solos at start of Gershwin slow mov., and throughout that mov., must have been nervous moments for those youngsters. Liked MTT/ Thibaudet’s interpretations. Not my fav Sibelius , but felt owed it to them to listen ; very fine, inspired playing. I think they may be going on an Asian tour with MTT.

2 encores : "Hoe-Down" from Copland's "Rodeo " ; Meredith Monk , " Panda Chant II ".

Great deal of fun , this concert.
l***@gmail.com
2018-08-01 01:39:06 UTC
http://youtu.be/F6EWD5SNJG8 ( Angel lp cover )
http://youtu.be/VpylB0vlNsg ( Papillons, Op.2 )
http://youtu.be/n_jCFLWeMto ( 2nd , G minor Sonata , Op.22 )
http://youtu.be/o7QK4qkGNLQ (Faschingsschwank aus Wien , Op.26 )
Hi Bozo,

The recent Warner big box of their complete Richter recordings does include the Angel Italy items, which were recorded by DG under a splitting/sharing arrangement.His Papillons is delicious.One item was aborted when a stagehand saw a cable plugged into a mains socket and pulled it out.WE will never know what we missed.

Best,

Mort Linder
Bozo
2018-08-01 02:05:34 UTC
Thanks !! Quite agree about "Papillons".
m***@gmail.com
2018-07-24 15:52:56 UTC
https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2375323
The expected technical brilliance, but also transparency and ability to make sense of the composer’s rhetoric and hold lines in the first 3 movs., appropriate elegiac atmosphere in the slow 4th mov. , not Richter’s intensity, darkness in the final mov., or elsewhere, but the work perhaps can bear her more “ cheerful “ approach as well. Whether one agrees with her approach or not, glad she is advocating this neglected work so it is perhaps more widely heard.
I listened to that as well (and recorded it from satellite radio) and found it quite well played. Also good to see she plays less well-known and seldom played works (the two Bartok concertos she played recently also fall in to that category I find).

On a sidenote: Does she ever play another encore than the Prokofiev Toccata? I have seen her several times in concert and she played that one every, single, time...
Bozo
2018-07-25 15:09:51 UTC
Enjoyed this very sprightly, low-fat, yet appropriately passionate reading of the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata at Holland’s Wonderfeel 2018, cellist and QEB winner Victor Julien-Laferriere , pianist Theo Fouchenneret , my first hearing of these two artists:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/8083-wonderfeel-2018-victor-julien-laferriere-theo-fouchenneret

( The baby apparently enjoyed , too, as quieted down. )
Bozo
2018-07-27 16:34:11 UTC
"Fur Elise " for piano and orchestra :

Egads.
AB
2018-07-27 17:32:24 UTC
http://youtu.be/e4d0LOuP4Uw
Egads.
very exciting!
AB
Bozo
2018-07-28 18:39:00 UTC
Lucas Debargue in Moscow,June,2018 :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/lucas-debargue-plays-chopin-beethoven-and-bach/

If you dont have a free Medici TV account, will need to sign up for a free account to log in, but simple, quick.

▪ Frederic Chopin, Polonaise No. 6 in A-flat Major, Op. 53 "Heroic"
▪ Frederic Chopin, Barcarolle in F-sharp Major, Op. 60
▪ Frederic Chopin, Scherzo No. 2 in B-flat Minor, Op. 31
▪ Frederic Chopin, Nocturne in C minor, Op. 48, No. 1
▪ Frederic Chopin, Scherzo No. 1 in B Minor, Op. 20
Intermission
▪ Johann Sebastian Bach, Toccata in C minor, BWV 911
▪ Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor, Op. 111

▪ Tchaikovsky Concert Hall (Moscow, Russia)
▪ Sunday, June 17, 2018
Production: Moscow Philharmonic Society

Interesting selection and ordering of works.You may hear differently , my impression
Debargue feels all the Chopin “Heroic” and are thus presented. The Bach Toccata is extended and expanded “heroically “ by the first mov. of Op.111 and that mov’s. own toccata-like elements, the “Arietta “ , with both heroic and introspective elements as with the Chopins, bringing his recital to the affirmative end with which it began.

One encore ; not sure, possibly a Medtner or Tchaikovsky or Lyapunov ?

One may not agree with the interpretations , but Debargue usually worth hearing as in this recital.
Bozo
2018-07-30 22:55:50 UTC
Free video, Sir Andras Schiff ( mit Boesendorfer ) , Verbier Festival Chamber Orchestra, Gabor Takacs-Nagy, Beethoven PC # 4, July 30,2018:

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/takacs-nagy-haydn/

Not technically pristine, but at this rarefied level of expression no matter. Not to be missed,IMHO.

Encore : Schubert, Hungarian Melody in B minor, D.817. Takacs-Nagy came out and sat with the woodwinds to hear the encore.

Also on the programme, Haydn’s “The Seven Last Words of Christ “ ( I did not hear ) :

Christian Thompson | Reader
Urs Bachmann | Reader (Piano tuner)
Tecla Gucci | Reader (Staff, Verbier Festival Academy)
Charles Sigel | Reader (Journalist)
Rodion Shchedrin | Reader (Composer)
Jan Lisiecki | Reader (Pianist)
Gábor Takács-Nagy | Reader (Conductor)
Bozo
2018-07-31 22:48:21 UTC
Trifonov Day at Verbier, July 31,2018.

World premiere of Daniil Trifonov’s piano quintet, “Quintetto Concertante “ :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/world-premiere-daniil-trifonov-quintet-piano-and-strings/

Daniil Trifonov | Pianist
Vilde Frang | Violinist
Kirill Troussov | Violinist
Ori Kam | Violist
Clemens Hagen | Cellist

I enjoyed the work much more than his “Rachmania “ suite or Piano Concerto. Very nice ; will want to re-hear.

His solo recital later same day , with the great Mompou piece , and one of my fav Rachmaninoff works ( the latter a challenge in places even for Trifonov ) . Except in the trio of the Sonata’s slow mov., and a bit in the final presto, much freer, more spontaneous, less over-wrought playing in both halves than some of his live playing I’ve recently heard. Somewhat like Rachmaninoff’s recording, almost a forte return of the Sonata’s march after the slow mov’s. trio. Bravos all ‘round from me ( which means he’ll still need at least $ 5 for a Starbucks ) :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/trifonov-mompou-schumann-grieg-barber-tchaikovsky-rachmaninov-chopin/

Federico Mompou, Variations on a Theme of Chopin

Robert Schumann, Carnaval, Op. 9 : Chopin
Edvard Grieg, Moods, Op. 73 : V. Étude (Hommage à Chopin)
Samuel Barber, Nocturne, Op. 33 (Homage to John Field)
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, 18 Pieces, Op. 72 : No. 15: Un poco di Chopin

Sergei Rachmaninov, Variations on a Theme of Chopin, Op. 22

Pause

Frederic Chopin, Variations on « Là ci darem la mano », Op. 2
( As did Bolet ,Trifonov skips the final ,flashy Presto Variation ; Fiorentino played it .)

Frederic Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2 in B flat Minor, Op. 35

Encores :
Frederic Chopin / Alfred Cortot, Sonata for Cello and Piano in G Minor, Op. 65 ( my first hearing )
Frederic Chopin, Fantaisie-impromptu in C-sharp Minor, Op. 66

P.S. FYI, FWW, at the Medici Verbier site is also Kissin's 2018 recital consisting of one work, the Schumann 3rd Piano Sonata ( "Concerto Without Orchestra " ). I heard Horowitz play this work live in 1976, have his recording, frankly dont care much for the work, so did not hear Kissin.
Bozo

FYI,FWW, also at the Medici TV Verbier site is Kissin's 2018 recital of one work only, Schumann's 3rd Piano Sonata ( " Concerto Without Orchestra" ). I heard Horowitz play it live in 1975 or 1976 and have his recording, dont care for the work , so did not hear Kissin.
Bozo
2018-08-01 21:26:30 UTC
https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/takacs-nagy-haydn/
Not technically pristine, but at this rarefied level of expression no matter. Not to be missed,IMHO.
IF Schiff comes to USA again, get your tickets early ; may not come again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25450716

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/trump-congratulates-viktor-orban.html

https://tinyurl.com/y9qpf9al
Raymond Hall
2018-08-02 04:15:09 UTC
Schiff's masterclasses on YT are a delight. Well worth the effort.

2018-08-02 11:40:51 UTC
Schiff's masterclasses on YT are a delight. Well worth the effort.

Ray Hall, Taree

Speaking of Schiff and YouTube, check out the most unlikely piano duet team of Schiff and Yuja Wang playing 2 Slavonic Dances by Dvorak.

This is from the very recent 25th Anniversary Gala from Verbier - with many other unlikely pairings and at least 1 embarrassing mishap (see Wm Tell Overture for 8 pianists).

Just enter Verbier 25
Bozo
2018-08-02 13:48:00 UTC
A mix of pianists I follow :

Mikhail Pletnev’s 2006 composition, Fantasia Helvetica for Two Pianos and Orchestra ( Swiss Fantasy ) , played by Pletnev and Lucas Debargue at 2018 Verbier with Verbier Festival Orchestra,Stanislav Kochanovsky , free listening , my first hearing of the work :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/kochankovsky-pletnev-rachmaninov-glazounov-argerich-kissin-1/

In a departure from his more frequently presented repertoire, pianist Llyr Williams plays Scriabin’s Piano Sonata No.5 at 2018 Belfast Chamber Music Festival , at about 48:00 in :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bclv1y

In Moscow recently, Andrei Korobeinikov plays Chopin 3rd Sonata, Rachmaninoff Corelli Variations, and Liszt B minor Sonata . I heard only the Corelli , very well done by Korobeinokov:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bclxrp
Raymond Hall
2018-08-02 14:23:32 UTC

This shows Schiff and Wang in the Dvorak.

2018-08-05 00:33:11 UTC
Trifonov's Prokofieff 2nd Piano Concerto at 2018 Verbier .

Was not going to watch , but glad I did. With Noseda, Verbier Festival Orchestra . Simply put , not to be missed !! :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/noseda-prokofiev-matsuev/

The link is ok, “ matsuev “ is a typo.

I would have suggestions for the 3rd mov. here, but small potatoes.
Bozo
2018-08-05 19:23:03 UTC
Yuja Wang plays Prokofieff PC’s 5,3 with Noseda, Verbier Festival Orchestra, and the Orchestra plays the composer’s “Love for Three Oranges “ Symphonic Suite,Op.33bis ( my first hearing of the Suite ) :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/gianandrea-noseda-conducts-prokofiev-yuja-wang-1/

One of the pleasures of watching this Festival is the excellence of this Orchestra , which I believe used to be, maybe still is, called the “ Verbier Festival Youth Orchestra.” All the Prokofieff works here make great demands , virtuoso performances by these youngsters.

The 4th and final movs. of the PC# 5 are special , remind me in places of his “Romeo and Juliet” ballet score.# 5 a hugely demanding work for the pianist, Wang’s conception not as dark or menacing as some, but Wang ’s “ lighter” touch very effective, to my ear. Wang here will not displace anyone’s prior fav Prok 3, but hers certainly worth hearing. Encore was the last mov. of the 7th Piano Sonata.
Bozo
2018-08-05 21:50:40 UTC
Violinist Kristof Barati and pianist Lucas Debargue play the Franck Violin Sonata at 2018 Verbier ; a standing ovation for their performance :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/barati-debargue-debussy-brahms-franck/

Also on the programme , the Debussy Violin Sonata and Brahms Violin Sonata # 1 ; I heard only the closing Franck.
Bozo
2018-08-06 18:10:17 UTC
Sir Andras Schiff tries to teach a youngster how to play a Bach Partita without moving like a " snake charmer" and to " think before you play ." Fascinating 64 minutes, but probably seemed longer for the youngster ! :

https://www.medici.tv/en/masterclasses/master-class-schiff/
Bozo
2018-08-08 21:06:03 UTC
Dmitry Masleev in recital,Lyon,France , March,2018. I was surprised he won the 2015 Tchaikovsky Competition. Here’s a more recent example. How not to play Schubert, Liszt , Tchaikovsky, and Prokofieff ? :

https://www.francemusique.fr/recherche?q=masleev

Schubert, Impromptus D.899
Liszt, "Totentanz "
Tchaikovsky, excerpts from " Pieces " , Op.72
Prokofieff,Piano Sonata No.2, Op.14
HT
2018-08-09 07:06:34 UTC
Masleev has a great technique and a beautiful tone. But somehow he cannot even play a Schubert impromptu without wrong notes.

2018-08-09 13:38:44 UTC
I think misses in the Liszt,too ? What little of his playing I've heard , seems always in a rush. Not sure his heart/head really with the Schubert here. Best moment of recital was slow mov. of the Prokofieff.
Bozo
2018-08-09 14:38:12 UTC
Pianist Anne Queffelec plays Mozart K.482 PC and Bartok 3rd PC at 2018 La Roque with Sinfonia Varsovia, Lio Kuokman,coducting .Great pairing, great playing as usual :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/anne-queffelec-lio-kuokman-et-le-sinfonia-varsovia-a-la-roque-d-antheron-63941?xtmc=La%20Roque&xtnp=1&xtcr=8

Or : http://tinyurl.com/y8xuvxpd

Mozart starts about 1:13 :00 in , the Bartok about 2:23:00 .
Bozo
2018-08-09 15:33:48 UTC
https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/lucas-debargue-plays-chopin-beethoven-and-bach/
Same first half as Moscow recital, but after Pause, Debargue plays Szymanowski’s 2nd Piano Sonata, Op.21, at 2018 La Roque :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/recital-de-lucas-debargue-a-la-roque-d-antheron-63903?xtmc=La%20Roque&xtnp=1&xtcr=3

Second half starts about 2:13:00 in. I’m not very familiar with this work , been a long time since I listened to my Naxos cd with Martin Roscoe, but a seemingly tour de force reading by Debargue here.
p***@comcast.net
2018-08-09 16:38:00 UTC
And don't miss the Barati-Debargue recital from Verbier.
It actually deserved the now pro forma standing ovation.
It's superb.
Bozo
2018-08-09 18:09:13 UTC
He also played 4 encores , the last being a jazz improvisation.
Bozo
2018-08-10 14:24:56 UTC
Hamelin plays Beethoven / Liszt “Adelaide “,Op.46 ( my first hearing ), Schubert D.959 A major Sonata and Schumann’s Op.17 Fantasy at Schwartzenberg, June 29, 2018 :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2384009

The podcast is a bit of pain as you have to sign in by clicking on “ connectez-vous”, then sign up thru either Google or Facebook, then probably have to reload the page, but the ticket price is good !

Seems to me there is more darkness in the Schubert than Hamelin seems to feel ; to me a bit more joy ,less wistfulness, in the Schumann ; but I’m hardly Hamelin.

As Venice has gone, so goes Amsterdam ? Certainly not the situation when I was there in Feb.,1970 :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/netherlands/amsterdam/articles/amsterdam-gets-tough-on-tourist-excess/

Are these tourists mainly ugly Americans ?

Hamburg’s Reeperbahn ; Berlin’s Kurfurstendamm; Paris’ Champs d’Elysee ; Rome’s Via Veneto or Piazza di Spagna ?
Bozo
2018-08-10 16:13:21 UTC
And Hamelin joins the Takacs Quartet at 2018 Edinburgh Festival in a new one for me, Dohnanyi’s Piano Quintet, Op.1 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bdbtyd ( Starts at about 1 : 17 : 00 into the programme )

Per Hamelin perhaps the most remarkable Op.1 “ in musical history” , and “ without a drop of “ Hungarian folk music in it. ( Op.1’s Berg Piano Sonata , Brahms’ 1st Piano Sonata , Paganini Caprices ? ) Worth hearing, but a one-hear for me. Programme also has Takacs playing Mozart’s 12th Quartet and Dvorak’s “ American “ Quartet I did not hear.
Bozo
2018-08-12 13:15:43 UTC
Pianist Nelson Freire plays Brahms’ PC # 2 at La Roque, Aug.11, 2018, with Sinfonia Varsovia,Lio Kuokman, starts about 1 : 10 : 00 in to the broadcast :

http://tinyurl.com/y8gjzttk

Listening to now “grand seigneur “ Freire play the Brahms 2nd is a bit like wearing one’s favorite shoes , watching a nice sunset with a fav glass of red, or conversing with good friends, nothing much new and too comfortable perhaps , but never regretted.
Bozo
2018-08-13 16:44:28 UTC
A Bozhanov sighting, Feb., 2017 in Germany, playing Schumann’s “Davidsbuntlertanze “, Op.6 ; excellent :

Seems active :

https://www.evgenibozhanov.com/
Bozo
2018-08-14 19:27:19 UTC
http://youtu.be/K5Kd4wbQE4U
Part of that same 2017 recital , Liszt's "Dante" Sonata in an interpretation very individual to Bozhanov ( YT sound not quite as " good " as in the Schumann. but worth hearing ):

Al Eisner
2018-08-16 20:50:56 UTC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bdbtyd ( Starts at about 1 : 17 : 00 into the programme )
Per Hamelin perhaps the most remarkable Op.1 “ in musical history” , and “ without a drop of “ Hungarian folk music in it. ( Op.1’s Berg Piano Sonata , Brahms’ 1st Piano Sonata , Paganini Caprices ? ) Worth hearing, but a one-hear for me. Programme also has Takacs playing Mozart’s 12th Quartet and Dvorak’s “ American “ Quartet I did not hear.
I heard them play the Dohnanyi Op. 1 about six months ago in concert,
quite impressive. (The remainder of the program was different.) More
recently, I had the opportunity to hear that work and Beethoven's Opus
1 #3 in close proximity (by younger artists). While the Dohnanyi is
impressive and highly attractive, I think one could make a case that
at least that third entry in LvB's initial piano trios has more musical
substance and can be just as much fun. Of course, such rankings
are only a (also-fun) game....
Frank Lekens
2018-08-15 07:50:44 UTC
The podcast is a bit of pain as you have to sign in by clicking on “ connectez-vous”, then sign up thru either Google or Facebook, then probably have to reload the page, but the ticket price is good !
You can also register with an e-mail address, and try to make your
browser remember the data. With any luck you won't have to "connecter"
for every single concert separately.
--
Frank Lekens

http://fmlekens.home.xs4all.nl/
https://franklekens.blogspot.nl/
Bozo
2018-08-15 12:46:03 UTC
Thanks !
Bozo
2018-08-16 13:44:13 UTC
Pianist Igor Levit live at Bad Kissingen, July 7, 2018 :

Beethoven, “Diabelli” Variations,Op.120

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2385741

My failing, but I still do not connect much with this work. Levit has a SONY cd set I believe was very well received, with the work coupled with Bach "Goldberg " and Rzewski "People United."
Bozo
2018-08-16 20:33:09 UTC
Aretha Franklin, "Nessun dorma " :

Frank Berger
2018-08-17 02:17:59 UTC
http://youtu.be/3gCuyrKVDCs
Best remembered for other things.
Bozo
2018-08-17 13:22:34 UTC
Original jazz band version of Gershwin’s “ Rhapsody in Blue “ , Benjamin Grosvenor, National Youth Jazz Orchestra, Guy Barker , 2018 Proms :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf47fn

Grosvenor has a Decca cd of this version.
AB
2018-08-17 19:20:05 UTC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf47fn
Grosvenor has a Decca cd of this version.
wonderful playing, such amazing control. piano sound mediocre. is the best instrument available?

AB
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 20:52:43 UTC
Post by AB
Post by Bozo
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf47fn
Grosvenor has a Decca cd of this version.
wonderful playing, such amazing control. piano sound mediocre. is the best instrument available?
AB
Listened to a bunch of Rhapsodys today. Was comforted that my old
favorite still came out on top. That's Mitch Miller conducting the
London PO with David Golub on piano. No idea what orchestration they
use. Miller (on oboist) toured with Gershwin in the 30s and was reputed
to be the greatest expert after the the Gershwins and Oscar Levant were
gone. The orchestra sounds like they were having a great time. I can't
compare Golub to other soloists, but (ducking for cover) doesn't this
work depends more on the conducting and orchestral playing than the solo
work? It's on YouTube. I'd be interested in what y'all think. Having
said that and listening again now, I think Golub is terrific too.
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 20:57:24 UTC
[...]
Just realized that the ending has the same emotional impact on me as
does the closing of Mehta's Turandot. The music explodes out at you
like it was 3D or something.
Bozo
2018-08-17 21:08:49 UTC
Listened to a bunch of Rhapsodys today.
The late Sergio Fiorentino's views on Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and Concerto in F starts about midway into this 10-minute YT, but I think you'll want to start from the beginning as Fiorentino discusses other jazz pianists :

Frank Berger
2018-08-17 21:33:10 UTC
Listened to a bunch of Rhapsodys today.
http://youtu.be/-0Kq8fkceoY
Thanks. Signing off for Sabbath now. Will listen tomorrow. Meanwhile,
here's a review if the first Rhapsody in Blue performance I lifted from
Wikipedia:

"Another reviewer, Lawrence Gilman, a Richard Wagner specialist who
later wrote a devastating review of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess,
commenting on the Rhapsody in the New York Tribune on February 13, 1924,
said:

How trite, feeble and conventional the tunes are; how sentimental
and vapid the harmonic treatment, under its disguise of fussy and futile
counterpoint! ... Weep over the lifelessness of the melody and harmony,
so derivative, so stale, so inexpressive!"
Bozo
2018-08-18 13:20:45 UTC
Joshua Bell plays , and conducts St.Martin in the Fields in, Saint-Saens VC # 3 live at 2018 Proms:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf4kvn

One of the first Classical works I ever heard , remains a fav.A trick is to avoid the slow mov. being too syrupy and Bell avoids here.
Frank Lekens
2018-08-15 07:52:21 UTC
Are these tourists mainly ugly Americans ?
Worse: handsome ones!

Bozo
2018-08-15 12:42:53 UTC
Fou Ts'ong at age 34 , Dubrovnik Summer Festival, 1968 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bf234b

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Rondo in A minor K.511 for piano
Minuet in D major K.355

Claude Balbastre (1724 - 1799)
Romance

Domenico Scarlatti
Sonata in C major K95
Six Sonatas (K474; K132; K461; K115; K215; K260)

Claude Debussy
Preludes (excerpts)
Bozo
2018-08-15 12:45:20 UTC
I'm much relieved as I was not very handsome when there in 1970.
HT
2018-07-27 17:11:22 UTC
Steve, many thanks! What a great performance by YW! What a lovely concerto!