New Borodin Quartet Decca Shosty String Quartet box
2018-08-11 14:14:16 UTC
Curious to learn about what recordings are included

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07G28PHV5/
wkasimer
2018-08-11 18:37:03 UTC

I assume they're new recordings.
Herman
2018-08-12 06:43:28 UTC
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 4:14:18 PM UTC+2, Randy Lane wrote:
> Curious to learn about what recordings are included
>
> https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07G28PHV5/

It's a totally new quartet. The primarius, Ruben Aharonian, joined the Borodin in the late nineties.

This is from the 'legacy' page of the quartet's website:

"Throughout all these [member] changes, the Borodin Quartet has retained its distinct identity. “As each newcomer joins,” as the Quartet believes, “he hears the existing members playing in a very recognisable style, so he is automatically soaking up the tradition. It’s not formal teaching, as if your colleagues are correcting you. A quartet is in a permanent state of studying from each other. It’s as natural a process as could exist, learning while performing with your elder colleagues.”

Note the word "believes".

I have the same beef with the Juilliard String Quartet. I wish these bands would at some point just disband and / or take a new name. Or at least make it the New Borodin Quartet.

One can say a lot of bad things about the Amadeus Quartet, another brand name group, but at least they didn't do this.
Herman
2018-08-12 07:19:03 UTC
This doesn't mean this cannot be a good DSCH recording. I have no idea.