Wang getting publicity before her Munich performance
2017-07-15 11:56:50 UTC
"Hammerklavier" behind her, now takes on the Op.15 Brahms D minor Piano Concerto with Gergiev this Sunday, July 16, at 1:00pm US CDT ( 7:00 pm London ) ,free live broadcast on Medici TV :

http://tinyurl.com/ycp76h6m
dk
2017-07-15 16:37:47 UTC
"Hammerklavier" behind her, now takes on the Op.15 Brahms
D minor Piano Concerto with Gergiev this Sunday, July 16,
at 1:00 pm US CDT ( 7:00 pm London ), free live broadcast
http://tinyurl.com/ycp76h6m
Judging from other Brahms 1 performances of hers already
posted on YT and other streaming services, she does not
have the ability to produce the sound required for the
Brahms piano concerti. Or the music. Maybe she should
take up the violin.

dk
AB
2017-07-15 18:00:41 UTC
"Hammerklavier" behind her, now takes on the Op.15 Brahms
D minor Piano Concerto with Gergiev this Sunday, July 16,
at 1:00 pm US CDT ( 7:00 pm London ), free live broadcast
http://tinyurl.com/ycp76h6m
Judging from other Brahms 1 performances of hers already
posted on YT and other streaming services, she does not
have the ability to produce the sound required for the
Brahms piano concerti. Or the music. Maybe she should
take up the violin.
dk
maybe she should take vitamins.

AB
graham
After asking Gwyneth Paltrow's advice?
dk

dk
Tony
2017-07-16 17:22:13 UTC
Is it fair to say that, for whatever reason, she's making a distinct shift to central European repertoire, i.e. the heavy classics?
Tony
2017-07-16 17:24:03 UTC
or perhaps I should just say the European classics....
Bozo
2017-07-17 02:11:17 UTC
I enjoyed the Brahms here much more than her recent Carnegie "Hammerklavier". Sound hard to judge under these circumstances, and while I believe the first mov. is darker and more conflicted than she presented, others give the mov. a similar "optimistic " reading.She had the heft needed in the final mov., some maturity if a bit quick in the slow mov.

Given all the wonderful solo works Brahms produced, her choice of encores was dreadful. If you must play the Prokofieff 7th Sonata finale, at least don't make it sound as trashy as the jazzed-up Mozart " A la Turca". Several camera angles throughout were also less than flattering.

Free VOD for awhile yet :

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/valery-gergiev-yuja-wang-brahms-mussorgsky/
Herman
2017-07-17 06:43:27 UTC
Given all the wonderful solo works Brahms produced, her choice of encores was dreadful. If you must play the Prokofieff 7th Sonata finale, at least don't make it sound as trashy as the jazzed-up Mozart " A la Turca".
So what were the encores? The usual six-pack of trashy blitz pieces?

Several camera angles throughout were also less than flattering.
I'll pass
Bozo
2017-07-17 11:57:43 UTC
So what were the encores?
The aforementioned final " precipitato" mov. of the Prokofieff 7th Piano Sonata, and a transcription ( Volodos ? ) of the " A la Turca " mov. from Mozart's K.331 .
Herman
2017-07-17 12:31:03 UTC
Only two? I guess that's because it was not a solo recital.
Herman
2017-07-17 18:42:15 UTC
It seems to me that usually when soloists play a concert with an orchestra, they play another kind of encore (more modest) than when they're playing a solo recital. If the mood suits they can do a couple of party encores after a solo recital.
2017-07-17 21:22:23 UTC
It seems to me that usually when soloists play a concert with an orchestra,
they play another kind of encore (more modest) than when they're playing a
solo recital. If the mood suits they can do a couple of party encores after a
solo recital.
I've rarely heard an encore played after a concerto. Even such
dazzlers as Wang, Bolet, Argerich...in fact, I can't remember any who
did.

2017-07-17 22:15:16 UTC
In my experience, it seems to be more frequent, especially among younger pianists, although Buchbinder likes to play a Strauss waltz transcription even after LvB # 3 or Brahms #1 , and Ma gave a Bach piece after his Dvorak Concerto in the Quad Cities a couple years ago.
c***@gmail.com
2017-07-18 05:27:07 UTC
Post by O
I've rarely heard an encore played after a concerto. Even such
dazzlers as Wang, Bolet, Argerich...in fact, I can't remember any who
did.
-Owen
Just off the cuff I remember live Rubinstein (a Chopin Nocturne after Chopin & Saint-Saens concertos in Edinburgh), Menuhin (some Bach after the Beethoven concerto, Edinburgh again)), Entremont (some Rameau after both Ravel concerto, in Milan), Argerich (Bach after a Chopin concerto, in Milan), Maria Tipo (Schumann's Warum after a Mozart concerto, in Milan). It seemed rare in the UK, semi-expected in Italy)
Bozo
2017-07-17 12:31:00 UTC
I'll pass
Worth a listen, IMHO, especially slow mov. The cello section seemed to like her playing throughout. Skip the encores.
Herman
2017-07-17 15:42:10 UTC
I'll pass
Worth a listen, IMHO, especially slow mov. The cello section seemed to like her playing throughout. Skip the encores.
Alas I never listen to Brahms first Piano Concerto. I love nr 2.

I still have a problem with the early big full-fusted stuff.

Maybe when I'm old and gray.
AB
2017-07-17 18:49:10 UTC
I'll pass
Worth a listen, IMHO, especially slow mov. The cello section seemed to like her playing throughout. Skip the encores.
Alas I never listen to Brahms first Piano Concerto. I love nr 2.
I still have a problem with the early big full-fusted stuff.
Maybe when I'm old and gray.
already TALK and ACt like you are old and grey:-)

AB
Herman
2017-07-17 20:08:10 UTC
I think you're at least twenty years older than me, friend.
AB
2017-07-18 00:41:08 UTC
Post by AB
already TALK and ACt like you are old and grey:-)
AB
I think you're at least twenty years older than me, friend.
a lot more than that!(but I think young):-)

AB
Herman
2017-07-18 06:21:00 UTC
So, encores for a concert soloist are rather rare, and they are usually short and intended to take the heat off, rather than stir a frenzy.
dk
2017-07-18 08:35:50 UTC
So, encores for a concert soloist are rather rare,
and they are usually short and intended to take
the heat off, rather than stir a frenzy.
Interesting take. So, no Feux Follets or Islamey?

2017-07-18 12:40:23 UTC
From the New York Times obituary of Rudolf Serkin :

"Among the dozens of recordings he made, those in which he teamed as a chamber-music partner with Adolf Busch, the German violinist, are especially prized by collectors. It was Mr. Busch who promoted the young pianist's European career, presenting him as a soloist in Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 at Mr. Serkin's Berlin debut in 1921.

Mr. Serkin, recalling this in the magazine Clavier, said: "I was 17 years old. At tne end of the concert, because it had been a great success, Busch pushed me out, saying I should play an encore. 'What shall I play?' I asked. 'The Goldberg Variations,' he replied, as a joke. (Without repeats, the Bach work takes half an hour to perform.) And I took him seriously. When I finished there were only four people left: Adolf Busch, Arthur Schnabel, Alfred Einstein [ the musicologist ] and me."
graham
2017-07-18 13:30:01 UTC
So, encores for a concert soloist are rather rare, and they are usually short and intended to take the heat off, rather than stir a frenzy.
Beecham said that after a "solemn" work he would have the orchestra play
something rousing and if the final piece on the program was rousing, he
would have them play a quietish piece as an encore.
Al Eisner
2017-07-19 21:43:28 UTC
I'll pass
Worth a listen, IMHO, especially slow mov. The cello section seemed to like her playing throughout. Skip the encores.
Alas I never listen to Brahms first Piano Concerto. I love nr 2.
I still have a problem with the early big full-fusted stuff.
fusted?

Wikipedia:
fusted (comparative more fusted, superlative most fusted)
(obsolete) mouldy; having a bad smell

But I prefer the Urban Dictionary's definition - I can't quote it here,
but see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fusted
Post by Herman
Maybe when I'm old and gray.
Or more fusty? :)
2017-07-29 15:10:43 UTC
Wang and Kavakos at this year's Verbier Festival playing Schubert,Debussy,Bartok:

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/leonidas-kavakos-yuja-wang-schubert-debussy-bartok/
Tony
2017-07-17 16:05:46 UTC
her choice of encores was dreadful.
Just as an invisible hand is guiding (or conducting) her towards more mature, central classics, the same hand will eventually suggest that she learns to align her encores with the spirit of what she just finished. More of a causal swing than what sounds pretty atrocious here.
2017-07-17 16:34:59 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Bozo
her choice of encores was dreadful.
Just as an invisible hand is guiding (or conducting) her towards more mature,
central classics, the same hand will eventually suggest that she learns to
align her encores with the spirit of what she just finished. More of a causal
swing than what sounds pretty atrocious here.
Horowitz had a pretty standard (and limited) set of encores that he
cycled through. In addition to his homemade stuff (Carmen variations),
he was often with Traumerie, Enticelles, Stars and Stripes (!).

2017-07-17 04:58:06 UTC
"Hammerklavier" behind her,
I doubt this is what Ludwig
intended for this sonata.