Pianists and their repertoire (surprises)
Add Reply
Tony
2017-08-06 09:11:03 UTC
Those moments you feel surprised about repertoire in a pianist's discography (or in recital).

For example it surprised me to find that Maria Grinberg recorded Bartok's Out of Doors

Yes she played quite a lot of modern music (Sviridov, Weinberg, Prokofiev), but Bartok, though somewhat mainstreamed because of how his PCs have been taken up by so many pianists--always strikes me as a specialty. I think she sounds great though.

Another surprise--to the downside--would be any romantic repertoire by Hamelin. I don't understand why people obsess about this pianist. To me he flatlines in anything romantic or requiring wide dynamics (in sound and emotion).

Gieseking playing Rachmaninoff is a great surprise if you ask me. Unique expressions, the sort that open more thought about the work.

I drifted into the obvious (Gieseking & Hamelin), but I had in mind less often heard about surprises (Grinberg). If you have some I'd like to hear them.
dk
2017-08-06 09:20:18 UTC

dk
HT
2017-08-06 17:06:40 UTC
http://youtu.be/uFbY_wtv0Kw
No Santa Clara hear. Played with a lot of bravura. Thanks!

2017-08-06 17:32:44 UTC
And Haskill playing Rachmaninoff Op.33, # 2 :

dk
2017-08-06 20:03:16 UTC
Post by HT
Post by dk
http://youtu.be/uFbY_wtv0Kw
No Santa Clara hear. Played with a lot of bravura. Thanks!
That was performed before she
was canonized and lost her
brains to Mozart and Boring
van Beethoven.

dk

Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-08-06 12:54:37 UTC
Those moments you feel surprised about repertoire in a pianist's discography (or in recital)[. . .]
Gieseking playing Rachmaninoff is a great surprise if you ask me. Unique expressions, the sort that open more thought about the work.
How about Gieseking playing the Blues (by Tansman)?

http://www.aprrecordings.co.uk/apr2/showentry.php?id=161

Mark O-T
Bozo
2017-08-06 15:37:29 UTC
Post by Tony
If you have some I'd like to hear them.
Maria Yudina, Krenek Piano Sonata No.2,Op.59 :

Although , she did record Hindemith,Berg as well :

http://tinyurl.com/y89k9zwv
HT
2017-08-06 17:08:53 UTC
Post by Tony
For example it surprised me to find that Maria Grinberg recorded Bartok's Out of Doors
http://youtu.be/Tos340AzWi4
One of my favorite Bartok pieces. Very well played.

Henk
Arno Schuh
2017-08-06 17:36:24 UTC
Keith Jarrett plays the WTC. One of the most boring recordings in my
collection!
As a jazz pianist, somebody who is well known for his passionate
improvisations - his WTC is more academic than any other recording of this
cycle in my collection.

Arno
Bozo
2017-08-06 17:53:49 UTC
Artur Schnabel plays Weber’s “Invitation to the Dance “ , 1947 :

Wilhelm Backhaus, Moszkowski’s “ Caprice Espagnol “ ,1928 :

Claudio Arrau, “Islamey “ , 1928 :

Andy Evans
2017-08-06 19:36:31 UTC
Richter playing Liszt - not surprising...

Richter in a wig playing and ACTING Liszt ........ you've probably seen this, but it's pretty funny.

Bozo
2017-08-06 19:58:25 UTC
Cortot,1923 , Scriabin's Etude Op.8, # 12 :