Complete Erato Recordings Andre Cluytens
Add Reply
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-07-15 23:55:53 UTC
I've listened to the first 21 cds of this set and there are some wonders here. Currently listening to
Le Martyre of Debussy. So far the only gripe I have is the noticeable pre-echo in these recordings
and post-echo, if such a word exists. I hope that, as the source material progresses in technology,
these defects will diminish. The Sebastien material is largely spoken with the musical portions played beautifully. Not understanding French doesn't help either. Five hours of the original would have been even more trying.

I'm glad, however, to have this set and look forward to hearing the rest of it.
Jerry
2017-07-16 16:27:37 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I've listened to the first 21 cds of this set and there are some wonders here. Currently listening to
Le Martyre of Debussy. So far the only gripe I have is the noticeable pre-echo in these recordings
and post-echo, if such a word exists. I hope that, as the source material progresses in technology,
these defects will diminish. The Sebastien material is largely spoken with the musical portions played beautifully. Not understanding French doesn't help either. Five hours of the original would have been even more trying.
I'm glad, however, to have this set and look forward to hearing the rest of it.
What's the story with the Shostakovich Symphony No. 11? According
to the listing on Amazon, it's a mono recording. Yet
there is a Testament reissue that claims to be in stereo (though
review notes an odd patch of mono sound lasting a minute or less).

Was it recorded at the same sessions that yielded the piano
concerti played by Shostakovich?

Jerry