Claudio Arrau: Complete Philips and American Decca Recordings (80CD)
dajokr
2017-11-30 08:09:47 UTC
Coming in March:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/claudio-arrau-the-complete-philips-american-decca-recordings/hnum/8021455
Wolfgang Sebastian Beethoven
2017-11-30 23:54:24 UTC
Finally! I have been waiting years for a truly complete set. I am very excited!
h***@btinternet.com
2017-12-01 20:21:41 UTC

Does this contain a remastered 1952 Diabelli Variations?
Wolfgang Sebastian Beethoven
2017-12-14 22:58:58 UTC
The contents below are as listed on JPC:

CD 1-11 Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 1-32; Eroica-Variationen op. 35; Variationen op. 34 & WoO. 80; Rondo op. 51 Nr. 2 (analoge Aufnahmen)
CD 12-14 Beethoven: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1-5; Tripelkonzert op. 56 (Henryk Szeryng, Janos Starker, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink)
CD 15 & 16 Beethoven: Violinsonaten Nr. 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8
CD 17-25 Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 1-13, 15-28, 30-32; Andante favori WoO. 57; Variationen WoO. 80 (digitale Aufnahmen)
CD 26 Beethoven: Diabelli-Variationen op. 120
CD 27-29 Beethoven: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1-5 (Staatskapelle Dresden, Colin Davis)
CD 30-36 Mozart: Klaviersonaten Nr. 1-16, 18; Rondos KV 485 & 511; Adagio KV 540; Fantasien KV 397 & 478
CD 37-41 Schubert: Klaviersonaten D. 664, 894, 958-960; Impromptus D. 496, 899, 935; Moments musicaux D. 780
CD 42-49 Chopin: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2 (London Philharmonic Orchestra, Eliahu Inbal);Preludes Nr. 1-24; Balladen Nr. 1-4; Barcarolle op. 60; Fantaisie op. 49; Scherzi Nr. 1-4; Polonaise op. 61; Nocturnes Nr. 1-21; Walzer Nr. 1-19: Don Giovanni-Variationen; Fantasie über polnische Lieder; Krakowiak
CD 50-56 Schumann: Klavierkonzert op. 54 (Boston Symphony Orchestra, Colin Davis); Abegg-Variationen op. 1; Papillons op. 2; Fantasie op. 17; Nachtstücke op. 23; Carnaval op. 9; Klaviersonaten Nr. 1 & 2; Fantasiestücke op. 12 & 111; Symphonische Etüden op. 13; Arabeske op. 18; Kinderszenen op. 15; Kreisleriana op. 16; Waldszenen op. 80; Davidbündlertänze op. 6; Blumenstück op. 19; Humoreske op. 20; Novelletten op. 21; Faschingsschwank aus Wien op. 26; 3 Romanzen op. 28
CD 57-62 Liszt: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2 (London Symphony Orchestra, Colin Davis); Klaviersonate h-moll; 5 Etudes de Concert; 6 Polnische Lieder von Chopin; Liebestraum As-Dur; Mephisto-Walzer Nr. 1; Etudes d'execution transcendante; Paraphrasen über Themen aus Verdi-Opern; Annees de pelerinage (Schweiz & Italien / Auszüge); Ballade Nr. 2; Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude; Funerailles; Valse oubliee Nr. 1
CD 63-66 Brahms: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2 (Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink); Balladen op. 10; Händel-Variationen op. 24; Paganini-Variationen op. 35; Klaviersonaten Nr. 2 & 3; Scherzo op. 4
CD 67 Tschaikowsky: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1; Grieg: Klavierkonzert op. 16 (Boston Symphony Orchestra, Colin Davis)
CD 68 Grieg: Klavierkonzert op. 16; Schumann: Klavierkonzert op. 54 (Concertgebouw Orchestra, Christoph von Dohnanyi)
CD 69-71 Debussy: Preludes Heft 1 & 2; Images Heft 2; Suite bergamasque
CD 72-73 Bach: Partiten BWV 825-827, 829
CD 74 Beethoven: Klaviersonate Nr. 23; Liszt: Ballade Nr. 2; Chopin: Scherzo Nr. 1
CD 75 Beethoven: Diabelli-Variationen op. 34; Eroica-Variationen op. 35
CD 76 Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 8 & 29
CD 77 Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 14, 23, 26
CD 78 Chopin: Scherzi Nr. 1-4; Balladen Nr. 1-4
CD 79 Chopin: Impromptus; Barcarolle op. 60; Balakireff: Islamey; Claudio Arrau im Interview
CD 80 Beethoven: Klavierkonzert Nr. 4; Leonore-Ouvertüre Nr. 3 (Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Leonard Bernstein)

I believe CD 75 contains the Diabelli in question.
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-21 13:43:07 UTC
Em quinta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2017 06:09:51 UTC-2, dajokr escreveu:
> Coming in March:
>
> https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/claudio-arrau-the-complete-philips-american-decca-recordings/hnum/8021455

This is really great news for all of us Arrau fanatics...!

Along with the more recent box sets, I've been labouriously collecting second-hand copies of the luxuriantly annotated 90s Arrau Edition (luckily, got them all mint) in the past 10 years. However, things like his second, digital Beethoven traversal remains a much-coveted item...

Ditto the early Diabelli and the late Beethoven concerti set with Davis (probably sluggish as hell, but I want to hear it anyway).

By the way, I've been an occasional reader of topics here, but this is my very first post. I find it great to learn and share about music with really knowledgeable people.

Best,

Théo Amon (Brazil)
drh8h
2018-02-21 18:28:35 UTC
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 8:43:14 AM UTC-5, Théo Amon wrote:
> Em quinta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2017 06:09:51 UTC-2, dajokr escreveu:
> > Coming in March:
> >
> > https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/claudio-arrau-the-complete-philips-american-decca-recordings/hnum/8021455
>
> This is really great news for all of us Arrau fanatics...!
>
> Along with the more recent box sets, I've been labouriously collecting second-hand copies of the luxuriantly annotated 90s Arrau Edition (luckily, got them all mint) in the past 10 years. However, things like his second, digital Beethoven traversal remains a much-coveted item...
>
> Ditto the early Diabelli and the late Beethoven concerti set with Davis (probably sluggish as hell, but I want to hear it anyway).
>
> By the way, I've been an occasional reader of topics here, but this is my very first post. I find it great to learn and share about music with really knowledgeable people.
>
> Best,
>
> Théo Amon (Brazil)

I am really pondering this one. Of course, I have many, but nothing close to all of these recordings. Recently bought the LvB sonatas with Grumiaux just because it was about the only Grumiaux recording I didn't have. One might say I was avoiding it. Arrau's tone, attack and chording are magnificent. But it is not just the often dragging tempi and the end-of-phrase ritardandos; the "wooden" quality B. H. Haggin identified as long ago as the LOC LvB sonatas with Szigeti (1944) is never far from the surface. The pacing is romantic, but the phrasing is often stiff. I just wonder if others agree or disagree with this assessment. A great pianist, no doubt, but I don't get much pleasure from a number of his performances, even many of the early ones.

Dennis
Théo Amon
2018-02-21 19:47:18 UTC
Em quarta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2018 15:28:42 UTC-3, drh8h escreveu:
> On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 8:43:14 AM UTC-5, Théo Amon wrote:
> > Em quinta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2017 06:09:51 UTC-2, dajokr escreveu:
> > > Coming in March:
> > >
> > > https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/claudio-arrau-the-complete-philips-american-decca-recordings/hnum/8021455
> >
> > This is really great news for all of us Arrau fanatics...!
> >
> > Along with the more recent box sets, I've been labouriously collecting second-hand copies of the luxuriantly annotated 90s Arrau Edition (luckily, got them all mint) in the past 10 years. However, things like his second, digital Beethoven traversal remains a much-coveted item...
> >
> > Ditto the early Diabelli and the late Beethoven concerti set with Davis (probably sluggish as hell, but I want to hear it anyway).
> >
> > By the way, I've been an occasional reader of topics here, but this is my very first post. I find it great to learn and share about music with really knowledgeable people.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Théo Amon (Brazil)
>
> I am really pondering this one. Of course, I have many, but nothing close to all of these recordings. Recently bought the LvB sonatas with Grumiaux just because it was about the only Grumiaux recording I didn't have. One might say I was avoiding it. Arrau's tone, attack and chording are magnificent. But it is not just the often dragging tempi and the end-of-phrase ritardandos; the "wooden" quality B. H. Haggin identified as long ago as the LOC LvB sonatas with Szigeti (1944) is never far from the surface. The pacing is romantic, but the phrasing is often stiff. I just wonder if others agree or disagree with this assessment. A great pianist, no doubt, but I don't get much pleasure from a number of his performances, even many of the early ones.
>
> Dennis

Yes, I reckon Arrau isn't the best chamber player out there... I would never trade him for Kempff on chamber pieces by Beethoven, or by any other composer for that matter.

I think of him as a musical phenomenon in itself, quite unique and insoluble. His individual musical decisions, even when seemingly inadequate, are always conscious and show they were really thought over (which accounts for the lack of spontaneity people often find in his recordings). That is surely at odds with chamber music if done on a "per job" basis.

Additionally, the qualities I most admire in Arrau (particularly his gorgeous organ-like tone, with a solid bass grounding) will always be best heard in solo stuff.

Anywhow: this upcoming box set + EMI Icon Series box + Complete RCA Victor & Columbia Recordings box + the 3-CD Rarities 1929-1951 (Warner) pretty much sums up his whole studio legacy, doesn't it?

Théo
Bozo
2018-02-21 20:18:24 UTC
>On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 1:47:25 PM UTC-6, Théo Amon wrote:
> Anywhow: this upcoming box set + EMI Icon Series box + Complete RCA Victor & Columbia Recordings box >+ the 3-CD Rarities 1929-1951 (Warner) pretty much sums up his whole studio legacy, doesn't it?

Don't know, but you may also wish to check out the Marston set :

https://www.marstonrecords.com/collections/piano/products/arrau
George P
2018-02-21 23:21:42 UTC

Seconded!
drh8h
2018-02-21 23:30:49 UTC

I have all the three previous boxes you mention plus the Marston set, and based on what I have heard, they represent him better than just about any of the Philips records I know. Also some live performances. I don't suppose the set will sell out immediately, so maybe I have a few months to think about it. With so many of his recordings already issued on CD, including package sets, I just wonder how big the market for this really is? I think I can admire, but not really like much of it.
Bozo
2018-02-22 02:40:08 UTC

Yes, although I enjoyed, found interesting, his last Chopin Scherzos and Nocturnes on Philips.
Bozo
2018-02-22 02:55:31 UTC
Probably one take :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKQIVtbTPI (Liszt,Paganini Etude # 6,1928 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exX-llenZMM (Chopin,Op.10,#4,Op.25,#1,#2,1929)
Bozo
2018-02-22 15:26:03 UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkHtzdvTUk ( Chopin Waltz,Op.34,# 3,1921 )
drh8h
2018-02-22 20:03:07 UTC

Very impressive pianism, but the opening to me has that "wooden" quality. It even comes through the acoustical recording. His recording of Islamey--same thing, even in the midst of the torrent of notes. I noticed it when I first heard the recording back in the 70s. Probably the two disc IPA/Desmar issue. I am going to take a wild guess Ward Marston transferred it. Of course, he redid it for his own label. Anyone have a copy of the lps? Would be curious to know if I am right.
Bozo
2018-02-22 20:30:41 UTC

Per my Marston cd set, this was originally an English Vocalion. I have no lp.The Marston set acknowledges assistance from IPA and Donald Manildi.
Théo Amon
2018-02-22 11:43:55 UTC
Em quarta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2018 20:30:55 UTC-3, drh8h escreveu:
> On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 2:47:25 PM UTC-5, Théo Amon wrote:

> > > I am really pondering this one. Of course, I have many, but nothing close to all of these recordings. Recently bought the LvB sonatas with Grumiaux just because it was about the only Grumiaux recording I didn't have. One might say I was avoiding it. Arrau's tone, attack and chording are magnificent. But it is not just the often dragging tempi and the end-of-phrase ritardandos; the "wooden" quality B. H. Haggin identified as long ago as the LOC LvB sonatas with Szigeti (1944) is never far from the surface. The pacing is romantic, but the phrasing is often stiff. I just wonder if others agree or disagree with this assessment. A great pianist, no doubt, but I don't get much pleasure from a number of his performances, even many of the early ones.
> > >
> > > Dennis
> >
> > Yes, I reckon Arrau isn't the best chamber player out there... I would never trade him for Kempff on chamber pieces by Beethoven, or by any other composer for that matter.
> >
> > I think of him as a musical phenomenon in itself, quite unique and insoluble. His individual musical decisions, even when seemingly inadequate, are always conscious and show they were really thought over (which accounts for the lack of spontaneity people often find in his recordings). That is surely at odds with chamber music if done on a "per job" basis.
> >
> > Additionally, the qualities I most admire in Arrau (particularly his gorgeous organ-like tone, with a solid bass grounding) will always be best heard in solo stuff.
> >
> > Anywhow: this upcoming box set + EMI Icon Series box + Complete RCA Victor & Columbia Recordings box + the 3-CD Rarities 1929-1951 (Warner) pretty much sums up his whole studio legacy, doesn't it?
> >
> > Théo
>
> I have all the three previous boxes you mention plus the Marston set, and based on what I have heard, they represent him better than just about any of the Philips records I know. Also some live performances. I don't suppose the set will sell out immediately, so maybe I have a few months to think about it. With so many of his recordings already issued on CD, including package sets, I just wonder how big the market for this really is? I think I can admire, but not really like much of it.

Yes, his Philips period isn't appreciated by all. In fact, lately it's been trashed more often than praised.
Funny thing: even when I don't like some of these recordings (say, the Liszt concerti with Davis), I hear it till the end and feel that something important has been said about the work is question. Who knows... maybe it's just the close miking haha

I do remember following his Philips Hammerklavier with the score and just being amazed at how subtly he graded the dynamic and agogic markings. Really microscopic shifts (unfortunately I don't have his edition, on Peters, I think).
drh8h
2018-02-22 14:56:15 UTC

Exactly. But it is usually that grim, unsmiling something we see in pictures of him playing or reading scores. The set comes out in the U.S. in a month, so I will keep thinking about it. Apparently, the marketplace has already decided. His out-of-print Philips recordings can be had for hardly commanding prices. Strange, a man who professed great interest in dance should seemingly lack that very quality in his own playing.
Bozo
2018-02-21 20:12:14 UTC
>On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 7:43:14 AM UTC-6, Théo Amon wrote:
> Ditto the early Diabelli and the late Beethoven concerti set with Davis (probably sluggish as hell, but I want >to hear it anyway).

"Emperor" live in London with Davis, 1983 I think ,and I enjoy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6t3m5AtrHI
HT
2018-02-22 20:47:41 UTC
Op donderdag 30 november 2017 09:09:51 UTC+1 schreef dajokr:
> Coming in March:
>
> https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/claudio-arrau-the-complete-philips-american-decca-recordings/hnum/8021455

Are the Verdi/Liszt paraphrases missing?

Henk
s***@hotmail.com
2018-02-22 21:43:50 UTC
No, Henk, not according to the link you referred to (“Paraphrasen über Themen aus Verdi-Opern”).

Soeren
h***@btinternet.com
2018-02-22 22:01:23 UTC
He's slower in that waltz in 1921 than he was in the Decca recording. It is very lifeless in the long central section, I found it painful to listen to in fact - I'm sure the sound doesn't help.
HT
2018-02-22 22:34:57 UTC
Op donderdag 22 februari 2018 22:43:56 UTC+1 schreef ***@hotmail.com:
> No, Henk, not according to the link you referred to (“Paraphrasen über Themen aus Verdi-Opern”).
>
> Soeren

Soeren, thanks!

Best regards,
2018-03-31 16:52:47 UTC
>On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 2:09:51 AM UTC-6, dajokr wrote:
> Coming in March:

50-minute review today on BBC Radio 3 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09xj170
Théo Amon
2018-08-17 11:35:49 UTC
Em sábado, 31 de março de 2018 13:52:50 UTC-3, Bozo escreveu:
> >On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 2:09:51 AM UTC-6, dajokr wrote:
> > Coming in March:
>
> 50-minute review today on BBC Radio 3 :
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09xj170

BTW, just received mine the day before yesterday and was met with a fine surprise: included are a handful of Beethoven sonatas Arrau set down for American Decca in the fifties (nothing to do with the EMI Legge business from the same decade), among them... a complete mono Hammerklaver! Since there's also a Moonlight sonata there along with the other name sonatas, one can "stuff" them as fillers of his last, digital cycle, which famously lacks a rerecording of both sonatas I mentioned.
Will listen to it and post my impressions here soon.
c***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 15:54:12 UTC

The same 5 Beethoven sonatas that were issued previously in "The Liszt Legacy"? Well worth having! (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=593827)

AC
Théo Amon
2018-08-19 14:23:55 UTC
Em sexta-feira, 17 de agosto de 2018 12:54:15 UTC-3, ***@gmail.com escreveu:

> > > 50-minute review today on BBC Radio 3 :
> > >
> > > https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09xj170
> >
> > BTW, just received mine the day before yesterday and was met with a fine surprise: included are a handful of Beethoven sonatas Arrau set down for American Decca in the fifties (nothing to do with the EMI Legge business from the same decade), among them... a complete mono Hammerklaver! Since there's also a Moonlight sonata there along with the other name sonatas, one can "stuff" them as fillers of his last, digital cycle, which famously lacks a rerecording of both sonatas I mentioned.
> > Will listen to it and post my impressions here soon.
>
> The same 5 Beethoven sonatas that were issued previously in "The Liszt Legacy"? Well worth having! (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=593827)
>
> AC

I reckon so. I don't have this Liszt Legacy box, but the selection matches.

I was savouring the violin sonatas with Grumiaux the other day. It's a pity they didn't bother to record exactly my three favorites (Kreutzer, no. 10 and no. 3)... They can't match Menuhin/Kempff IMHO (no one can), but Arrau is a much better accompanist than his meagre chamber output would suggest.