"...Attract[ing] far more respect than genuine affection"
2018-08-05 04:33:02 UTC
Besides Beethoven's op.133, are there any other classical works/masterpieces that fall into that category?:

http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics3/grossefuge.html
Herman
2018-08-05 08:37:37 UTC
"Affection" is the wrong word. The Fuge,performed as the conclusion of the entire 130 quartet is a beautiful piece of music. Occasionally terrifying, but nonetheless beautiful, haunting and unforgettable if performed live.

Note that Gutmann's "affection" quote comes from a critic who died a 120 years ago. It's perfectly alright to say that the GF did not get a lot of affection of conservative Victorian critics, but essentially that's completely irrelevant to how we feel about this piece today.
dk
2018-08-10 02:03:35 UTC
On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 1:37:40 AM UTC-7, Herman wrote:
> "Affection" is the wrong word. The Fuge,performed as the
> conclusion of the entire 130 quartet is a beautiful piece
> of music. Occasionally terrifying, but nonetheless beautiful,
> haunting and unforgettable if performed live.
>
> Note that Gutmann's "affection" quote comes from a critic
> who died a 120 years ago. It's perfectly alright to say
> that the GF did not get a lot of affection of conservative
> Victorian critics, but essentially that's completely
> irrelevant to how we feel about this piece today.

Not to mention it is after all the Grossest Fugue! ;-)