Upcoming Universal Classics Releases
Dana John Hill
2017-06-21 20:56:30 UTC
"Amadeus Quartet: The Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon". This
isn't the whole story, because I see titles from Decca, Westminster, and
others included - not just DG. This set looks big. It resembles the
Karajan 1980s box, with original jackets, too. I don't think I knew how
much this ensemble had recorded.

"Ashkenazy: Artist Choice - The Solo & Chamber Recordings". On the heels
of the big "Complete Piano Concerto Recordings" box comes this one of
solo stuff. I note that it doesn't claim to be "complete". I don't know
how much is missing, but it appears to be in the neighborhood of fifty CDs.

I already mentioned the new "Decca Sound: The Piano Edition", and the
Barenboim and Janowitz boxes.

Decca is also releasing select Solti/CSO discs on LP in what is probably
an absurdly expensive set compared to what one could pay for the
original LPs at a used shop.

Dana
J.A.W. Koers
2017-06-22 00:40:35 UTC
Can you provide a link and does it say when the Ashkenazy set will be released? Thanks.
Randy Lane
2017-06-22 02:06:15 UTC
Tower Japan link.

http://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2017/06/20/1103

Release date there 08/20/2017

On 56 CDs
J.A.W. Koers
2017-06-22 12:09:56 UTC
The release date in Japan in June 20, a couple of days ago.
j***@yahoo.com
2017-06-22 03:24:18 UTC
Someone posted below link in the Steve Hoffman Forums a while back -don't know how legit it is. But it looks like Universal is planning a 108 CD complete Solti/Chicago box.

http://cdon.se/musik/solti_georg/complete_chicago_recordings_(108cd)-40570980
Frank Berger
2017-06-22 14:29:53 UTC
Post by Dana John Hill
"Amadeus Quartet: The Complete Recordings on Deutsche
Grammophon". This isn't the whole story, because I see
titles from Decca, Westminster, and others included - not
just DG. This set looks big. It resembles the Karajan 1980s
box, with original jackets, too. I don't think I knew how
much this ensemble had recorded.
"Ashkenazy: Artist Choice - The Solo & Chamber Recordings".
On the heels of the big "Complete Piano Concerto Recordings"
box comes this one of solo stuff. I note that it doesn't
claim to be "complete". I don't know how much is missing,
but it appears to be in the neighborhood of fifty CDs.
It seems that my favorite Ashkenazy performances,
Prokofiev's sonatas for violin and sonata with Perlman, are
not included. Seems odd.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-06-22 16:04:08 UTC

Soeren
Frank Berger
2017-06-22 17:25:30 UTC
????
s***@hotmail.com
2017-06-22 17:36:52 UTC
One might assume you are suffering from delusions of grandeur - I mean how could Universal leave out your particular favorite recording :-)

I actually tried to find it on Spotify but couldn't. I am not a fan of Ashkenazy. He seems to make almost everything sound the same. Maybe it's just me.

Soeren
Frank Berger
2017-06-22 17:48:40 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
One might assume you are suffering from delusions of grandeur - I mean how could Universal leave out your particular favorite recording :-)
I actually tried to find it on Spotify but couldn't. I am not a fan of Ashkenazy. He seems to make almost everything sound the same. Maybe it's just me.
Soeren
I would have thought that well-known, well thought-of
recordings of these works from the 1970,s that have been in
and out of print over the years would have been included.
Not BECAUSE it is a favorite of mine. AND, I don't really
care because I have the recordings and have no intention of
buying the Askhkenazy box. It seems you read a whole lot
into my post which wasn't there.
MiNe109
It's actually good. I have the old lp.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-06-22 18:00:52 UTC
Frank, I know what you meant - it just made me smile anyway - too bad if you can't do the same.

I liked the first movement (Perlman more than Ashkenazy). The second movement not so much. Don't think I will give up my preference for Oistrakh/Richter and Mintz/Berman. Still listening, though.

Soeren
Frank Berger
2017-06-22 19:12:12 UTC
Wilkomirska/Schein
Oscar
2017-07-10 00:38:57 UTC
Arrived in the post yesterday, during a record heat wave in Southern Calif.: the news 3CD/1BD reissue of Karl Böhm's classic 1966 live recording of Wagner's Tristan und Isolde with Nilsson, Windhassen, Ludwig, Talvela, Waechter, and the Bayreuth Festival Orchestra. These new opera releases from UME are some of my favorite releases of the last few years. This one has cast names and tracklist on the first few pages, then Wieland Wagner's essay Thoughts on the Mythical in Wagner's Tristan und Isolde on pp.6-9. Richard Osborne, the man who called Karajan 'Fluffy', wrote another essay, Böhm Records Tristan at Bayreuth (pp.11 & 12), which is followed by the Synopsis on pp.13-15. Pics of the cast follow, along with German and French translations of the essays and Synopsis. Tri-lingual libretto on pp.37-121. Package credits on p.132. Standard cardboard book with original jacket art encases everything. This is the definitive stereo recording of Tristan und Isolde, no debate necessary, please unfriend me on Facebook if you disagree ;-P

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/4797291

Coming next week in this series from UME: Solti/Nilssons Salome and Elektra operas on separate 2CD/1BD sets. Yes.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 03:45:59 UTC
I agree it is the best stereo Tristan and sounds wonderful on bluray if not as warm as the 62 Philips Parsifal (when is that due out in bluray???). Very strongly cast and Windgassen is really superb in Act 3. I still think the Liebesduett is too fast but I have learned to live with it. I recently bought the Karajan Price Tosca on bluray which sounds spectacular and ditto for the Sutherland Turandot. Have also received the Sutherland Lucia and the Price Aida but haven't heard them yet
Oscar
2017-07-10 06:56:36 UTC
Sutherland Lucia on Blu-ray w/ libretto and liner note is a gift to humanity. One of my favorite opera recordings ever. I say that a lot, it seems, but really... All thx to the catalog producers at UME.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 20:50:40 UTC
I heard it today - you may have heard it before but as they used to say in the old movies "Baby you ain't heard nothin' yet" It really is superb
w***@hotmail.com
I want the Furtwangler Tristan in hi-res.
Oscar
2017-07-15 02:34:46 UTC
Furtwaengler Tristan was issued on SACD in Japan at the end of 2011. I have it.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-15 04:25:28 UTC
Oscar - do you find it a big improvement over previous reissues
w***@hotmail.com
2017-07-15 18:18:46 UTC
spendy
Oscar
2017-07-15 02:38:16 UTC
I want the plastic, that's who. Don't want the gubmint knowing what I'm listening to, and when. After all, they may conclude, based on my tastes, that I'm some classical "weirdo" who needs to be monitored in the interest of "social realism". I do listen to a _lot_ of Harry Partch!
w***@hotmail.com
2017-07-14 23:35:49 UTC
I will take the HDTracks downloads of the hi-res versions. Who needs all that plastic?
2017-07-17 12:49:48 UTC
Post by Oscar
Richard Osborne, the man who called Karajan 'Fluffy',
I was under the impression that this sobriquet was bestowed by a
girlfriend. Perhaps it was first reported by Osborne?

-Owen
s***@hotmail.com
2017-07-19 15:46:55 UTC
Some further upcoming releases in August or September:

Kissin playing Beethoven (DG, 2 cd's)
Freire playing Brahms op. 5, 119 and pieces from other op. (Decca)
Zimerman playing Schubert D 959 & 960 (DG)

That last one I am definitely getting! I have never been disappointed with any of Zimerman's recordings. To bad his early recordings aren't readily available on cd. I should like to hear both his Chopin waltzes and Mozart sonatas.

Also, though not on Universal, Argerich's last Lugano three cd set is something to look forward to in the coming months.

Soeren
Randy Lane
2017-07-19 18:02:44 UTC
And I read somewhere this was the last Lugano festival, at least for Argerich.
wkasimer
2017-06-22 17:45:13 UTC
Not odd. Recorded by RCA, not a Universal label.
Frank Berger
Ah. Which is why I said "seems." Thanks.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-06-22 17:52:25 UTC
Thanks - found it on Spotify on a 9 cd Sony collection and listening right now. The collection also contains Mozart and Leclair duos with Zukerman. That I can recommend!

Soeren