Discussion:
WAYLTL-August 2018
(too old to reply)
Bozo
2018-08-04 22:36:20 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Anton Rubinstein, Cello Concerto # 2 , again ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWtisbDYTg
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-08-04 22:43:21 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 3:36:22 PM UTC-7, Bozo wrote:
> Anton Rubinstein, Cello Concerto # 2 , again ! :
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWtisbDYTg


Adams Death of Klinghoffer. Very depressing but great Adams music.
JohnGavin
2018-08-04 23:07:54 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
An old, venerated recording:

Bach - Well Tempered Clavier I And 2. - Wanda Landowska

At her best, she was transcendent - probably a desert island recording for me.
Raymond Hall
2018-08-05 00:48:20 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Steinberg's Planets. A tad rapid in Mars, but impressive nonetheless. A good Also Sprach too.

Rimsky's opera suites, Jarvi and Schwarz.

Ray Hall, Taree
Bozo
2018-08-05 13:35:17 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 5:36:22 PM UTC-5, Bozo wrote:
> Anton Rubinstein, Cello Concerto # 2 , again ! :
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWtisbDYTg

And his Violin Concerto, again ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPJHQQMQ1A&index=3&list=PLZhhAQZ-N-UawpSCT4eHjCt5OOEk8TRvl
Bozo
2018-08-05 14:46:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 8:35:19 AM UTC-5, Bozo wrote:
> >On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 5:36:22 PM UTC-5, Bozo wrote:
> > Anton Rubinstein, Cello Concerto # 2 , again ! :
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWtisbDYTg
> And his Violin Concerto, again ! :
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPJHQQMQ1A&index=3&list=PLZhhAQZ-N-UawpSCT4eHjCt5OOEk8TRvl

And finally his 3rd Piano Trio, again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3kNexjzacw
Bozo
2018-08-07 21:45:49 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Constance Keene's recording of the Hummel Piano Sonata No.5 in F sharp minor, Op.81 ( 1819 ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdbLs-Zqsno&list=PLAgrEGz1J8tm4iLWZC9nOATj_MMNXZhuP

Great slow mov. seems out of a bel canto opera ( Bellini ( 1801-1835 ), anticipates in a few places the Larghetto mov. of Chopin's 2nd PC ( 1829 ) ; the Hummel final mov. echoes of "Erlkonig " ( 1815 ) ? I read somewhere it was while he was trying to learn this Sonata that Robert Schumann constructed his practice device injuring himself.
Frank Berger
2018-08-07 22:06:05 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/7/2018 5:45 PM, Bozo wrote:
> Constance Keene's recording of the Hummel Piano Sonata No.5 in F sharp minor, Op.81 ( 1819 ) :
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdbLs-Zqsno&list=PLAgrEGz1J8tm4iLWZC9nOATj_MMNXZhuP
>
> Great slow mov. seems out of a bel canto opera ( Bellini ( 1801-1835 ), anticipates in a few places the Larghetto mov. of Chopin's 2nd PC ( 1829 ) ; the Hummel final mov. echoes of "Erlkonig " ( 1815 ) ? I read somewhere it was while he was trying to learn this Sonata that Robert Schumann constructed his practice device injuring himself.
>

I've never been able to figure out when Keene recorded the Hummel sonatas.
Bozo
2018-08-07 22:29:09 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 5:06:12 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> I've never been able to figure out when Keene recorded the Hummel sonatas.

As far as I can determine, the cd 's themselves say recorded at SUNY's Purchase,NY campus Recital Hall, but no date given. The " p " and " c " dates are 2000 for Vols. 1 and 2 , 2001 for Vol.3. Distler's review at Arkiv Music of Vol. 1 just says she has " returned to the recording studio " after years of teaching, gives no " return " date. Arkiv lists as release dates ,as does Amazon, 2000, 2001.
Bozo
2018-08-10 20:40:58 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Frank Bridge's piano music on cd's by Peter Jacobs and Ashley Wass , here Wass :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgpYCB41pTw

Good late Summer evening listening, with the odd glass.
Lewis Perin
2018-08-10 21:39:59 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Scarlatti sonatas by Blandine Verlet on Spotify. As far as I know, this
is not material she’s famous for, but she really digs into the music,
showing a wide range of expression and color. This is far from a
Scarlatti Greatest Hits collection, by the way — most of these pieces
were unfamiliar to me.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / ***@acm.org
http://babelcarp.org
Frank Berger
2018-08-10 22:08:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/10/2018 5:39 PM, Lewis Perin wrote:
> Scarlatti sonatas by Blandine Verlet on Spotify. As far as I know, this
> is not material she’s famous for, but she really digs into the music,
> showing a wide range of expression and color. This is far from a
> Scarlatti Greatest Hits collection, by the way — most of these pieces
> were unfamiliar to me.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin / ***@acm.org
> http://babelcarp.org
>

Heard Taras Bulba (Czech PO, Neumann) on the radio for the first time in
a long while. What a great piece.
HT
2018-08-11 13:51:45 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Revisiting Sibelius symphonies 3, 5 and 7. Sandeling/BSO. With thanks to Steve for the reminder and Ray Hall for Sanderling.

Henk
Bozo
2018-08-11 16:00:17 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
BBC Record Review today ( Aug.11 ) raved again about this Melodiya recording of the Prokofiev 3rd PC by Krainev / Kitayenko :

https://melody.su/en/catalog/classic/20725/

Can be heard complete either at BBCR3 or YT . Very worth a listen, IMHO , if you had not previously when mentioned here earlier , my first hearing today. I may explore acquiring the set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf7vh6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sn3l85vz3k
HT
2018-08-11 16:35:47 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Op zaterdag 11 augustus 2018 18:00:19 UTC+2 schreef Bozo:
> BBC Record Review today ( Aug.11 ) raved again about this Melodiya recording of the Prokofiev 3rd PC by Krainev / Kitayenko :
>
> https://melody.su/en/catalog/classic/20725/
>
> Can be heard complete either at BBCR3 or YT . Very worth a listen, IMHO , if you had not previously when mentioned here earlier , my first hearing today. I may explore acquiring the set.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf7vh6
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sn3l85vz3k

It’s an excellent set. I have it for quite some time. Somehow I prefer the Toradze/Gergiev set - although I’m not a Toradze or Gergiev fan.

Henk
Bozo
2018-08-11 19:39:47 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 11:35:50 AM UTC-5, HT wrote:
>It’s an excellent set. I have it for quite some time....

Thanks. I also heard the Nos. 2 and 5 from the Krainev set. 5 was as amazing as his 3 , but surprisingly I did not find 2 to have the same vitality, originality as 3 and 5. Have not heard 1, 4 yet. Still considering the set. To be clear, the set I've been listening to is the set with the Moscow Phil, not the later set with Frankfurt Radio ( both are with Kitayenko ).
Bozo
2018-08-12 02:22:54 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 2:39:50 PM UTC-5, Bozo wrote:
> Thanks. I also heard the Nos. 2 and 5 from the Krainev set. 5 was as amazing as his 3 , but surprisingly I did >not find 2 to have the same vitality, originality as 3 and 5. Have not heard 1, 4 yet. Still considering the set. >To be clear, the set I've been listening to is the set with the Moscow Phil, not the later set with Frankfurt >Radio ( both are with Kitayenko ).

Nos. 1 and 4 as wonderful as Nos. 3 and 5. Only No.2 , to my ear, does not meet the expectations create by his readings of the other 4. I'm still going to keep an eye out for a cheap set.
HT
2018-08-12 07:39:32 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Op zaterdag 11 augustus 2018 21:39:50 UTC+2 schreef Bozo:
> >On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 11:35:50 AM UTC-5, HT wrote:
> >It’s an excellent set. I have it for quite some time....
>
> Thanks. I also heard the Nos. 2 and 5 from the Krainev set. 5 was as amazing as his 3 , but surprisingly I did not find 2 to have the same vitality, originality as 3 and 5. Have not heard 1, 4 yet. Still considering the set. To be clear, the set I've been listening to is the set with the Moscow Phil, not the later set with Frankfurt Radio ( both are with Kitayenko ).

Thanks! It turns out that I have the set with the Frankfurt Radio.

Henk
Bozo
2018-08-12 12:55:13 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 2:39:35 AM UTC-5, HT wrote:
> Thanks! It turns out that I have the set with the Frankfurt Radio.


You might want to compare Nos.3,5 from the Moscow set at YT.
HT
2018-08-12 19:27:10 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Op zondag 12 augustus 2018 14:55:15 UTC+2 schreef Bozo:
> >On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 2:39:35 AM UTC-5, HT wrote:
> > Thanks! It turns out that I have the set with the Frankfurt Radio.
>
>
> You might want to compare Nos.3,5 from the Moscow set at YT.

Steve, I've heard the 'new' # 3 and like it better than the Frankfurt version. The sound is better too, and that may make a difference. I'll try # 5 - far more difficult to compare. The music speaks less for itself.

Henk
HT
2018-08-13 12:23:54 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Op zondag 12 augustus 2018 21:27:13 UTC+2 schreef HT:
> Op zondag 12 augustus 2018 14:55:15 UTC+2 schreef Bozo:
> > >On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 2:39:35 AM UTC-5, HT wrote:
> > > Thanks! It turns out that I have the set with the Frankfurt Radio.
> >
> >
> > You might want to compare Nos.3,5 from the Moscow set at YT.
>
> Steve, I've heard the 'new' # 3 and like it better than the Frankfurt version. The sound is better too, and that may make a difference. I'll try # 5 - far more difficult to compare. The music speaks less for itself.

I compared #5. Forget the Frankfurt version. The Moscow has a far better sound. Yhe playing seems more free. For # 4 and # 5 Bavouzet remains my favorite. His # 1-3 are a bit disappointing. There are so many great versions out there of these concertos that is almost impossible to compete.

Henk
Bozo
2018-08-13 14:44:29 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 7:23:57 AM UTC-5, HT wrote:
> compared #5. Forget the Frankfurt version. The Moscow has a far better sound.

Thanks. I think you'll like the Moscow Nos. 1 and 4 as well. No.2 in the Moscow set was my disappointment.
HT
2018-08-13 18:53:32 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Revisiting:

Tanski performing the Liszt Petrarch sonnets, Busoni Elegies, Bach/Busoni Goldberg Variations
Syomin playing Chopin, Godowsky, Medtner, Eiges, Albeniz, Busoni and Stanchinsky (a composer I cannot get used to)
Zhukov Beethoven sonatas, a Medtner sonata and the Medtner quintet
Siirala with several Schubert transcriptions, in particular Godowsky's Passacaglia.

Tanski is good. I keep returning to Syomin. There is something in his playing that intrigues me. Zhukov's Beethoven is not quite the Beethoven I prefer to hear. Siirala is a far better pianist and muscian than I remember. I loved the CD and wil revisit it more often. He is at hs best in the Schubert/Godowsky items.

Henk
AB
2018-08-11 18:41:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 12:00:19 PM UTC-4, Bozo wrote:
> BBC Record Review today ( Aug.11 ) raved again about this Melodiya recording of the Prokofiev 3rd PC by Krainev / Kitayenko :
>
> https://melody.su/en/catalog/classic/20725/
>
> Can be heard complete either at BBCR3 or YT . Very worth a listen, IMHO , if you had not previously when mentioned here earlier , my first hearing today. I may explore acquiring the set.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf7vh6
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sn3l85vz3k

yes, very good. Piano sound is not too nice.

AB
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-08-11 16:38:54 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 3:36:22 PM UTC-7, Bozo wrote:
> Anton Rubinstein, Cello Concerto # 2 , again ! :
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWtisbDYTg


The Sibelius symphonies and tone poems in a newly acquired set by Barbirolli
on emi. A very welcome addition to the ones I already own (Sanderling, Davis/Boston, Berglund/Bournemouth, Blomstedt/SFS).
Randy Lane
2018-08-11 18:42:09 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Barbiroli Sibelius coming soon on SACD in Japan
Loading...