Anton Bruckner Symphony No 9 in D minor / NDR Symphony Orchestra Günter Wand, Conductor / Lubecl Cathedral 1989
Add Reply
Haydn House
2017-07-31 07:30:51 UTC
This is the film of the preferred Wand Lubeck Cathedral performance recorded in concert
Anton Bruckner

Enjoy!
HaydnHouse.com
Haydn House
2017-07-31 20:04:10 UTC
Post by Haydn House
This is the film of the preferred Wand Lubeck Cathedral performance recorded in concert
Anton Bruckner
http://youtu.be/YWY6LiPJlN8
Enjoy!
HaydnHouse.com
A review on Amazon and agreed: A heart-felt rendering of this masterpiece. This is by far the ultimate (underline that word) recording of the Ninth... in the same vein of the recording of the Eighth made in this same Luebeck Cathedral a few years back. Both orchestra and Director are truly inspired... The very reverberating acoustics of the Cathedral imposed upon Gunter Wand rather large and "slow" tempi. The result is astounding. The work seems all the more powerful and the sheer grandeur of the music just stands out tremendously. The details of the orchestration stand out and become clear for all to hear. Truly, this version of the Ninth is the most moving rendering I know of. And God only knows how many I have listened to by Gunter Wand, Karajan, Furtwangler, Celibidache, Kempe... just to name these. This is an overwhelming recording I had the immense good fortune of having a video of. I have been hunting for this one on CD for a long time and so I seize the opportunity to purchase it no matter what the price. For this recording is priceless!! An absolute must have!!
m***@gmail.com
2017-08-01 15:13:52 UTC
Against all odds, I think his Koln recording is his best, if primarily for the finale of the first movement, which seethes with an extraordinary intensity. The rest is pretty awesome, too. The Lubeck recordings are entirely worthy, but for me venue does not trump direction.
wkasimer
2017-08-01 16:48:04 UTC
This is the one in the Wand Bruckner box set, yes?
Bob Harper
2017-08-09 21:43:32 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by m***@gmail.com
Against all odds, I think his Koln recording is his best, if primarily for the finale of the first movement, which seethes with an extraordinary intensity. The rest is pretty awesome, too. The Lubeck recordings are entirely worthy, but for me venue does not trump direction.
This is the one in the Wand Bruckner box set, yes?
Yes. Michael Schaffer pointed out--correctly, I think--that it has a
certain 'wildness' that are not present in later recordings. As far as
Wand B 9s, I'd say the one from Japan recorded 11/14/2000 is the best
I've heard. It's on YouTube, but the sound is so-so. Don't know if the
Cds are still available from Japan.