Szell Cleveland Brahms and Beethoven Cyles on SACD
Add Reply
r***@verizon.net
2017-08-09 15:13:11 UTC
I just spotted these on Amazon. The reviews on the Beethoven are very favorable in terms of the improved audio quality, but so far no reviews on the Brahms. Pricey but not ridiculously so if you love these recordings.

Have any members heard these?

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Nine-Symphonies/dp/B01EB6PMB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502287822&sr=8-2&keywords=szell+sacd

Not 100% sure but I suspect that unlike the Original Jackets box, this is the symphonies only and does not have the overtures.

https://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Complete-Symphonies-GEORGE-SZELL/dp/B071XZ1CHT/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502291249&sr=8-5&keywords=szell+sacd

Robert
m***@cloud9.net
2017-08-09 20:09:00 UTC
Post by r***@verizon.net
I just spotted these on Amazon. The reviews on the Beethoven are very favorable in terms of the improved audio quality, but so far no reviews on the Brahms. Pricey but not ridiculously so if you love these recordings.
Have any members heard these?
I have the Japanese pressings of the hybrid SACD discs.
The CD layer's sound is clear but slightly harsh. The SACD layer's sound is clear, with just a trace of harshness, and with more air and space than on the CD layer. Andreas Meyer did the re-mastering. To me, the improvement is real, but not worth $117.-.

Mort Linder
Robert
s***@nycap.rr.com
2017-08-09 22:14:03 UTC
Post by r***@verizon.net
I just spotted these on Amazon. The reviews on the Beethoven are very favorable in terms of the improved audio quality, but so far no reviews on the Brahms. Pricey but not ridiculously so if you love these recordings.
Have any members heard these?
https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Nine-Symphonies/dp/B01EB6PMB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502287822&sr=8-2&keywords=szell+sacd
Robert
"Pricey" is putting it mildly. :-)

MIFrost
s***@gmail.com
Robert
Jon Bell
2017-08-11 11:56:24 UTC
Post by r***@verizon.net
Not 100% sure but I suspect that unlike the Original Jackets box, this is the symphonies only and does not have the overtures.
Indeed this set contains the symphonies only. The overtures are on a
separate SACD released about the same time:

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Overtures/dp/B01EB6PMFG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1502452410&sr=1-1