An updated discography of Vladimir Sofronitsky
Christian Scheen
2016-11-29 15:18:49 UTC
Dear all,

As mentioned last month, here is an updated discography of Vladimir
Sofronitsky. The download link is given on the `welcome page' of this
WordPress blog, next to the PDF icon:

https://sofronitskydiscographie.wordpress.com/

I decided not to go with Mediafire, 1fichier, et al., because I wish to
be able to publish new versions of the PDF file (with corrections,
additions, etc.) without people automatically loosing the old download
link when the previous version has been superseded by the new one.
(All this is CC BY 4.0.)

I would like to thank Farhan Malik for letting me put this on the Web.
Of course, Farhan Malik's permission does not mean he endorses the PDF
file or my work: I am solely responsible for any errors in this
discography. So:

-- if something is right, then all credit should go to Farhan Malik if
it is a pre-1998 release;
-- if something is wrong, then I am the only one to blame;
-- if something is wrong, don't just bitch: contact me if you wish (see
the WordPress page for a contact method).

Please do let me know if you are having trouble downloading the file.

Christian
c***@gmail.com
Already commented on SS. Amazing!!!!
p***@gmail.com
2017-04-30 08:45:16 UTC
Post by Christian Scheen
[...]
Hi Christian, thank you for this! It looks like a really thorough piece of work you have done here - a life's work really. And it is going to be really helpful for me in getting my Sofronitsky collection properly organised and documented... at last!

Pete Taylor
Christian Scheen
2017-05-10 19:55:32 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Hi Christian, thank you for this! It looks like a really thorough
piece of work you have done here - a life's work really. And it is
going to be really helpful for me in getting my Sofronitsky
collection properly organised and documented... at last!
Pete Taylor
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your message. (I apologize for this very late reply...
By the end of April, I foolishly deleted my Thunderbird folder, and
lost the configuration of the nntp.aioe.org server I used. I just
saw your message through the Google Groups interface.)

Are you, by any chance, the Peter Taylor who put up a Web page
dedicated to Sofronitsky in 1999 (under www.richter.ukf.net)? It
was really useful!

Best wishes,

Christian Scheen
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 01:24:54 UTC
Fascinating! Truly monumental.
I wonder if more Liszt recordings could exists - like the Mephisto Waltz 1, and Rhapsody No 9...
Christian Scheen
2017-07-10 17:31:20 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Fascinating! Truly monumental.
I wonder if more Liszt recordings could exists - like the Mephisto
Waltz 1, and Rhapsody No 9...
Thanks! ;) I don't know about those Liszt pieces. The Mephisto-
Waltz No. 1 appear quite frequently in VS's recital programs. The
Rhapsody No. 9, less so. There's a paper by Igor Nikonovich, in
Nikonovich and Scriabin (2008), p. 345-348, where he says that
there's no recording of some masterpieces (see p. 348). This
includes the First Mephisto-Waltz, Rhapsodies No. 2, 9, and 12,
Schumann's Humoreske, Faschingsschwank aus Wien, and Kinderszenen,
Schumann's Second and Third Piano Sonatas, Chopin's Second Sonata,
Third Scherzo, and shorter pieces, Choral Preludes by Bach/Busoni,
Ravel's Sonatina, Balakirev's Islamey, some Sonatas and Fairy Tales
by Medtner, Prokofiev's Suggestion diabolique, among others. Maybe
unknown tapes are sleeping somewhere, but I guess one should not
hold one's breath...

Two months ago, Melodiya issued large excerpts from the October 26,
1951 live recital at the Small Hall of the Moscow Conservatory. But
these excerpts are for now only available as a download-only option,
for instance through Presto Classical (Cat. No.: Melodiya GP15926) as
FLAC files or (320 kb/s) MP3 files:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Melodiya/GP15926

I hope they will issue the recital (or at least those excerpts) as
a physical CD, too... According to Igor Nikonovich, the recorded
pieces were as follows; see Scriabin and Nikolaeva (2013), p. 392:

26.10.1951, at the Small Hall of the Moscow Conservatory:

First part:
1. Glazunov---Sonata No. 2, Op. 75*;
2--5. Liadov---Prelude, Op. 57 No. 1*; Barcarole, Op. 44; A Musical
Snuffbox, Op. 32; Novelette, Op. 20*;
6--7. Scriabin--- Polonaise, Op. 21*; Waltz, Op. 38*.

Second part:
8--11. Rachmaninoff---Moment musical, Op. 16 No. 2; Étude-tableau,
Op. 39 No. 5; Étude-tableau, Op. 33 No. 2; Étude-tableau, Op. 33
No. 7;
12. Blumenfeld---Two Fragments lyriques, Op. 47*;
13--14. Scriabin---Mazurka, Op. 40 No. 2*; Étude, Op. 8 No. 10*;
15. Rachmaninoff---Prelude, Op. 32 No. 12*;
16. Scriabin---Prelude, Op. 17 No. 5*.

(In the above lists, pieces marked with `*' appear on this new issue
by Melodiya, GP15926.)

I suspect some of those pieces (Blumenfeld's Op. 47, Liadov's Opp.
44 and 32, and Scriabin's Op. 8 No. 10) have already been published
on (Melodiya's) LP D16257/8, but I'm not sure yet. The other pieces
are new additions to VS's discography, AFAIK. IMO, it's especially
important for Glazunov's Op. 75 (and Scriabin's Op. 21, for which
there exists only a studio recording made November 3, 1950). Those
excerpts sound like very high quality issues or reissues, based on
one-minute snippets available as (320 kb/s) MP3 files.

Due to lack of time, I haven't yet been able to add this GP15926
edition to the discography.
Christian
m***@gmail.com
Christian
c***@gmail.com
2017-07-16 20:06:31 UTC
Post by Christian Scheen
[...]
A generous person with access to Russian archival material has just posted a batch of unreleased Scriabin Museum material on Symphonyshare. Also some previously un-reissued Richter (hard to believe that there is any!) :-)

AC
h***@btinternet.com
2017-07-16 20:18:40 UTC
I sometimes think that the Scriabin museum material doesn't really show him at his best. You know, the I've never fallen in love with his take on the Chopin sonata, nor the Haydn.
Bozo
2017-07-19 11:32:22 UTC
I sometimes think that the Scriabin museum material doesn't really show him at his best. You know, the I've >never fallen in love with his take on the Chopin sonata, nor the Haydn.
Heard this Arbiter all - Scriabin cd ? :

http://arbiterrecords.org/catalog/scriabin-chez-scriabin-live-at-the-scriabin-museum-1960/
Tony
2017-07-16 20:35:19 UTC
Lots of early unreleased Horowitz recordings too
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-16 22:16:53 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by c***@gmail.com
Also some previously un-reissued Richter (hard to believe that there is any!) :-)
Lots of early unreleased Horowitz recordings too
that was me 8)

enjoy!
c***@gmail.com
2017-07-16 23:10:27 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Tony
Post by c***@gmail.com
Also some previously un-reissued Richter (hard to believe that there is any!) :-)
Lots of early unreleased Horowitz recordings too
that was me 8)
enjoy!
Well, I noticed the "MK" commonality, but didn't want to make assumptions. Didn't think it stood for Mezhdunarodnaya Kniga, though :-)

2017-07-17 01:01:20 UTC
heh, good one!

cheers!