5th Annual SLIPPED-THROUGH-THE-CRACKS Survey, or, Favorite/Important LP's/78's which STILL haven't been issued on cd yet
2015-01-07 09:06:11 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.

The following recent article says:

- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.

http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl

By the way, here is the link to last year's survey:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
g***@gmail.com
According to Svejda, VERKLARTE NACHT by the Santa Fe Chamber Music Ensemble on NONESUCH is a "virtually perfect recording."
Herman
2015-01-07 10:30:07 UTC
So what?
AB
2015-12-17 17:52:38 UTC
According to Svejda, VERKLARTE NACHT by the Santa Fe Chamber Music Ensemble on NONESUCH is a "virtually perfect recording."
So what?
excellent comment, Herman!
AB
g***@gmail.com
2015-01-27 21:01:49 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
According to the following:

- But what of Coates's legendary recordings of the deep melodrama of Tchaikovsky's Symphony # 5 or the swirling coloristic kaleidoscope of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade? Coates's natural affinity for such works must have produced absolutely stunning results, but the 78s have never been reissued.

http://www.classicalnotes.net/reviews/coates.html
Mark Obert-Thorn
2015-01-27 21:34:49 UTC
- But what of Coates's legendary recordings of the deep melodrama of Tchaikovsky's Symphony # 5 or the swirling coloristic kaleidoscope of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade? Coates's natural affinity for such works must have produced absolutely stunning results, but the 78s have never been reissued.
http://www.classicalnotes.net/reviews/coates.html
Coates' acoustic Tchaikovsky Fifth has been transferred by Ward Marston for Pristine:

https://www.pristineclassical.com/pasc297.html

His acoustic Scheherazade (excerpts only) has not yet come out on CD.

Mark O-T
Bill Anderson
2015-01-27 22:14:34 UTC
As Mark mentioned, the Fifth is available in a fine Marston transfer from Pristine.

My earlier non-commercial transfer can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fxzjy4ldon1

For those unfamiliar with this set, I suggest you download my file. If you like what you hear, then buy the superior sounding Marston transfer...money well spent IMO!

- Bill
g***@gmail.com
2015-01-27 23:07:10 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
Has this Rococo lp of Tiana Lemnitz's farewell recital(?) come out on cd yet?:

http://iucat-test.uits.iu.edu/catalog/2353411
g***@gmail.com
2015-01-27 23:13:14 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
Has this Erika Koth recording of Bach, Schubert and Reger come out on cd yet?:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SG-Erika-Koth-Singt-16-841-/130911868645?pt=B%C3%BCcher_Unterhaltung_Music_CDs&hash=item1e7af496e5
g***@gmail.com
2015-12-17 11:00:21 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
Is there a corresponding cd to this Erna Berger lieder recital lp?:

furrybear57
Brahms lieder with Christa Ludwig and Leonard Bernstein
Mr. Mike
2015-12-18 01:11:39 UTC
I have plenty of nominees, but would like to see this one for the
Gerhard (I have never listened to the Rawsthorne):

Andrew Clarke
2017-04-19 02:09:52 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
I have plenty of nominees, but would like to see this one for the
http://mjq.net/records/G/gerhard.jpg
My belated thanks for reminding me of Gerhard, many of whose works are available from my online supplier. I've listened to a few samples of his work and I intend to hear a lot more.

Rawsthorne is well worth listening to: he and Rubbra are imho the most interesting of the British Second Division. They were remarkably prolific, especially in the case of Rawsthorne, who spent so much time boozing on with people like Constant Lambert.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Kepler
2015-12-18 18:43:50 UTC
The Brahms lieder disc is available as a Japanese Sony cd. Got my copy last year
Andy Evans
2015-12-19 20:02:25 UTC
I'd like to see more arcane humour like Betove. Anybody remember him? Maybe YT is enough here.....

Are all of Peter Ustinov's old recordings on CD? Like the Mozart opera?

These were all wonderful memories for me - 78s of my childhood. Clearly my father had a good sense of humour.
sci.space
2015-12-18 14:06:35 UTC
E Power Biggs - Daquin and Sweelinck, plus all the rest.
g***@gmail.com
2015-12-25 07:53:02 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
Concerning the Wesendonck Lieder on this Urania lp:

Is it included in this cd?:

http://www.public-sharing.com/cgi-bin/apf4.cgi?Operation=ItemLookup&ItemId=B002MBJVT6&myOperation=Image&locale=us
g***@gmail.com
2017-04-10 00:24:39 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
According to the following recent article:

- ...Nearly alone among stereo Swan Lakes [Fistoulari's Phase 4 lp] remains locked on vinyl and has yet to be issued on CD.

http://classicalnotes.net/classics6/swanlake.html
m***@gmail.com
Bored??????
Kerrison
2017-04-10 12:22:52 UTC
- ...Nearly alone among stereo Swan Lakes [Fistoulari's Phase 4 lp] remains locked on vinyl and has yet to be issued on CD.
http://classicalnotes.net/classics6/swanlake.html
This "recent" article (dated 2017) also states that Stokowski's "magnificent recording" of 'Swan Lake' highlights with the NBC Symphony from 1955 "has not yet moved beyond vinyl." One wonders how the writer managed to miss the well-reviewed Cala release in 2006 that was hailed both in print and on-line for its musical and technical excellence ...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2006/july06/Tchaikovsy_swan_CACD0543.htm
p***@classicalnotes.net
2017-04-10 13:39:13 UTC
Simple explanation: I overlooked it. Sorry! Anyway, thanks for pointing this out - I've already revised my article to include it. On the positive side, it shows (a) that people actually do read my stuff and (b) an advantage of publishing on-line rather than traditional print where all you can do is wait for a new edition (if any) or settle for an erratum that no one pays any attention to.
Kerrison
2017-04-10 20:04:58 UTC
Post by p***@classicalnotes.net
Post by Kerrison
One wonders how the writer managed to miss the well-reviewed Cala release in 2006 that was hailed both in print and on-line for its musical and technical excellence ...
Simple explanation: I overlooked it. Sorry! Anyway, thanks for pointing this out - I've already revised my article to include it. On the positive side, it shows (a) that people actually do read my stuff and (b) an advantage of publishing on-line rather than traditional print where all you can do is wait for a new edition (if any) or settle for an erratum that no one pays any attention to.
There's a brief sample of the Cala 'Swan Lake' release on You Tube. Evidently all of Stokowski's RCA NBCSO LPs in 1954-55 were recorded in stereo but only his Prokofiev 'Romeo and Juliet' & Menotti 'Sebastian' coupling was ever issued that way. It seems the rest were considered too 'experimental' for release, due to the stereo engineers putting the mikes in various different positions during the sessions to see which placements sounded the best. Still, even the mono versions sounded pretty good, positively sumptuous in fact ...

g***@gmail.com
2017-04-13 09:07:51 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
- ...Nearly alone among stereo Swan Lakes [Fistoulari's Phase 4 lp] remains locked on vinyl and has yet to be issued on CD.
http://classicalnotes.net/classics6/swanlake.html
Concerning "stereo Swan Lakes...[that have remained] locked on vinyl...yet to be issued on CD", isn't there also Lanchberry's stereo 3-lp which subsequently came out on cd only as highlights?

And doesn't that highlights cd omit Act II Scene 10 (moderato)?

And isn't the 100 BEST BALLET 6-cd box set the only place you can hear Lanchberry's Act II Scene 10 (moderato)?
g***@gmail.com
2017-04-13 09:14:42 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
- ...Nearly alone among stereo Swan Lakes [Fistoulari's Phase 4 lp] remains locked on vinyl and has yet to be issued on CD.
http://classicalnotes.net/classics6/swanlake.html
Concerning "stereo Swan Lakes...[that have remained] locked on vinyl...yet to be issued on CD", isn't there also Lanchberry's stereo 3-lp set which subsequently came out on cd only as highlights?

And doesn't that highlights cd omit Act II Scene 10 (moderato)?

And if you want to hear that, you have to listen to the 100 BEST BALLET 6-cd box set?
Gerard
EMI has isssued all 3 Tchaikovsky ballets by Lanchberry on CD.
Kerrison
I'm not clear if the "Swan Lake" survey is supposed to mention all the 'highlights' LPs but there's a wonderful Capitol 'Full Dimensional Stereo Sound' recording from 1957 (SP 8416) with 14 selections superbly played by the Ballet Theatre Orchestra under Joseph Levine. Needless to say, it hasn't appeared on CD, which is a shame. Incidentally, the same forces recorded Benjamin Britten's orchestrations of Chopin for a wartime American Ballet Theatre production of "Les Sylphides" in New York and that hasn't made it to CD either.
g***@gmail.com
2017-04-19 09:43:50 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
Still unissued Monteux?:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/monteux$20haydn%7Csort:relevance/rec.music.classical.recordings/awftH5j4RGw/KBYeLNwhPecJ
m***@gmail.com
2017-04-19 09:50:59 UTC
The 1970s recording (on Classics for Pleasure) of Maurice Hasson playing Prokofiev 2nd Concerto and Paganini 1st with New Philharmonia.

This was an amazing recording which has sunk without trace. I never understood why Hasson wasn't better known.
Kepler
2017-04-19 19:27:45 UTC
I may have mentioned this before, but it would be wonderful to have a comprehensive reissue of Beverly Sills' various recital and aria LPs, including the ones for Westminster.

How about complete sets of Mitropoulos, Koussevitzky, and Stokowski?
A Stokowski series would be enormous, but perhaps we could hope for at least the Victor 78 recordings with Philadelphia?

Wanda Landowska's Haydn sonatas

All of Rafael Kubelik's CSO Mercury Recordings - I know that the ones never issued in the US made it to CD in Japan, but those are very hard to find.

How about a comprehensive Marian Anderson collection?

On a related issue, there are some opera recordings for which the CD issues omitted tracks from the LP:
Macbeth - Muti, EMI - there was a 3 CD set which was complete, but all subsequent 2 CD issues omit the extra arias
Barbiere - Sills - never complete on CD
Julius Caesar - Sills - arias omitted to fit on two CDs
Are there more similar examples?
sci.space
2017-04-19 20:19:12 UTC
Several weeks ago I picked up a delightful recording on a used Odyssey LP, 32160068, a recital played by Francis Chapelet on the Compenius organ in Frederiksborg. The cover states that it won a Grand Prix du Disque. Wonderful with great reedy stops. The surfaces are OK, might get better with my Spin Clean. I guess organ recordings are pretty low on the companies' priority lists, when even the Biggs recordings are mostly OOP, some never on CD. Hurrah for used book and record stores, cost me just under $1. Worth it just for the Sweelinck "Est-ce Mars" variations.
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 09:38:50 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
Concerning Rethberg's "Porgi Amor" from the following lp, has it ever come out on cd?:

http://assets.rootsvinylguide.com/pictures/rca-lct-1031-vg-ezio-pinza-fritz-kitzinger-piano-elizabeth-rethberg-italian-song_5760164
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-07-10 13:27:08 UTC
http://assets.rootsvinylguide.com/pictures/rca-lct-1031-vg-ezio-pinza-fritz-kitzinger-piano-elizabeth-rethberg-italian-song_5760164
There was this one, from awhile back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ezio-Pinza-Early-Italian-Songs-Mozart-Arias-and-duets-Rethberg-CD-Pearl-/201623904565?hash=item2ef1b8a135:g:G~QAAOSw6WdXiLWo

Mark O-T
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 21:27:35 UTC
Thank you for your quick and informative reply.
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-11 09:29:00 UTC
This year, let's try to not overlook items that have not yet come out on cd, but where its pre-cd format (lp/78) has already been posted on Youtube like E. Crochet's Vox lp's of Faure's solo piano music.
- "There's so much available on records that you just won't find on CD,"
Seward said. That's particularly true with classical music and jazz, he said,
sections of his store which get plenty of traffic.
http://www.recorder.com/news/townbytown/greenfield/14516550-95/dreaming-of-vinyl
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/cracks/rec.music.classical.recordings/jmRZzm41k0M/QD2woUyx0rMJ
Concerning the following Erika Koth EP 2-45-discs, does anyone know if it has since come out on cd?:

2017-07-12 20:52:11 UTC
While we're on the subject, Rosen's Debussy Etudes......
Frank Berger
2017-07-13 01:04:57 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
While we're on the subject, Rosen's Debussy Etudes......
Well, they were on the Sony Rosen "Complete Columbia and
Epic" box, released about 2 1/2 years ago, but OOP, of
course and commanding around $300 on the used market. The
Etudes can also be found in downloadable form, don't know
the cost.
Frank Berger
2017-07-13 02:01:01 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
While we're on the subject, Rosen's Debussy Etudes......
Well, they were on the Sony Rosen "Complete Columbia and
Epic" box, released about 2 1/2 years ago, but OOP, of
course and commanding around $300 on the used market. The
Etudes can also be found in downloadable form, don't know
the cost.
There's one on e-bay at the bargain "buy it now' price of $150.